Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

emoji posted:

you just come off as smug. what you typed doesn't seem to be racist on the part of the old guy, who is probably just friendly and a little dumb. somehow i doubt he was singling you out on the basis of your race as if he had never seen your skin color before, in southern california, where every ethnicity on the planet is represented
Wow. So True.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
Can you tell us some more things that aren't racist?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

emoji posted:

you just come off as smug. what you typed doesn't seem to be racist on the part of the old guy, who is probably just friendly and a little dumb. somehow i doubt he was singling you out on the basis of your race as if he had never seen your skin color before, in southern california, where every ethnicity on the planet is represented

hosed up if dutrieux

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Wulfolme posted:

"Don't judge me"

"I'm not racist, but"

yes hello I get five tickets a month plus the occasional ticket for running red lights, i ding and dent my car constantly and then stress out about it for four hours each time, i take my car to a car wash every two weeks because i can't use it to display my fabulous wealth (with no down payment, but don't tell the poors that) if it isn't constantly shining at all times, and i use 80 gallons of gas a month. now let me tell you how amazing it is to have someone else drive me around in their car instead

emoji posted:

asking the second time is pretty fuckin rude. they're asking a question and then flat-out refusing to believe the answer and accusing the person of lying

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Thesoro posted:

Can you tell us some more things that aren't racist?

Yea. Asking people where they're from. Most people are happy to talk about it and it's one of the first things people talk about. It's weird to go up to a total stranger and ask them where they are from. Weird, and probably not driven by malice. I know everyone ITT does mental gymnastics to find offense in every possible interaction, though.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

lol. slightly better than talking about Pittsburgh.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
real talk tho if your boss said "you're fired, I'm replacing you with a third worlder being paid 20% your salary who thinks making GBS threads into water that he won't have to drink eventually is the height of luxury, you will train this person for the next 30 days after which point gently caress you"

and you do the only reasonable thing, which is to look him in the eyes, flip the bird and leave immediately

then what the gently caress are they going to do

oh no the oval office stealing my livelihood might not give me a good reference!! :ohdear:

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

emoji posted:

Yea. Asking people where they're from. Most people are happy to talk about it and it's one of the first things people talk about. It's weird to go up to a total stranger and ask them where they are from. Weird, and probably not driven by malice. I know everyone ITT does mental gymnastics to find offense in every possible interaction, though.
lmao

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Mr Dog posted:

real talk tho if your boss said "you're fired, I'm replacing you with a third worlder being paid 20% your salary who thinks making GBS threads into water that he won't have to drink eventually is the height of luxury, you will train this person for the next 30 days after which point gently caress you"

and you do the only reasonable thing, which is to look him in the eyes, flip the bird and leave immediately

oh no the oval office stealing my livelihood might not give me a good reference!! :ohdear:

The smart thing to do is say "yes sir" and just spend that 2 weeks/months or whatever looking for a job. Don't actually train him or anything, but you might as well get paid, gently caress that guy and gently caress the company.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Mr Dog posted:

i thought for legal reasons all anyone could do anymore was job title, length of stay, eligible for rehire

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Luigi Thirty posted:

i thought for legal reasons all anyone could do anymore was job title, length of stay, eligible for rehire
that's all most companies USUALLY do, to avoid liability, but you can say whatever the gently caress you want as long as it's not slander

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Plus saying "gently caress you" probably means "eligible for rehire" is a "no" vs a "yes".

Just do the passive aggressive thing. Almost every situation in an office environment is best handled passive aggressively.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Mr Dog posted:

why you need 'gently caress you' money . txt

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mr Dog posted:

they will say you quit or fire you with cause meaning you won't be eligible for unemployment.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

lol no, the law gives no shits what your previous employer says to a prospective employer, unless someone can prove that they're intentionally lying about verifiable facts to the point of being considered slander.

hr departments are usually scared to death of potential lawsuits, though, even baseless ones, so a lot of them adopt that policy to minimize liability by not letting anyone say anything subjective at all

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

ADINSX posted:

The smart thing to do is say "yes sir" and just spend that 2 weeks/months or whatever looking for a job. Don't actually train him or anything, but you might as well get paid, gently caress that guy and gently caress the company.

