Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Mo_Steel posted:

Stop loving up limericks you loving untalented HACK! :argh:

I didn't even realise the one before it was supposed to rhyme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zemyla posted:

I went to Radio Shack about a year ago and they still had LEDs and 555 timer chips and such. :confused: They were just in drawers in the back.

Dragging this up from a page ago, sorry.

Radio Shack did a last-ditch sudden shift from "we sell cell phones" back towards hobby electronics; started carrying Arduinos and kits and all the little IC's in the drawers like they used to in hopes that they could corner the small but steady hobbyist market they long ago abandoned.

It didn't work, obviously.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Payne's art is still good as hell

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Yeah, when Payne isn't drawing bumper stickers he can draw good. He has this classy "New Yorker" type of style.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yeah I kinda hate his art because he tends to waste it on stupid poo poo like yet another bumper sticker cartoon.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

When did Obama get trapped in the Phantom Zone?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Acropolis posted:

From forever ago, but I don't think anyone pointed out these little guys.

:3:

:ughh:

That's because they're bells on the jester's hat.

Someone was asking earlier who I was talking about when a mention was made of "a male Thatcher but without the charm" and I said "Mark". I was referring to Thatcher's son Mark, best known for his various misadventures in Africa.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Exclamation Marx posted:

I find his art is so obviously derivative of the New Yorker style that it's actually really lame. That plus the fact that he has such a limited palette of compositions that he keeps going back to.

I think he's a better mimic than an artist - all that early stuff was aping Oliphant and MAD, he's just grown into aping a different style now.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I think good artists producing bad art is an almost inevitable consequence of the daily comic format. It's hard to make inspiration strike every day like clockwork, so you see a lot of stale imagery and trite messages (I'm sure he's not the only cartoonist with a well-worn book of children's stories lying around). Even then though, you still have to draw the drat thing. People who don't spend a lot of time on creative endeavors (or at least never tried to get paid for them) often get offended when artist-types stop being as imaginative in their work, but jobs are jobs. No matter how excited you are when you first get hired, no matter how fulfilling your work generally is, there will be days where you just don't feel like doing it. You can push through that feeling, do your damnedest even though it makes you miserable, oooor you can half-rear end things a little. Get a few stock formats that you stick to so as to cut down on that messy "composition" phase, keep some stock characters/settings around so you don't have to try drawing something completely new every time. Simplify character designs, cut down on background details, tell the same sort of joke over and over. You can scoff and call this hackery, but everyone in the newspaper does it to some extent (including the journalists). It's always sad when talented young artists become formulaic yucksters, but anyone who can stay in that industry and still regularly produce good art, even if it's not as good as it would be if they had a week or month to work on it, deserves respect, not scorn.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Numero6 posted:

Shouldn't Harper be in red shorts or he turned québécois?

Blue is the colour of the Conservative Party up here and red is the colour of the Liberal Party, and Harper is super-duper partisan so he wouldn't be caught dead wearing something red even though that's the national colour. Even government websites have blue backgrounds now.

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

Jurgan posted:

The military is under the control of political leadership? Yes, that's generally considered rather important in a free society. Is Ramirez calling for a military dictatorship?

Don't forget who he writes for. He means that the military should be under the unfettered control of large multinational corporations.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

beepsandboops posted:

It seems like the American right won't be satisfied until Obama says the exact right words in the exact right sequence. It's like the whole "act of terror" thing during the Obama/Romney debates.

If they can trick him into saying it, a giant hole will open under his feet and drag him back to the land of fire and rivers of molten rock where he belongs: Hawaii! :unsmigghh:

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Mo_Steel posted:

Stop loving up limericks you loving untalented HACK! :argh:

Calm down, he's not loving up limericks he's just making lovely poems. Christ.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

WarpedNaba posted:

He's far-right. You tell me.

Sometimes the military should be under the lawful control of the duly elected civilian government. Other times the military should be free actors to uphold American values in spite of the usurpation of Muslim Kenyans.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

vyelkin posted:

Blue is the colour of the Conservative Party up here and red is the colour of the Liberal Party, and Harper is super-duper partisan so he wouldn't be caught dead wearing something red even though that's the national colour. Even government websites have blue backgrounds now.

Haha ok thanks. Harper is such a nutcase.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Jesus Payne what happened to you? :smith:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Exclamation Marx posted:

In addition to the giant-car-covered-in-bumper-stickers trope everyone else has brought up, he has a tendency to overrely on drawing snooty liberals with their ridiculous proboscis noses in the air and he is not very good at not making said noses look like dicks

The old cartoons were really good, though. It's almost a Rall-level regression in skill which is sad :smith:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cartoons!

:toot:

Also Bors' art-blog thing featured this long-form comic (not by Bors) about how vaccines work which I don't think has been posted here. Too long to be posted directly, but I thought you guys might appreciate it.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

loquacius posted:

Also Bors' art-blog thing featured this long-form comic (not by Bors) about how vaccines work which I don't think has been posted here. Too long to be posted directly, but I thought you guys might appreciate it.

I like both of them, and the molesty Mickey Mouse is avatar worthy.

