Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Thwomp posted:

is a thing that will only go away once EV and Hybrids become a bigger part of the market (whenever that it). It's happening slowly (see Gen 1 Volt vs the new Gen 2 Volt) but it is happening. Until then though, you'll have a lot more i3s, Prius-shapes, and Leafs because that's what EV/Hybrid shoppers want and expect.

Kia has the new Soul EV out now. Not that is a normal looking car but its at least not an EV specific design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

dissss posted:

Sure but there isn't anything inherently wrong with the design of the car itself.

Yeah the design is I hate the drivers of them because they don't respect automobiles in the correct way.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Make all electric cars look like the ones from Fallout.

and put green LED effects around where the reactor area should be. :colbert:

Realtalk, I'd love to buy an EV, but the aesthetics has been the biggest thing stopping me from taking any interest in them. The only really cool ones on the market have been the Tesla, which is expensive, and the Fisker Karma, and welp. If they'd just make a EV that wasn't a toaster on wheels, I'd be more than happy to buy one as my next car.

At least there's some cool looking hybrids out, so we're halfway there.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

how feasible is it to convert an existing vehicle to EV?

I mean youve got a massive engine bay that is already carrying a few hundred kilgrams of weight in the form of an engine and fluids, surely you could dump all the battery weight in there, remove the fuel tank to add a few more, and put the motor in place of the gearbox or something?

like if I could pay $10K to convert my car to EV with around 300kms range per charge and decent performance I would be all over that poo poo.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You can, it's just hideously expensive. To match the 85kwh battery life of the tesla is about $35k in batteries alone. then about $5k for the motor/controller/charger, and you've got 50hp and a ~200 mile range

Then you still have to deal with the heater, A/C, power steering, power brakes. all that fun stuff.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Laserface posted:

how feasible is it to convert an existing vehicle to EV?

I mean youve got a massive engine bay that is already carrying a few hundred kilgrams of weight in the form of an engine and fluids, surely you could dump all the battery weight in there, remove the fuel tank to add a few more, and put the motor in place of the gearbox or something?

like if I could pay $10K to convert my car to EV with around 300kms range per charge and decent performance I would be all over that poo poo.

I recall a buddy of my Dad's converted a Jeep Cherokee or two to an electric drive. This a was a while ago though, and he had to fill up the trunk area with batteries though.
It's been done before with a couple different models though, I'm not sure if it can be done for under 10K though.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This has been a fun blog to watch the last few years http://probatron.blogspot.com/ A Ford Probe electric conversion.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Well, if EVWest is to be believed, seven grand plus whatever you're willing to spend on batteries: http://www.evwest.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=40

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

eyebeem posted:

Some of you are idiots. Nobody buys a Prius to make a goddamn statement in 2015. Do you honestly think that's who is buying them?

People buy the Prius because it's a roomy, well appointed car that drives comfortably and quietly and happens to get great fuel economy.

I can't believe that they still get so much hate after almost two decades on the market. For the vast majority of people the Prius is hands down, the best option for a commuter car. They are comfortable, safe, cheap to run, and are reasonably priced. They aren't fun to drive, but neither are most cars.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

razorscooter posted:

Well, if EVWest is to be believed, seven grand plus whatever you're willing to spend on batteries: http://www.evwest.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=40

Their cheapest battery seems to be about $500/kwh. 40kwh would be $20k, and weigh 988lbs

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So just like RC, the biggest cost/weight is the battery.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Laserface posted:

So just like RC, the biggest cost/weight is the battery.

So you should just put a little tiny nitro powered piston engine in it......

oh hmmmm......

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

PCOS Bill posted:

The people I know who want to get a Prius fit firmly into that category of buyer.

You meant the same kind of status-obsessed conspicuous consumer that would buy a $1200 stroller? :v:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

HotCanadianChick posted:

You meant the same kind of status-obsessed conspicuous consumer that would buy a $1200 stroller? :v:

Oddly, in every other respect they hate conspicuous consumption. Or at least the first few people who come to mind.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
So it's 2015 and we don't have a turboshaft-electric supercapacitor hybrid yet. Why is this. You'd get the efficiency and battery-free weight of a turbine engine, the throttle response and performance of an electric car, the sound of an F-22 Raptor, the cost of an F-35,

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 10, 2015

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I don't drive one, but for some reason I just love the irrational hate that the Prius still gets from auto enthusiasts in 2015.

