Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I went 5 or 6 missions before actually completing one, and my whole roster is level 0-1. I upgraded my coach so I get 4 newbies every week, so I'm not worried about running out of fresh flesh. I noticed most of the available missions are level one now that I've completed two. Does the game stop giving you low level missions at some point? Should I just keep pushing on into the darkness, or is an early restart worth doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyc_Tattoo
Feb 28, 2001

Tread Carefully,
lest thou rouse the
Coupons Dragon
Grimey Drawer

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

I went 5 or 6 missions before actually completing one, and my whole roster is level 0-1. I upgraded my coach so I get 4 newbies every week, so I'm not worried about running out of fresh flesh. I noticed most of the available missions are level one now that I've completed two. Does the game stop giving you low level missions at some point? Should I just keep pushing on into the darkness, or is an early restart worth doing?

One person in this thread reported that they have a screen with no level 1 missions available, but it doesn't seems to have happened to anyone else. So you should almost always have a low level one available.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nyc_Tattoo posted:

One person in this thread that they have a screen with no level 1 missions available, but it doesn't seems to have happened to anyone else. So you should almost always have a low level one available.

I got one other comment on my Guide saying it had happened to them, so that's two independent reports. I'm not sure if it's a bug or by design though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I got one other comment on my Guide saying it had happened to them, so that's two independent reports. I'm not sure if it's a bug or by design though.

I am almost positive that the devs have stated that there is always supposed to be at least one level 1 mission available at all times, but my hypothesis is that they are coming up in one of the two areas that aren't unlocked yet (so, a bug).

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Cool, thanks guys. I'll keep stumbling around then.

The guide said it's easier to throw away heroes that get 3 afflictions when they are low level, so should I just fire anyone that hits three? Are there things you would say make it worthwhile to stick with a character who has started losing it?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Running around trying level 0 no light runs, I've discovered Hellions and YAWP. Is it really as awesome as I think it is? Keeping the front two enemies Stunlocked is a godsend for healing up the party and just general survivability. My suicide squad of Vestal>PlagueDoc>Hellion>Hellion kept the enemies completely locked down (Stun Grenades + YAWP) and they've been surviving better than I thought they would, minus a few afflictions.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

The guide said it's easier to throw away heroes that get 3 afflictions when they are low level, so should I just fire anyone that hits three? Are there things you would say make it worthwhile to stick with a character who has started losing it?

I got a leper with the +5acc quirk so you can bet I'm spending money on that homeboy. Otherwise it just depends on what bad traits they have. I tend to toss anyone with negative traits to important stats quick unless they have something really nice on the other side.

How long does the yawp debuff last?

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Running around trying level 0 no light runs, I've discovered Hellions and YAWP. Is it really as awesome as I think it is? Keeping the front two enemies Stunlocked is a godsend for healing up the party and just general survivability. My suicide squad of Vestal>PlagueDoc>Hellion>Hellion kept the enemies completely locked down (Stun Grenades + YAWP) and they've been surviving better than I thought they would, minus a few afflictions.

YAWP is definitely good. The debuff kind of stings but it has a higher stun rate in exchange.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

It depends upon which afflictions. Some are awful, some aren't that bad. A guy who refuses to do anything but drink isn't really an issue if you've been focusing on upgrading your bar. But somebody who refuses to do anything but drink or pray is a problem. People with really big penalties to combat stats are a problem too.

The bigger deal with early on and churning the meat grinder is that it costs you more to lower the stress of level 0 heroes than they're worth.

Its easier to fire somebody and hire a fresh-faced recruit who doesn't yet know the horrors in store for him than it is to pay ~1,000g and wait a week to use that level 0 hero again.

Eventually though you're going to want some high level heroes. So anybody who is performing well, if you can afford to de-stress them, do so and level them up further. If you're broke though or if its a character you don't particularly care about, ditch them and hire a new one.

Hth.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Darth Windu posted:

I got a leper with the +5acc quirk so you can bet I'm spending money on that homeboy. Otherwise it just depends on what bad traits they have. I tend to toss anyone with negative traits to important stats quick unless they have something really nice on the other side.

How long does the yawp debuff last?

My favorite character right now is a Leper with Fated and Slugger. This post is his death warrant, isn't it?

