Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chomp8645 posted:

If anyone is familiar with customs procedures please correct me, but I have a hunch the situation is being greatly exaggerated and they're just using customs as an easy scapegoat for their own fuckups.

I haven't been following the situation too closely...but do they really have any reason to lie, especially in such an egregious manner?

BonHair posted:

Seriously, doesn't that count as destroying goods somehow?

Technically nothing was destroyed...just unpacked. Still lovely though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Chomp8645 posted:

If anyone is familiar with customs procedures please correct me, but I have a hunch the situation is being greatly exaggerated and they're just using customs as an easy scapegoat for their own fuckups.

The same thing happened to Machine of Death when it came into the US as well.

Also, have you ever had a TSA agent 'randomly' rummage through your bags? Your poo poo gets strewn everywhere and haphazardly put back in your bag. You go be all you can be as a 'dissatisfied customer'.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

I'd agree but they managed to ship out to the rest of the world, so i'm more inclined to believe customs screwed them over.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

I tend to do this for new games or games with players who haven't played that game before as a way of teaching them to analyze the game state. Hopefully they find it helpful instead of annoying.

Yeah, I do this too with new players, and I really hope it's not a bother. I usually plan out the move beforehand, preferably before my turn, and just go "I do this because this, which allows me to do this, which is awesome". I guess it's different from "I guess I could do this. Or I could do this? Maybe this? But if I did the first thing I could get thingie! But then I wouldn't get other thingie. Hmm."

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Pimpmust posted:

Anyone played the earlier editions of ESCAPE FROM THE ALIENS IN OUTER SPACE?

That game looks like a pretty good take on that idea we had bumping around like 3000 posts ago, with the "Alien" setting and the survivors trying to escape the station/colony.

I haven't played it, but I'm also interested. They had a print and play in a humble bundle a few weeks ago, but that's gone now. Anyone know if it's still possible to get the pnp legally?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Tuscany has a huge number of bits, I'd say it's totally worth the extra money. It adds a ton more to the game just based on the shear number of games you would need to play to activate all the expansions.
E: Also, the metal coins are great. I realize it's a huge pile of money to just roll the dice on, but the metal coins are incredibly satisfying to play with.

Adding new rules all the time is a great way to piss my wife off, and it sounds like the base game is underwhelming so I'm passing on it. Thanks for the info.

(You'll be unsurprised to learn we don't play Dominion together.)

Edit: the official motto of US Customs is "gently caress you".

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

bobvonunheil posted:

Oh man, if only getting rid of terrible players was always this easy/entertaining.

So far all I've had to deal with is Mr Narrates-His-Options-Out-Loud and Mr Never-Thinks-About-His-Turn-Before-It-Happens.

Well, that's the thing. He was also a bit of the second. Friday we were playing Blood Bowl Team Manager. It was the first time for four of the five players. He was constantly spacing out during rule explanations which meant I had to explain rules several times and then even after the third time of having Sprint explained to him ("if a guy with that symbol is played, you can discard a card from your hand and draw another card") he'd ask what the symbol meant.

Then, during everyone else's turn he'd be completely focused on everything but the game, and when we finally got him to understand it was his turn, we'd have to explain everything we'd just done.

So in short, I disliked playing with the guy already, so I am not at all sorry he decided to explode in a drama bomb.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 9, 2015

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
poo poo, I threw in an extra $50 to back Dungeon Lords at the "Imps & Indica" level. :(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PerniciousKnid posted:

Adding new rules all the time is a great way to piss my wife off, and it sounds like the base game is underwhelming so I'm passing on it.

The base game is not underwhelming at all. Tuscany just adds pretty much a full new game on the top.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Dominant species questions. A lot of the reviews I've read mention it is a very swingy chaotic game. In particular people mention that it is common for who is winning to change from turn to turn. Does this affect its strategic depth? Is it possible to actually plan ahead, have a strategy, etc... Does the better player usually win?

Also how many players does the game work best with? I know it goes up to 6. What's realistic though. Are 3 players or 6 players actually fun?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Megasabin posted:

Dominant species questions. A lot of the reviews I've read mention it is a very swingy chaotic game. In particular people mention that it is common for who is winning to change from turn to turn. Does this affect its strategic depth? Is it possible to actually plan ahead, have a strategy, etc... Does the better player usually win?

Also how many players does the game work best with? I know it goes up to 6. What's realistic though. Are 3 players or 6 players actually fun?

