Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

drat. Yeah. It has to be an amalgam of Superman's jumper ladies.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

He's loving awesome. Batman Superman and Action Comics are easily the best Superman and Batman books being published right now :colbert:

Sure, but it's a funky thing to do.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Dec 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
I've started reading DC comics again, after a long time away. So far, I've read a decent amount of the Superman stuff in the OP, but I was wondering if someone could recommend a Superman story written in a similar vein as All Star Superman. On the other-side of the spectrum, I really enjoyed All Star Batman and Robin, so something like that would also work.

Doesn't necessarily have to be Superman, but I don't know much about the other big DC Characters. And if this is the wrong place to ask, my apologies.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

MoreMetalBrian posted:

I've started reading DC comics again, after a long time away. So far, I've read a decent amount of the Superman stuff in the OP, but I was wondering if someone could recommend a Superman story written in a similar vein as All Star Superman. On the other-side of the spectrum, I really enjoyed All Star Batman and Robin, so something like that would also work.

Doesn't necessarily have to be Superman, but I don't know much about the other big DC Characters. And if this is the wrong place to ask, my apologies.
Birthright by Mark Waid
Kingdom Come, also by Waid
Superman Beyond 3D, by Morrison
Superman Adventures #41 by Millar
Superman for All Seasons by Loeb & Sale
Red Son by Millar
Superman/Batman Annual #1 by Joe Kelly
It's not *as* good as rear end (but what is), but Morrison's Action Comics run is pretty solid from beginning to end, and hampered by some not-up-to-par art every so often.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 19, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MoreMetalBrian posted:

Supreme by Alan Moore.

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

redbackground posted:

Birthright by Mark Waid
Kingdom Come, also by Waid
Superman Beyond 3D, by Morrison
Superman Adventures #41 by Millar
Superman for All Seasons by Loeb & Sale
Red Son by Millar
Superman/Batman Annual #1 by Joe Kelly
It's not *as* good as rear end (what what is), but Morrison's Action Comics run is pretty solid from beginning to end.

Perfect, I'll look into Birthright and Superman for All Seasons. I liked Kingdom Come, but made the mistake of getting Thy Kingdom Come afterwards. Red Son was pretty good too (big fan of some of the Elseworlds stories).

Thanks for the Supreme suggestion, bobkatt, I'll give that a shot too.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

MoreMetalBrian posted:

Perfect, I'll look into Birthright and Superman for All Seasons. I liked Kingdom Come, but made the mistake of getting Thy Kingdom Come afterwards. Red Son was pretty good too (big fan of some of the Elseworlds stories).

Thanks for the Supreme suggestion, bobkatt, I'll give that a shot too.

I really enjoyed Superman: Secret Identity. It's not set in continuity at all, but it "gets" Superman.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Superman's getting a new costume in the comics. It's a step in the right direction, but still looks pretty bad. The awful artwork doesn't help.

Sucks too, because his Nu52 armor finally grew on me after all this time.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's pretty much the same thing.

e:

Space_Butler posted:

It is impossible to tell how much of that will be used as-is moving forward and how much is John Romita Jr drawing whatever the gently caress he wants.

Like how Rocafort had the wrist covers extend over his hands so far he looked like a boy trying on his dads shirt, but Kuder basically just made it a wrist-length cuff.

The solicit mentions a new costume.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Feb 2, 2015

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
It is impossible to tell how much of that will be used as-is moving forward and how much is John Romita Jr drawing whatever the gently caress he wants.

Like how Rocafort had the wrist covers extend over his hands so far he looked like a boy trying on his dads shirt, but Kuder basically just made it a wrist-length cuff.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Somehow David Finch did a better costume design over a year ago.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Those fingerless gloves are aawwwwfuuuul. Kudos to them for sticking to the "no red underwear" rule, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They're not actually fingerless gloves since they don't connect or actually go around his fingers. They're knuckle armor.

I don't know if that's better or worse, really.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

They're now giving Superman a new power, something called "flare" which based on what I saw from the teaser image might be some kind method of using his solar reserves to go off like a nuke.

I really just cannot wrap my mind around how dumb DC editors are. I wish they'd just tank the company already and sell their DC roster to Marvel.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Esroc posted:

They're now giving Superman a new power, something called "flare" which based on what I saw from the teaser image might be some kind method of using his solar reserves to go off like a nuke.

I really just cannot wrap my mind around how dumb DC editors are. I wish they'd just tank the company already and sell their DC roster to Marvel.

How about they just replace the bad editors instead of eliminating their only major competition.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Instead of headlines, try reading the comics. Both of Superman's are great at the moment.

When was the last time that's been the case? Stupid editors.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 4, 2015

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

Instead of headlines, try reading the comics. Both of Superman's are great at the moment.

When was the last time that happened?

I admit I bailed around the conclusion of the H'el arc and the convoluted time travel bullshit about Superboy's backstory. The Conner version of Superboy is hands down my favorite DC character and I really did not like how they were handling his Nu52 incarnation, and Superman's issues were pretty boring imo. I did enjoy Supergirl quite a bit though and always meant to catch back up with her, especially since I hear she joined the Red Lanterns or something. Mind giving me some non/lightly spoiled highlights of Supermans current/recent runs?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Esroc posted:

Mind giving me some non/lightly spoiled highlights of Supermans current/recent runs?

