Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
How much would it suck for history to record your identity as "pinkeye"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radioaktivitat
Sep 2, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

When I grew up it would have probably been more that my parents didn't trust me to sit patiently in an unlocked room and wait for them, not any fear of strangers or sexual predators. I'd have opened the door and gone out to explore at least a little bit. Leaving a sleeping kid alone is worse, what if they wake up and don't know where you went? They're guaranteed to leave the room and wander around in that case. There's just too many bad things that can happen, even in the late 80's my parents never would have done that.
I recall hearing an 'alternative' theory about Madeline which claimed she'd just got scared on her own, left the apartment to look for her parents and ended up wandering the few hundred yards to the beach and drowning in the sea. Seems a little bit far-fetched for a 3 year old but then so does all the hysteria about international sex rings.

Content: Sweating sickness caused several lethal epidemics in the 15th and 16th century across Europe then simply disappeared. We still don't know what it was. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweating_sickness

Buh
May 17, 2008

radioaktivitat posted:

I recall hearing an 'alternative' theory about Madeline which claimed she'd just got scared on her own, left the apartment to look for her parents and ended up wandering the few hundred yards to the beach and drowning in the sea. Seems a little bit far-fetched for a 3 year old but then so does all the hysteria about international sex rings.

My three year old nephew managed to do this with the whole family sleeping in the hotel room. Woke up at the crack of dawn, decided he was bored, went down to the beach by himself. If it weren't for the stroke of luck that it was ANZAC day, which people commemorate with dawn ceremonies on beaches, this could have been a much worse story instead of one where some old people looked after him for a bit.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Buh posted:

My three year old nephew managed to do this with the whole family sleeping in the hotel room. Woke up at the crack of dawn, decided he was bored, went down to the beach by himself. If it weren't for the stroke of luck that it was ANZAC day, which people commemorate with dawn ceremonies on beaches, this could have been a much worse story instead of one where some old people looked after him for a bit.

It can happen. My brother wandered outside when I was a kid and managed to fall into a deep fish pond. He would have drowned if I hadn't been within shouting distance of him. He yelled and I ran over and dragged him out. He was probably about 3 at the time. No-one else was outside and the nearest house was about 1/2 a mile away.

I didn't even know he was outside until I heard him call for help. If I had been playing in the woods, I would never have heard him.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
That's one of the primary reasons that having children is a terrifying experience. A child is raised pretty much assuming that mom and dad will take care of everything and they will always be safe, not giving much thought into the fact that mom and dad are not omnipotent. Kids are great but you are guaranteed to feel that pit-of-your-stomach horror every now and then when you realise that they've just wandered off and oh poo poo where are they oh there you are. My son in particular can be a total four-year-old dick and has found an uncanny ability to let go of my hand and hide behind me in crowded areas. It's like Looney Tunes, whenever I turn around he somehow manages to stay in my blind spot just so I can have three or four seconds of pure panic every now and then when I can't find him.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Wild T posted:

That's one of the primary reasons that having children is a terrifying experience. A child is raised pretty much assuming that mom and dad will take care of everything and they will always be safe, not giving much thought into the fact that mom and dad are not omnipotent. Kids are great but you are guaranteed to feel that pit-of-your-stomach horror every now and then when you realise that they've just wandered off and oh poo poo where are they oh there you are. My son in particular can be a total four-year-old dick and has found an uncanny ability to let go of my hand and hide behind me in crowded areas. It's like Looney Tunes, whenever I turn around he somehow manages to stay in my blind spot just so I can have three or four seconds of pure panic every now and then when I can't find him.

My little sister was a master of this when I was a kid, she'd get under a bed and go to sleep, or the best time, perching on the rungs under a fold down table like a goddamn bird. Much panic happened, then we'd just find her snoozing. It took her like 5 seconds to find a place to sleep and do that.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Wild T posted:

You've nailed it. The tougher part is then trying to tone down your complete panic once you've found them right next to you, since that can be pretty loving heavy for a kid to deal with.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Hexyflexy posted:

My little sister was a master of this when I was a kid, she'd get under a bed and go to sleep, or the best time, perching on the rungs under a fold down table like a goddamn bird. Much panic happened, then we'd just find her snoozing. It took her like 5 seconds to find a place to sleep and do that.

Your sister is a cat, actually.

My dad once thought it a good idea to go down a water slide with three year old me on his lap. When we hit the pool he surfaced without me. He panicked and dove to find me clawing around the bottom like some sort of blind shrimp. I never went down a water slide again until I learned how to swim some years later.