The thing about DS is that the points aren't really an indicator of how good you're doing at the moment, board position is. People don't take the time to look at domination cards so they think it's swingy, when in reality if they looked at the state of the board and the cards they would know not to cluster all their species on a single hex. Endgame scoring, which is based entirely on board position, is huge and probably the single biggest factor in points, and that is very much something you can plan ahead for and have strategies for.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Megasabin posted:

I probably wouldn't play with less than four, with three or fewer I think you have to start controlling multiple species and the game already burns your brain enough controlling just one.

Dominant Species is 'swingy' in the sense that there can be big power plays that shift the tide considerably and net you a lot of points all at once, but it's all pretty cumulative. You're trying to set up those big plays and hinder your direct opponents from doing so simultaneously, you have to be planning in the long term and be able to adapt in the short term if someone manages to subvert your plans. So yeah, it's pretty strategic and the better players tend to dominate.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I probably wouldn't play with less than four, with three or fewer I think you have to start controlling multiple species and the game already burns your brain enough controlling just one.

Dominant Species is 'swingy' in the sense that there can be big power plays that shift the tide considerably and net you a lot of points all at once, but it's all pretty cumulative. You're trying to set up those big plays and hinder your direct opponents from doing so simultaneously, you have to be planning in the long term and be able to adapt in the short term if someone manages to subvert your plans. So yeah, it's pretty strategic and the better players tend to dominate.

Dominant Species is swingy and mean. It is a very good game, but if you are one to get mad when someone kills all your animals in a hex, then this might not be the game for you. (Glaciation is a bitch)

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Megasabin posted:

I've played Dominant species with 3 multiple times and always enjoyed it. It's probably bad with 2 though. I'd say the better player might not always win due to political reasons, but it's an intensely strategic game, just with the ability to have huge swings in points / board development. It's not randomness or luck, it's just the nature of the game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I just wish I could get a group to play...love the game and NEVER get to play it.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Lorini posted:

I just wish I could get a group to play...love the game and NEVER get to play it.

Heh, we have 2 copies floating around our play group and have had two full groups of 6 playing the game at the same time.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Lorini posted:

I played last year with a couple of my euro-loving friends and they HATED it... too confrontational and they're not used to games where you can lose everything you've set up. But it really is a great game with a lot of interesting strategies, and the worker placement is top-notch too.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
DS is great for getting down and dirty in gaming. As what people have said before, board position is important. You can get glaciated all over the place and get knocked around but you can try to use your species' ability the best you can to score. People sometimes forget about scoring points and just want cubes everywhere.

Game is pretty good with 3. I had a blast with 5. Did 3 players with 2 animals each once and that was fun as well but tough to balance the species; however, you can create some crazy moves using your species to create scoring windows.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

e: nevermind, my tash-kalar is shipping today!!! finally

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 9, 2015

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Anybody have any experience with Fief 1429?

FTJ
Mar 1, 2003

BTB's Monty Python pro-star!

Chomp8645 posted:

I work in shipping and I don't doubt for a second the reason is US customs. You guys have the worst customs system in the western world.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

FTJ posted:

I work in shipping and I don't doubt for a second the reason is US customs. You guys have the worst customs system in the western world.

We're also Number 1 in people incarcerated...U.S.A! U.S.A.! U.S.A.!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I played it, go look back at my post history for the "just played" post I made on it a few weeks ago.

TLDR: I enjoyed it, but I have no point of comparison for games of its type besides like Risk and maybe Rex. I think we should have been playing the negotiation game a lot better. Mills are kinda OP. Lot of fun stories about Isabelle d'Arc getting assassinated as she was about to mount an assault on a capital/stronghold/whatever it's called to get a Fiefdom. LOT of small rules and a kinda lovely manual means that it's sort of hard to teach, but general flow is pretty good.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

BonHair posted:

I tend to learn games by soloing them, with me playing however many people is needed (though badly sometimes).

I need to start doing this more. I learned Twilight Struggle by finding a guy that made a version of the game I could download and played against myself (client/server running on the same PC). It worked fine until I gained enough knowledge of the game to know that he had some cards not working right, one chart on the board for Presence/Domination/etc, had the wrong scores, and some other issues.

FTJ posted:

I disagree. I've seen what happens when you have a customs system that does nothing other than take bribes or the occasional work when a stick gets stuck in someone's butt. Stuff like a M72 LAW going through because of it was wrapped in a towel.