It's just been super solid under Greg Pak on Action Comics and Batman/Superman and Geoff Johns on Superman.
I like Pak's Action in particular. He turned Lana Lang into a complete badass.
e: and most importantly SMan has a beard over there now.
H'el and all that crud was revolving around Scott Lobdell's terrible Superman run and now he's out of the picture.

Try Action Comics from #25 or Superman from #32.

e: Red Supergirl was fun, but in 'Red Lanterns' rather than 'Supergirl'. The SG writer in that period put out some pretty dull comics.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 4, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Everyone should ignore Lobdell's Superman run.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Everyone should ignore all Lobdell Comics.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

goldenoreos posted:

Everyone should ignore all Lobdell Comics.

His 90s Generation X stuff was good.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Well, I legit didn't see those last pages coming.

And one of the high points of the new suit is those stupid armor boots are finally gone. And the general armor look all-around seems to be finally gone and looking more like a regular suit with some extra seams.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Has the Superman 86-99 Tumblr been posted here yet? "Maxwell Yezpitelok" :rolleyes: is revisiting the absolute very best fourteen years of Superman comics, and is up to 1991 so far.

This ought to be a link to put the tumblr in chronological order, if all his posts are actually tagged "superman".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mister Mind posted:

Has the Superman 86-99 Tumblr been posted here yet? "Maxwell Yezpitelok" :rolleyes: is revisiting the absolute very best fourteen years of Superman comics, and is up to 1991 so far.

This ought to be a link to put the tumblr in chronological order, if all his posts are actually tagged "superman".

1997-98 are pretty dire.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
...the absolute very best, uh, ten years?

edit: I'm willing to go lower!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mister Mind posted:

...the absolute very best, uh, ten years?

edit: I'm willing to go lower!

My favorite era is shortly after Byrne left right up to to the Death.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Since there's a Superman trade sale on Comixology, Red Son, For All Seasons, and Birthright are a shoo-in, and I already have Action Vol 1 and All-Star Superman, so what else should I get?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ohhh finally time to read Birthright.

Man of Steel is probably worth getting? May as well get Secret Origin while you're at it! (Don't get Secret Origin.)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Geoff Johns run on Action Comics. Especially the Legion arc.

I liked Secret Origin.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Action Comics #40 :swoon:

Charlotte of Oz
Feb 26, 2015

gay mer girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

Action Comics #40 :swoon:

I'm way behind on Action. What happened?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Charlotte of Oz posted:

I'm way behind on Action. What happened?

Superman falls into Bizzaro World and Aaron Kuder draws one heck of a Bizzaro World. All the context you need to know is that there was a recent storyline where Doomsday took over Superman's body. Now buy it.

e: And Superman's had a great beard for a while. That's very important.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 11, 2015

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Aaron Kuder awakened his inner Seth Fisher, amazing!

But I am still annoyed by the skin tone that colorist gives to Clark's face.

Charlotte of Oz
Feb 26, 2015

gay mer girl
So how do we all feel about the return of Casual Fridays Superman?

Personally, I like Casual Fridays Superman, though without the dorky element of a cape with a T-shirt it comes off as a smidge too serious.

I guess my biggest issue is that we just got a new costume for Superman, what, about a month ago? And that whole "the left hand is no longer on speaking terms with the right" has been my real issue at DC for a while now.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I like the general idea but I'm a little unsure about the buzz cut (and of course the copious amount of blood). He looks somehow less like Superman and more like a generic FPS video game protagonist.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's actually pizza sauce. Ma was never very good at teaching Clark to be neat in the kitchen.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Weird how he looks so much more like Superman than he has in years, but so much less at the same time. The physique is back on point, but yeah that hair and blood

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Unmature posted:

Weird how he looks so much more like Superman than he has in years, but so much less at the same time. The physique is back on point, but yeah that hair and blood

Aaron Kuder's Superman has looked every bit the physical hero for the last year.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just read the Batman/Superman annual, and I guess the ending could be the inciting incident leading to his new July status quo?
That'd be a weird thing to stick in the annual of the third most prominent Superman title.

A group of Batman villains have been brainwashed to attack Clark Kent while he's depowered after doing another solar flare. He manages to fight them off with Batman who's impressed that Clark could hold his own. Later, Clark is stabbed by a brainwashed civilian and the book cliffhangs. TUNE IN JULY WHEN EVERYTHING CHANGES!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 3, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't Batman/Superman the fourth tier title? Superman/WW got included in the Doomed thing, but S/B never 'matters', barring it being where they brought Supergirl back like 10 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't Batman/Superman the fourth tier title? Superman/WW got included in the Doomed thing, but S/B never 'matters', barring it being where they brought Supergirl back like 10 years ago.

The writer of it also writes Action Comics, so its not just a toss away title.

• Locked thread