Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Nah, he's right. Johan was introduced in season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Season 3 sucked because Chazz dies halfway through and Chazz Princeton is a beautiful shining star. Chazz it up.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Nah, it's just that Jaden becomes a bit less nice to his friends because he gets a new super best friend forever that he kinda obviously likes more than his other friends and some people think that made him a bit of a jerk.
The small matter of him Allowing about 99% of them to be sacrificed for the maguffin of the arc played nothing towards that, I'm sure.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Can someone who watched Zexal put this gif in context for me?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Strange Quark posted:

Can someone who watched Zexal put this gif in context for me?

Alito is beaten in a duel by Yuma and this causes him to stop liking Kotori and start liking Yuma because he really likes strong people (hell, his deck is based on boxing)

It's basically the first time we see that friendships with the Barian are possible (I mean, apart from the entirety of the series withShark, but that's a rather different situation), which to a point could be considered super important since the Barians not being evil and just being good people trapped in a stupid, senseless war is one of the things Zexal does really well.

It's also hilarious.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Blaze Dragon posted:

Alito is beaten in a duel by Yuma and this causes him to stop liking Kotori and start liking Yuma because he really likes strong people (hell, his deck is based on boxing)

It's basically the first time we see that friendships with the Barian are possible (I mean, apart from the entirety of the series withShark, but that's a rather different situation), which to a point could be considered super important since the Barians not being evil and just being good people trapped in a stupid, senseless war is one of the things Zexal does really well.

It's also hilarious.

So... Worth watching Zexal for?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

No.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Strange Quark posted:

Please, do not ever watch Yugioh Zexal, because it is poo poo, and bad.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Apparently it beat Kill la Kill in some popularity poll in Japan or something.

Makes sense.
Kill la Kill is goony as all gently caress.
And I'd imagine a lot of kids skewed that particular poll, seeing as it probably was in Jump.

(everybody knows if you did a poll just for otaku Kancolle would win even if it's not on the list)

alcharagia posted:

Back on topic!
Yes never watch Zexal. It's terrible and is pretty much everything bad with the series in one pile.
Watch Arc-V it's the exact opposite.
I'm going to regret the above aren't I.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Pyrotoad posted:

It's not like how the third series of Digimon went all Diet Evangelion on everyone, is it? :ohdear:

No because Tamers was really loving good, and is the best season. So if it had been like Tamers it would have been enjoyable. It's more like Digimon 02. It's garbage that missed the point of the previous season and just serves to attempt to poo poo all over the characters you enjoyed and meanders around with a bullshit loony tunes plot until it finally killed the series for the (Then best) in the franchise to come along (5Ds)

Actually considering the two love interests (besides Yubel who is the reincarnation of his dead friend/lover in a hermaphrodite body in Card form who went crazy because corrupted by the light) are Asuka and Rei. So you might have a point...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pyrotoad posted:

It's not like how the third series of Digimon went all Diet Evangelion on everyone, is it? :ohdear:
what the gently caress

tamers owned

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

alcharagia posted:

Season 3 sucked because Chazz dies halfway through and Chazz Princeton is a beautiful shining star. Chazz it up.

I actually own a commissioned Chazz Princeton plushie complete with frayed ends of his blazer, courtesy of some friends in North Carolina as a birthday present one time. It has a voice box that when pressed says "If it can't hide the dirt, I don't want it over my shirt!"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alcharagia posted:

I actually own a commissioned Chazz Princeton plushie complete with frayed ends of his blazer, courtesy of some friends in North Carolina as a birthday present one time. It has a voice box that when pressed says "If it can't hide the dirt, I don't want it over my shirt!"
it belongs in a museum

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Strange Quark posted:

Worth reading a summary of ZeXal, watching maybe episodes 33-35 and 63-67 and then all of ZeXal II in which points the characters all become tolerable and the plot actually gets pretty decent. ZeXal is kinda the opposite of 5D's, instead of suddenly getting to the shitter it suddenly gets fairly good and even enjoyable as time goes on.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Not that I'm close to starting Zexel yet, but are the dubs passable? I really don't want to look directly into the yugioh

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Strange Quark posted:

Uhh, I'll be perfectly honest. Zexal II is actually really good and very much worth watching (once it gets serious, anyways). The problem is that you have to go through Zexal, which is poo poo and definitely not worth watching.

Zexal is basically the anti-YGO. While normal YGO series get worse by the end, Zexal got a lot better, but it started so drat badly that it really didn't give any Hope to the viewer. I simply can't recommend going through how bad Zexal is only for Zexal II even if I loving loved the Barian Emperors and their arc, which is basically the only thing in Zexal I'm willing to admit I actually liked.

