Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
I was thinking of making a "photos my dad took" type thread. I say do it; I just finished scanning my late grandfather's slides and have some decent content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Mightaswell posted:

I was thinking of making a "photos my dad took" type thread. I say do it; I just finished scanning my late grandfather's slides and have some decent content.

Your username, in other words :v:

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Has anyone bought the betterscanning v700 120 film holders and found they make any real difference from the stock ones?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

try it with a lime posted:

Has anyone bought the betterscanning v700 120 film holders and found they make any real difference from the stock ones?

I've got it for the V600 and it made a world of a difference for me. If your film is super flat already, it probably wouldn't make much of a difference though.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

In the course of scanning my dad's work as a photographer, I've spotted two US Presidents, three NC governors, at least two of the cast of the Andy Griffith show, a few of then-B-lister celebrities (Cliff Robertson, Fred MacMurray, etc), and Evel loving Kneivel hanging out with the local rescue squad.

Would posting a thread with some of the better shots and weirder finds be kosher for the Dorkroom whenever I get finished? (spoiler: I will never be finished, as the 1992, 1996, and 1997 boxes haven't even been opened yet)

I created a thread for this. Post post post!

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

The betterscanning holders are worthwhile if you suspect your stock film holders are not at the correct height.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

try it with a lime posted:

Yeah, I liked them and considered it worthwhile. I also found them a lot nicer to work with from a convenience standpoint than the plastic holders, when paired with the ANR glass.

I had mine for sale a couple weeks ago but I'm kinda thinking about keeping them (and my Hassie) now.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Picked up a Plustek 8100 for $160 today because the v600 just wasn't doing it for me for 35mm scans. I'm *much* happier.

Terraces, Rivers and a Bridge by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Mightaswell posted:

I created a thread for this. Post post post!

Batch 1 is a-posted

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Pukestain Pal posted:

Picked up a Plustek 8100 for $160 today because the v600 just wasn't doing it for me for 35mm scans. I'm *much* happier.

Good job! You're getting the hang of it already.. What scanning software are you using?

(I remember when I did a similar switch, was like night and day)

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

maxmars posted:

Good job! You're getting the hang of it already.. What scanning software are you using?

(I remember when I did a similar switch, was like night and day)

vuescan

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Same here. Only thing, I never managed to significantly improve the quality of the outputted picture using multi-exposure. I'd have liked less noise in deep shadows sometimes. If you manage to, I'd be interested in knowing how you did it.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I am really curious to see and get some insight to the workflow that some of you guys have when processing color negatives. I feel like my scanner produces really dull scans and I always have to increase some combination of exposure, contrast, and saturation to get an image that I think looks decent. I always start out with a "raw" scan straight from the scanner, and I obviously follow the ~one true processing video~ that gets posted every month, but that alone is never enough. I wonder if it's just my scanner. Maybe the backlight is too dim? I dunno. I have the same problem across all different kinds of cameras and film brands. My scanner is an Epson 4870. Maybe I should just get a V600 instead.

I would love to see some of the original files straight out of the scanner from you guys as comparison.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

BANME.sh posted:

I am really curious to see and get some insight to the workflow that some of you guys have when processing color negatives. I feel like my scanner produces really dull scans and I always have to increase some combination of exposure, contrast, and saturation to get an image that I think looks decent. I always start out with a "raw" scan straight from the scanner, and I obviously follow the ~one true processing video~ that gets posted every month, but that alone is never enough. I wonder if it's just my scanner. Maybe the backlight is too dim? I dunno. I have the same problem across all different kinds of cameras and film brands. My scanner is an Epson 4870. Maybe I should just get a V600 instead.

I would love to see some of the original files straight out of the scanner from you guys as comparison.

This all sounds perfectly normal to me.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

Exposure/contrast/saturation adjustments are just a coverup for learning how to manipulate your curve more efficiently.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

BANME.sh posted:

Feed roll into Pakon, wait 5 minutes, minimal color correction in software, done. Maybe some further stuff in PS if its a special shot but the Pakon gets the tones right in like 95% of cases so I usually don't bother. I don't shoot MF so I dunno about that.

Chill Callahan fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 19, 2015

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Chill Callahan posted:

Feed roll into Pakon, wait 5 minutes, minimal color correction in software, done. Maybe some further stuff in PS if its a special shot. I don't shoot MF so I dunno about that.

Yeah I've had a few rolls of mine scanned by Mightaswell's Pakon and ever since then I've been chasing its quality of color correction using my flatbed, but I can't get close. :smith:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

On the one hand, it sucks when you're cleaning a negative to scan and it's been improperly stored for so long and so degraded that it wipes part of the exposure right off when you clean it.

On the other hand, sometimes you get results like this, in which a smoking orb of nothing grows over US 1 and a Lovecraftian horror prepares to lurch out and incinerate the lucky first :kheldragar:

This is really cool, I want to try to do this deliberately with some of my more boring landscapes. What were you using to clean the negative?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

This is really cool, I want to try to do this deliberately with some of my more boring landscapes. What were you using to clean the negative?

All I was doing was sloshing them around in distilled water and then wiping dry with a paper towel; the strips that were damaged this way by cleaning were all in poorly sealed boxes for 20-40 years and had growth or something stuck to them that pulled off. Don't know what you'd use for an intentional effect

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Don't know what you'd use for an intentional effect

20-40 years

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

A couple of pages back someone suggested buying a V700 refurb from Epson themselves.