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Sometimes negative quirks aren't really that impactful, and he/she may have some very good positive ones.
-stats are usually not worth dealing with early on. Later on, the traits that force people to always check certain types of dungeon items can be detrimental so I'd get rid of them on characters I want to keep.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Is it really as awesome as I think it is? Keeping the front two enemies Stunlocked is a godsend for healing up the party and just general survivability.

Honestly, I prefer nuking down the back rows as fast as possible. The back rows generally have the stress inducers, or people that can pull / mess up your order which are both more harmful overall than just front row damage dealers. Fortunately, the hellion can do this superbly as well!
With this prioritization, and if you take classes that can actually do this (crusader/holy lance, grave robber lunge/fade, hellion bleed/iron swan, etc), its often possible to take a bunch of newbies into an apprentice dungeon without much/any stress. Especially once you know which dungeon items to generally avoid, and which ones can reliably give you stress reduction.

I guess you could also just run a 3 hellion team and do both of the murder the back row and stun the front row strats at the same time. Yeah...hellions are kind of good.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

It happened to me once, but I was avoiding level 3 missions fiercely to upgrade my eight veteran heroes.

I keep all the dudes even with seven negative quirks ; those are great for checking the objects when you don't have the required inventory item.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I wonder if the Devs considered Tactics Ogre style job advancement trees.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

euphronius posted:

Tactics Ogre was job switching, Ogre Battle was the straight advancement trees :colbert:

anatolehp
Jun 5, 2013

It happened to me on two separate occasions. I wish they could implement something like what was suggested in this thread, pay gold or heirlooms to build roads to the dungeons so that more quest choices are available.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Fhqwhgads posted:

Wrote up a bunch of stuff, but I'm going to rephrase it all! Low light runs are all about blowing up the other side super fast with crits, while trying to give them the least number of attacks possible. So any turn you're not attacking with a big damage ability needs to have a really good reason not to. If you're set on that party, look at trying to kill their 3rd+4th row guys in the first turn, all your party can attack their back. Noxious blast, if it bleeds, iron swan, and judgement all target one of the two back slots. Spend the second turn mopping up slot 2+3, then toss a heal when you're down to 1 enemy, but don't play the waiting game to try to stun him, just murder his face off as your hellions come up.

I think multi-attacks and heals are the biggest two traps for new players. Especially early on, it is better to let your guys not sit at 100% health, and its better to do less damage overall but completely kill an enemy. Not to say that both aren't good, but they tend to get used at the wrong time and for the wrong reasons a lot. Your healer should have some sort of attack/disable/move ability that is way better to use in round 1 and/or 2, because it'll prevent way more stress/damage than the heal is able to heal. Multi-attacks shine when you've got a pile of crit and damage, or can reliably finish off a wounded monster.

I've found that bounty hunter is my favorite guy for the 3-bandit fights. Throw him some +spd poo poo(mine has quickdraw), and his first turn flashbang the ranged bandit. If you're really lucky, he gets pushed to the front and stunned, but as long as he switches places with the other small guy you're good. The dagger bandit can't attack from rank4, so he will auto-pass, if the ranged guy is in front all he has is a weak single target attack. Fight goes from making GBS threads damage all over you to being not a problem at all.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My favorite character right now is a Leper with Fated and Slugger. This post is his death warrant, isn't it?

I got a crusader who, after camp buffs, has about +50% to melee attacks. My best Leper, even with his max damage reduced by the currently bugged berserk mask, does more damage with the low end of his weakest attacks than most things have hit points in the first place, and he's picked up Fated and other accuracy boost quirks and has the camp buff that gives even more, so missing is rarely a serious issue.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I like how absurd buff stacking is, I usually target all my buffs on my Hellion when camping, so she is always running around with +20 crit and +20 accuracy, but during a long warrens mission I ran into 3 early eldritch idols and each gives 15% crit, so she had +65 crit, in addition to the 20 or so % chance she gets normally for the entire long mission.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I forgot to take any torches on a large dungeon, had a good time actually. Had more treasure that I could carry before the first camp. I'd love some upgradable wagon or trinket or anything to boost carry capacity.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

euphronius posted:

Darkest Dungeon with Final Fantasy Tactics jobs would be the end of me.

I'd spend a week leveling the right classes so that a guy could master blade grasp and two swords and poo poo like that, only to have him die. :negative:

It was nice knowing you, Leper friend :ohdear:

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Good to know about the quirk stuff. I hope this game does well, as I loved tactics: advance and war of the lions, which this has similar vibes to. Much more difficult than those, but that makes it interesting.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Since my first camp with an occultist I can only see his skull candle has a bong.

