Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Zaphod42 posted:

It was me, one of my very first experiences with the game. My Crusader got the quirk where he would only pray at church, so I took him to nazi re-education camp to remind him that breasts are the only god you need.

Your legs were heaven
Your breasts were the altar
Your body was the Holy Land

-Leap of Faith, by Bruce Springsteen :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Your legs were heaven
Your breasts were the altar
Your body was the Holy Land

-Leap of Faith, by Bruce Springsteen :v:

http://youtu.be/xkI4oTg5EeA?t=2m36s

(Zack Snyder what the gently caress were you thinking)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Danakir posted:

Something I've noticed is that a lot of the Tavern activities seem to have more serious/annoying negative consequences. Meditation seems to be the safest, the worst side-effect I've had after using it for so long is the hero gaining the Enlightened quirk. What's the consensus on the matter?

I sort of prefer the abby for that reason, it's also more cash effective to focus only one building for stress reduction.

Also the game really needs a bestiary encyclopedia

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Thanks for this. When it indicates an item like, say, the holy water at a confessional, how do you activate it? Does it happen automatically or do you need to select the item?

You put the useable item in the slot between using the curio and leaving it alone buttons. Trees work differently, for some reason, in that the shovel is already selected, and just has to be clicked.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

The reason walls/trees auto-select the shovel is probably because it's the only interactable that can't be bypassed. It seems very "quality of life" decision

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007

Danakir posted:

Something I've noticed is that a lot of the Tavern activities seem to have more serious/annoying negative consequences. Meditation seems to be the safest, the worst side-effect I've had after using it for so long is the hero gaining the Enlightened quirk. What's the consensus on the matter?

Meditating does have a chance of giving the character "Calm," which is -15% DMG in the first round of combat.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Dackel posted:

The reason walls/trees auto-select the shovel is probably because it's the only interactable that can't be bypassed. It seems very "quality of life" decision
Well considering you gain tons of stress and lose health if you don't use the shovel, it's probably for the better that they choose to add an auto-select.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I did have a bug with a tree/rubble. I used my shovel to remove a pile of rubble, then immediately backed out and camped because I forgot to do so before entering the hallway. I did not pass through where the rubble had been. When I went back, the rubble was still there, but my shovel had of course been used.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

etalian posted:

I sort of prefer the abby for that reason, it's also more cash effective to focus only one building for stress reduction.

Also the game really needs a bestiary encyclopedia

That,s probably to balance the fact that abbey and sanitarium both use busts.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Ugh when I first started i kept trying to click-drag the shovel into the slot, and clicking the ok button instead of clicking the shovel.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Once you have the guild hall and smith unlocked this game becomes really easy and kind of boring. The fact that you can really just grind back whatever you might have lost by messing up doesn't help either. :sigh:

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011

Lotish posted:

I did have a bug with a tree/rubble. I used my shovel to remove a pile of rubble, then immediately backed out and camped because I forgot to do so before entering the hallway. I did not pass through where the rubble had been. When I went back, the rubble was still there, but my shovel had of course been used.

Ever have a blockage just appear in an area you've already been through? Happened with me after I whooped the Wizened Hag. I was headed toward scouted fights for extra gold, passed through a hallway without vines, killed the spiders, and when I went to go back through a blockade had appeared. And of course I had used my shovel earlier, so I had to go around it. Then they all had to eat twice over the span of crossing those five rooms, the healer went paranoid from the mounting stress, and I just left. This game sometimes.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Radiochromatic posted:

Ever have a blockage just appear in an area you've already been through? Happened with me after I whooped the Wizened Hag. I was headed toward scouted fights for extra gold, passed through a hallway without vines, killed the spiders, and when I went to go back through a blockade had appeared. And of course I had used my shovel earlier, so I had to go around it. Then they all had to eat twice over the span of crossing those five rooms, the healer went paranoid from the mounting stress, and I just left. This game sometimes.

There seems to be a small chance that stuff will respawn behind you, or sometimes it's a bug, or something. I've noticed fights appearing behind me more than once.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Broken Cog posted:

Honestly, the increased crit chance more than makes up for the penalty to hit chance since crits are ridiculously powerful in this game. The only real downside to running low light is the increased chance to be surprised.

I started doing suicide squad runs last night to grind a little bit, and having low light is not nearly as bad as I thought. There's a sweet spot where your characters get more loot/more crits, but without the extra chance of being surprised. I was always keeping my light above 75 before, but I think I'll start going low light more often. The extra loot is pretty crazy, and characters crit often enough to pretty much balance out the added stress from walking around in that light range. It definitely makes the game more fun.

I know this is a crazy thought, but not everybody wants to loving sourcedive the game and spoil everything for themselves. You could have just answered his question instead of basically just telling him to RTFM that's in the OP already.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 10, 2015

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

quote != edit, I should RTFM

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
There's always this spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18_bLmVSIAi8wVio61MvlZauPpeBA6XR1qt-O3hDOuHM/htmlview?pli=1&sle=true#gid=0

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ErIog posted:

I know this is a crazy thought, but not everybody wants to loving sourcedive the game and spoil everything for themselves. You could have just answered his question instead of basically just telling him to RTFM that's in the OP already.

