Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Ruse posted:

Sea going unit? No beard.

Purple trade? Welcome to Shilo!

Not sea going and not goin to shilo as a naval int op! Not that I'd get back in anytime soon but it's basically Esquimalt or Halifax. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Artillery has some surveying / map type stuff as the Recce Troop Commander, or Safety Officer. It's also a good go as far as the Combat Arms go, and the 777s aren't too broken yet.

Noted, thanks I didn't know that.

Barrakketh posted:

Avoid combat arms.

That's also been said to me (due to peacetime I guess?). Outside of armored I'm basically just looking for something that I can use my degree in, as well as translatable skills in the real world. I'll ask the recruiter more about Signals, telecom sounds pretty interesting.

SuperSix fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 3, 2015

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 7, 2016

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Never go enlisted with a degree

Ever.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Apparently I'm insane - if I had to do it all over again I'd still join the infantry as an NCM. I had a blast in my career.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
Well, it's PER season and I hate my life. The "simplification" changes last year and especially the Navy's implementation of them only served to make a horrible system even more convoluted and arcane. Any benefits of the original intent of the changes have been totally written out and replaced with just more layers of rules and directives.

At least I only have three of these to get through.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
So if anyone is driving onto Edmonton Garrison and is wondering who the gently caress installed Texas Barrier chicanes at all the entrances to make life a living hell getting through the gates in the morning.

It was me. I did it. gently caress you guys I'm out in 37 days.

Scavanna
Aug 4, 2014

Melian Dialogue posted:

Ive been in long enough as a would-be CFL in the Infantry to know thats a dumbass idea. Going Int Op hasnt changed that too much. But, I wanna know if the cynical interpretation of the system I heard was true (where Reserve Int guys don't really matter for CTs because Int is a huge dumping ground for injured cbt arms, and since their spots are already budgeted, they have priority even if the reservist have the same QL5A).

Then again, having seen what happens on BIOC im not sure if I want to have to deal with that stupid rear end school ever again, so this is really just me getting scared of the real world since Im almost done my crime intelligence cert and looking for jobs.

You sound an awful lot like a guy I went on my QL5A with.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Dumb question, probably asked a lot. Didn't see a FAQ though so, eh. Are there any blood tests required when joining?

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Kazinsal posted:

Dumb question, probably asked a lot. Didn't see a FAQ though so, eh. Are there any blood tests required when joining?

Someone else can probably answer this better, it's been too long for me to really remember. They definitely take blood at some point, either at recruiting or when you get to basic. Probably at recruiting since I can't mentally fit it in with the mind trip that was needle parade. They put your blood type on your dog tags and ID card, so they get that from somewhere eh. No idea what they test for. Midichlorians and such I'd imagine.

Sixerfixer
Oct 13, 2013

I'm not going to try and sell you that three guys in the shed out back with a swinging light bulb and a bottle of SoCo is a model for responsible government. I'm just gonna say it works.
Hey mates, Res Arty O. I'm doing my master's right now, and trying to figure out what way I should go after I graduate (I have a bit of time).

I've been thinking about going Reg, but am not quite sold on it/don't know which regiment I'd choose. I'm from Ontario, but my first choice would actually be the 22nd because I don't want to get stuck in a hellhole like Shilo, or Wainwright, or Gagetown - Pet actually wouldn't be the end of the world though since Ottawa is in driving distance.

So I guess looking for input - where else besides Valcartier do the Vandoos do business? My interactions with the RCR haven't been overwhelmingly positive, but are they really that different from the others? I'm quite happy with my regiment so I plan on staying for a while even if I don't go Reg.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
PPCLI are the best (not PPCLI)

The vandoos are okay but a bit more sloppy from what I've seen, and the RCR are nitpicky and can be douches

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Sixerfixer posted:

Hey mates, Res Arty O. I'm doing my master's right now, and trying to figure out what way I should go after I graduate (I have a bit of time).

I've been thinking about going Reg, but am not quite sold on it/don't know which regiment I'd choose. I'm from Ontario, but my first choice would actually be the 22nd because I don't want to get stuck in a hellhole like Shilo, or Wainwright, or Gagetown - Pet actually wouldn't be the end of the world though since Ottawa is in driving distance.

So I guess looking for input - where else besides Valcartier do the Vandoos do business? My interactions with the RCR haven't been overwhelmingly positive, but are they really that different from the others? I'm quite happy with my regiment so I plan on staying for a while even if I don't go Reg.

