Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I just want to belatedly and not-exactly-on-topic-now explain that there are more than enough excellent English-language LPs on SA for me, and I can't speak for the average English-language Youtuber quality beyond the occasional Retsupurae. But for foreign-language LPs some extra things are a priority. The audio quality (mic) is important, as well as speaking clearly. Dumb jokes seem to come through regardless of my proficiency in the language. A facecam is pretty annoying, especially if you're trying to concentrate on speech. A modicum of editing and/or LPing not completely blind come about last, but are appreciated, because watching someone bumbling like an idiot in puzzles can get pretty drat irritating. So far I have had little success in my search with these parameters, although things can sometimes change from one LP to the next with the same Youtuber, depending on the genre of the game, or whether it's is co-op or not. (Not in the terms of audio or facecam, though.)

I'd probably enjoy Valkhorn's LPs a lot if they were in Spanish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

If you're gonna recommend ongoing Zelda LPs, please don't leave out Faerie Fortune's blind LP of the original Ocarina of Time, featuring Agressively Friendly Link.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Blind Sally posted:

Actually, he persevered through the Kairo LP, despite no one really watching it.

It looks like until a couple months ago he was continuing on without any viewers. I remember a while back after his exit from the forums he showed up in the offsite LP thread and started claiming his subscriber numbers and views only got better after he stopped having to try and please the forums, a quick check of his page reveals that to be false as the vast majority of his NES era Mario and Zelda videos have views in the double digits. He was also running a ton of giveaways and contests in the videos to draw in views and likes and such at that point, so he was basically doing the exact things you would expect of someone desperately trying to grow their channel.

I'll always remember Valkhorn as the guy who LP'd Symphony of the Night but struggled to get the thread past seven pages despite it being a well loved game that would normally generate a ton of discussion in the thread. Valkhorn's videos were so bland that people couldn't even be bothered to tell him in which ways he was playing the game wrong.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
The valk-man may have been referring to how he paid money to get his introduction video on some kind of advertising thing, and it seemed to get him a few thousand views. None of which transferred to his videos, but hey, he's tryin'.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Lazyfire posted:

He was also running a ton of giveaways and contests in the videos to draw in views and likes and such at that point, so he was basically doing the exact things you would expect of someone desperately trying to grow their channel.

That is legitimately really sad, that people won't watch him even if they get stuff in exchange.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Danaru posted:

That is legitimately really sad, that people won't watch him even if they get stuff in exchange.
I don't know if you can see this Valk, but don't let them kill the dream! I will totally watch your videos in exchange for free stuff, make the gifts good enough and you might even get a comment because I'm just a swell guy. Hit me up and we can sort out the fine print.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

Actually, he persevered through the Kairo LP, despite no one really watching it.

Hey, I watched the first video of his Kairo LP.

I blacked out about 5 minutes into it and woke up on my front lawn 4 hours later, but I watched it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Really, the man is better than a cushioned hammer soaked in chloroform. I mean, I love Unreal, I played it as a kid, it's so atmospheric, I'm capable of watching the thing without commentary. Valkhorn's take got me snoozing before he got out of the prison ship.

edit: Actually, is there a decent LP of Unreal?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 9, 2015

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Any good city builder LPs out there where the player knows the game inside out and builds a totally sweet city? There are a lot of blind LPs out there, and a whole host of lovely players who takes ages making the worst possible decisions. I'm so sick of watching those, I want to see somebody who rocks, not:

:downs: "So, I'll just go and place the woodcutters hut riiiight...here. In this bare rocky area. And now I think I'll pop up a few houses, a good 30 or 40 seems like a nice round number, and to feed these guys I'll place a farm here where the mini map is obviously displaying poor fertility..."

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

nine-gear crow posted:

Hey, I watched the first video of his Kairo LP.

I blacked out about 5 minutes into it and woke up on my front lawn 4 hours later, but I watched it.

I feel like this is how some people react to my videos.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Dr Scoofles posted:

Any good city builder LPs out there where the player knows the game inside out and builds a totally sweet city? There are a lot of blind LPs out there, and a whole host of lovely players who takes ages making the worst possible decisions. I'm so sick of watching those, I want to see somebody who rocks, not:

:downs: "So, I'll just go and place the woodcutters hut riiiight...here. In this bare rocky area. And now I think I'll pop up a few houses, a good 30 or 40 seems like a nice round number, and to feed these guys I'll place a farm here where the mini map is obviously displaying poor fertility..."