In fact, ArmyOfMidgets is absolutely right, even if the episodes chosen are kind of random. You might as well just watch the last few episodes, since those are actually good, then just skip to Zexal II with a synopsis of what happened in Zexal. It probably will feel weird but if you absolutely must see Zexal it's the way to go, it's not worth going through the beginning of the series, it's not even good to laugh at.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

everythingWasBees posted:

but that'll take years
can't i just have baal sub it for me

Buy the loving manga it's based on, it's better anyways.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I'll say again, the best thing I heard from Zexal was the bad guys getting the same bullshit power of Yuma to draw their trump card at will, leading to the moment where one of the villains activates this power.... only to realize the board is in the one state the that card is absolutely useless. That seems pretty hilarious though I don't know if the show plays it as such.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Uhh, I'll be perfectly honest. Zexal II is actually really good and very much worth watching (once it gets serious, anyways). The problem is that you have to go through Zexal, which is poo poo and definitely not worth watching.

Zexal is basically the anti-YGO. While normal YGO series get worse by the end, Zexal got a lot better, but it started so drat badly that it really didn't give any Hope to the viewer. I simply can't recommend going through how bad Zexal is only for Zexal II even if I loving loved the Barian Emperors and their arc, which is basically the only thing in Zexal I'm willing to admit I actually liked.

In fact, ArmyOfMidgets is absolutely right, even if the episodes chosen are kind of random. You might as well just watch the last few episodes, since those are actually good, then just skip to Zexal II with a synopsis of what happened in Zexal. It probably will feel weird but if you absolutely must see Zexal it's the way to go, it's not worth going through the beginning of the series, it's not even good to laugh at.

Picked those out specifically because III vs Yuma distilled Yuma's character for the first part and showed Kattobing as a sorta cool ideal to have, while also giving enough info on who the Archlights are. Honestly I'd say that's the point where ZeXal starts going up, and then the last few episodes of Tron because he's a fun as hell antagonist and does his best villain poo poo in his duel against Kaito, and the only proper Numbers fight with Yuma.

e: oh poo poo i'm a dumbass, 47-49 for the III vs Yuma duel. drat it took a longass time to get interesting. In any case if you get really into it then I guess 47 onward is where ZeXal I gets passable to watch.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 10, 2015

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Just finished Chazz's duel with Mini Chazz and I really didn't expect them to go all-in on the Ojama archetype. Apparently cards for it even came out when GX had finished airing?

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Some list I've seen with what to watch/skip in Zexal part 1. The thing about Zexal that bugged me the most was how big an IDIOT Yuma was. He (mostly) grows out of that by part 2 so that was a giant plus.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

Not that I'm close to starting Zexel yet, but are the dubs passable? I really don't want to look directly into the yugioh

I watched the first two episodes when they aired, from what I can remember it was a pretty standard kid's anime dub. If you've ever seen the Nintendo-made Pokemon dubs, its like that but with less wooden acting. Yuma's voice was okay, but from clips of it I've seen it gets worse (i.e. nasally) as the series goes on. Other than that, I don't remember it being any worse than the original Japanese, and was better in some ways.

I'll probably start watching it soon, but I'm a) waiting for the whole thing to be completed, and b) I'm watching the 5Ds dub for the first time and having just finished the Dark Signers arc, which means I now have to suffer through the loving WRGP all over again. :smithicide:

Kay Kessler fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Feb 10, 2015

Sicke
Jul 12, 2013

Honestly I just wanted a seal picture
How can anyone stand watching Zexal, 5 minutes in and I am banging my head against a wall?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kay Kessler posted:

I watched the first two episodes when they aired, from what I can remember it was a pretty standard kid's anime dub. If you've ever seen the Nintendo-made Pokemon dubs, its like that but with less wooden acting. Yuma's voice was okay, but from clips of it I've seen it gets worse (i.e. nasally) as the series goes on. Other than that, I don't remember it being any worse than the original Japanese, and was better in some ways.

I'll probably start watching it soon, but I'm a) waiting for the whole thing to be completed, and b) I'm watching the 5Ds dub for the first time and having just finished the Dark Signers arc, which means I now have to suffer through the loving WRGP all over again. :smithicide:

You don't have to. Stop. It's for your own good.

The thing that gets me about zexal, even just reading plot summaries on the wiki, is how loving stupid the whole metaplot is, even for Yugioh. The general rule I'm seeing in Yugioh is that the bits that have some connection to real world mythology (ancient Egyptian games, Atlantis, demons in the Nazca lines) are the good bits and the rest of it takes a left turn off the crazy cliff and nosedives into the rocks of awfulness (Virtual World, GX season 3, Yliaster, ALL OF ZEXAL). Arc-V seems to be kind of an exception, but arguably alternate dimensions are kind of like modern mythology.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, if Arc-V is based around a separate dimension which focuses on each summoning type and the main world that everything else spokes off of, I want to see a ritual dimension come out of loving nowhere with Mieru as one of their soldiers. :v: They never mention it as an option outside of her duel.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Also it's sort of implied That GX spawned the fusion universe, 5Ds spawned the Synchro universe and Zexal spawned the Xyz dimension

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Level Seven posted:

Some list I've seen with what to watch/skip in Zexal part 1. The thing about Zexal that bugged me the most was how big an IDIOT Yuma was. He (mostly) grows out of that by part 2 so that was a giant plus.

