Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Haruharuharuko posted:

It is a loving crying shame that javik isnt in the base game they hosed up bad making him day one $10 dlc

They really did. At the very least he should've been their "buy a new copy" incentive bundled with all versions of the game and not just the CE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I've beaten ME3 twice and I've never played with Javik because he is DLC. I feel like I missed out but I wasn't gonna pay extra.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

grittyreboot posted:

-Motherfucking thresher maw vs. reaper. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=916oKSgM0_4

When this scene unfolded for the first time I was like "Oh hell no is this really gonna hapHOLY gently caress!" :black101:

Also, the Javik "DLC" was actually on the loving disc from day 1

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kaubocks posted:

I've beaten ME3 twice and I've never played with Javik because he is DLC. I feel like I missed out but I wasn't gonna pay extra.

It sucks to pay for but he provides some pretty cool background on the Protheans and is a pretty effective sidekick. He's also a lot of fun if you bought the Citadel DLC, which you should, because spending time with your party on shore-leave is awesome.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Also, the Javik "DLC" was actually on the loving disc from day 1

Parts of it were. You could hack him in as a party member but he was missing a bunch of dialogue and the intro mission to recruit him wasn't on the disc at all.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It sucks to pay for but he provides some pretty cool background on the Protheans and is a pretty effective sidekick. He's also a lot of fun if you bought the Citadel DLC, which you should, because spending time with your party on shore-leave is awesome.

Slam is a pretty good loving around power too.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Parts of it were. You could hack him in as a party member but he was missing a bunch of dialogue and the intro mission to recruit him wasn't on the disc at all.

Yeah, Patrick Weekes said in a forum post that he was one more piece of content that Bioware had to gut out for time, and used the release period to finish coding him in.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I just started transistor. There is a button you can hold whenever to hum along to the music. 11/10.

Also a button that makes you do a cool jump

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
If you piss off the leader of Polystralia in Civilization: Beyond Earth and then try to talk to him, he'll call you a yobbo.

I could go on about how that's a really neat touch from a speculative fiction perspective, that it makes complete sense that a word's remained an insult by the same people, but the actual meaning and accepted context of it has shifted completely... but really I just love that he calls me a yobbo.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

I just started transistor. There is a button you can hold whenever to hum along to the music. 11/10.

You can press Q to do a sort of swishy spinny jump, too. No point to it, but it is fun to watch those mushroom things pop up and fly away as you leap through them.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I suppose this is technically a bad thing, but in Darkest Dungeon my main frontline fighter is an alcoholic, God fearing wreck who trembles and keeps begging me not to send him back into the dungeon. He's my only guy that can soak up the hits though and I feel awful relying on him so much. :smith:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Dewgy posted:

The Deagle is fantastic too: http://youtu.be/zy4eHMrGIc8

Haha holy poo poo it even has a little "ta-dah!" noise.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

poptart_fairy posted:

I suppose this is technically a bad thing, but in Darkest Dungeon my main frontline fighter is an alcoholic, God fearing wreck who trembles and keeps begging me not to send him back into the dungeon. He's my only guy that can soak up the hits though and I feel awful relying on him so much. :smith:

drat dude, take him to the sanitarium and remove some of that stuff.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
But that would cost, like, a sixth of a dungeon haul and by god I'm not made of treasure.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

poptart_fairy posted:

But that would cost, like, a sixth of a dungeon haul and by god I'm not made of treasure.

capitalism.txt

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Darkest Dungeon, a treatise on the un-regulated labour market.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I have no idea why I'm remembering this, but I remember the Call of Duty games from 4 til.. at least Black Ops, would have no problems spawning you in the middle of an explosion or the route of a bullet so you could die instantly. I have no idea who let that slip, since I never have had that happen in other FPS's.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I have no idea why I'm remembering this, but I remember the Call of Duty games from 4 til.. at least Black Ops, would have no problems spawning you in the middle of an explosion or the route of a bullet so you could die instantly. I have no idea who let that slip, since I never have had that happen in other FPS's.

