Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Peztopiary posted:

They wouldn't work without the trilogy though. None of his Circle of the World books are actually self-contained. You don't have to read all of them, but if you haven't read the trilogy parts of BSC and Heroes don't make sense. The only reason that whole scene with Bayaz and the corpse pit works as well as it does is because of how well established Bayaz has been by the trilogy.

Yeah, that's a great shame of it. I would love to recommend BSC to people as a first book because it's such a good self contained story, but the Shenkt stuff really ruins that, and it becomes significant right at the climax. Heroes is similar, it's such an amazing story, and it's so concisely written compared to TFL, but it'd suck without knowing the backstory.

FordPRefectLL posted:

I was rereading Red Country and man it really illustrates how much it sucks to be on the receiving end of Cosca's bullshit.

You know how Red Country is just kind of a big mishmash of references to other westerns? I always thought Cosca was supposed to be The Judge from Blood Meridian, which is so weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Blind Melon posted:

How many people refer to the president as "Barak", or Barak Obama?

Tons and tons of people speak of Barack Obama.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It's not like anyone suggested be referred to as "Sand".

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

You know how Red Country is just kind of a big mishmash of references to other westerns? I always thought Cosca was supposed to be The Judge from Blood Meridian, which is so weird.

Now that you mention it, that isn't all that crazy. They both don't care one iota about human life, and have a pattern of instigating violence that they don't take part in for their own amusement / profit.

Neurosis posted:

Tons and tons of people speak of Barack Obama.

Yes, but mostly people grant him title, and he doesn't openly run the secret torture police.
Aaaaaand I have soundly destroyed my own argument.... I kid. Sorta. I think modern media is responsible for that. And generally half the country openly dislikes a president. Kings are a little different situation and while im no historian, I don't see them commonly referred to by full name.

People being afraid to say Glotka's name just makes sense. I don't know so much about the other two.

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 26, 2015

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
I read BSC before the trilogy, it worked decently enough. I didn't get the Shenkt parts at all so I just skimmed past them. The character interaction was still really affecting and the setting is vague enough that my lack of knowledge from the trilogy didn't really impact my enjoyment. And knowing the fate of Logen and the Named Men going into the trilogy was interesting.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'm 60 pages into Best Served Cold and in love. I hope Monza and Shivers shove swords right up the shitters of these back stabbing bastards.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Please post your reactions as you read the book.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

FordPRefectLL posted:

Please post your reactions as you read the book.

Will do. Haven't been this disgusted at a character getting annihilated since the gangsters shooting up Murphy scene in Robocop.

Greenlit
Dec 16, 2004

A commonborn squire
takes the reins of a knightly order, and leads a wayward kingdom from the midst
of chaos. The masses yearn for a hero. I give them what they wish.
I love watching someone read BSC. I got to see a coworker get through it over the course of a week, he kept coming in more sleep-deprived and frazzled every day until it was over.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
You already said you would, but count me as another person wanting to hear your reactions as you read. BSC is probably my favorite work of Abercrombie. Red Country did nothing for me, and while I love the narrative structure and climax of The Heroes, it felt a little too narrow in its scope.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Castor Morveer is the best.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
I liked Red Country as well as BSC, but I can be a sappy fool sometimes. And Glama Golden realizing just who he was fighting was perfect.

Red Country doesn't have the same kind of setpieces that BSC has, however.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Me when they captured Gobba: :black101:

Me after Monza killed him: :eyepop: :stonk: :eyepop:

Jesus. This is only 70 pages in! What even is this book?!

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
We can talk about that later, for now just keep posting reactions please.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Mars4523 posted:

I liked Red Country as well as BSC, but I can be a sappy fool sometimes. And Glama Golden realizing just who he was fighting was perfect.

Red Country doesn't have the same kind of setpieces that BSC has, however.

I dont remember, but was Glama a giant rear end in a top hat or something in The Heroes? Becasue I felt pretty bad for him in Red Country.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mr.48 posted:

I dont remember, but was Glama a giant rear end in a top hat or something in The Heroes? Becasue I felt pretty bad for him in Red Country.

He was one the Northmen equivalents of Poulder and Kroy. I'm pretty sure he was the one that sat on his horse and watched Calder nearly get killed instead of reinforcing him like Dow had ordered.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Nevvy Z posted:

He was one the Northmen equivalents of Poulder and Kroy. I'm pretty sure he was the one that sat on his horse and watched Calder nearly get killed instead of reinforcing him like Dow had ordered.

nah that was tenways, who was in bayaz's employ

golden got his face smashed in by gorst

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mr.48 posted:

He's not described real positively.
"Glama Golden – one of Dow’s five War Chiefs, intolerably vain, locked in a feud with Cairm Ironhead."
"Glama Golden looked the hero from his scalp to his toes, big-knuckle brawny and heavy-jaw handsome, his long hair, his bristling moustache, his eyelashes to their tips all the colour of pale gold. He wore more yellow metal than a princess on her wedding day – golden torc around his thick neck, bracelets at his thick wrists and fistfuls of rings on his thick fingers, every part of him buffed to a pretty shine with bluster and self-love."
And here's why he's no longer in the North by Red Country:
"Hardbread took a breath. “Because mighty Scale Ironhand, King of the Northmen, has gone to war with Glama Golden.”
Craw snorted. “Black Calder has, you mean. Why?”
“Golden killed Caul Reachey.”
“Reachey’s dead?”
“Poisoned. And Golden did the deed.”
Craw narrowed his eyes. “That a fact?”
“Calder says it is, so Scale says it is, so it’s close to a fact as anyone’s going to get. All the North’s lining up behind Bethod’s sons, and I’ve come to see if you want to line up too.”"