:350:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

cugel posted:

Since my first camp with an occultist I can only see his skull candle has a bong.

Hahaha that's amazing :allears:

You guys want a hit of this cthulu weed? No? Your loss.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Entire Party Stress -10
One companion Stress +40

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Toplowtech posted:

Yeah, the dialogues when a character breaks down is generally good. Nothing beats the crusader starting to babble about how it's all his dad's fault and how the monsters should stop attacking the guy behind him because "he is just a child!".

Dialogues are good the first few times, but become repetitive quickly.

It's like being forced to stop and read the same joke over and over.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Unless otherwise noted (e.g. 'until next camp') do all camp buffs last the remainder of a delve?

On an aside, it feels like level 3+ Ruins is tougher than level +3 Weald by a noticeable margin.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Tollymain posted:

this game may have been a poor choice for you

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it the first times, but gradually over time I just have wanted to play the game and skip past it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

GaistHeidegger posted:

Unless otherwise noted (e.g. 'until next camp') do all camp buffs last the remainder of a delve?

On an aside, it feels like level 3+ Ruins is tougher than level +3 Weald by a noticeable margin.

I generally have a harder time in Ruins regardless of level. Pretty much every battle has a Bone Courtier, and they spam Tempting Goblet and cause stress levels to go through the roof.

(Cultist spellcasters in other dungeons have stressful incantation that does the same thing, but that ability is shared with Eldritch Push/Pull, which they seem to favor.)

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

cugel posted:

The Dankest Dungeon.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I think Ruins are balanced on the presumption that you're bringing crusaders and vestals with bonuses to unholy damage.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Also the one place plague doctor has legit value is in the Ruins, where everything has abysmal stun/blight resist. Put some +stun chance on her and you should be able to keep courtiers, arbalests, and spears under lock.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Darkest Dungeon with Final Fantasy Tactics jobs would be the end of me.

I'd spend a week leveling the right classes so that a guy could master blade grasp and two swords and poo poo like that, only to have him die. :negative:

I'm sure there's a mod for FFT somewhere, where your characters don't get 3 turns being unconcious.

Just imagine, 1 shot and immediate crystal...

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

The main bulwark of my ruins party are 2 crusaders with some +prot trinkets in the first two slots. One of them happens to have a -speed trait, and that combined with a little trinket setup on my part tends to ensure that one of them always goes before the other. They both have holy lance, which means that in general they'll kill both 3+4 slot in the first round, or at least one of them. My vestral spends almost all her time just casting judgement on poo poo, and the last slot can be whatever you like.

E:Just had a thought, how impactful would some trinkets for someone like plague doc be if the +blight chance one also had a +1 dmg/round thing as well? With some trinkets setup like that for various classes it would give you more ways to setup builds for your guys.

Also, dark bracers for a dark party are super OP.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 10, 2015

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Dackel posted:

Just imagine, 1 shot and immediate crystal...

That said, if dead adventurers in this game turned into a soul gem or something that you could take with you, which carried some random subset of their positive or negative traits, that would be pretty neat.
Maybe to use it you'd have to take it with you into a dungeon, and use it on a specific kind of altar.
A darker version of this would be if the soul was only captured if you had that hero wear a specific trinket to capture it. So maybe a guy is too far to save, but has a nice quirk you want so you slap this gem on him and send him off to his death.

Probably unnecessary since most traits are relatively minor, and ephemeral anyways as they get phased out for new ones randomly.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Like, you lose a leper, and you can take his mask home as a trinket that has qualities based on the quirks of the leper? That would be neat.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

paranoid randroid posted:

I really hope there's an achievement for killing Wilbur first. Maybe called "That Was a Mistake".

SOME PIG

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
That'll do, pig.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Cephalocidal posted:

The Dankest Dungeon.

That's been the name of my estate since day one :haw:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I gotta say my favorite character so far is the Highwayman. He just fits the tone of the game so well, and the whole shortsword and pistol thing is pretty badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Night10194 posted:

I gotta say my favorite character so far is the Highwayman. He just fits the tone of the game so well, and the whole shortsword and pistol thing is pretty badass.
I've been experimenting with running two of these with Point Blank and Duelists Advance, then a Grave Robber or two with Shadow Fade. It's a really fun way to play, combat feels more exciting and you don't have to worry about party order.

Then they all died. Replacements haven't rolled in yet.