with luck, the poor training will mean the replacement team will be so awful, you'll get rehired to check their work

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shifty Pony posted:

they will say you quit or fire you with cause meaning you won't be eligible for unemployment.

i would still apply for unemployment

quitting because your boss does something unconscionable is often the same as being fired without cause, if you're willing to fight it out

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i would still apply for unemployment

quitting because your boss does something unconscionable is often the same as being fired without cause, if you're willing to fight it out

uh if they are willing to fight it out don't they usually win those appeals

at will gently caress you

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

asking the second time is pretty fuckin rude. they're asking a question and then flat-out refusing to believe the answer and accusing the person of lying

Ok, I will agree that it's ill-mannered to ask the second time for someone who responds with perfect diction in whatever locale. However, if someone is really from another country and claims to be from Toronto with a slight accent, as in the example given earlier, they're full of poo poo. I also don't subscribe to the melting pot. Everyone is from somewhere not here. I can count 5 ethnicities in my own blood.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Enderzero posted:

yeah they will.

even in cases where they are clearly in the wrong many business pay third party companies to contest and draw out every unemployment claim to get people to give up on collecting unemployment just by making it a giant pain in the rear end. like landlords that take every deposit knowing that 9 out of 10 won't fight it and that more than covers the loss when someone does.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

emoji posted:

Ok, I will agree that it's ill-mannered to ask the second time for someone who responds with perfect diction in whatever locale. However, if someone is really from another country and claims to be from Toronto with a slight accent, as in the example given earlier, they're full of poo poo. I also don't subscribe to the melting pot. Everyone is from somewhere not here. I can count 5 ethnicities in my own blood.

gently caress you

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Enderzero posted:

employee usually wins, actually. employers can fire you for any reason, but you're eligible for unemployment unless you're fired for one of a few "valid" reasons like poor performance or committing crimes. and unemployment boards know that employers love to lie about that, so if you appeal they'll demand that the employer prove their claim that they fired you for one of those valid reasons, and if their proof doesn't pass muster they'll side with the employee

emoji posted:

who cares if they're full of poo poo. that's the answer they gave. either they're telling the truth or they have some good reason for lying about it, either way there's no good reason to interrogate someone you just met because you think they're lying in the loving small talk

if you meet somebody obviously foreign with a heavy accent and they say their name is steve, do you scoff and say "haha, very funny, steve, but what's your real name?"

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

emoji posted:

lmao

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

emoji posted:

is one of those "cherokee princess"?

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Main Paineframe posted:

employee usually wins, actually. employers can fire you for any reason, but you're eligible for unemployment unless you're fired for one of a few "valid" reasons like poor performance or committing crimes. and unemployment boards know that employers love to lie about that, so if you appeal they'll demand that the employer prove their claim that they fired you for one of those valid reasons, and if their proof doesn't pass muster they'll side with the employee

dont forget tardiness.

i know in principle employees can win appeals but i have heard, perhaps incorrectly, that an employer who really wants to gently caress you over, can. on the other hand if they really want to gently caress you, they probably would have been building a case for poor performance over time. oh, 3 minutes late today? that's going in your file...

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Enderzero posted:

dont forget tardiness.

i know in principle employees can win appeals but i have heard, perhaps incorrectly, that an employer who really wants to gently caress you over, can. on the other hand if they really want to gently caress you, they probably would have been building a case for poor performance over time. oh, 3 minutes late today? that's going in your file...

i think churn can also factor into how the unemployment review goes. like an employer that hardly ever fires someone might have an easier time appealing, but an employer that's constantly letting people go might have to really have evidence to successfully appeal.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z67Q0ME6NsA
tuesday morning motherfuckers

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

who cares if they're full of poo poo. that's the answer they gave. either they're telling the truth or they have some good reason for lying about it, either way there's no good reason to interrogate someone you just met because you think they're lying in the loving small talk

if you meet somebody obviously foreign with a heavy accent and they say their name is steve, do you scoff and say "haha, very funny, steve, but what's your real name?"