Madmarker posted:

If we're looking at incarceration rates of prisoners per 100,000 population, then USA is #2

#1 is Seychelles with 868 vs our 707. It's some sort of little tourist island where you visit and apparently end up in prison.

But yes, for prison population total, we win.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 9, 2015

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

TastyLemonDrops posted:

No, but I have a preorder for it from CSI. Read a lot about it, and it sounds great. Supposed to ship this month sometime.

Speaking of... here's a bit of weirdness. Got a preorder through them, for Fief (49.99), Takenoko ($33.99), Kill the Overlord (13.49) and two packs of sleeves (4.98 total).

102.45 subtotal, minus 2.5% means 99.89 total, still with free shipping.

I just got a partial refund on this through paypal of 57.50 for this order, with no note attached, no email from them, all the items are still available to order from the site, my order is still processing and none of the items combined add up to 57.50.

Any ideas? I'll wait until tomorrow to see if they send an email, but this is odd.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'd email them asap. They respond quickly usually, although they are east coast so don't know how long their support works

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So it's awesome that Dungeon Lords Anniversary has finally made in through customs I'll finally be able to get a wooden box version (probably at some terrible mark up :sigh:). But it seems while that was happening a second crate of normal retail versions got sent through without issue. Which of course means dirty non-kickstarters will get their regular retail versions before Loyal Backers! Oh the horror! So of course the comments on the Kickstarter page are filled with such amazing things like:

Big dumb man baby posted:

The Ultimate in Kickstarter Doom for future projects being backed... Retailers and online stores get it for sale before the Loyal Backers.
Too bad. I liked CGE games too. But now they are on that bad list, that says "Do Not Back or Support Future projects". There is no excuse. If one container is held up... Don't ship the games out. Everybody waits. Period.

special unique snowflake posted:

Actually, I would expect a company to "sit on" inventory to ensure the early backers are rewarded. As an example, take Dice Hate Me Games and their game, "Brew Crafters." Quoting directing from BGG forums:
"...we already have our shipment in hand at the warehouse. We just won't make it available for retail sale until all Kickstarter copies and pre-orders have been sent out. That's the delay for retail right now."

idiot posted:

I understand the customs issue; it happens. However, to me it is inexcusable that the game is available at retail before Kickstarter backers receive their copies. Mr. B Games has made my list of companies that I will no long support via Kickstarter.

I would never do a Kickstarter holy poo poo I could not deal with being beholden to people like this. Clearly a company should refuse to make money because some nerds might not be able to lord their purchases over other people :qq:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I hate it. I hate anything that encourages you to buy something you aren't entirely certain you want right now, because it might never be available again in the future. I mean, that's always the risk with boardgames, but the fact that the industry is moving more and more towards cultivating this sort of hysteria just drives me crazy. It's ccging board games. I also hate promos that introduce some new mechanic that go out of print. :doom:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So it's awesome that Dungeon Lords Anniversary has finally made in through customs I'll finally be able to get a wooden box version (probably at some terrible mark up :sigh:). But it seems while that was happening a second crate of normal retail versions got sent through without issue. Which of course means dirty non-kickstarters will get their regular retail versions before Loyal Backers! Oh the horror! So of course the comments on the Kickstarter page are filled with such amazing things like:

I would never do a Kickstarter holy poo poo I could not deal with being beholden to people like this. Clearly a company should refuse to make money because some nerds might not be able to lord their purchases over other people :qq:

That second one, my god. "For example, take this tiny mom and pop dev you've never heard of with a lot less overhead than you. If they can sit on their container, why can't you!?"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

but the fact that the industry is moving more and more towards cultivating this sort of hysteria just drives me crazy. It's ccging board games.

And just like CCGs, this will collapse very soon and be almost completely abandoned. It's definitely a problem but I wouldn't worry too much.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

And just like CCGs, this will collapse very soon and be almost completely abandoned. It's definitely a problem but I wouldn't worry too much.

You know CCGs are still a thing, right? Magic is bigger now than its ever been and in the last few years, a bunch of digital knockoffs have popped up.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Some Numbers posted:

You know CCGs are still a thing, right? Magic is bigger now than its ever been and in the last few years, a bunch of digital knockoffs have popped up.

