Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What movies or TV shows count as good prequels? Star Wars is of course the metric for bad prequels because by cramming in every returning character the universe only got smaller. Rise and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes movies were excellent because they more of a reboot, you don't need to have watched any prior Ape movies, and the joy is in seeing how a Planet of Apes will come to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Well right now I'd say better call Saul is the metric for "good rear end TV prequels"

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I'm gonna bet by the time they get to the 3rd or 4th season of Better Call Saul and they've developed another Gus-like character ya'll who don't want them to go too much after the Breaking Bad storyline are going to be begging the show writers to continue it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's gonna look weird in a couple years when all the returning BB characters in Better Call Saul look older than they did in BB.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
With good writing they can go anywhere. I think a lot of people are so used to tv-series being ruined by bad writing that the response to anything that sounds challenging becomes "oh poo poo I hope they don't go there."

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
I bet this show never ever mentions crystal meth.

Just a hunch.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It's gonna look weird in a couple years when all the returning BB characters in Better Call Saul look older than they did in BB.

I swear they found some sort of magic de-aging potion because Bob Odenkirk in Better Call Saul looks ten years younger than he did by the end of Breaking Bad.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

CaptainPsyko posted:

Honestly, they can take this wherever in the timeline they want, so long as we get more Good Lawyerin' Montages like the one we had last night.

Petty and a prior.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

This show is awesome.

I just hope they don't do what every drama does and in a season or two every character is distilled to their very basic stereotypes and the series becomes unwatchable.

I guess what I'm saying is I hope Jimmy sticks around

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm in the minority of looking forward to a little more present exploration, but I like Jimmy and don't want to leave him to a miserable fate. I want there to be some hope for him. :ohdear:

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Taking bets on whether Chuck dies in this season or the next one.

:(

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I would imagine Season 1 ends with Jimmy McGill making the conscious choice to become Saul Goodman, seems like a perfect ending point for it

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Das Boo posted:

I'm in the minority of looking forward to a little more present exploration, but I like Jimmy and don't want to leave him to a miserable fate. I want there to be some hope for him. :ohdear:

I'll put money on a present storyline happening.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

RJWaters2 posted:

Taking bets on whether Chuck dies in this season or the next one.

:(

Chuck yelling about how he knows he is crazy and is going to get better was one of the best scenes I've seen on TV. Really well written man who has lost his mind

snodig
Oct 5, 2014

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I would imagine Season 1 ends with Jimmy McGill making the conscious choice to become Saul Goodman, seems like a perfect ending point for it

We're gonna get a "say my name" scene.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

I bet this show never ever mentions crystal meth.

Just a hunch.

I loved that, in the desert scene, they EXPLICITLY never mentioned meth.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I hope that someone with a long rap sheet gets banned for something minor in this thread.

I guess what I'm saying is that It's a good show and I really like how they're developing it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
"Why are you investigating us? What do we sell?"

"Uhh, <legal jargon out his rear end>"

The writers could have a lot of fun tiptoeing around stuff like this, BB fans will love it but it won't detract from people watching this show fresh.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just about to watch the second episode but the pilot was killer. I felt like I was being pandered to a bit with mike and Tuco but I lapped it up like ice cream anyways, because gently caress it that's awesome.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Last Chance posted:

I'll put money on a present storyline happening.

It makes sense that new antagonists could be established and weaved throughout the events of Breaking Bad into a conclusion that takes place after Breaking Bad. I'm up for seeing Saul earn a happy ending.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What movies or TV shows count as good prequels?

