Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Vitamin P posted:

So as Peggy lives here

wouldn't the time-line be about right for her to meet young Frank Reynolds?

It is right next door and Marvel does love crossovers.

Peggy meets a hooer who found a baby in the traysh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
If AoS gets a third season they'll likely go for a fourth because syndication is still a thing.

Maybe they can give us more Carter on Netflix.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Maxwell Lord posted:

If AoS gets a third season they'll likely go for a fourth because syndication is still a thing.

Maybe they can give us more Carter on Netflix.

Do non-sitcoms even get syndicated anymore? Outside of super long running cop/crime shows, as well? It's certainly nothing like it used to be where channels reran Star Trek and Baywatch and A-team, etc. I know for example, LOST ran in a couple of places right after it finished, but then it vanished.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Gotham was always going to be successful out of the gate because people loving love Batman.

AoS will be on as long as Disney wants it to be on. It will probably be its own thing until its time for a movie to come out then they'll have the Big Tie In Episode were Agent May goes "Danvers? She still owes me $10" and that's as much as the movie gets.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Gotham is probably successful because it is filled with actual mainstream Batman characters, albeit they cheat by having the show be a prequel to everything. Then they can write a cop show around that, which is also a popular genre. Boom, you have a successful show.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ToastyPotato posted:

Do non-sitcoms even get syndicated anymore? Outside of super long running cop/crime shows, as well? It's certainly nothing like it used to be where channels reran Star Trek and Baywatch and A-team, etc. I know for example, LOST ran in a couple of places right after it finished, but then it vanished.

Sure but LOST is quite possibly the least syndication-friendly show ever. A new or even casual viewer just jumping into a random season X episode is gonna get almost nothing out of it.

Agents of SHIELD is pretty serialized too though. But it still has a pretty significant amount of one-off, mostly self-contained episodes.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

Gotham was always going to be successful out of the gate because people loving love Batman.

Gee, a handsome billionaire who fights crimes with cool gadgets vs. a bald middle manager type, an asian grandma and an autistic ginger dealing with a redditor's daddy issues. Its almost as if AoS is defying you to like it.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Gotham is actually a popular show? The world doesn't make any sense sometimes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Foxfactor.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

XboxPants posted:

Sure but LOST is quite possibly the least syndication-friendly show ever. A new or even casual viewer just jumping into a random season X episode is gonna get almost nothing out of it.

Someone who watches every single episode of Lost in the proper order will get exactly the same thing, since Lost is loving terrible and has no coherent underlying plot.

Also, loving how goons are already forming a death pool over whether or not ABC will deign to give another season to one of their highest-rated shows which even the network's own president praised the ratings performance of. :rolleyes:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Gotham's ratings have been solid, but Fox was really hoping for them to be spectacular. And they have not been that, at all.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Probably becasue the show is kinda terrible. The only person in my circle of friends who still watches it is in "point and laugh" mode.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

HotCanadianChick posted:

Also, loving how goons are already forming a death pool over whether or not ABC will deign to give another season to one of their highest-rated shows which even the network's own president praised the ratings performance of. :rolleyes:

Highest rated? At best, it's in the middle of the pack as far as ABC's scripted series go. And it's pretty much Paul Lee's job at the TCAs to spin the performance of any show they haven't already cancelled as positive, so I wouldn't put too much stock in that.

Anyway, if SHIELD can maintain its L+SD/C3 ratings from the first half of the season, it'll probably get renewed. If it drops closer to Agent Carter levels, it's up in the air.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 8, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nobody cares Other Barry

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, hush, Barry. You don't even have a precognitive superpower, like me.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

HotCanadianChick posted:

Agents of SHIELD is not Agents of SHONDA (or among their Family-adventures sitcom set on Wednesday); it's not especially anywhere near being one of the highest-rated shows on the network.

(It will still probably get renewed anyway.)

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I learned about this news from my Facebook Trending instead of this thread? Shameful.
(I forgot if guest casting are spoilers or not so I did it just in case)

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/384/marvels-agents-of-shield-sif-returns/
Sif is coming back! One of the few bright spots of the slow first half of Season 1.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Xtanstic posted:

I learned about this news from my Facebook Trending instead of this thread? Shameful.

Sif is coming back! One of the few bright spots of the slow first half of Season 1.

That was in the latter half as well, just before poo poo got real in fact :ssh:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Xtanstic posted:

I actually came to share this. I am so loving pumped.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
AoS is a shoo-in for renewal. The ratings aren't great, but they are decent in a day and age where live ratings are crashing everywhere that is not the CW (which seems to have bottomed out). Sure a show set in the MCU, airing on ABC, with an ABC budget should be pulling in almost twice the viewers that it actually gets, but if you are a network executive at ABC you are probably skeptical that you will be able to replace it with something that would do better.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

TyrantWD posted:

AoS is a shoo-in for renewal. The ratings aren't great, but they are decent in a day and age where live ratings are crashing everywhere that is not the CW (which seems to have bottomed out). Sure a show set in the MCU, airing on ABC, with an ABC budget should be pulling in almost twice the viewers that it actually gets, but if you are a network executive at ABC you are probably skeptical that you will be able to replace it with something that would do better.

Presumably there will be a tie in with Ultron that will prop up ratings at the end.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Honestly, it's a fairly equal battle between TVIV's tendency to be lunatic doomsayers about every show on the air, and network executives' tendencies to be complete idiots about canceling things.

