Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Broken Loose posted:

The lower legs are entirely new from the knees until you reach the ankles. There's probably a fraction of a size change in there.

wanna build that burning

It loses some relatively serious height in the calf section, and it's chest looks a bit compressed too. Tasteful clear parts are good and fun though. No reason to think it doesn't have the same hyperposability the BB had right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
My concubine pointed out the new TBG has a bigger crotch than the BB. Other than that it makes sense that it's shorter, Yuuma having disposed of some of the armored bits. It's gonna be fun sharpening those flame effect bits and adding a custom paintjob; zenithal lighting anyone?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
You know, it never fails to weird me out how hyped we all are for a stoic, overpowered guy called Tatsuya to get more screentime.

What I'm saying is that Mahouka should have starred Yuuki instead as he attempts to redeem that ultranationalist Randian hellhole of a series through the power of little plastic robots.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Meijin is many things, but stoic is not one of them.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
The Meijin is a giant nerd who is living his childhood dream of being a better Char than Char.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gearhead posted:

The Meijin is a giant nerd who is living his childhood dream of being a better Char than Char.

Not hard. Even Char's own clone was a better Char than Char - though not, to be clear, a better character.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

tsob posted:

Not hard. Even Char's own clone was a better Char than Char - though not, to be clear, a better character.

Harry is still the best Char though. Meijin realizes that there's more to being A CHAR than just being Char, he looks to other Chars for inspiration. By going beyond the Char, he has become a better Char.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

tsob posted:

Lol which fuckin one

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

StrifeHira posted:

Harry is still the best Char though. Meijin realizes that there's more to being A CHAR than just being Char, he looks to other Chars for inspiration. By going beyond the Char, he has become a better Char.

Harry's a Quattro, not a Char though.

The Muffinlord posted:

Lol which fuckin one

His actual literal clone, Full Frontal. Frontal is a better commander and statesman than Char, at least partially, if not wholly because he actually committed to the role instead of just posing as one so he could get his petty revenge while always planning to run away once he'd got that. Though Graham Aker and several figurative clones are probably better in that regard too.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Umm excuse me Full Frontal is actually a genetically modified cyber newtype with Char's memories imprinted on him, get your facts straight NERD

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
He's had his body and mind modified so everyone perceives him to be Char, it's close enough that the word still applies in my book.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Graham was also a decent commander, he just had the unfortunate side effect of having to fight stuff about 30 years ahead of his squad's mobile suits. Then... well he just gave up on the whole "squad" thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TARDISman posted:

Graham was also a decent commander, he just had the unfortunate side effect of having to fight stuff about 30 years ahead of his squad's mobile suits. Then... well he just gave up on the whole "squad" thing.

When you're trying to court a Gundam, the last thing you need is competition :wiggle:.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Full Frontal was awful, scrub straight up ghosted after he couldn't beat Banagher loving Links in a fight

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Swagger Dagger posted:

Full Frontal was awful, scrub straight up ghosted after he couldn't beat Banagher loving Links in a fight

He did beat Banagher though. He ghosted because Banagher didn't give in to nihilism the same way he (and by associated Char) did when following his train of thought regarding time and humanity. Also, because Lalah urged him to. More importantly though, he had an actual long term strategy to achieve his goal of Spacenoid independence, which he was willing to see out to the long term if possible that he had shared with his subordinates in the case of his demise and not just a short term tactic to cause a cataclysm and basically hope it all worked out afterwards because he had no intention of being there regardless like Char. Frontal was also less obsessed with his opponent and kept his mind on the greater objective more during battles he participated in as a pilot than Char tended to.

Admittedly, a good deal of the reason he beat Banagher was that he was using a mobile armor that essentially made it a non-issue by magically removing most of his weapons from the equation and then pummeling him in a unit about 5 times the size of his opponents, where Banagher had been doing a good job catching up in previous encounters using more equal (physically speaking) machines - but he did beat him regardless.

tsob fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 10, 2015

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Swagger Dagger posted:

"Humanity," repeated Frontal, "has a history of war. Even before the existence of Newtypes, even before the Universal Century, mankind has constantly waged bloody battles to solidify himself in a position of power over..."
"Sorry," said Banagher again, "the existence of what?"
"Before the existence of Newtypes, even before the Universal Century, mankind has..."
"Which Century was that? I didn't quite catch it."
"Universal, before which mankind..."
"Uni what?"
"Oh, for heaven's sake," said Frontal, and died testily.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I like to imagine Full Frontal suddenly realized he was in a bad show and decided to leave.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TARDISman posted:

He didn't give up on the squad thing, his squad all died on him and formed basically the entire basis of his descent into pseudo-insanity. The Masurao's swords were named "Howard" and "Daryl" in memory of his old buddies(though the Susanoo's swords dropped that nomenclature and were called Shiranui and Unryu).

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
If we're going to go on about Char Clones that were better than Char, it's hard to go wrong with the original Char Clone: Afranche Char.

Hero of the story.

Married.