In other news, be prepared for "Pope beating up children/liberals don't know how to raise children" cartoons after the Pope commended a man for not hitting his children in the face.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 10, 2015

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Rincewinds posted:

I like both of them, and the molesty Mickey Mouse is avatar worthy.

In other news, be prepared for "Pope beating up children/liberals don't know how to raise children" cartoons after the Pope commended a man for not hitting his children in the face.

That woman looks like the type that would cause a scene in a Starbucks because she didn't get just the right amount of soy in her latte.

I'm confused which side this comic is trying to disparage. One has a Mickey Mouse with crazy twitch eyes and some clearly unhappy kids. And on the other the dad is wearing a fanny pack.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gravel Gravy posted:

That woman looks like the type that would cause a scene in a Starbucks because she didn't get just the right amount of soy in her latte.

I'm confused which side this comic is trying to disparage. One has a Mickey Mouse with crazy twitch eyes and some clearly unhappy kids. And on the other the dad is wearing a fanny pack.

it's one panel out of a very long and very pro-vaccination comic if that helps :confused:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

JT Jag posted:

And all of them rhyme??? I don't know what the gently caress this is but it's not a limerick.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Calm down, he's not loving up limericks he's just making lovely poems. Christ.

The "so I'll sound dispassionate, wise and well read" section is what cocks it up, those two bits are supposed to rhyme with each other. Like so:

The limerick packs laughs anatomical
Into space that is quite economical.
--But the good ones I've seen
--So seldom are clean
And the clean ones so seldom are comical.

Or like this:

There once was a man with no clue,
of the terrible things that he drew.
His artwork was bad
The words made me mad
When I read them I yelled out "gently caress You!"

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 10, 2015

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
It's from this comic, in which Mickey (right as he may be about vaccination) is kind of a dickhead.

Lysdexique
Sep 12, 2010

Let me give you some advice, little buddy.

Rincewinds posted:

Terry Wise is going to be so conflicted.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

majormonotone posted:

Completely, unironically agree. Beyoncé 2016

:argh: KING OBAMA :argh: QUEEN BEY

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Man, any time there is any kind of problem with NBC News this thread's usual cast is ON THE CASE

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

The question mark, universal sign of "I can't think of anything actually happening to talk about so here is a scenario I created in my head".

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

A fairly decent caricature by Branco's standards.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Sorensen on gizmos

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mike Lester finally admits global warming is a serious issue. AGC.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

Cruel and Unusual posted:

I found something interesting.

Payne Stuff

I was just feeling a little bit better about Payne for being good on immigration and for once being an OK cartoonist but drat, the Princeton degree explains everything. Back to hating him again Go Quakers

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

The Arctic is overheating. A Good Cartoon.

Tuco
Jul 24, 2006

I look good too!

Internet Webguy posted:

Fox News blatant lies and conservative cheer leading are never the top story. AGC.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Everyone's jumping on it because it's finally a shred of evidence in their minds that the LIBERAL MEDIA is indeed full of lies.

Nope, Liberal Media Full of Lies, don't you remember that one thing with the one anchor? It's Fox News Only (well more so) for me from now on!

Fox News, biased? Come on, their slogan is Fair and Balanced!

gently caress

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Monkey Fracas posted:

Everyone's jumping on it because it's finally a shred of evidence in their minds that the LIBERAL MEDIA is indeed full of lies.

Nope, Liberal Media Full of Lies, don't you remember that one thing with the one anchor? It's Fox News Only (well more so) for me from now on!

Fox News, biased? Come on, their slogan is Fair and Balanced!

gently caress

While annoying in its smugness it doesn't change a whole lot. They've already drank the kool-aid and have gone up for the free refill.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Mo_Steel posted:

The "so I'll sound dispassionate, wise and well read" section is what cocks it up, those two bits are supposed to rhyme with each other. Like so:

The limerick packs laughs anatomical
Into space that is quite economical.
--But the good ones I've seen
--So seldom are clean
And the clean ones so seldom are comical.

Or like this:

There once was a man with no clue,
of the terrible things that he drew.
His artwork was bad
The words made me mad
When I read them I yelled out "gently caress You!"

There was a young woman from Slough
Who last year developed a cough.
She wasn't to know
It would last until now.
Let's hope the poor girl will pull through

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Gravel Gravy posted:

While annoying in its smugness it doesn't change a whole lot. They've already drank the kool-aid and have gone up for the free refill.

Yeah, yeah, I know- but christ. There's something so maddening about a weeks-long furious circlejerk over journalistic integrity when the people doing it are straight-up propagandists or liars.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Internet Webguy posted:

Has NBC news ever actually directly talked poo poo on Fox News, or is this just a persecution complex? Or does he assume that because the only news channel he watches hates on other news channels all the time, the others must hate back on Fox all the time too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

alnilam posted:

Has NBC news ever actually directly talked poo poo on Fox News, or is this just a persecution complex? Or does he assume that because the only news channel he watches hates on other news channels all the time, the others must hate back on Fox all the time too?

MSNBC

• Locked thread