Except the thing he linked is the most thorough answer you could possibly give so I'm not sure why you're angry.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I really wish you could hoard unused provisions, as opposed to having to buy everything from scratch before each run.

They could increase prices to balance it out.

I also wish speech bubbles didn't interrupt the flow of exploration and combat.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

quote:

A doctor, researcher and alchemist who prefers to hang back, eating away at her foes with stacking damage-over-time abilties like toxic clouds & plague-filled grenades. She is equally effective in a support role, blinding and confusing foes while enhancing a party's survival with damage-increasing tonics, and remedies for bleed and blight effects.

I totally missed the plague doctor was a woman. :psyduck:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

poptart_fairy posted:

The Jester may be also.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Genocyber posted:

Except the thing he linked is the most thorough answer you could possibly give so I'm not sure why you're angry.

I feel like I explained it pretty well here...

ErIog posted:

not everybody wants to loving sourcedive the game and spoil everything for themselves

I'm also not angry. It's just annoying that any discussion of how the game works is met with flippant responses telling people to just go read all the source-dived spoilers for the part of the game they're asking about. Yeah, that's helpful, but only in a very :spergin: kind of sense. Not everybody wants to min-max, and finding all that stuff is a quick Google search that they might have already done. They might be asking here because they want a more general answer that doesn't necessarily spoil 100% of the interactables.

The assumption from a lot of people, though, is that people asking questions don't know about the magic of the Google search engine and want to play the game like how Mitt Romney does his taxes.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 10, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Jester may be also.

Nah, the Plague Doctor is specifically addressed as a woman, the Jester isn't AFAIK.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I got Syphilis from an ancient tome.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

natetimm posted:

I got Syphilis from an ancient tome.

That's what you get for picking up any old book off the street, you rake.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

paranoid randroid posted:

That's what I'm going to call it from now on. "Where was I last night? Oh, I was just getting lost in a good book."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I put together my Hag-Hunting Hellions team of three hellions and a vestal and went after the Hag that ate three of my best characters. She didn't even put anyone in the pot, and bled to death from massive damage at the start of round 3. :psyduck:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Eurgh, my irreplaceable Crusader keeps nicking poo poo so I can't afford to send him to the sanitarium to stop him nicking poo poo. :argh:

I'm guessing skill unlocks are per character rather than per class?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

paranoid randroid posted:

Better that than pig-boy vomit, I gotta say.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

Eurgh, my irreplaceable Crusader keeps nicking poo poo so I can't afford to send him to the sanitarium to stop him nicking poo poo. :argh:

I'm guessing skill unlocks are per character rather than per class?

Correct. If you buy Holy Lance on one Crusader and then hire another, he may or not have Holy Lance on his own and you may have to buy it again.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I finally bought this after checking it out some more. Is the guide linked in the OP still ok/relevant? Any major changes in recent updates I should know about?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

No big changes, no.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
the game has been out for nearly a week despite the number of posts in this thread

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Whoever was complaining about the Mac version, the latest update says

quote:

Mac build now in sync with PC build!!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Lotish posted:

Whoever was complaining about the Mac version, the latest update says

Yessssss. I'm tempted to restart my game, because all my dudes are completely loaded down with quirks. It's kind of ridiculous.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

how me a frog posted:

Once you have the guild hall and smith unlocked this game becomes really easy and kind of boring. The fact that you can really just grind back whatever you might have lost by messing up doesn't help either. :sigh:

Yeah the difficulty curve feels mixed up.

It's really grindy in the beginning but once you max out upgrades the difficulty curve flattens out.

Especially with the armor upgrades since being able to dodge more attacks greatly reduces stress and also healing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Lotish posted:

Correct. If you buy Holy Lance on one Crusader and then hire another, he may or not have Holy Lance on his own and you may have to buy it again.

Cheers. Been pissing money away, brute forcing my way through everything so far, so it's nice to get confirmation.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I really love the Resting scenes. Not just for being a good implementation of a resting and recovering mechanic, but I like watching my poor dumb bastards interact, like the Hellion cheering up an ally by challenging them to a wrestling contest or the Highwayman grudgingly admitting he's glad to have everyone else around. This game just excels at tone. :3:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
So are you supposed to get a positive and a negative quirk after each mission or not? Because I'm still getting that.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Night10194 posted:

I really love the Resting scenes. Not just for being a good implementation of a resting and recovering mechanic, but I like watching my poor dumb bastards interact, like the Hellion cheering up an ally by challenging them to a wrestling contest or the Highwayman grudgingly admitting he's glad to have everyone else around. This game just excels at tone. :3:

The overall art style is really good too.

Still sort of wish for more story type missions to flesh the world out before the boss fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Night10194 posted:

I really like that the characters all have unique lines for pep talks. Some of them are pretty odd though. The Graverobber consoles people by calling them well-proportioned :shepface:

poptart_fairy posted:

Its pretty hard to tell from her model alone since she is fully covered, as you would expect. I wasn't sure if it was a dude or a lady at first too.