Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Some podcasts I listen to seem not to have the concept of dead air being bad (when they're trying to look up a fact or trivia or something on their phones), so I can see Smart Speed being really useful for those times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

It really is neat perfect. I listen to mostly unprofessional podcasts things like the Bombcasts and MBMBAM and it really makes the podcasts sound tighter and more produced than anything.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
While I love smart speed, I got through the history of Rome in about 68/72 hours, overcast would be worth it for the voice boost effect alone.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Disappointing Pie posted:

It really is neat perfect. I listen to mostly unprofessional podcasts things like the Bombcasts and MBMBAM and it really makes the podcasts sound tighter and more produced than anything.

I checked this afternoon, I'm at 138 hours saved. I think I listen to too many podcasts.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i like listening to my podcasts sped up because i like to pretend i'm a robot downloading compressed data into my robot brain

beep beep boop

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

That clip of Hardcore History using smart speed has just made my thoughts that it sounds terrible even stronger. Like...there's a cadence to Carlin's speech, and those pauses are there for effect, and this just eliminates both of those things.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
It's worth remembering that Smart Speed doesn't eliminate pauses but reduces them proportionally. The pauses don't go away, they are just shorter (no shorter than 20% of the original pause). So cadence can still exist. If it sounds weird, just turn it off for that podcast. It's mostly useful for less professionally produced podcasts, like your average "dudes riffing on bad movies" casts. It's bad for music based shows or storytelling where pauses are more deliberate. The app remembers your preference per podcast, so it's no big deal.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Yeah, I still don't get it.

My reaction when I hear people who have poor or undesirably awkward conversational pacing is not to apply an autotune equivalent and attempt to clean it up -- it's to seek out different content. A significant part of the impact of someone's speech is the way that they use silence. Unless someone is reading a technical manual to me, I want to retain as much as possible of the person's real way of communicating.

There's also the way it's framed as "saving time". It's not really saving time. You're altering the experience of hearing someone speak on a very basic level.

I think it's an interesting feature.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
A ton of podcasters are not organized and have awkward silences that have nothing to do with normal pacing of speech. Those silences are straight-up bad production, with nothing to do with the rhythm of conversation. That said-- those podcasts may still have redeeming value beyond their amateur production, and Overcast helps that a lot, and the best part is it's selectable on a per-podcast basis.

Uhh Yeah Dude? No way I'd use smartspeed.

Gruber's Talk Show? Definitely smartspeed.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

ephori posted:

A ton of podcasters are not organized and have awkward silences that have nothing to do with normal pacing of speech. Those silences are straight-up bad production, with nothing to do with the rhythm of conversation.

Well that means they suck at what they're putting out there, which is not acceptable to me. Also that has everything to do with normal pacing of speech, because it is literally the pacing of their speech/conversation.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
People who have interesting things to say and people who are good at editing podcasts are not always the same people.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

ephori posted:

People who have interesting things to say and people who are good at editing podcasts are not always the same people.

Removing silence is about as sophisticated as using a pencil eraser.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

An Enormous Boner posted:

Well that means they suck at what they're putting out there, which is not acceptable to me. Also that has everything to do with normal pacing of speech, because it is literally the pacing of their speech/conversation.

Podcasts aren't 100% performance art, man

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I spent some time flipping between Smart Speed and unmodified listening when I first downloaded the app. I honestly think that the "flavour" of the speech isn't lost as much as some worry about, or in fact at all in many cases. If it wasn't proportional (like, say a straight speed increase or just pause elimination) I would have a problem with it, but for a good percentage of what I listen to it works. Again, I suppose it depends on what you're listening to and why. I just don't think you're losing as much conversational fidelity as all that, though.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
You seem pretty rigid on this Boner. It's ok you can not use that feature.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Yeesh hardcore history was a horrible example to use to sell smart speed. That show IS performance art (please don't admit to us publicly that you use it as a learning source). Dan knows exactly what he's doing when it comes to his dramatic beats and volume control. Editing that for him is not cool and kind of disrespectful to his craft - which is he drat good at.

You're free to do whatever you want, of course.

For me, Downcast's playlist control is what wins me. It's really robust and has awesome dynamic playlist controls. There's a couple of shows I'm sure I'd use smart speed on but the rest of the app is a no-sell for me.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

n4 posted:

You seem pretty rigid on this Boner. It's ok you can not use that feature.

I like to chat about stuff on the internet.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I will say, as much as I like Overcast, the current version is annoying me. I tend to just throw all my podcasts onto a master playlist in a mix of old and new, fiddling with the order as I go. Recently it stopped remembering most of the changes I make to the order. It's such a little dumb thing but for some reason I find it irritating.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Zigmidge posted:

Yeesh hardcore history was a horrible example to use to sell smart speed. That show IS performance art (please don't admit to us publicly that you use it as a learning source). Dan knows exactly what he's doing when it comes to his dramatic beats and volume control. Editing that for him is not cool and kind of disrespectful to his craft - which is he drat good at.

You're free to do whatever you want, of course.

For me, Downcast's playlist control is what wins me. It's really robust and has awesome dynamic playlist controls. There's a couple of shows I'm sure I'd use smart speed on but the rest of the app is a no-sell for me.

