Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

You could try goin' fer a low-impact accent, somethin' which only drops the G's offa words and stuffs A's and E's inta prepositions where an O should go. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think it's too hard ta read.

Oh yeah, and "don't" and "ain't" where "doesn't" and "isn't" oughta go.

Suggestions noted; edited her for readability, hopefully that clears things up a bit more. The edited version:

quote:

Siren: (Let's see, which classroom was I supposed to go to, again?)
???: Are you lost?

Siren: Huh?
???: What's wrong? You need somethin'?
Siren: Uh, umm...
???: You new here? Yuh-huh, probably, you got a super clean uniform.
???: We didn't meet this mornin', did we? Whaddaya lookin' ta find?
Siren: Umm. Uh...

???: Aww crap, I done it again.
???: I ask one question and the dam bursts, y'know?

???: Before I know it, I just can't stop myself!
???: I wanted ta be a changed girl, now that I'm in high school.
???: Be more girly and feminine, y'know? And now I done gone and messed it all up on day one.
???: Hahaha!
Siren: Oh, so you're a first-year like me?

???: Yuh-huh! Nice ta meet ya.
???: Say, I haven't seen ya face 'round here before.
???: Ya didn't go ta middle school with the rest of us, did ya?
Siren: Uh... nope. I just moved here.
???: I knew it! Pleasure ta make ya acquaintance.
Haruhi: I'm Nishimoto Haruhi!
Haruhi: I'm so glad ta find a new friend!
Siren: Oh, my name's Fudou Siren. Nice to meet you, too.

Haruhi: Amazin'! All the girls who knew each other in middle school all have their little cliques goin', so I was hopin' for a new friend like you.
Haruhi: If ya need somethin' just ask me, got it?
Siren: I will, thanks! Oh, hey--
Haruhi: Yeah? Whaddaya need? Ask me anythin'!
Siren: Do you know anything about Saeki-kun?
Haruhi: Of course I do!
Haruhi: Wait, are you one of those girls who came ta this school chasin' him?
Siren: N, no way!

Haruhi: He's got the brains, he's athletic like nobody's business...
Haruhi: And on top of all that his looks are A++.
Haruhi: They say that a whole lotta new girls came here chasin' after the guy.
Siren: He's that popular?
Haruhi: Well, if ya ask me he's got no sense of humor, so those other girls can have him.
Haruhi: How do I put it? He's, y'know, kinda cold, kinda prickly.
Siren: Hmm, is that so.

Haruhi: Whup! That girl looks lost too.
Haruhi: I'm gonna check on her!
Haruhi: See ya 'round, Ren!
Siren: (And just like that, she's gone! Nishimoto-san seems like quite a handful.)
Siren: (I hope I can keep up with her when we talk!)

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Way way waaaaay better.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Much better.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, that's a lot better. Thanks!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

All that said, she looks straight out of a JRPG. Goofy-rear end school uniform.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

ChaosArgate posted:

Sheep, could you double the screen size? The native capture is really small and a little hard to look at.

Yeah I was wondering about this too... Speaking of which, out of curiosity, is this game actually played with your DS being held vertically or what?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

ivantod posted:

Yeah I was wondering about this too... Speaking of which, out of curiosity, is this game actually played with your DS being held vertically or what?
It sure is! You can play it entirely with the touch screen.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Wakaoji is such a goon. :allears: I'm really hoping the thread goes for him and his ridiculous backstory.

Christopher Weatherfield is the one I hate hate HATE. If the thread goes for him....I guess I'll suck it up and read. At least half of the reason he's so horrible is his voice, so maybe he would be marginally more tolerable gagged.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Sheep, could you double the screen size? The native capture is really small and a little hard to look at.

Experimenting with settings. Got this with decent sound quality and my computer still able to function:

Better?

edit: same screenshot, higher res before resizing to 512 width... hard for me to notice a difference, to be honest. Maybe I should just be resizing?

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 11, 2015

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Is there a reason you don't want to just point resize the screenshots to 768x512?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

Is there a reason you don't want to just point resize the screenshots to 768x512?

A stubborn wish to keep the screenshots close to the 480x360 of TM2? I... I guess that's the only thing.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's one hell of a self-introduction sheet. I like that it's short, though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The best way to do it is probably taking the screenshots at native res, then batch resizing them kinda like how you adjusted the aspect ratio after I pointed out that the screens were slightly squished.

Edit: Hang on, native DS res is 256x192 per screen, so 256x384 for both, so resizing should end up with a resolution of 512x768 for the screens stacked on top of each other, so 768x512 should be the viewing resolution?

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 11, 2015

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Did they name that teacher Young Uncle (or worse, Young Old Guy)? That's kind of terrible. I hope those are some other kanji and not just the first things my brain picks out upon hearing those syllables.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Raitzeno posted:

Did they name that teacher Young Uncle (or worse, Young Old Guy)? That's kind of terrible. I hope those are some other kanji and not just the first things my brain picks out upon hearing those syllables.

Young Prince, actually. It becomes apparent when you get to the nicknames.

ChaosArgate posted:

The best way to do it is probably taking the screenshots at native res, then batch resizing them kinda like how you adjusted the aspect ratio after I pointed out that the screens were slightly squished.

Edit: Hang on, native DS res is 256x192 per screen, so 256x384 for both, so resizing should end up with a resolution of 512x768 for the screens stacked on top of each other, so 768x512 should be the viewing resolution?