I can't find the video but I remember long ago for Modern Warfare 3 (iirc) they brought back the airplane terminal map from MW2 and there was a way where if your entire team got on top of an airplane and they all had LMGs with the perk that increased bullet penetration you could literally just spray a certain corner where the enemy team would always spawn and constantly kill them for minutes straight until you ran completely out of ammo. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that activision never patched it before they dropped it completely for the next yearly release.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In Modern Warfare 2 I recall firing a javelin missile, immediately getting killed, then the game spawning me directly under my own missile as it landed.

Call of duty is a terrible, terrible series.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Modern Warfare 2 I recall firing a javelin missile, immediately getting killed, then the game spawning me directly under my own missile as it landed.

Call of duty is a terrible, terrible series.

tbf that was also the game where a glitch let you turn a javelin launcher into a suicide bomb, then run around knifing people while they run away in terror until someone mustered up the courage to shoot you. Then you blew up instantly, alongside everything and everyone in a 50-ft radius.

:catdrugs:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Fly Molo posted:

tbf that was also the game where a glitch let you turn a javelin launcher into a suicide bomb, then run around knifing people while they run away in terror until someone mustered up the courage to shoot you. Then you blew up instantly, alongside everything and everyone in a 50-ft radius.

:catdrugs:

This sounds like it'd be a rather amusing feature than a bug for some sort of custom game mode.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

They did that in MW3, one of the deathstreaks was Dead Man's Hand. Kinda like last stand, but instead of falling down with your gun out, you fall down with a superpowered C4 pack on your chest and the clicker in your hand. It went off instantly if you were shot. The explosion was comparable to a Hellfire missile from a Predator drone.

And by the name of the Lord did the tryhards hate that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

scamtank posted:

They did that in MW3, one of the deathstreaks was Dead Man's Hand. Kinda like last stand, but instead of falling down with your gun out, you fall down with a superpowered C4 pack on your chest and the clicker in your hand. It went off instantly if you were shot. The explosion was comparable to a Hellfire missile from a Predator drone.

And by the name of the Lord did the tryhards hate that.

I love those things. A friend of mine raged about Last Stand and Martyrdom constantly in MW4. He disliked LS because it meant someone else could get his kill and martyrdom was unfair bullshit.

He neglected to tell me he played on servers that banned martyrdom so I got him kicked from a few places because I liked that perk.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
In XCOM: Enemy Unknown, you can perform autopsies on killed aliens, or interrogate ones captured alive. Since killing it much easier, 99% of the time you get the autopsy first.

If you capture a specimen without having killed any of them, after the interrogation is complete, its corpse turns up available for dissection. You'll never notice this unless you capture a particular alien before killing one, so it would go unnoticed by most people playing. It's cool that they put it in there. XCOM apparently takes a pretty hardcore stance towards 'interrogation'.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

In XCOM: Enemy Unknown, you can perform autopsies on killed aliens, or interrogate ones captured alive. Since killing it much easier, 99% of the time you get the autopsy first.

If you capture a specimen without having killed any of them, after the interrogation is complete, its corpse turns up available for dissection. You'll never notice this unless you capture a particular alien before killing one, so it would go unnoticed by most people playing. It's cool that they put it in there. XCOM apparently takes a pretty hardcore stance towards 'interrogation'.

This is a great little thing and one I also enjoy, but it's not like the game makes any secret about how you're "interrogating" the aliens. Dr. Vahlen's a wonderful stereotype and makes no bones about exsxtracting ze information via direct... cortical interaction.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Chard posted:

This is a great little thing and one I also enjoy, but it's not like the game makes any secret about how you're "interrogating" the aliens. Dr. Vahlen's a wonderful stereotype and makes no bones about exsxtracting ze information via direct... cortical interaction.

The XCOM wiki on Sectoid interrogation posted:

Our interrogation of the small alien captive was a learning experience for all parties involved. Although traditionally an interrogation would imply a discussion of sorts, perhaps under coercion, that possibility was out of the question given these unique circumstances. We were instead forced to undertake a more aggressive approach, namely, through a series of invasive cranial probes inserted into the subject's prefrontal cortex.

The other research logs aren't as direct, but this is the way they interrogate all the aliens: slicing their skulls open, sticking needles into their brain, and hitting the "shock" button until something interesting happens.

