Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Bhodi posted:

There was one of those flash crazes a few weeks ago on reddit where everyone dogpiled in to show off their uranium glass collections.
I have two plates and 4 marbles. I certainly feel inferior right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

My dad has an old military radio transmitter, with radium paint on the dials. That stuff glows in the dark nicely.

Back when they used that stuff, factory workers were told to lick the paintbrushes to get a smoother result. But not in their mouth.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Carbon dioxide posted:

My dad has an old military radio transmitter, with radium paint on the dials. That stuff glows in the dark nicely.

Back when they used that stuff, factory workers were told to lick the paintbrushes to get a smoother result. But not in their mouth.

Radium girls were mainly known for watches, and I never knew that they also did radio dials up to the 1960's. Thanks

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Already posted waayyy back in this thread, but radium water used to be a popular 'health tonic'.

Genesplicer has one of these jars and has posted pictures before.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I love everyday radioactivity, so I have one of these tritium marker lights on my keychain:

It'll glow for ~10 years, not bright enough to see with the lights on, but very striking in the dark. And it's got that fluorescent "nuclear" glow that we all love from movies and cartoons etc.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

I love everyday radioactivity, so I have one of these tritium marker lights on my keychain:

It'll glow for ~10 years, not bright enough to see with the lights on, but very striking in the dark. And it's got that fluorescent "nuclear" glow that we all love from movies and cartoons etc.

I have one too. This picture makes it look a hundred times as bright as it really is.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I've got one as a pendant hanging around my neck. It's not very bright at all, you can only tell it's glowing if the room you're in is pitch black. I can barely even see it through my shirt at night.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

:vince:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Carbon dioxide posted:

I have one too. This picture makes it look a hundred times as bright as it really is.

Yeah, it's a little misleading. But it's bright enough at night to be interesting.

:chanpop:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

My coffee scoop is made of uranium glass. I like my coffee hot.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Platystemon posted:

The correct PPE for hydrofluoric acid is grad students.

Bingo. I was that PPE. No, nothing smart was being done with HF or aqua reggia.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

:master:

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

KozmoNaut posted:

~suffused with an incandescent glow~
For some reason I always like to read this thread with Tom Lehrer playing.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I wish I could remember what the exact compound was-
This kind of viscous yellow sludge that was a compound of lead and some other thing. We were working with it in Honors Chemistry in high school, and our teacher put the fear of God into us by telling us that if it touched our skin we would get cancer.

In retrospect, given the setting, I think he was exaggerating.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

deadly_pudding posted:

This kind of viscous yellow sludge that was a compound of lead and some other thing. We were working with it in Honors Chemistry in high school, and our teacher put the fear of God into us by telling us that if it touched our skin we would get cancer.

Probably lead tetrachloride. You would have trouble ingesting enough to give you cancer.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

deadly_pudding posted:

On the other hand, I went on a date the other day with someone who works with hydrofluoric acid every day. She gave me a very thorough description of exactly what would happen if you were to spill it on your bare skin.

She also said that the first year or so, she would get this weird feeling afterwards, just knowing what she had worked with. "But after a while, it just becomes routine".

That was a weirdly cool date, let me tell you. I'm hoping for a second date, providing she hasn't killed herself yet.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Probably lead tetrachloride. You would have trouble ingesting enough to give you cancer.

Of course when it reacts with water to make Hydrochloric Acid and Lead Oxide you won't be having much fun.

Not enough to have insta-cancer, but enough to make you mad at yourself that you did that.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

deadly_pudding posted:

Could have been lead iodide as well. Which is one of my favorite basic chemistry magic tricks, pour a clear liquid (potassium iodide, aqueous) into a clear liquid (lead nitrate, aqueous) and a giant cloud of bright yellow insoluble lead iodide forms and sinks to the bottom.

Or any number of other lead salts and many cadmium salts as well, IIRC.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

kastein posted:

Could have been lead iodide as well. Which is one of my favorite basic chemistry magic tricks, pour a clear liquid (potassium iodide, aqueous) into a clear liquid (lead nitrate, aqueous) and a giant cloud of bright yellow insoluble lead iodide forms and sinks to the bottom.

Yeah, it sucks that lead is so toxic because it's great for so many things otherwise. It makes lots of cool compounds of multiple colors and crystal shapes, and they're so heavy that you can do good gravimetric analysis on a cheap mechanical balance.

Same goes for mercury, actually. Safe elements are boring or expensive. :(

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Posted by a friend on facebook:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TerminalSaint posted:

"But it said 'BEER'! "

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

kastein posted:

Yeah, lead iodide is the more likely of those two. I recall doing that general experiment. That class was like 50% magic tricks and 50% "For god's sake don't touch the crucible while it's glowing."

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
Kids, if your job involves handling boiling aqua regia, don't use latex gloves as "sufficient" protection. :stare:
Had to explain this to a coworker today. We agreed to order some actual gloves.

Default Settings has a new favorite as of 14:25 on Feb 6, 2015

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
That lead salt trick is a classic experiment in stoichiometry, too, since it's lead(II) and an alkali.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TerminalSaint posted:

PerrineClostermann posted:

"But it said 'BEER'! "

It's missing some punctuation. It actually reads

15 CHEM?
NO, BEER
IN HERE!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Say Nothing posted:

It's missing some punctuation. It actually reads

15 CHEM?
NO, BEER
IN HERE!

Whoops, and this IUPAC logo isn't supposed to be here either.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Our Grandparents had such fun toys.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Say Nothing posted:

Our Grandparents had such fun toys.