I just did that. Thanks!

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

If you can catch them in stock, they're a great deal for $415 shipped:

Man_of_Teflon posted:

No unsharp mask, no adjustments at all, just scanned with epson scan with the output points dragged to 0 and 255, 2400dpi full crop:

V500:

V700

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Man_of_Teflon posted:

If you can catch them in stock, they're a great deal for $415 shipped:

Yea, that's what I did, but inflated a bit for Canadian currency.

Are those scanned with the stock holders?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

bobmarleysghost posted:

FWIW, I noticed a similar difference going from V500 to V700, and at least part of it is because the V700 has adjustable-height holders (well, there's three possible positions) and the V500 doesn't.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Got sick of the stock Epson 35mm film holders, so I modified mine to improve scans with bowed film.

Melted some wire directly into the plastic with a soldering iron. :clint: Gotta clean up the edges a bit but I did a test run with some really really curled film and it came out considerably sharper.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I see lots of used specialized scsi scanners at bargain prices.
Are those going to be a headache working with recent-ish computers for subpar quality compared to Epson Vxxx models ?

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

unpacked robinhood posted:

I see lots of used specialized scsi scanners at bargain prices.
Are those going to be a headache working with recent-ish computers for subpar quality compared to Epson Vxxx models ?

Yes.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

bobmarleysghost posted:

Stock holders on both, medium format. I think I got lucky with my scanner, because I tried shimming the V700 holders with up to like 8 pieces of paper and it only made things worse.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
Do any Plustek 8100 or equivalent owners have some advice for reducing noise on scans? I'm currently scanning some color film at max resolution, 48 bit color with vies an and the resulting tif files are really noisy. I thought it might just be the scanner, but I've seen some really high quality scans from the thing, leading me to believe that it's operator error on my part. I can post examples when I'm home from work, if need be.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Tony Two Bapes posted:

Do any Plustek 8100 or equivalent owners have some advice for reducing noise on scans? I'm currently scanning some color film at max resolution, 48 bit color with vies an and the resulting tif files are really noisy. I thought it might just be the scanner, but I've seen some really high quality scans from the thing, leading me to believe that it's operator error on my part. I can post examples when I'm home from work, if need be.

I have an 8100 and don't have noise issues. Are you sure it's not just grain?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Stock holders on both, medium format. I think I got lucky with my scanner, because I tried shimming the V700 holders with up to like 8 pieces of paper and it only made things worse.

What do you mean you got lucky if you say the adjustments made things worse?

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

bobmarleysghost posted:

What do you mean you got lucky if you say the adjustments made things worse?

For whatever reason, my V700 appears to have come from the factory with the (fixed) focus of the scanning lens pretty accurate to where the stock holders hold the film.

The V700's stock holders have a few adjustable positions if you aren't so lucky, but sometimes those aren't adjustable enough apparently - the betterscanning holders have more variable heights to get things exact.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Tony Two Bapes posted:

Let's see the scan. The only thing coming to mind is that you may have underexposed the pics. The one thing the 8100 doesn't like much is retrieving content from the shadows.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
A couple of Pakon 335s came up for sale on eBay. These are the big brothers to the 135 plus and don't have the fixed blue filter over the sensor (i.e. you won't lose dynamic range on B&W and slides). They are also faster. It's a little pricey but there is a best offer option and last time I looked for a 335, photo lab liquidation places wanted over 3k for one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Refurbished-Pakon-F335-Film-Scanner-commercial-high-speed-/331502048690

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Any opinions on the Epson 4990? I've been looking at upgrading my current scanner to a V700 but found a good deal on a 4990 with a better scanning variable mount holder and was wondering about getting that instead,

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

Any opinions on the Epson 4990? I've been looking at upgrading my current scanner to a V700 but found a good deal on a 4990 with a better scanning variable mount holder and was wondering about getting that instead,

This doesn't have a comparison to the v700, but it looks like the v750 has more saturated colors and better performance in shadowy areas. Strangely it doesn't look like that much improvement in resolution.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/scan-comparison/

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
In eBay related news I got one of these ionizing film cleaners:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361234782853

It doesn't come with the power supply, but this one should work (6-pin mini-DIN, 24V, >250mA):
http://www.amazon.com/Tiger-Power-Adp-5501-Supply-2-3a/dp/B000KKO3PI

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Chill Callahan posted:

This doesn't have a comparison to the v700, but it looks like the v750 has more saturated colors and better performance in shadowy areas. Strangely it doesn't look like that much improvement in resolution.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/scan-comparison/
Thanks!

Chill Callahan posted:

Pretty tempting just to try it out, sadly shipping to the UK more than triples the price.

ape
Jul 20, 2009

Chill Callahan posted:

It doesn't come with the power supply, but this one should work (6-pin mini-DIN, 24V, >250mA):

Nice, just grabbed a set of those as well. I found a video on youtube of someone using it with his Pakon, seemed to work pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

Chill Callahan posted:

I got one new a while back off a local guy who bought a bulk lot for cheap... totally worth it, it has majorly cut down on how long I need to spend cleaning up dust spots in lightroom.

• Locked thread