The Geneva Conventions don't apply to aliens, shitlords!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I don't know how little it is, but the third Scarecrow level is great: The screen breaks up and suddenly you find yourself replaying the intro, only this time you're controlling the Joker and Batman is strapped to the gurney. Then you get to control Batman again as the Joker shoots you in the head. You get a game over screen with the usual advice, but this time the advice makes no sense (wiggle the middle stick to avoid being shot in the head). Then the game over screen goes away followed by Batman escaping his grave only to find himself surrounded by other insane Batmen

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Alhazred posted:

I don't know how little it is, but the third Scarecrow level is great: The screen breaks up and suddenly you find yourself replaying the intro, only this time you're controlling the Joker and Batman is strapped to the gurney. Then you get to control Batman again as the Joker shoots you in the head. You get a game over screen with the usual advice, but this time the advice makes no sense (wiggle the middle stick to avoid being shot in the head). Then the game over screen goes away followed by Batman escaping his grave only to find himself surrounded by other insane Batmen

The PC version has something added to one of the Scarecrow levels that makes it look like your video card died.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Oh god, that is genuinely terrifying.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The PC version has something added to one of the Scarecrow levels that makes it look like your video card died.

The console versions do that too, is it a different effect?

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

I was playing this game on an old computer that was legitimately in danger of having its video card die for real. When I got to this point I was so mad, and incredibly paranoid for the rest of the night.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

And if you try to skip the cutscene by pressing random buttons, you the "Skip" button guide tells you to push the purple J button.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

haveblue posted:

The console versions do that too, is it a different effect?

The effect looks like this on PC, dunno what it looks like on consoles. I played the game on PC and it did definitely give me a scare because the sound starts skipping and popping too just like it would if your computer suddenly poo poo the bed.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CJacobs posted:

The effect looks like this on PC, dunno what it looks like on consoles.

That's basically how it looks on console.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

CJacobs posted:

The effect looks like this on PC, dunno what it looks like on consoles. I played the game on PC and it did definitely give me a scare because the sound starts skipping and popping too just like it would if your computer suddenly poo poo the bed.

That is the fastest way to give a gamer a heart attack, as true terror is games locking up and expensive hardware dying. Whoever thought of including that into the game needs to be given a medal, and then have their face punched in.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Starhawk64 posted:

That is the fastest way to give a gamer a heart attack, as true terror is games locking up and expensive hardware dying. Whoever thought of including that into the game needs to be given a medal, and then have their face punched in.
No joke, I actually went back to Gamestop and exchanged my Arkham Asylum disc for a new one because I was convinced it was defective. Every time the graphical glitches came up I freaked out and dashboarded immediately, because I thought keeping the game running would gently caress my Xbox up something fierce. So it never got to the replaying the intro part.

Looking back on it, I'm kind of surprised the clerk let me make the exchange and didn't just say something like, "Haha dude, you fell for it?!"

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Far Cry 4 is pretty great. Full of nice little touches. No idea if they were in 2 or 3 as well, haven't played those.

Anyway, there's an auto drive feature and it is great. As long as you're on a proper road, you just press a button and it automatically drives you to your waypoint. Very useful as I haven't quite got the hang of the vehicle controls yet. Also you can ride elephants, and all the bad guys freak out about it. With good reason, elephants kick rear end in that game. I was trying to take out an outpost and I guess I acdidentally freed an elephant I hadn't noticed and he did the whole thing for me pretty much.

It is missing the Blood Dragon feature of being able to give everything the finger though, as far as I can tell.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

No joke, I actually went back to Gamestop and exchanged my Arkham Asylum disc for a new one because I was convinced it was defective. Every time the graphical glitches came up I freaked out and dashboarded immediately, because I thought keeping the game running would gently caress my Xbox up something fierce. So it never got to the replaying the intro part.

Looking back on it, I'm kind of surprised the clerk let me make the exchange and didn't just say something like, "Haha dude, you fell for it?!"

If only google had existed back in the day, probably would've saved you a lot of trouble.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

My Dad tried to exchange Metal Gear Solid because of the screen going blank and HIDEO appearing in the corner during the Psycho Mantis fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Walton Simons posted:

My Dad tried to exchange Metal Gear Solid because of the screen going blank and HIDEO appearing in the corner during the Psycho Mantis fight.

I can't help but wonder how many copies of Eternal Darkness got returned for the same reason.