I really liked Caprica, but apparently I was the only one because they cancelled that poo poo right quick. I also never watched Battlestar Galactica (except the original when I was a kid). But I thought it was amazing while it lasted.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Repeating motifs:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I don't think the Saul shot is supposed to be a direct reference as it has more differences than similarities. :colbert:

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't think the Saul shot is supposed to be a direct reference as it has more differences than similarities. :colbert:

yeah but underneath that tape, he's makin the face

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

The Duggler posted:

Chuck yelling about how he knows he is crazy and is going to get better was one of the best scenes I've seen on TV. Really well written man who has lost his mind
I don't think Chuck was saying that he's going to get better from being crazy, but that he was gonna get better from EHS, which he genuinely believes he has because he's crazy.
The moment where Jimmy tells Chuck he's lost his mind is going to be loving gutwrenching.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Asema posted:

yeah but underneath that tape, he's makin the face
The side of his face isn't pressed against the ground.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
We already had that scene in Breaking Bad though

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The whole scene with Tuco politely ushering grandma upstairs while the skaters keep yammering and digging their hole deeper is amazing if you already know what he's capable of. I'd be curious how it plays to someone who hadn't seen BB at all.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
I haven't been blown away by the first two episodes but I know that it's probably because I can't binge watch the whole first season in one day and get immediately emotionally invested with it like I did with BB. I like them just fine but I'm really champing at the bit for them to get into the meat of the story.

Speaking of champing at the bit, I think I speak for everyone when I post: C'MON KELLY UPLOAD THE drat PODCAST ALREADY!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Was one of the defendants during the montage the dude from the junkyard (where the "magnets, bitch" segment takes place)?

Also, I enjoy how Saul's office is hidden behind a laundry room.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

Was one of the defendants during the montage the dude from the junkyard (where the "magnets, bitch" segment takes place)?

He definitely reminded me of Old Joe, but we didn't get a look at his face. Unlike Joe, though, that guy didn't seem all together.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
Is he working out of the same nail salon that he tried to get Jesse to launder money through?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
At the end, when Tuco's associate was asking about the money, why didn't Saul just say that it was in an offshore bank account? It probably is, white collar criminals don't generally store their money in heating vents, storage lockers, or barrels. Seems stupid to give a non-answer when the probable truth would make him go away.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Konstantin posted:

At the end, when Tuco's associate was asking about the money, why didn't Saul just say that it was in an offshore bank account? It probably is, white collar criminals don't generally store their money in heating vents, storage lockers, or barrels. Seems stupid to give a non-answer when the probable truth would make him go away.

Everything points to these white collar criminals not being particularly competent, FWIW.

(They took a meeting with Jimmy, after all.)

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

snodig posted:

We already had that scene in Breaking Bad though

1. Crying after the death of a loved one.

2. Crying after the death of a loved one.

3. Ouch that smarts.

Maybe when Chuck dies from electricity.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CaptainPsyko posted:

Everything points to these white collar criminals not being particularly competent, FWIW.

(They took a meeting with Jimmy, after all.)

Not to mention the million dollar yacht parked in their garden.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Is there even a slim possibility that the treasurer is innocent? I know that the big house and the boat indicates they've rather incompetently stolen the money and spent it, but he probably has a pretty good salary and he wouldn't be the first guy to spend beyond his means to prop up the appearance of success (like Jimmy and his imaginary English assistant and "office being painted"). Jimmy could be getting pushed into tracking down money that the guy honestly doesn't have.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Winkie01 posted:

Vince Gilligan is a loving genius. How pissed do you think HBO is for turning down BB and not having him in there camp?

It was BB and not Mad Men HBO turned down right?

Both actually

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Xoidanor posted:

Not to mention the million dollar yacht parked in their garden.

It's subtle. Like a stripper pole in a mosque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Is there even a slim possibility that the treasurer is innocent? I know that the big house and the boat indicates they've rather incompetently stolen the money and spent it, but he probably has a pretty good salary and he wouldn't be the first guy to spend beyond his means to prop up the appearance of success (like Jimmy and his imaginary English assistant and "office being painted"). Jimmy could be getting pushed into tracking down money that the guy honestly doesn't have.

In reality that would be exactly the kind of guy that does embezzle. ;)

It was heavily implied that the wife is the more savvy of the two so maybe the twist could be that the wife did it alone without the husband being complicit?

• Locked thread