:allears:

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Does the e-Golf, e-Up, Yaris Hybrid, Auris hybrid, etc. not exist in the US? Yes, e-Golf, a fully electric but otherwise standard Golf. You can get almost any regular Toyota as a hybrid too.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

JazzmasterCurious posted:

Does the e-Golf, e-Up, Yaris Hybrid, Auris hybrid, etc. not exist in the US? Yes, e-Golf, a fully electric but otherwise standard Golf. You can get almost any regular Toyota as a hybrid too.

The e-Golf is available in the US. The Up and Auris* aren't available in the US at all, and the Yaris is not available as a hybrid.

* The Corolla sedan is obviously available, but no hatchback and no hybrid.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Is RAV4 EV being sold?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Mange Mite posted:

Is RAV4 EV being sold?

It's done I think but ford sells the Focus EV here and fiat the 500e. I think they are both CARB compliance cars and Marchione has public said multiple times that he would rather no one actually bought the 500e. I don't think it actually works that way because you have to sell the car to get the credits not just offer it for sale but you get his sentiment.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

It's done I think but ford sells the Focus EV here and fiat the 500e. I think they are both CARB compliance cars and Marchione has public said multiple times that he would rather no one actually bought the 500e. I don't think it actually works that way because you have to sell the car to get the credits not just offer it for sale but you get his sentiment.

Yeah they probably lose money on each one, just like a lot of EVs.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Isn't the Lexus CT200h based on the Auris? I know there's an Auris hybrid but I don't know how similar the two are.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

KozmoNaut posted:

The e-Golf is available in the US. The Up and Auris* aren't available in the US at all, and the Yaris is not available as a hybrid.

* The Corolla sedan is obviously available, but no hatchback and no hybrid.

The Prius C is the Yaris Hybrid. We're just about to get the Auris badged as a Scion, but with no hybrid option. And no diesel, either, remember. There is no diesel car available from Toyota at all in the us.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
I have a Ford Fusion energy, and besides he extra plug it looks like a Ford Fusion. I love how I do not use gas when going to work, and since it is a plug in hybrid I do not have the range anxiety of pure evs. The full size is also fun with all the modern safety features though. I guess that is how I feel about a Eco car.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Ryand-Smith posted:

I have a Ford Fusion energy, and besides he extra plug it looks like a Ford Fusion. I love how I do not use gas when going to work, and since it is a plug in hybrid I do not have the range anxiety of pure evs. The full size is also fun with all the modern safety features though. I guess that is how I feel about a Eco car.
I looked at the Fusion hybrid and was interested until I saw the HP spec.
Then I forgot it existed.

Wheres the series hybrid 300HP AWD version? I'd buy that one.
How bulky are batteries, anyway. Replace the engine with the 1L i3 and a generator to supply power, replace the driveshaft with a power cord and fill the rest of that area and half the gas tank area with batteries, add electric motors to the rear (and optionally front) axles. Boom. You're done.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 10, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

ilkhan posted:

How bulky are batteries, anyway.

Pretty bulky, the Fusion Hybrid we saw at the auto show last weekend had a large portion of the trunk space taken up by batteries already, and the flip down rear seats were reduced to making a pass through only about 6 inches high, since the batteries were blocking the lower part of the opening.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Holy poo poo, low gas prices means the bottom fell out of the used prius market. gently caress yes, cheap transport for when oil rockets back up.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ilkhan posted:

I looked at the Fusion hybrid and was interested until I saw the HP spec.
Then I forgot it existed.

Wheres the series hybrid 300HP AWD version? I'd buy that one.
How bulky are batteries, anyway. Replace the engine with the 1L i3 and a generator to supply power, replace the driveshaft with a power cord and fill the rest of that area and half the gas tank area with batteries, add electric motors to the rear (and optionally front) axles. Boom. You're done.

Hell might as well make sure its a six speed manual wagon under 2500 pounds with a full leather interior fpr $30k

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Hell might as well make sure its a six speed manual wagon under 2500 pounds with a full leather interior fpr $30k

Will it be available in brown?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The Prius C is the Yaris Hybrid.