Looking forward to ~~~~Sif~~~~

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

TyrantWD posted:

Tuesdays are pretty loving competitive as well. As mediocre as AoS ratings are, they're still the best ratings ABC has had in those timeslots in a long time. They really can't do better. Network television is eventually going to change as viewing habits move away from live. Advertisers are probably not going to value spots as much, except for occasions where everyone is watching (World Series, Superbowl, March Madness). Thinking about it, sports in general are the only events I can see weathering the DVR/online storm pretty much unscathed. We'll probably need to adjust to the inevitable ridiculous product placement in shows instead. I mean, it happens all ready, but it may get to Arrested Development levels of absurdity. Just imagine Coulson taking the entire team out for Dairy Queen after a tough mission and getting attacked by Blizzard (TM).

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Xtanstic posted:

Great, but do they really have to use the amnesia troupe? Especially followed by a "don't worry, it will be funny!" from the exec.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

BlueBayou posted:

Presumably there will be a tie in with Ultron that will prop up ratings at the end.

Didn't work last season with TWS, which had a bigger impact on SHIELD than AoU likely will. Maybe if they can actually get Renner, it'd help a tad (though whatever he was shooting wasn't a post-AoU episode, if it was for SHIELD at all).

...and just to emphasize again, I still think the show is more likely than not to be renewed. For now.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Barry Convex posted:

...and just to emphasize again, I still think the show is more likely than not to be renewed. For now.

And also that they won't do anything with Inhumans on the show.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Kheldarn posted:

And also that they won't do anything with Inhumans on the show.

Feel free to mock me, but I stand by everything I said in that post quoted in the OP.

Except, y'know, the Inhumans part.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Burning_Monk posted:

Great, but do they really have to use the amnesia troupe? Especially followed by a "don't worry, it will be funny!" from the exec.
What I really hope for is the Warriors Three to show up, I mean at least Fandral can show up since Zach Levi is no stranger to TV

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

BrianWilly posted:

Honestly, it's a fairly equal battle between TVIV's tendency to be lunatic doomsayers about every show on the air, and network executives' tendencies to be complete idiots about canceling things.

That's the first rule in the Barry Convex handbook.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Barry Convex posted:

Feel free to mock me, but I stand by everything I said in that post quoted in the OP.

Except, y'know, the Inhumans part.

No backsies!

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

achillesforever6 posted:

What I really hope for is the Warriors Three to show up, I mean at least Fandral can show up since Zach Levi is no stranger to TV

I would completely accept that.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Now that Marvel has a deal in place for Spider-Man, I'd be surprised if we didn't start seeing some references to the Bugle and other elements of the series. It'd be more likely in the Netflix shows, but it'd be awesome if they worked in some references towards the end of this season.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Emerson Cod posted:

Now that Marvel has a deal in place for Spider-Man, I'd be surprised if we didn't start seeing some references to the Bugle and other elements of the series. It'd be more likely in the Netflix shows, but it'd be awesome if they worked in some references towards the end of this season.

It's a shame Spidey is too big to start on SHIELD. He's small time enough that it'd make sense for Coulson and crew to come across him, and would work as a fun bridge into the films, but there's no way in hell Marvel would do that. He's too big a character, unfortunately.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I don't know how TV-friendly his powers are either.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Agents of SHIELD doesn't function as a TV show - it functions as a weekly one hour advertisement for Marvel's movies and brand awareness. As long as it doesn't completely tank, it'll stay on the air.

Which means at some point I'll get drunk and netflix binge past the first season to try and give it a go.

I am EXTREMELY bitter that Agent Carter is flattening in the ratings, though. Its pretty much everything I want "network" TV to be - light and fun but with the occasional dramatic moment that can land.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

cool kids inc. posted:

It's a shame Spidey is too big to start on SHIELD. He's small time enough that it'd make sense for Coulson and crew to come across him, and would work as a fun bridge into the films, but there's no way in hell Marvel would do that. He's too big a character, unfortunately.

Why exactly wouldn't they do that? I actually just came to the thread to discuss this, because I think introducing him on SHIELD would own. It means that:

- He can be introduced to the MCU much quicker due to the faster turnaround time of TV;
- They can handle his origin in the TV show as part of his arc, thereby avoiding the need for another origin-story film;
- He would fit well with AoS S3's likely connection with CA: Civil War come May 2016.

It's not like Marvel would be asked to put Spidey in AoS instead of the films - they would be putting him in both, and come Civil War he would move to the films more-or-less permanently. I mean, potentially they could be scared that starting him off in a show could saddle the character with an 'on-the-cheap' feeling, but that's a little paranoid. Spidey's villains would likely not be allowed, sure, but it could work with just him. Kind of a shame though, I'd kill for Quake vs. Venom.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't know how TV-friendly his powers are either.

Eh, more TV-friendly than characters like Iron Man, Thor or the Hulk for sure. They might have to have him spend a lot of time as just Peter Parker, using full Spidey action sparely, and have some of his fighting be from the perspective of the agents rather than having lots of complicated and pricey close-ups, but I think it could be done. And it would probably be worth it given the ratings boost that would likely happen.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"I have exceptional reflexes and a sixth sense for danger, so I built some gadgets to go with the theme" is a good power level for AoS, but unfortunately that comes along with the name Spider-Man. You thought it was annoying when the show focused on Skye too much? There's no way to put a big name like Spidey on there and not have him hog the spotlight.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have to imagine that the most we're going to get any time soon is references to Oscorp and maybe the Bugle.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Neither Sony nor Marvel would want to introduce one of the most famous characters they have during Agents of SHIELD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Bruceski posted:

"I have exceptional reflexes and a sixth sense for danger, so I built some gadgets to go with the theme" is a good power level for AoS, but unfortunately that comes along with the name Spider-Man. You thought it was annoying when the show focused on Skye too much? There's no way to put a big name like Spidey on there and not have him hog the spotlight.

I agree that this is probably the biggest danger. It would take exceptional talent and restraint on the part of everyone involved.

• Locked thread