Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Turtlicious posted:

I embarked on a place with only sand near a river, everyone was starving to death, so I dug a long hallway to flood the dwarf.

Apparently I had dug down into the caverns when I wasn't paying attention, so all I ended up doing was misting the dining room, and flooding the caverns, (very slowly.)

How do you farm when you only have sand and much much lower, stone?

Also what's the trick to stop that dumb thing with barrels where dwarves will pick up the whole barrel take it to a seed and then put the barrel down?

Sand doesn't need anything to be farmable, you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Turtlicious posted:

How do you farm when you only have sand and much much lower, stone?

If you have plenty of water you can farm on bare rock, you just need to get it wet. As another poster said though you can make farm plots on any form of dirt, soil or sand, even clay, above ground or below ground.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

scamtank posted:

Aww, I don't think CheckChest works right for storing away waterskins and arrows. :smith: Does anyone have a fort where there's plenty of dwarves stuffing their belongings into chests? What's their task description? StoreOwnedItem is the one for clothes and cabinets, but what about common bric-a-brac? Do both use that one?

I don't know the answer to this as I don't have a fort going, but to prevent your noble work getting buried, have you tried "Store Item in Chest"?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Since I see Meph/whoever added an Ice Sculptor to Kobold Camp (Masterwork) I can now live my dream of a glacier fort where every drat thing is made of ice. Wish me luck.

e: first random fort name is BOWELBLAZED :2bong:

e: In the sixth week, undead mumak corpses appeared on the ice and demolished everyone. :2bong:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 8, 2015

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Maugrim posted:

I don't know the answer to this as I don't have a fort going, but to prevent your noble work getting buried, have you tried "Store Item in Chest"?

Good effort, but the whole deal with revising fix-armory.cpp comes from the fact that StoreItemInChest and StoreItemInCabinet were completely removed from the game a few versions ago.

Using StoreOwnedItem for both looks like it's working, but it's not consistent. I wonder if StoreItemInHospital would do the trick.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Michaellaneous posted:

I enjoy having one dwarf just produce stone crafts all the time. Gets rid of all that annoying stone littering my floors, and once you reach masterwork crafts you can buy up entire caravans.

Mugs are better than crafts, because sometimes you get three crafts, sometimes you don't, but you always get three mugs. Also:

Nietzschean posted:

Mechanisms are worth more, and have utility beyond trading.

Mechanisms have base value 30 which would be the same as 3x10 value mugs/crafts, but true about utility.

Also, if you have asnd/clay and magma, you have infinite tradegoods of whatever source.

But to keep FPS down ultimately I want to keep item count down, and thousands of crafts/mugs/mechanisms isn't something I want.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Mugs are superior to crafts because in the Alt-A reaction tweaker you can't set the decoration/encrustment target to be "any craft item". You have to discriminate between figurines and bracelets and amulets oh gently caress it just put an onyx handle on every one of these granite tankards.

I only do this if there's tons and tons of talc or some "not appropriate for my massive stone monuments" rock that I want to get rid of. I turn trash rock into mugs and the non-stone into beads and just encrust the poo poo out of everything.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I encrust all of my mugs with Lead in preparation for the glorious day when Toady implements saturnism

so many mead hall brawls

:iit:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do you get water from snow / ice in winter, I tried mining it, but I don't have any options in the still or kitchen to make water.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Turtlicious posted:

How do you get water from snow / ice in winter, I tried mining it, but I don't have any options in the still or kitchen to make water.

You can't.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
If you have a cistern enough z-layers down, I don't think you have to worry about freezing. In my tundra embark, a 'pipeline' 3 z-levels down leading to a 3x3x3 shaft (with a well up top) hasn't frozen. You can also dig down to find a deeper water source/find magma to pump under the ice. Those options might be a little more painful.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Excelzior posted:

I encrust all of my mugs with Lead in preparation for the glorious day when Toady implements saturnism

so many mead hall brawls

:iit:

I'm looking forward to colloidal silver personally, that would be so fitting :allears:

RedTonic posted:

If you have a cistern enough z-layers down, I don't think you have to worry about freezing. In my tundra embark, a 'pipeline' 3 z-levels down leading to a 3x3x3 shaft (with a well up top) hasn't frozen. You can also dig down to find a deeper water source/find magma to pump under the ice. Those options might be a little more painful.