Piloted a Gundam.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

There was a character named Full Frontal? :psyduck:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Gearhead posted:

If we're going to go on about Char Clones that were better than Char, it's hard to go wrong with the original Char Clone: Afranche Char.

Hero of the story.

Married.

Piloted a Gundam.

I post this song at the slightest provocation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP3TqH0iEc0

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Stupid names are a time-honoured tradition of the franchise.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Galaga Galaxian posted:

To be fair, his name DOES get called out as a blatant alias in story, as I recall.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Does Chronicle Asher count as a char, I mean he had the whole ski mask thing like Nikki Lauda.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ka0 posted:

Does Chronicle Asher count as a char, I mean he had the whole ski mask thing like Nikki Lauda.

You have to be at least moderately interesting to be a Char.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Was Gundam Age's Char moderately interesting

Genuine question

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

Was Gundam Age's Char moderately interesting

Genuine question

No. No, not really.

The most interesting thing about him is that his rival wasn't a Newtype so the plot basically became "what if a regular guy had to fight Char?" instead, but even that was poorly utilized. His actual characterization and plot was so batshit stupid even the voice actor commented on how it made no sense.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I guess it was kind of interesting how he literally had a psychotic breakdown near the end?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It refers to his preferred method of attack.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Hell, according to official romanization, there was also a Quattro Vagina. This is why the Japanese should never be allowed to romanize their own poo poo ever.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ImpAtom posted:

No. No, not really.

The most interesting thing about him is that his rival wasn't a Newtype so the plot basically became "what if a regular guy had to fight Char?" instead, but even that was poorly utilized. His actual characterization and plot was so batshit stupid even the voice actor commented on how it made no sense.

Asemu, let us use the colony destroyers to save the day.

Hold up dude did you just say "colony destroyer" that is hosed up

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I like to imagine Full Frontal suddenly realized he was in a bad show and decided to leave.

He got a better offer from the Side 3 NFL team, the Zum City Zakus. Dude looks stacked like a linebacker.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ImpAtom posted:

No. No, not really.

Zeheart managed mostly consistent characterization for an arc, which is quite a feat for AGE. Then he went stupid.

"Hey Obviously evil social darwinist dude, is it true what my frienemy told me that you deliberately caused this war in some hair-brained survival of the fittest scheme to kill people by the billion?"

"No I'm not, and to prove you can have our new Gundam and I'm promoting you to become my general to continue this war I started to kill people by the billions in a hair-brained survival of the fittest scheme!"

"Okay! I trust you"

"Now I'm going to go off and die surrounded by family and loved ones content with killing billions"

Then Zeheart abandoned his principles to try and kill the main characters, failed, had a nervous breakdown and attacked them, and got killed in a two minute fight scene.
Honestly his death makes a little sense in context but it's still really lame.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

Zeheart managed mostly consistent characterization for an arc, which is quite a feat for AGE. Then he went stupid.

"Hey Obviously evil social darwinist dude, is it true what my frienemy told me that you deliberately caused this war in some hair-brained survival of the fittest scheme to kill people by the billion?"

"No I'm not, and to prove you can have our new Gundam and I'm promoting you to become my general to continue this war I started to kill people by the billions in a hair-brained survival of the fittest scheme!"

"Okay! I trust you"

"Now I'm going to go off and die surrounded by family and loved ones content with killing billions"

Then Zeheart abandoned his principles to try and kill the main characters, failed, had a nervous breakdown and attacked them, and got killed in a two minute fight scene.
Honestly his death makes a little sense in context but it's still really lame.

Yeah, the thing about Zeheart is that if his plot went "he becomes the good guy Vagan" then it instantly makes his plot make sense and humanizes the character. It is generic but understandable and it makes the final arc more sensible because then the Clone Super Soldier steps up and of course the Clone Super Soldier is a psychopath moron.

Instead they went in the exact opposite direction of all sense.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

AGE is basically the perfect example of why trying to tell a unique story is not necessarily a good thing.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

AGE is basically the perfect example of why trying to tell a unique story is not necessarily a good thing.

So is trying to rehash a story. It all comes down to the execution, where AGE is a long, wet fart.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

And the obligatory Gundam X note: the Char was a Pretty Cool Guy, but he didn't do all that much beyond being a reasonable, well-adjusted individual.

Also surviving a battleship blowing up through a plothole.

EDIT: The funnier part was the Amuro, who went full Quattro, right down to running away from all of his responsibilities and ignoring the woman who obviously had a crush on him.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 10, 2015

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Gundam X char? Jamil??

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Ka0 posted:

Gundam X char? Jamil??

The Gundam X Char is Lancerow Darwell.

Jamill is indeed the Amuro of the original war, only carrying 3 times as much emotional baggage from it (after all, he failed) and actual brain damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Omnicrom posted:

Then Zeheart abandoned his principles to try and kill the main characters, failed, had a nervous breakdown and attacked them, and got killed in a two minute fight scene. Honestly his death makes a little sense in context but it's still really lame.

Zeheart was a pretty bad Char, but he was a half-decent Black Knight.

• Locked thread