It depends on the settings I use in Desmume. Right now I'm experimenting with x3 and x4 settings, but using the Screenshot button currently outputs to 384x256 (once properly rotated) no matter what I do. I think I'll just have to capture the screen via irfanview and chop things in post-production.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 11, 2015

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

That's awful in a different way, but slightly less awful overall.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

vibratingsheep posted:

It depends on the settings I use in Desmume. Right now I'm experimenting with x3 and x4 settings, but using the Screenshot button currently outputs to 384x256 (once properly rotated) no matter what I do. I think I'll just have to capture the screen via irfanview and chop things in post-production.

The x3 and x4 settings are more the internal rendering rather than the output. It has no effect whatsoever on sprite-based games and really only does anything for 3D games.

The difference is most apparent with a game like Kingdom Hearts where the characters have really detailed models where a lot of the details get smudgy and hard to see because of the tiny resolution. The NSMB example shows that 3D models are extremely sharp when the rendering resolution is jacked up, but sprites don't really see any major difference. Your best bet is to play at 1x resolution (you can up the screen size to double or triple if you have a big enough screen), capture screenshots with irfranview or take screencaps from an AVI recording, and then batch resizing them.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

vibratingsheep posted:

Please translate that to "Fresh Prince". That'll make it tolerable.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Please translate that to "Fresh Prince". That'll make it tolerable.

:ssh: you're spoiling chapter titles :ssh:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Mikl posted:

Surfer dude: a jerk.
Teacher: scatterbrained.

I hope we get better guys to pick from.
At least the Designated Childhood Friend character has a personality this time around. Sure, that personality is "jerk", but it's better than "sleepy and likes cats."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mikl posted:

Surfer dude: a jerk.
Teacher: scatterbrained.

I hope we get better guys to pick from.

Best friend: Fuggedaboutit

The choice is clear.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I have read enough should that surfer boy here seems like he's probably a decent and interesting choice.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Haifisch posted:

At least the Designated Childhood Friend character has a personality this time around. Sure, that personality is "jerk", but it's better than "sleepy and likes cats."

The term is "tsundere", you uncultured swine.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Catalina posted:

The term is "tsundere", you uncultured swine.

You take that back, you uncultured swine. I shall not see Ayukawa Madoka, the most-nuanced "tsundere" ever, desecrated by association just because writers in the last ten years have made them one-note characters like that flat-chest sadist, Louise the Zero. *adjusts nerd glasses* [/satire]

But really, "tsundere" used to mean something enjoyable. Then damned "Familiar of Zero" came along and ever since, it seems people confuse "one-note angry asswipe" with "nuanced character that is having a hard time sorting out just how they really feel, and actually acts differently around their love interest depending on who is around to see them together." Fuckin' Flanderization.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

SorataYuy posted:

But really, "tsundere" used to mean something enjoyable. Then damned "Familiar of Zero" came along and ever since, it seems people confuse "one-note angry asswipe" with "nuanced character that is having a hard time sorting out just how they really feel, and actually acts differently around their love interest depending on who is around to see them together." Fuckin' Flanderization.

Akane Tendo did the one-note angry woman thing over a decade before Louise ever existed.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
What do you call it when a guy is nice and perfect and a model student to everyone else but he can be his bitchy self with you?
Cause that's actually what we have here.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

CHiRAL posted:

What do you call it when a guy is nice and perfect and a model student to everyone else but he can be his bitchy self with you?

Arima-kun?

M. Morgan
May 9, 2012

CHiRAL posted:

True Love :syoon:

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

It's stream night, and that means it's time to close the polls.

1: Siren went to Hanegasaki because she likes the uniform.
2: Her hobby is reading.
3: She wants to join a club.
4: Her ideal guy is kind...
5: And funny.

Covering club activities and introductions for the boys tonight. One more major poll, and then it'll truly be time for The Run.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

EightDeer posted:

Akane Tendo did the one-note angry woman thing over a decade before Louise ever existed.

I want to agree, but then I remember her showing other feelings and faces to other characters, too. Overly-angry? Oh heck yes, I don't dispute that. But anger being her default reaction to everything, to the point of pulping someone? Not... quite.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Spoiler for the Haruhi ending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhZCoSXfl4Q

Osaka stereotypes are one of my favorite things about Japanese culture and I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

1: Siren went to Hanegasaki because she likes the uniform.
2: Her hobby is reading.
3: She wants to join a club.
4: Her ideal guy is kind...
5: And funny.

Do you know what you have DONE, thread? Do you?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Catalina posted:

Unless it involves STRANGER DANGER DLC, I think we're good.

Muraena
Feb 18, 2013

Justice. Honor. Anime~

Catalina posted:

Something Awful? :frogc00l:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Catalina posted:

No, but I'm sure it will be extremely entertaining.

By the way, a question: is there any sort of "gay option" (i.e.: ending up with your same-gender best friend) in any of the Tokimemo games?

Because Girl's Side 1 made me wish we could have done that with Mizuki, she was way more fun and interesting than the boys...

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Catalina posted:

Please, anything but that! I'd even accept dorklord, but that's just going too far!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Catalina posted:

Catalina posted:

Christopher Weatherfield is the one I hate hate HATE.

Please be Weatherfield :pray:

M. Morgan
May 9, 2012

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Please, anything but that! I'd even accept dorklord, but that's just going too far!

You'd rather have Saeki? :crossarms:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Mikl posted:

Because Girl's Side 1 made me wish we could have done that with Mizuki, she was way more fun and interesting than the boys...

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Just caught up with the thread.

The accent's poifect. Keep it up.

• Locked thread