Nah you just need to get your water in an "inside, underground" tile, even just 1 down from the permafrost. While you can place a wellhead at the top of the map leading down to water 40 z-levels down, the bucket takes time to run down and up, and for each dude taking a drink this can add up. I don't *think* DF is smart enough to melt frozen water even if magma is adjacent to it separate by 1 tile of solid non-frozen stuff.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 9, 2015

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I think you can actually use magma to melt ice into water, but it requires having temperature turned on.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Flesh Forge posted:

While you can place a wellhead at the top of the map leading down to water 40 z-levels down, the bucket takes time to run down and up, and for each dude taking a drink this can add up.

When I'm relying on deep wells I make 4-8 all in the same room. Usually the hospital. If you ever see all of them in use at the same time it is a clear signal that something has gone wrong.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Oh nice, so a little less to worry about. (And I never make a well deeper than 4 levels, myself.) But yeah, if your temp = on, magma can thaw ice.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

There might be weird requirements like it having to be flowing magma or something. It's been a long time.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It has to be flowing magma. The ice will melt but as soon as the magma stops flowing it will freeze again.

Also if your well isn't underground (building a roof over it doesn't work) the water it is over will also freeze and your well will deconstruct.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a list anywhere of necessary pasture tiles for grazing animals?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yes:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Grazer

After ~20 embarks I think I finally have a kobold glacial camp that will survive past the first year. I broke down and peeked at the map with reveal a bunch of times because I seem to have a remarkably dry first cavern layer down below the glacier (for like 5 embarks I found out the hard way there was no water at all so gently caress that). Also starting on glaciers is super hard if you can't or won't do a lot of digging, the "icy cloud" poo poo rolls over your buildings and totally destroys them, including their build materials.

Some causes of failures:

- Didn't bring enough drinks/didn't sink a well in time, everyone died of thirst
- Icy fog mashed my buildings several times, turning off Weather does not disable that
- Provoked siege/ambush wayyyy before I had anything in place to cope with it
- Stupid loving gargoyles

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 9, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Wow that freezing mist is bullshit. It deconstructed a raised drawbridge. I don't really see how you play on a glacier any more unless you're totally below ground, which is a bit difficult for MDF Kobolds (not impossible, but a pain/requires luck).

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Freezing mist? :wtc: How does that even work?

Also, does falling snow just never actually accumulate? My map never turns white.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Turns out marksdwarves will totally climb on top of fortifications before jumping three z-levels down over into a moat to pursue a squad of goblins.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Mygna posted:

Turns out marksdwarves will totally climb on top of fortifications before jumping three z-levels down over into a moat to pursue a squad of goblins.

That's a new one for me. I was aware of the importance of making sure all fortifications are properly built at the corners to prevent marksdwarves pathing through + down to their deaths after a fight, since I watched an entire squad do it one time.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

RedTonic posted:

Freezing mist? :wtc: How does that even work?

Taking notes from the evil biome murk and just applying it to an effect that appears in normal biomes. Sandstorms and the like. I should figure out how Meph did that.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Is it just me or is the game more prone to crashing than it used to be? I have it set to save seasonally, but after my third crash in as many (in game) years, this is getting frustrating. No mods on it except for Dwarf Therapist.

I haven't played in forever, though, so I'm having fun being surprised at all the fun new features that have been added in, like creatures being able hop right over my one block high wall. And the fact that cats display climbing skill :3:

E. Ugh, make that four. I must be doing something wrong here, this is ridiculous.

UnbearablyBlight fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 9, 2015

Quantum Milkman
Jun 18, 2009

That list is not correct for current versions of the game, hence why it has been removed from the current wiki. (Of particular note, elephants are no longer impossible to satiate.) Grazing values are no longer defined in a creature's raws. Instead they are dependent on the creature's maximum size. Since the numbers can't now just be copy-pasted from the raws into the wiki, nobody has yet calculated them to get the wiki updated.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Esme posted:

E. Ugh, make that four. I must be doing something wrong here, this is ridiculous.

Weird, its been stable as hell for me using dfhack on both Windows and OSX. Does it happen with a fresh install and world?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
I learned the hard way that saving often is the only sure way to avoid a lot of grief. Even then, keeping a yearly back-up save is a good idea, since if the game crashes while saving there seems to be a good chance it will eat the loving files it was writing and leave you with nothing.