I wish I had had this list while I was watching, it would've cut an important part of the suffering. Though I have to wonder if it isn't being too nice on the blue, you'd expect more from Zexal.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Level Seven posted:

If one was to judge basely solely on this guide, it would seem that Zexal isn't nearly as bad as everyone seems to describe it. There are far too many episodes that are simply "okay" for it to be great, but still not the eye-searing abomination described ITT.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dabir posted:

You don't have to. Stop. It's for your own good.

The thing that gets me about zexal, even just reading plot summaries on the wiki, is how loving stupid the whole metaplot is, even for Yugioh. The general rule I'm seeing in Yugioh is that the bits that have some connection to real world mythology (ancient Egyptian games, Atlantis, demons in the Nazca lines) are the good bits and the rest of it takes a left turn off the crazy cliff and nosedives into the rocks of awfulness (Virtual World, GX season 3, Yliaster, ALL OF ZEXAL). Arc-V seems to be kind of an exception, but arguably alternate dimensions are kind of like modern mythology.

I dunno, the ancient Egypt stuff in DM kind of sucked once you got to see it. The ancient shadow games were talked up at every opportunity, but once you actually got to there, there were no games at all. Everyone was just using the monsters as another tool of war. And because of the whole Bakura running a gamesmaster setup thing, on top of all that you never got to find out what actually happened thousands of years ago. Maybe the manga is more generous with the details, but from what I've read about it, it sure dropped the Duelist subtitle for a reason.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

paradoxGentleman posted:

If one was to judge basely solely on this guide, it would seem that Zexal isn't nearly as bad as everyone seems to describe it. There are far too many episodes that are simply "okay" for it to be great, but still not the eye-searing abomination described ITT.

That guide seriously undervalues the degree to which Yuma Tsukumo is awful.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

I dunno, the ancient Egypt stuff in DM kind of sucked once you got to see it. The ancient shadow games were talked up at every opportunity, but once you actually got to there, there were no games at all. Everyone was just using the monsters as another tool of war. And because of the whole Bakura running a gamesmaster setup thing, on top of all that you never got to find out what actually happened thousands of years ago.

I just assumed that Obelisk smashed Bakura into a pulp in the throne room originally. :v:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Speaking of Duel Monsters, the Remastered aired a few days ago and...yeah, I was kinda joking when I suggested they could not do much worse than Sailor Moon Crystal.

The long and short of it is that they've did the Funimation "Blow 4:3 video up to 16:9" gag and only made a "new" opening to hide the points where they coulnd't get away with blowing it up to 16:9 because someone's face would be cut off.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

I just assumed that Obelisk smashed Bakura into a pulp in the throne room originally. :v:

The worst part about ZeXal is that every duel ends at less than 1000 LP. Hope Ray's effect can only be activated in that condition, even! So it never feels like Yuma is actually that skilled; he always wins by a hair's breadth. I wouldn't watch it, I personally found part 2 of ZeXal to be way worse than part 2 of 5Ds (part 1 of ZeXal is way worse than part 2 of ZeXal).

basically

alcharagia posted:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

Speaking of Duel Monsters, the Remastered aired a few days ago and...yeah, I was kinda joking when I suggested they could not do much worse than Sailor Moon Crystal.

The long and short of it is that they've did the Funimation "Blow 4:3 video up to 16:9" gag and only made a "new" opening to hide the points where they coulnd't get away with blowing it up to 16:9 because someone's face would be cut off.

Sounds like your standard uprezzing stuff, albeit a little worse than usual. I thought it wasn't really a new opening bar a shot or two.

paradoxGentleman posted:

It's really not as bad as people make it out to be. You could watch all the bad stuff in ZeXal and you're still having a better time than season 3+ of 5D's

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Sounds like your standard uprezzing stuff, albeit a little worse than usual. I thought it wasn't really a new opening bar a shot or two.

Hence "New".

Hell, if all they did was rework the ATK/DEF/LIFE displays (do they have a name? Meh) to fit the new persepctive that'd be fine but I can't see how this won't look like a hot mess when they're out of shot like my previous example.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You could watch all the bad stuff in ZeXal and you're still having a better time than season 3+ of 5D's

Actually, no, this is not true, please do not troll. Also, never watch Yugioh Zexal, because it is poo poo, and bad.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I've playing Raid Raptors a lot ever since they got released on Devpro and I just can't get this background track out of my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pv4LjRbET8

Now if only Revolution Falcon wasn't completely useless...

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just watching through the remastered ep1 of DM when I hit a note.

Kaiba's flunkies make mention that they picked up three of the four BEWDs but I was under the impression that he had them before the series started.

Course I could be trying to make Season Zero fit into DM Continuity again which is something I shoudln't realy do.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

alcharagia posted:

Actually, no, this is not true, please do not troll. Also, never watch Yugioh Zexal, because it is poo poo, and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ZeXal never did something as offensive as Jean's last turn.

I get that ZeXal will always get hate, but out of the spinoffs itīs the one i ended up enjoying the most, the story ramps up pretty well and the characters end up rather cool, but it does start really rough and forty loving episodes to get good is unnacceptable.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 10, 2015