Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Valeyard posted:

so I already signed a contract for a grad job on the (standard) condition I get atleast a 2.1

now I am panicking about whether I will be able to do this or not

how iron clad is that?

im thinking about applying somewhere else with a lower req and having it as a backup, but dont really know what would go down if I ended up fufilly choice 1

lol

is this how young adults actually function in 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Space Whale posted:

a ballpit with less piss in it

wh-... what if I'm looking for a ballpit with more piss in it?

*wallows in amber yospos*

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

lol

how do you not get a 2.1? it's february, you have like 2+ months to get your grades up.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
hey guys i dont know if i can maintain a c+ average what should i do

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

if you bail on a new-grad offer you accepted because you find a new one -- especially if that offer is conditional -- it will taint your reputation for about eight seconds. nobody expects new grads to make good decisions.

when making FT offers to interns, I usually recommend that they interview other places as well. I'm sure it's a bit worse for my closing rate, but if they find something they're more excited about (or, rarely, pays better) then they should do that instead. there's lots of time for grinding away at a job you can't afford to leave, later in life.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

lol

i am NOT

Beast of Bourbon posted:

how do you not get a 2.1? it's february, you have like 2+ months to get your grades up.

my 3rd year was worth 40% and had a lot of err pitfalls, i need to average close to an A this year for the 2.1

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
less posting, more studying :haw:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, seriously, stop trying to impress people on the something awful dot com forums and go take advantage of the extremely expensive education you're burning that some of us would voodoo necromance our grandmother just to stab her if it meant we got that same opportunity

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

shitface posted:

ok so I need to learn a bit of js but I have no interest or need for web/browser poo poo. any recommended reading? everything I've found so far is browser focused

don't do this to yourself. there is no good reason to use js for anything non web related ever.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Jonny 290 posted:

lol

Yes.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Soricidus posted:

don't do this to yourself. there is no good reason to use js for anything non web related ever.

https://anderse.wordpress.com/os-js/

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

this is just perverted

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i bet ms will buy it for waas 365

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

lol if you go to class at college

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

have your parents set you up with an internship during college and let the job offers flow in from that imo

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
my recommendation is to be born rich and never have to work, hth

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

lol

lol

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Also, be born white.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Nobody cares if you had good grades except first jobs.

And even then, lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

idk they might care if you have a loving 2.1

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Bhodi posted:

Also, be born white.

Also heterosexual, male and christian.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

like how do you even do so badly as to have a 2.1? i had just about the worst freshman year possible and graduated with a 3.5. what the gently caress have you been doing?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

times I have asked about a candidate's grades: zero

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

he posts op

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Bloody posted:

like how do you even do so badly as to have a 2.1? i had just about the worst freshman year possible and graduated with a 3.5. what the gently caress have you been doing?

i managed a 0.16 by only attending broadcasting and bowling classes second semester

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Bloody posted:

Yanno how tons of high GPA kids can't code and tons of gassy greasy troglodytes can even if they suck at school or social things?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
note a "2.1" is the british equivalent of like a 3.5 or something

not a gpa you morons

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i assume valeyard is 'merican what with the wrestling fetish

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
it goes:

1st class - 70%
2:1 - 60%
2:2 - 50%
3rd - 40%
fail

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

times I have asked about a candidate's grades: zero

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Valeyard posted:

so I already signed a contract for a grad job on the (standard) condition I get atleast a 2.1

now I am panicking about whether I will be able to do this or not

how iron clad is that?

im thinking about applying somewhere else with a lower req and having it as a backup, but dont really know what would go down if I ended up fufilly choice 1

Isnt it normal in scotsland to make strong declarations of intent and then back out at the last minute?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

gonadic io posted:

it goes:

1st class - 70%
3rd - 40%
fail

in competent unis maybe like a single candidate will get over 80%

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I was doing some requirejs stuff today. seems kind of interesting I guess.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shaggar posted:

I was doing some requirejs stuff today. seems kind of interesting I guess.

it's just another confusing level of indirection to go along with all your angular dependency inversion

gr8 if you can get someone else to worry about it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im not using angular, but I like the idea of self describing javascript modules

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

St Evan Echoes posted:

https://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/javascript

is based on the language itself rather than how it interacts with a browser afaik

thanks i'll take a look

Soricidus posted:

i don't have a lot of choice. we have an api gateway and java and js are the main methods of extension, js being the quick and dirty one

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Isnt it normal in scotsland to make strong declarations of intent and then back out at the last minute?

i am literally ashamed of my countrymen for that one. every dirty trick in the book was used though. apparently labour and conservative activists were phoning olds and telling them they would immediately lose their pension if the vote was yes :scotland:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

shitface posted:

i am literally ashamed of my countrymen for that one. every dirty trick in the book was used though. apparently labour and conservative activists were phoning olds and telling them they would immediately lose their pension if the vote was yes :scotland:

i cool just like american and olds w/r/t every thing you can vote for

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
they're gonna take away your pension if you allow teachers to have pensions !!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i've been trying to get in to atom but it is really really bad

i dont get why people decide to make their own hotkeys instead of using normal ones. it seems like so much effort and such an obviously terrible nonfeature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

gonadic io posted:

it goes:

1st class - 70%
3rd - 40%
fail

the only place this could be a real grading system is britain