It's a shame because the game 'as it's meant to be played', with no easy way to savescum, is pretty cool with each siege, monster or disaster that arrives having the potential to end your fort for good - no backsies. But it's not fun or even !FUN! to lose hours of RL work to a crash.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Esme posted:

Is it just me or is the game more prone to crashing than it used to be? I have it set to save seasonally, but after my third crash in as many (in game) years, this is getting frustrating. No mods on it except for Dwarf Therapist.

It feels about the same, but it bothers me less, because now with DFHack you can just hit ctrl+q to force a save - not a copy/save like end of season, just save.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

If there's anything that destabilizes Dwarf Fortress, it's DFHack scripts. OnLoad stuff especially.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
I've been having a lot of crashes myself during the recording of DFVIDTUTS2015. Peredexiserrant told me it's because of the zone plugin, and if you type "unload zone" into the DFhack window that should help.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of problems which probably have to do with DFhack ...

I am getting a bunch of work stoppage with repeat jobs that are not handled by DFhack. Stockflow and Workflow work perfectly, and I have yet to have a single problem with them; but, regularly-queued jobs are having all kinds of issue.

I first noticed it in Magma forges and furnaces, but I have been able to notice the same problem occur in other workshops such as the clothier and the still.

Here is the problem:

I will have a job, or set of jobs, set to repeat in one or more workshops which I basically want to just indefinitely run; for example, with there being mussels on my map I pretty much always want at least one Craftsdwarf's Workshop to be making Shell leggings (base value 23, higher than the average for a set of crafts), and I definitely want all my Magma kilns to be making GBS threads out as many Stoneware Bricks as possible for surface construction (and skill training). Manually set repeating jobs like this, for some reason, are repeatedly resulting in the dwarves with relevant labours displaying "No Job" for months at a time, and the jobs are not suspended. It is intermittent and sporadic, and I have found a temporary workaround: manually remove (not suspend, that does not work) the job(s) from the workshop(s) and add them again. Toggling the labour on the dwarves, either in-game with the DFhack labour plugin, out of game with Therapist, or in-game with the default interface, does not solve the problem; toggling suspend or repeat does not resolve it. Only removing and reapplying the job fixes it.

The workaround is livable but significantly less than ideal. It's not a huge deal for Furnaces, Kilns, and Smelters, but for workshops where I want a variety of things to be constantly cycled with a variety of materials; i.e., Carpenter's, Clothier's, and Craftsdwarf's workshops, and especially forges, this can result in a dozen or more keystrokes per workshop every time I notice that work has stopped. A macro could solve this, but I would prefer to just find out what is causing the problem and prevent it.

I have written a bay12 thread about it wherein everyone ignored the OP and suggested that I check for suspended jobs :downs: and would really appreciate the input of the known computer wizards in this thread; e.g., scamtank, for trying to identify what causes the issue and how to either prevent it or fix it more quickly than by removing and reapplying jobs. I have already ruled out path finding issues, burrow constraints, suspended jobs, injured dwarves, military orders, other dwarves being assigned the job(s), and everything else that generally falls under the umbrella of Troubleshooting 101. Someone in the linked thread suggested it might be related to some kind of "job cooldown," and while I am skeptical about that being true I am hoping that scamtank, especially, with his experience meddling with the memory structure can shed some light on this.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

necrotic posted:

Weird, its been stable as hell for me using dfhack on both Windows and OSX. Does it happen with a fresh install and world?

Yep, everything's brand new. Maybe it's my laptop protesting, I dunno.

Flesh Forge posted:

It feels about the same, but it bothers me less, because now with DFHack you can just hit ctrl+q to force a save - not a copy/save like end of season, just save.

Part of me really wants to use DFHack for the improvements on the UI, less micromanagement, quicksaving, etc., but part of me also knows that I would use it to cheat away enemies and save favorite dwarves and ultimately make the game less fun for myself.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Quantum Milkman posted:

Instead they are dependent on the creature's maximum size. Since the numbers can't now just be copy-pasted from the raws into the wiki, nobody has yet calculated them to get the wiki updated.