It's a screen shot LP, but probably one of my favourite LPs I've ever read. http://lparchive.org/SimCity-3000/

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Dr Scoofles posted:

I'm quite partial to the ongoing simcity 4 lp where grand fromage is trying to recreate real-life cities. though it updates at a snail's pace http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3410697

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

Speaking of city builders, are there any good Open Transport Tycon Deluxe let's plays that you can recommend?

I really like this game, but I am not very good at it, and the wiki is rather dry. I would prefer watching/reading a good informative let's play.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know of a good way to watch video LPs that aren't on Archive.org? I've been trying to watch b00n's Doom 3 LP, but the links are dead. :saddowns:

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011

Violet_Sky posted:

Does anyone know of a good way to watch video LPs that aren't on Archive.org? I've been trying to watch b00n's Doom 3 LP, but the links are dead. :saddowns:

You do know that the "Download AVI" links still work, right?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Whenever I click on Download AVI links, I just get an eternally loading white screen. I'm using a Mac, if that helps.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Violet_Sky posted:

Whenever I click on Download AVI links, I just get an eternally loading white screen. I'm using a Mac, if that helps.

Right-click (I think it's control-click or maybe command-click if you don't have a two-button mouse) -> save link as, or something along those lines.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I suppose if someone wanted they could save the files and just upload them to youtube as well?

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It's a screen shot LP, but probably one of my favourite LPs I've ever read. http://lparchive.org/SimCity-3000/

Mico posted:

I'm quite partial to the ongoing simcity 4 lp where grand fromage is trying to recreate real-life cities. though it updates at a snail's pace http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3410697

These look fantastic, I'll be interested to see where GF goes with his. I forgot to mention, but I was hoping for a VLP, I work from home and often I'm making stuff with my hands but need something playing in the background to keep me sane. City builders would be great for this as they are pretty slow moving so I can keep one eye on my work without missing much.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Dr Scoofles posted:

These look fantastic, I'll be interested to see where GF goes with his. I forgot to mention, but I was hoping for a VLP, I work from home and often I'm making stuff with my hands but need something playing in the background to keep me sane. City builders would be great for this as they are pretty slow moving so I can keep one eye on my work without missing much.

I wanted to second both of these suggestions. The SC3K one is amazing in its own right, but GF's SC4 shows just how much work modders have put into developing additions for the game. The cities he's created are deeply, deeply impressive.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
This is an off-SA LP, but thenyanmaster is doing one of the most impressive Civilization runs I've ever seen. It's a 42 nation AI-only rumble in Civ5 using real life starting locations on the largest and most accurate Earth map. Domination is the only win condition, so the winner will have to control 41 other capitals. As of update 7 Firaxis actually contacted him about getting a copy of the savegame and I believe have since offered to help him keep the game going when his machine started crashing while trying to run turns.

It starts here. There's 15 updates thus far, taking the game through turn 350. A few countries look extremely strong, and a few are on the brink of extinction, but roughly half of the remaining 32 nations could pull off a victory if things go their way. The remaining nations are reaching the information age, and Gandhi just got nukes.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Are there any good LPs of the original Half-Life around? Don't seem to be any on the archive.

I intend to LP original Half-Life - and all of the expansions by Gearbox Software - after I've finished my current LPs of Singularity and Darkest of Days.

I used to write for Planet Half-Life and I was known on various Half-Life forums as "the official Half-Life guru". :)

I must warn you, though, I update at a rate of about a video a month. (Sometimes slower!) So... don't get too excited too soon.

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 10, 2015

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

your evil twin posted:

I intend to LP original Half-Life - and all of the expansions by Gearbox Software - after I've finished my current LPs of Singularity and Darkest of Days.

I used to write for Planet Half-Life and I was known on various Half-Life forums as "the official Half-Life guru". :)

I must warn you, though, I update at a rate of about a video a month. (Sometimes slower!) So... don't get too excited too soon.