If you're already a Res Arty O, why not consider Reg Arty? If Pet's not terrible then is 2 Horse out of the question?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
PPCLI are Alberta rednecks, RCR are Ontario rednecks, Vandoos are French rednecks. There's really no difference at the regimental level, and everyone has their douchebags. Battalions may vary a little when it comes to being light/mechanized infantry, but even still it's a pretty nebulous term nowadays with budget restrictions probably making everyone have to walk everywhere anyway.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Are there any differences between 1 & 2 Horse and 5 RALC? I've only worked with 2 Horse guys, they seem pretty competent. Everything but the guns is broken and worn out though, they stole all the LSVW CPs from the Reserves recently.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Vandoos operate out of Valcartier 90% of the time. 1R22R, 3R22R headquarters are there. 2R22R is based in the Citadel, downtown Québec, but the battalion effectively lives in Valcartier.

Life's not bad on the base. Pretty much everything is within walking distance, if not biking distance, and the base gym is really nice. During summer, you get the cushy summer tourism stuff if you're posted at the Citadel. You're 30 minutes by car on the highway to downtown Québec City, which is really nice if you have a spouse or children who are looking for professional work (Also free parking at the Citadel to go clubbing a stone's throw away). Housing in the area is still really cheap with lots of growing towns and new developments. My best friend straight up bought a detached bungalow in St-Charles, half way between Valcartier and Québec, with the money he saved from tour.

The training sectors are a mixture of mountain and swamp. Winter sucks because of how humid it is all the time; once you're wet, you stay wet. The reason for the humidity? Take your helmet and flip it upside down. The bottom of your helmet is where the base is located. The rim is the ring of mountains that surround the base and trap weather patterns for days, sometimes weeks. It's like maritime weather, but in the mountains.

All in all, you could do a lot worse than getting posted there.

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
Just got my FUR HAT, YUKON STYLE as my first purchase with points. CF livin'.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I lived in Valcartier a few times, first time when I was just a small child of about 2, and the second for a time around '91-92. I still miss that Chester's Chicken place from that town nearby.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Frosted Flake posted:

Are there any differences between 1 & 2 Horse and 5 RALC? I've only worked with 2 Horse guys, they seem pretty competent. Everything but the guns is broken and worn out though, they stole all the LSVW CPs from the Reserves recently.

1 Horse guys were on point when I was in 3 years ago, probably still are, the same leadership is still there. The only real difference between 1 Horse and 2 Horse is that Shilo is a huge shithole whereas Petawawa is only a shithole.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Samu posted:

So if anyone is driving onto Edmonton Garrison and is wondering who the gently caress installed Texas Barrier chicanes at all the entrances to make life a living hell getting through the gates in the morning.

It was me. I did it. gently caress you guys I'm out in 37 days.

gently caress yooouuuuuuuuuuuu. :ssj:

SuperSix, I'd say that Arty would probably make better use of your training than a lot of other officer trades - Geotech would be right up your alley, but it's an NCM trade, so it'd take longer to pay off your student loans. Failing that, the lion's share of officer trades have pretty broad allowances on degrees, so just pick something that interests you and go with it.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Oh for gently caress'S sake http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/armed-forces-applicant-cites-discrimination-over-anxiety-diagnosis-1.2949644

(armed forces applicant cites discrimination over anxiety diagnosis, if the URL is truncated)

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
Give that young man a rifle!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

There were quite a few people in my BMQ who had no business being outside, never mind in the military with weapons.

Addman
Dec 6, 2005
Shouldn't that guy tried to have get a waiver first, assuming he no longer needs the medication? It also doesn't specify how long he was off the medication, how severe this panic attack was due to a high school exam, or which trade he was applying to. I'm not sure how going to the media is supposed to help him.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
You remember that poo poo I wrote a few pages back about being smart when answering the medical questions? THIS is what I was talking about.

"I get anxious enough to have been diagnosed with a disorder." :downs:

NEXT.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

quote:

Cooper said he felt he did not need the medication and that, after trying it for a while, he stopped taking it. He said he learned about anxiety, and developed personal coping strategies that worked for him.

Even better. he refuses to medicate and thinks he knows better than doctors. This guy is a gift that keeps on giving for the CF.

Addman
Dec 6, 2005
I would just love to see the responses to this article on army.ca - I saw a lot of other sites that are caudling him. "To say that all people who have anxiety are unfit for service is a blanket statement mmmaahhhhhhhnnnn"

edit: Yes I definitely remember your advise and appreciate it. Since you mentioned it, I have noticed a lot more people who had issues with with the medical relating to those items.