Still pretty tame. Everything in the kit is still readily available, and in no way dangerous.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

7thBatallion posted:

Still pretty tame. Everything in the kit is still readily available, and in no way dangerous.

I bet it would hurt if I smashed it over your head :colbert:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Cross post from space flight thread:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

I was trying to think of exotic oxidizers to increase chemical rocket ISP:ssh::350::ssh:. Now I've never heard of Di-Oxy Chlorine Trifluoride, but I've played with Chlorine Dioxide, and CTF certainly exists as something that can be synthesized.. Why can't these two things make an even more energetic chemical oxidizer?

I'm thinking a chlorine in the middle, 3 single bonded fluorine atoms and two double bonded oxygens on opposite sides of said Chlorine molecule.

Is this even possible? How much more powerful of an oxidizer would this be to "vanilla" FOOF or CTF or plain LOx? It seems like it would have a pretty high boiling point, though gently caress if I know what you could store it in. Teflon? Does the Chlorine atom decrease ISP compared to an oxidizer composed strictly of fluorine and oxygen? Because this is the only way I can think that you could possibly put 3 fluorine atoms and 2 oxygen atoms in one molecule and keep the central atom holding those buggers as an oxidizer capable of adding to the reaction appreciably, as well.

I mean if this chemical exists it's gotta be the most hellish oxidizer in existence, right? There's not a single atom in it that won't vigorously oxidize just about anything used as rocket fuel. Any organic molecule would be put through fluorination, oxidation, and chlorination, at once, extremely energetically I assume, if burned with this stuff.

Is this sorta thing even possible or is it completely beyond the realm of possible?

I want to believe. :ohdear:

I'll take A-21, by the way. Again I'm taking A-21

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I wouldn't be surprised if that stuff just explodes on itself, forming FOOF and chlorine for one nanosecond before it explosively decomposes further into F2, O2, and Cl2.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
Even if that molecule has been figured out it's likely it's not economically feasible as compared to the other listed oxidizers he suggested. Id imagine the biggest problem with the molecule he described is the storage conditions.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Combustion engineering is the study of writing down all possible combinations of elements present in the reactants and pretending to have discovered 80 intermediate reactions between C + O2 --> CO2.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Wait, so F3-O-Cl-O-F3, or all the Fs and Os bonded directly to the Cl?

Betting the latter isn't possible due to bond stress, and the former doesn't make sense due to bond count, you can't put 3 fluorines on an oxygen.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

kastein posted:

Betting the latter isn't possible due to bond stress, and the former doesn't make sense due to bond count, you can't put 3 fluorines on an oxygen.

Normally you can only do 1 bond to Cl, but that didn't stop anyone from making ClF3 :v: I wonder if you could do some shenanigans with O3 to make it amenable to accepting a ClF3 molecule?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

kastein posted:

F3ClO2. The fluorines in equatorial sites, oxygens in axial sites for overal trigonal bipyramidal geometry.

It's a known compound, but not very stable and primarily useful as an exercise in drawing Lewis structures.

It doesn't seem to occur to some people that there may be practical reasons for not storing thousands of gallons of highly toxic ferocious oxidizers in one place. It's not really worth the slight increase in Isp if a tiny leak makes your entire launch facility go up in flames, along with all the people in it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

And this is where it becomes obvious that I dabble in chemistry and Deteriorata does not :v:

It's been way too long since I looked at structures and I forgot chlorine could do that. Thanks.

(good to know it's about as stable as I would expect, though)

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Deteriorata posted:

F3ClO2. The fluorines in equatorial sites, oxygens in axial sites for overal trigonal bipyramidal geometry.

It's a known compound, but not very stable and primarily useful as an exercise in drawing Lewis structures.

It doesn't seem to occur to some people that there may be practical reasons for not storing thousands of gallons of highly toxic ferocious oxidizers in one place. It's not really worth the slight increase in Isp if a tiny leak makes your entire launch facility go up in flames, along with all the people in it.

Would Fl3ClO2 burn a substance such as C4N2 hotter than pure O2?

Because right know we can burn Carbon Subnitride in pure O2 at around ~5000 C... I wonder if CTF or FOOF or Fl3ClO2 burn Carbon Subnitride even hotter than that?

Also that seems like it'd be the most horrific green house gas "event" in mankinds history if you fired a rocket engine in atmosphere that burned Fl3ClO2 with C4N2.

A flame so hot it melts tungsten, and smoke that's the most potent greenhouse gasses in existence and toxic and carcinogenic as all gently caress.

That'd be some crazy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

kastein posted:

And this is where it becomes obvious that I dabble in chemistry and Deteriorata does not :v:

It's been way too long since I looked at structures and I forgot chlorine could do that. Thanks.

(good to know it's about as stable as I would expect, though)

Chemistry is really very simple. It works like this:

1) Tell chemists they can't possibly synthesize some structure.
2) A chemist will find a way to make it. The crazier the compound sounds, the harder they will try.