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

ulmont posted:

He's not described real positively.
"Glama Golden – one of Dow’s five War Chiefs, intolerably vain, locked in a feud with Cairm Ironhead."
"Glama Golden looked the hero from his scalp to his toes, big-knuckle brawny and heavy-jaw handsome, his long hair, his bristling moustache, his eyelashes to their tips all the colour of pale gold. He wore more yellow metal than a princess on her wedding day – golden torc around his thick neck, bracelets at his thick wrists and fistfuls of rings on his thick fingers, every part of him buffed to a pretty shine with bluster and self-love."
And here's why he's no longer in the North by Red Country:
"Hardbread took a breath. “Because mighty Scale Ironhand, King of the Northmen, has gone to war with Glama Golden.”
Craw snorted. “Black Calder has, you mean. Why?”
“Golden killed Caul Reachey.”
“Reachey’s dead?”
“Poisoned. And Golden did the deed.”
Craw narrowed his eyes. “That a fact?”
“Calder says it is, so Scale says it is, so it’s close to a fact as anyone’s going to get. All the North’s lining up behind Bethod’s sons, and I’ve come to see if you want to line up too.”"

To be fair, being vain and maybe poisoning some chieftain is practically sainthood in Abercrombie's world.

Greenlit
Dec 16, 2004

A commonborn squire
takes the reins of a knightly order, and leads a wayward kingdom from the midst
of chaos. The masses yearn for a hero. I give them what they wish.

Mr.48 posted:

To be fair, being vain and maybe poisoning some chieftain is practically sainthood in Abercrombie's world.

Shivers did it on Calder's order, made it look like Golden's fault.

I love these loving books. Preview chapter for Half the World was pretty good, looking forward to that next week.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Morveer you sly motherfucker. :allears:

Okay, Friendly's...thing with numbers is weird. :stare: I hope that's not going in the direction I think it is.

"So you'llkill a man for money, but you won't suck a oval office for it? There's morals for you. You want my advice? Take the five and stick to killing in future. That you've got a talent for."

:drat:

Every line of dialogue has put a big stupid grin on my face. Abercrombie, you had my curiosity. Now you have my attention.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah, the part where Friendly becomes an engineer and builds a working ornithopter overnight seemed a little silly, but it made sense in context.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Yeah, the part where Friendly becomes an engineer and builds a working ornithopter overnight seemed a little silly, but it made sense in context.

:laffo:

Nah I meant him getting aroused when Day was counting. I'd like to read some adult fantasy that didn't include rape for once.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Spoiler directly related to your question: Friendly is not a rapist.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Gotta say, I really love the names in this. Monza, Shylo Vitarri, Morveer. They all scratch that weird fantasy name itch without veering into eyerollingly stupid territory, like every loving name in The Wheel of Time.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Half The World. It's very good and I'm pumped that the conclusion will be out later this year. It's definitely another step more YA than Half a King but it's mostly non offensive.

I won't talk specifically about it until it's actually out.
Edit: Jeez fine

I thought as long as I'm not pointing to actual sources it was pretty much okay.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 12, 2015

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Timett posted:

Half The World. It's very good and I'm pumped that the conclusion will be out later this year. It's definitely another step more YA than Half a King but it's mostly non offensive.

You should edit your post to say ONLY this. It's basically a long standing rule that's not really written anywhere.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Nevvy Z posted:

You should edit your post to say ONLY this. It's basically a long standing rule that's not really written anywhere.

It's written in the Book Barn rules and the main SA forums rules...

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Yep, it's sort of an unwritten rule around here.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
One thing I liked about Half a King is that it's the Queen, not the King, who made Gettland powerful and led to all of the machinations against the nation.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Are the Half a X books set in the TFL world?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Ross posted:

Are the Half a X books set in the TFL world?

They are not.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Timett posted:

They are not.

The final part of the trilogy has The Union invading this backwater part of the world. Lots of torture and rape follows.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Affi posted:

The final part of the trilogy has The Union invading this backwater part of the world. Lots of torture and rape follows.
Half a World is set in a post-apoc version of our world. Or at least, a world that had skyscrapers and computers.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Half a World is set in a post-apoc version of our world. Or at least, a world that had skyscrapers and computers.

I had a feeling it was. Are the "ancient elves" the pre-apoc humans then? And magic is the technology that survived?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Oh, a new novel comes out next week. I'm excited.

Wait. Please don't tell me it a foray into YA books. If it is I give up on reading genre literature.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

ZombieLenin posted:

Oh, a new novel comes out next week. I'm excited.

Wait. Please don't tell me it a foray into YA books. If it is I give up on reading genre literature.
It's nominally YA, which just means that there's no swearing and little sex. From reviews it's very good.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Mars4523 posted:

It's nominally YA, which just means that there's no swearing and little sex. From reviews it's very good.

Ugh. Not that those things are important necessarily, I just don't see how you do Joe Abercrombie without them--or at least without brutalitic realism of his violence.

Edit

And if it's another coming of age story about a 15 to 17 year old girl written by a man, I think I will cry.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
It's a direct sequel to Half a King which was also meant to be for a slightly younger audience than Abercrombie's other books. If you were fine with that you'll be fine with this one.

The only reason I say it's a bit more YA than HaK is because *the slightest of spoilers that nobody here will likely care about* the book is from the perspective of two characters this time and they spend a good portion of the page count into each other but afraid to say anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

The prologue of half a king ends with a child getting shanked tbf