I now have a serious case of LP blue balls.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?

your evil twin posted:

Oh man, now I'm all stoked. I'm excited far too soon.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anything good ended recently that would be worth binging through?

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

I adored Grimwit's LP of Cryptworlds: Your Darkest Desires Come True, which ended a bit ago. His calm, methodical explanations of the surreal world of an strange ugly alien's adventure to pee on everything (and also save the world from a Russian NES knockoff mascot and eat burgs) was

Well you should watch it. It's great.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
So, I want some LPs of awful games, ideally with solo commentary, MassRafTer's Superman 64 LP being a great example. If the person actually gets angry or frustrated that's a bonus, as long as it doesn't get to Pewdiepie levels.

LPs of awful games where the person/people try to be positive (Supergreatfriend being an example) are also good.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

Turtlicious posted:

Has anything good ended recently that would be worth binging through?

I really enjoyed Bacter's Discworld Noir LP. Good game, good (and also very chill) commentary, resulting in a highly atmospheric LP. I was sad when it ended.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Thoughtless posted:

So, I want some LPs of awful games, ideally with solo commentary, MassRafTer's Superman 64 LP being a great example. If the person actually gets angry or frustrated that's a bonus, as long as it doesn't get to Pewdiepie levels.

LPs of awful games where the person/people try to be positive (Supergreatfriend being an example) are also good.

If you don't mind it being a screenshot LP, Quovak's LPs of the first two Golden Sun games do a great job ripping apart everything that's wrong with those two games, while also offering ways they could have been improved. Great read.

As for positive spins on bad games, the Men Drinkin' Coffee generally do just that, with my favorite in particular being Ride to Hell: Retribution.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Is there any good Final Fantasy XIV LP's anywhere? I know MMO's are probably not the best type of game to LP but it seems like an interesting game that I have no intention of actually playing so I want to see what it's like.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Can anyone recommend a good XCOM: Long War LP? I like having something on in the background while I'm doing other stuff.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Can anyone recommend a good XCOM: Long War LP? I like having something on in the background while I'm doing other stuff.

I only find Beagle bearable out of the ones that fill that niche due to sultry australian tones. He does zero editing tho so videos can be something absurd like 3 hours in length. He explains very well tho and can be funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zQwHEUK9I

That should be the playlist.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Is there any good Final Fantasy XIV LP's anywhere? I know MMO's are probably not the best type of game to LP but it seems like an interesting game that I have no intention of actually playing so I want to see what it's like.

CrashScreen was doing one but it hasn't been updated since the end of last year. Only covers the first ten or so levels so it doesn't really get into the cool stuff, but it shows off a good amount and has some interesting comparisons to XIV 1.0.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's the Grey Hunter LP where he accidentally blows up a planet?

(If you follow Grey Hunter LPs you can probably guess what's in the spoiler tag since it's joked about constantly, but I'm spoilering just in case)

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Looking for some Sims LPs. I've read eating only apple's Sims 3 LP and I'm caught up with Theta Zero's current one. Are there any other good ones I can find?

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 17, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Chuu posted:

What's the Grey Hunter LP where he accidentally blows up a planet?

(If you follow Grey Hunter LPs you can probably guess what's in the spoiler tag since it's joked about constantly, but I'm spoilering just in case)

http://lparchive.org/Distant-Worlds-Legends/

(You can search the LP archive by author)

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

IGgy IGsen posted:

What's up with Valkhorn anyway?
The peak Valkhorn comedy was when he bought advertisment on I believe the men drinkin coffee lp's, saying "hey you want to watch a real lp instead? watch valkhorn :smug:"

and yeah, his lps were really bland. I tried to watch his heretic lp because I like that game, but he's really really boring.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
That was entirely pro-bono.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I want to read LPs of 4x games, strategy games in general, preferably ones already on the archive, content in the vein of Distant Worlds and Star Wars: Rebellion.

What are some good recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Lunethex posted:

I want to read LPs of 4x games, strategy games in general, preferably ones already on the archive, content in the vein of Distant Worlds and Star Wars: Rebellion.

What are some good recommendations?

Bobbin Threadbare did a fantastic Galactic Civilizations II LP. I really can't recommend it enough.