No, I would never press it, or maybe I would if we were getting on well, in which case it wouldn't be an issue. People with unusual names who choose names like Steve and Bob definitely lose points for creativity, though.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i'm from romania but i identify as a toronto native, and gently caress you for not respecting my identity

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

emoji posted:

The implication is "haha, yeah, you might consider yourself a Canadian, but you never will be in my eyes"

But that doesn't sound racist to you does it

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
it says in all those articles it says they have to sign non-disparagement clauses to get severance

which seems like it should be illegal

a lot of clauses you have to sign for everything these days seem like they should be illegal

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

emoji posted:

i never said he was malicious. his demeanor was pleasant. that doesn't make it any less hosed up that he interrupted a stranger's conversation in a restaurant to ask where he's from. why the gently caress should i have to explain my genetic heritage to a complete stranger in a restaurant just because he's curious?

emoji posted:

I know everyone ITT does mental gymnastics to find offense in every possible interaction, though.

there are no gymnastics here.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Wulfolme posted:

it says in all those articles it says they have to sign non-disparagement clauses to get severance

which seems like it should be illegal

a lot of clauses you have to sign for everything these days seem like they should be illegal

a lot of them are simple hurdles that scare off the idiots, but get cut through easily with even the most rudimentary of lawyers

i mean if you as an employer had the opportunity to add a page that says "You promise to not say anything bad or we'll sue", the cost is near nil to add that, and if you see a 70% reduction in grumbly ex-employee disparagement online, you just won. the same 1% that would sue you for whatever whatever are still going to sue you, they'll laugh and walk right through that contract, but you're still ahead

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

ruby idiot railed posted:

is one of those "cherokee princess"?

My people have been mining bitcoin 'lols' for years. The thing is, these computer coins, these bitcoins, are actually still extremely funny in 2015 and I can't get enough. In fact I post constantly in not one, but two bitcoin megathreads, just as my forefathers did. I also play world of warcraft in 2015.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

emoji posted:

No, I would never press it, or maybe I would if we were getting on well, in which case it wouldn't be an issue. People with unusual names who choose names like Steve and Bob definitely lose points for creativity, though.

imagine that when you meet a new person the first thing out of their mouth is almost always "where are you from?" and that people will then disagree with you when you answer truthfully. and that this goes on for your entire life.

this isn't to say that the question itself is a problem. i'm more than happy to talk about it if i know you, or if we're already engaged in conversation and the subject comes up, or whatever. the problem is that, in asking the question right away, one is telegraphing that they don't really give a poo poo about you, they just want to be able to classify you in their head.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

The implication is "haha, yeah, you might consider yourself a Canadian, but you never will be in my eyes"

But that doesn't sound racist to you does it

Canadian isn't even a real identity.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

duTrieux. posted:

imagine that when you meet a new person the first thing out of their mouth is almost always "where are you from?" and that people will then disagree with you when you answer truthfully. and that this goes on for your entire life.

this isn't to say that the question itself is a problem. i'm more than happy to talk about it if i know you, or if we're already engaged in conversation and the subject comes up, or whatever. the problem is that, in asking the question right away, one is telegraphing that they don't really give a poo poo about you, they just want to be able to classify you in their head.

Cool, this is a good explanation.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

emoji posted:

Cool, this is a good explanation.

thank you, i tried

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

emoji posted:

Everyone is from somewhere not here. I can count 5 ethnicities in my own blood.

http://youtu.be/VWMaql3kRg8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Enderzero posted:

dont forget tardiness.

if an employer really wants to gently caress you over and is willing to spend months building and meticulously documenting a case for it, then yeah, you're probably boned. if you see it coming you can probably build a case of your own, but it's hard to win if they're thorough since they'll probably have more paperwork than you

only employers with a very good grasp of labor law are that thorough, though. i doubt a company that's openly firing all their employees and replacing them with h-1bs is that meticulous. a lot of companies, especially smaller ones, aren't that thorough, they just figure they can lie and their word will be taken at face value. bad bosses are rarely patient enough to build a proper paper trail

emoji posted:

then why do you press it when asking where they're from? cool, so you think they're lying. good for you, it's still rude as poo poo to say so, especially to someone you've known for maybe thirty seconds

• Locked thread