Oh yeah, so it is. I completely missed that.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

There is no diesel car available from Toyota at all in the us.
I was surprised to see in the VW webshop that the new Passat comes with nothing but diesel engines here. And only as a wagon. Of course, I bet they could sell you a petrol one of you went to the dealers and gave up the cash for it, but the Passat wagon is huge here and I guess not many bought the petrol engine in the previous generation.

I see a lot of Golf wagons as well. Seems like quite a few were impatient between the new Golf and the new Passat and couldn't wait.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Taco Box posted:

Holy poo poo, low gas prices means the bottom fell out of the used prius market. gently caress yes, cheap transport for when oil rockets back up.

Would the Prius be capable of towing my mustang to the track?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Would the Prius be capable of towing my mustang to the track?

Sure, in the same way a donkey could.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

PCOS Bill posted:

The people I know who want to get a Prius fit firmly into that category of buyer.

Bought a Prius. Commute is about 50 miles a day. Went from 17mpg -> 51mpg [actual at the pump is probably closer to 48/49] and when you're driving to and from work, in stop and go traffic, I find the Prius to be comfortable and plenty adequate to 'get it done'.

No interest in making a statement, just wanted the gas milage.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

tijag posted:

Bought a Prius. Commute is about 50 miles a day. Went from 17mpg -> 51mpg [actual at the pump is probably closer to 48/49] and when you're driving to and from work, in stop and go traffic, I find the Prius to be comfortable and plenty adequate to 'get it done'.

No interest in making a statement, just wanted the gas milage.

I bought a Prius C. I couldn't give half a crap about environmental issues. I wanted a reliable car to take the salt of the winter to just drive, I needed an appliance.

I wanted a Yaris or a Fit. The Yaris had a crappy 4 speed auto, stick was only available on the 2 door base model. The fit had some stupid paddle shifter crap. Whatever - I've only ever driven manual transmission cars. Small hatchback - that's all I want. Something hard about buying one in the US apparently.

The Prius C (or any Hybrid Synergy Drive vehicle) has an electronic CVT that doesn't use any shifting gears or belts. It has a planetary gearset in constant mesh, with three variable inputs (2 electric motors/gas) and one output. Once I learned how this transmission worked, suddenly had to have a Prius. JUST LOOK AT THIS: http://eahart.com/prius/psd/

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
You do know you can just ignore those paddle shifters right?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Substantial numbers of people are terrified that the army of people who bought Priuses solely for the image are going to come knocking on their doors to take away their mustangs/coal rolling f350s that they totally have a legitimate use for and didn't buy to convey an image. Read the freep thread, be amazed at what people un ironically believe.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

First they came for the CRX, and i didn't speak out because FWD is poo poo
Then they came for the EVO, and i didn't speak out because there's no replacement for displacement
Then they came for the hypercars, and i didn't speak out because i couldn't afford them anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

Substantial numbers of people are terrified that the army of people who bought Priuses solely for the image are going to come knocking on their doors to take away their mustangs/coal rolling f350s that they totally have a legitimate use for and didn't buy to convey an image. Read the freep thread, be amazed at what people un ironically believe.

I don't like them as it seems every car company that starts selling a lot of hybrids and EVs ends up discontinuing all their fun cars and cranking up the beigemobile production. I don't think it's a coincidence that Toyota discontinued the MR-S and Celica around the same time the Prius took off, or that Honda killed the Integras and gave us the CR-Z and a fleet of CVT equipped Acuras as the consolation prize.

The Teslas are nice, but pretty useless unless you own a home where you can install a supercharger outlet, or live in one of the areas where they've installed public chargers. Also, for what you pay for one, you could buy a decent gas-engined car and about 30 years worth of fuel for it.

So far Ford has managed to avoid the temptations of going all in on hybrids and are instead going bonkers with throwing turbos on everything instead, which I can definitely get behind.

I do like the idea of future cars running on superscience, high tech power plants, but the actual tech still isn't here yet. The power density limitations of current batteries and lack of any real developed infrastructure for supporting the mass use of EVs or fuel cell cars is pretty well crippling any more than token adoption of them.