Addman fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 10, 2015

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

Addman posted:

I would just love to see the responses to this article on army.ca - I saw a lot of other sites that are caudling him. "To say that all people who have anxiety are unfit for service is a blanket statement mmmaahhhhhhhnnnn"

edit: Yes I definitely remember your advise and appreciate it. Since you mentioned it, I have noticed a lot more people who had issues with with the medical relating to those items.

As much as I would enjoy that, I still cringe whenever I go on that forum. Its moderated by some old farts from the 60s who just tell everyone with a question to ask their chain of command or just give plain old wrong advice based off of their dinosaur-esque experience. I guess why bother having a public forum, afterall, the chain of command will always fix our problems :downs:

Addman
Dec 6, 2005
Heh that is exactly why I would like to see their reaction. Even if you ask a simple question that yields no search results beforehand you get a torrent of hate on those forums.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
The posters there are the epitome of dinosaur ex-CF members in their 60's whose career highlights include getting wasted in Germany and getting wasted in Cyprus, proudly flying their "veteran" license plates and are active members of regimental associations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm kind of jealous. Their peacetime Army was better than ours.

I guess you have to weigh that against the racism and hazing.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

quote:

“It scares me because I don't think people should at all be discriminated because of what mental illness they have."

It scares me because I don't think soldiers should have to worry about what mental illness Pte Bloggins has.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
You know I totally would support the guy's position if we actually had a training system that in fact could weed out people that weren't the right fit for the Military. His argument basically boils down to "Look, I've been diagnosed, but I'm coping. Let me go through the training and I'll show you I can perform just as well as anyone else". Okay, thats fair, but unfortunately everyone knows that the training system has no threshold for kicking people out who shouldn't be there. So, I'd be all for this guys' position if I had any trust in our training system to be actually a fair test of merit.

So, yeah, I understand why he's making the argument. He's doing it from a naive perspective that the military is this rigorous crucible of a test that weeds out the weak and only the strong, capable survive, and therefore, let the test decide his fate, not a doctor's note.

As well, while his case doesn't really show it, the military's view on mental health is complete bullshit, and it puts up a face/front of "Come out! Ask for help! We'll support you!" but then uses that as leverage to kick people out or whatever. Anecdotally, I've heard of guys' answering yes to a questionnaire that asked the guy if he was stressed out, on his BMQ course. He answered yes, and wasn't allowed on the range and therefore failed his BMQ because he was deemed depressed or something. Its poo poo like that that if I ever did have an issue, I would never, in a thousand years, talk to my chain of command because everyone knows it would just be used as ammunition against me. No PR moves or commercials would ever convince me otherwise.

A week after a Sgt in a unit nearby committed suicide, our form of discussion about it was the RSM going out in front of the regiment and basically ordering people not to kill themselves.

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 11, 2015

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Melian Dialogue posted:

As well, while his case doesn't really show it, the military's view on mental health is complete bullshit, and it puts up a face/front of "Come out! Ask for help! We'll support you!" but then uses that as leverage to kick people out or whatever.

I totally agree with this. I answered truthfully on my first medical questionnaire because I thought it was for liability purposes and it turned into "get a doctor's note for every little thing you disclosed" and my doctor almost refused to help me. I then realized it became a game of "suck it up and act like a man" if you want to be in the army.

I think the trick now is to just hide everything until you're in, then disclose later. Typical beg for forgiveness rather than ask permission bullshit.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Mantle posted:

I think the trick now is to just hide everything until you're in, then disclose later. Typical beg for forgiveness rather than ask permission bullshit.

Yeah, that's actually terrible advice that could involve spending some time at Club Ed.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

MagicCube posted:

Yeah, that's actually terrible advice that could involve spending some time at Club Ed.

That's the actual advice given to me by a Captain trying to recruit me when I was 15.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Mantle posted:

That's the actual advice given to me by a Captain trying to recruit me when I was 15.

Well, 1) that Captain is a moron and 2) that Captain isn't going to be the one charging you when your lie is found out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I think there's a lot of cases of ADHD that go unreported/undiagnosed, for example. I think the official policy is that since that would require treatment with ritalin or whatever, and since you can't be supplied with it in the field, nobody with ADHD can join the military. That's pretty clearly not the case, but I guess it's easier to just never tell anyone than for the military to make reasonable accommodations for guys that have proven they can do the job.