I'm referring to what happened to games in the mid- to late-1990s, where the entire industry tried to get into CCGs simultaneously, flooded the distribution channel, and largely failed in bunches. If you didn't live through this you won't "get" what I'm saying but I can assure you the situation with Board Game Kickstarter positively reeks of it.

If you think that CCGs today are bad, you should have been around in 1997. Half the game store was given over to the loving things - dozens of them, literally. And there was no Amazon or CoolGuyMini or whatever.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

chemosh6969 posted:

If we're looking at incarceration rates of prisoners per 100,000 population, then USA is #2

#1 is Seychelles with 868 vs our 707. It's some sort of little tourist island where you visit and apparently end up in prison.

But yes, for prison population total, we win.

It's kind of disingenuous to look at "prisoners per 100,000" on an island with a population of 84,000.

I'm referring to what happened to games in the mid- to late-1990s, where the entire industry tried to get into CCGs simultaneously, flooded the distribution channel, and largely failed in bunches. If you didn't live through this you won't "get" what I'm saying but I can assure you the situation with Board Game Kickstarter positively reeks of it.

If you think that CCGs today are bad, you should have been around in 1997. Half the game store was given over to the loving things - dozens of them, literally. And there was no Amazon or CoolGuyMini or whatever.

I don't know about you but I still play Star Trek TNG CCG on a daily basis and eagerly await the next set:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

There was another mini-boom when Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon got real big in the mid 2000s. I distinctly remember playing, aside from the popular ones like DBZ and Naruto, a Gash/Zatch Bell card game, a Dragon Booster CCG, and a loving History Channel trading card game.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

quote:

I understand the customs issue; it happens. However, to me it is inexcusable that the game is available at retail before Kickstarter backers receive their copies. Mr. B Games has made my list of companies that I will no long support via Kickstarter.

don't know what this person is talking about, I got my copy ages ago :smug:

I feel pretty bad for CGE that customs screwed them around that much.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
This is where our hobby not being digital hurts because whether they are deliberately creating scarcity or scarcity is happening because of economics, it is my personal biggest issue with boardgaming. You end up buying games not because you want to play them soon but because you don't want to pay an arm and a leg when you do want to play them. I'm personally hoping that more games go PnP so that even if they aren't being published by the publisher anymore, at least there's still a way to play them.

Kickstarter is slowly responding to the usual market forces such as branding, and consumer confidence, and other generally accepted market principles....the days are numbered for some guy in his backyard to create a game and expect $20,000 just because. And even anime/titty stuff is eventually not going to draw like it has because people don't like throwing away money.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fat Turkey posted:

What am I missing with Quantum? I read the rules. I rolled two 3s and a 4. To win the game I need to lay down all the quantum cubes I have, but the rules say that from the 5 of my colour, that two of them are for bigger games and so I have 3, and I start with one built anyway. This meant I could build the other two quantum cubes within 3 turns (both neighbouring planet were 7) with nothing my opponent could do. Even if he could, it pretty trivial to build two cubes. What rule am I getting wrong here?

Sounds like the error was spotted, but one other thing to note is that placing a quantum cube eats up two actions. Every game I've played with first-timers, someone forgets that while trying to juggle everything else to do with their turn.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I just hate that the wooden box edition is kickstarter only. I missed the boat and the only thing I can hope for is that there will be a glut of people trying to sell them right away so the mark up won't be too disgusting. If they had put it up for preorder I would've thrown my money at it as hard as I can but now I'll be searching for the wooden version on Ebay and BGG markets

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 10, 2015

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Madmarker posted:

We also actually have a police force that has CSI and arrests people instead of just making you disappear!

Speaking of, are there any good prison games? If not, I think I'm on to something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lorini posted:

This is where our hobby not being digital hurts because whether they are deliberately creating scarcity or scarcity is happening because of economics, it is my personal biggest issue with boardgaming. You end up buying games not because you want to play them soon but because you don't want to pay an arm and a leg when you do want to play them. I'm personally hoping that more games go PnP so that even if they aren't being published by the publisher anymore, at least there's still a way to play them.

:ssh: All board games are PnP.
1)First go to a games section on BGG and click on the "gallery" there you will find high resolution scans of every game component
2)Now go down to the "files" section and download a fan made rulebook
3)Print it all out and paste it on to some cardboard; you'll need to hit up the dollar store for supplies here
4)Profit! Enjoy out of print boardgames for pennies on the dollar