I think that's the reason that podcast was used--everyone knows a podcast that is underproduced, but most people are curious what it does to those that are well crafted.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ChetReckless posted:

I will say, as much as I like Overcast, the current version is annoying me. I tend to just throw all my podcasts onto a master playlist in a mix of old and new, fiddling with the order as I go. Recently it stopped remembering most of the changes I make to the order. It's such a little dumb thing but for some reason I find it irritating.

I had this problem for a little bit, but then it stopped. I don't know what happened, though I also ran through my list, so it may just be that I'm not reordering for the most part.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Disappointing Pie posted:

Where do you find this info? I've looked all over the app but can't seem to find where it tells you how much time has been saved.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ChetReckless posted:

There's a sync bug that's supposedly fixed in the current beta that's causing this.

It also causes it to constantly redownload a bunch of my completed episodes with bookmarks at weird random places halfway in. :argh:

Should be getting fixed within a week or so according to Marco.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

empty baggie posted:

Where do you find this info? I've looked all over the app but can't seem to find where it tells you how much time has been saved.
It's in the settings under About.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

It's in the settings under About.

That's weird. It doesn't show up for me, and I definitely use SmartSpeed. All it shows for me is what open-source libraries the app uses and thank you list.

VVV Ah, I see it now. Don't know how I missed it all of those times.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 11, 2015

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

empty baggie posted:

That's weird. It doesn't show up for me, and I definitely use SmartSpeed. All it shows for me is what open-source libraries the app uses and thank you list.

It's not "in" the about option, but physically below it. Just above the delete button.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

So, which of these two podcast apps (downcast and overcast) has the best (or only) voice boost feature? I don't need to speed up my podcasts, but I'd like to be able to hear and understand soft-spoken voices with my earbuds when I'm in a loud environment.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Overcast did it first and best. Voice Boost is it's other big feature along with Smart Speed, and it's so good that most people completely forget it exists.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

TheJoker138 posted:

That clip of Hardcore History using smart speed has just made my thoughts that it sounds terrible even stronger. Like...there's a cadence to Carlin's speech, and those pauses are there for effect, and this just eliminates both of those things.

I find Smart Speed highly useful for many shows, but Hardcore History is one of the podcasts it is not good for. Anything highly produced, really. Bunch of dudes chatting, though? It's great.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

cbirdsong posted:

I find Smart Speed highly useful for many shows, but Hardcore History is one of the podcasts it is not good for. Anything highly produced, really. Bunch of dudes chatting, though? It's great.

Bunch of folks chatting is perfect. Everyone in the group becomes incredibly witty when there's less of a gap between speakers. it's like they're all waiting to zing each other.

radge
Jan 21, 2005

I wish Castro would rip off Smart Speed. Overcast is awful apart from that feature.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So I finally decided to make a switch to Overcast because I am days (literally, days) behind on my podcasts and want to make use of Smart Speed.

Annoyingly, after buying the full unlock I realised that it doesn't have a few of my favourite Pocket Casts features, like showing how many podcasts you have in a playlist or a "add to Now-Playing list" feature. I'm going to stick with it til next week because it would be a waste to spend £3.99 on an upgrade only to immediately delete it and go back, but those really were my most used and favourite parts of Pocket Casts. Also Overcast is definitely uglier than PC was.

edit: This is the third podcast app I've bought the unlock or original app purchase or whatever for. Why can't one of them just do everything right so I don't feel the need to keep switching?

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
Is there an alternative to using iTunes to sync photos all-or-nothing? I just want to drag and drop some gd wallpapers onto my device.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Duck and burger posted:

Is there an alternative to using iTunes to sync photos all-or-nothing? I just want to drag and drop some gd wallpapers onto my device.

Using windows? Download the iCloud control panel and put photos in the photostream folder. This worked last year when I tried it.

On Mac, make sure you're on the same iCloud account and use airdrop.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Duck and burger posted:

There's an app called PhotoSync with a free PC client which I find is really handy for getting photos from device to device.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Use ifunbox to control your idevice like it was any other sane design for PCs.

Dump your images in /var/mobile/Media/DCIM/ and you should see it in your photo collection on your device where you can set it as wallpaper.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Did the latest Facebook update kill the "Most Recent" feed entirely?

I was using the jailbreak hack that basically locked it on most recent all the time so you wouldn't have to keep switching it, but now I can't find it at all.

Holy poo poo is the app unusable without it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Did the latest Facebook update kill the "Most Recent" feed entirely?

I was using the jailbreak hack that basically locked it on most recent all the time so you wouldn't have to keep switching it, but now I can't find it at all.

Holy poo poo is the app unusable without it.

Most Recent is now a list item under the "More" tab. "RecentFacebook" is the jailbreak tweak that is a life saver.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I know that that's where they moved the "news feed" thing a while back, but with the latest update today I can't even find "most recent" anymore as an option. All I've got is Top News and then my various lists.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Updates and just checked, it's still there for me.

edit: and the new in-app sounds are really annoying. Do they ever actually do anything to improve the app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I don't understand why people update Facebook.app.