It doesn't seem particularly difficult to calculate, though, based on the talk page for the current version. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014_Talk:Grazer

Nietzschean posted:

I am getting a bunch of work stoppage with repeat jobs that are not handled by DFhack. Stockflow and Workflow work perfectly, and I have yet to have a single problem with them; but, regularly-queued jobs are having all kinds of issue.

I've had the same problems, and from asking in the DFHack IRC channel it is a workflow bug. I can confirm that since I disabled workflow and cancelled all the stuck jobs I haven't had the issue recur.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Esme posted:

Part of me really wants to use DFHack for the improvements on the UI, less micromanagement, quicksaving, etc., but part of me also knows that I would use it to cheat away enemies and save favorite dwarves and ultimately make the game less fun for myself.

You are nuts, hth.

For real, just the basic utility poo poo in DFHack is super tremendously nice and makes vanilla DF suck much less. Things like digv (dig out an entire vein) and resume (unsuspend all suspended tasks) and all the mouse integration (drawing stockpiles and constructions by mouseclick) holy loving poo poo how do you not play with that stuff once you're aware they exist.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

DFHack is essential, unless a core part of Dwarf Fortress gameplay for you is having to restart and find a location five times because dammit you want some honeybees and there just aren't any on the map. Mouse integration is huge, and I still prefer digv to the autodig thing because autodig will happily bust right through exterior walls. There's some great commands for reducing FPS heat death, and there's some bugfixes too for stuff like stuck merchants.

Granted I love DFHack for some of its other functions as well - I blatantly cheat if a goblin siege shows up year one and I have no remorse over it at all, I like that other people play this game as an ironman restarting sim but personally I'm not interested in that. Same with ore - I normally start out with some idea of the sort of industry I'm going for, and planning for iron only to find out several hours in that there's none on the map isn't my idea of fun.

Masterwork was great too, and I hope Meph gets the DF2014 Masterwork build up and running. Some of the quality of life functionality was incredible. Who wouldn't want a single job for "make a full set of silk clothing?"

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sub Rosa posted:

It doesn't seem particularly difficult to calculate, though, based on the talk page for the current version. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014_Talk:Grazer

I've had the same problems, and from asking in the DFHack IRC channel it is a workflow bug. I can confirm that since I disabled workflow and cancelled all the stuck jobs I haven't had the issue recur.

Since workflow is otherwise fine and this is just an issue with vanilla repeating jobs, I am going to try out just making a workflow for some absurdly high number for the range limit of a thing; i.e., 9999-9999 or whatever the character limit is, for things that I want to repeat endlessly. Will report back with results.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Prop Wash posted:

Granted I love DFHack for some of its other functions as well - I blatantly cheat if a goblin siege shows up year one and I have no remorse over it at all,

Same. I have like 30 dwarves, none with combat skills, I got nothing for arms and 60 goblins fully armed and armored show up (and are always led by a master marksmen who could kill my entire fort by himself). slayrace goblin, hopefully in 2 seasons I'll have my army up to snuff to play fair.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Nietzschean posted:

Since workflow is otherwise fine and this is just an issue with vanilla repeating jobs, I am going to try out just making a workflow for some absurdly high number for the range limit of a thing; i.e., 9999-9999 or whatever the character limit is, for things that I want to repeat endlessly. Will report back with results.

If you want something to repeat endlessly, it wouldn't need a workflow limit at all, just set it to repeat. The problem is that with workflow enabled, when that job would normally be cancelled, such as for lack of inputs, workflow instead suspends it. Those suspended jobs (at least sometimes) do not get worked when unsuspended. It doesn't make a difference from my experience of the bug if the job is manually unsuspended or unsuspended by workflow itself because it is below your set limit, so setting a high limit shouldn't make a difference in terms of mitigating the bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

See if there was a way to just make invaders and all their carried poo poo go poof I would feel less guilty about that kind of thing, but even so I'm not above doing that once in a while. Is there some DFHack command that just vanishes a unit? Not like you couldn't just disable invaders for a while in vanilla.