I like to tease him about it now and then because I don't remember it and grew up fine, but he recalls the story with horror in his eyes like he's a Vietnam veteran.

I can't possibly grasp how awful it must feel to think your own carelessness killed your kid, even if it is fleeting :smith:

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Hexyflexy posted:

The parent terror is uncontrollable. My eldest daughter once climbed up on the top shelf of a closet organizer, covered herself with clothes, and went to sleep. I was in a blind panic until I remembered that my brother did a similar thing by hiding underneath blankets that were stacked behind a chair when we were kids. I started checking any stack of blankets or clothes in the house and tracked her down.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The only times I've ever felt anything like parent terror were when my pets went missing. Particularly my dogs, who would escape from our backyard every now and then to go run around the neighborhood.

They always came back fine, but Jesus Christ did I always panic the gently caress out whenever they did that. The last time it happened, my pug came extremely close to dying of heat stroke; it was only through a series of VERY lucky and VERY unlikely events that his life was saved and we were able to find him.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

How much would it suck for history to record your identity as "pinkeye"?

Interview question #1 for Bob Costas.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

The last time it happened, my pug came extremely close to dying of heat stroke; it was only through a series of VERY lucky and VERY unlikely events that his life was saved and we were able to find him.
Could you elaborate?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
PYF stories of your children

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

stickyfngrdboy posted:

It has, and it still happens. There are those who still leave their kids unattended in hotel rooms, and in almost all cases nothing bad happens. People in general never used to be so terrified of stuff, but maybe more bad stuff is happening, I don't know. Doubt it, though.

I don't think more stuff is happening necessarily, as much as our visibility to things has increased. 20 or 30 years ago, we had television and newspapers, now we've got pretty much everything internet-enabled including our phones and tablets, so more information is available immediately. Not to mention, anyone looking to abduct someone can use those same means to prey on children, versus the stereotypical warnings about creepy dudes approaching someone from a car on the street or snatching a kid when parents aren't looking.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Wandering off with no one noticing is how my cousin became severely handicapped. When he was two or so, he found his way outside and started walking by the hot tub. Of course he fell in and no one noticed long enough for there to be permanent brain damage. He would've been a perfectly healthy person, but ended up living the rest of his life (he had a heart attack a couple of years ago) lying on a mat and drooling, never able to speak or walk.
So the moral of the story is hot tubs are only for childless swingers.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

The Endbringer posted:

Wandering off with no one noticing is how my cousin became severely handicapped.

The back of my left arm, from shoulder to elbow, is a mass of scar tissue. As a toddler, I toddled my way out of an apartment, into a parking lot, and under a car without anyone noticing. I got my shirt hung up on the car's muffler, and the owner of the car decided to drive off without checking his muffler for stray babies.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Centripetal Horse posted:

The back of my left arm, from shoulder to elbow, is a mass of scar tissue. As a toddler, I toddled my way out of an apartment, into a parking lot, and under a car without anyone noticing. I got my shirt hung up on the car's muffler, and the owner of the car decided to drive off without checking his muffler for stray babies.

How in the world did you survive that?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

FourLeaf posted:

He used this one weird trick.
Insurance companies are furious!

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Baby's Day Out is WAY more intense in real life.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I had a middle school classmate who, when he was toddler, survived falling from a second story balcony and hitting his head. He was pretty slow and got held back by a year but it's amazing that's all that happened.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

FourLeaf posted:

I almost didn't. Apparently, I got an awful infection from the burn, and was in serious danger of not pulling through.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Anoia posted:

Could you elaborate?

Not in this thread. It's too long a story to post in this thread without being horribly off-topic. And honestly, I really don't even loving want to type it out because just thinking about it still shakes me up to this day. :(

The super short version is, we came very close to losing one of our dogs because my dad was too retarded to keep the loving backyard doors closed while working outside so they wouldn't escape, like I've been telling him to do since I was ELEVEN, and it took a literal string of just-in-the-nick-of-time events to keep him from dying before anyone even noticed he was gone. And when I say "just-in-the-nick-of-time", I mean that if any one of those events had happened as little as 2 or 3 seconds later than they did, then that dog would have been dead, and my dad's whole head and upper body would today be heavily disfigured and thick with scar tissue from the hurricane of claw hammer blows and "unlicensed" car battery brain-jolts I gave him as punishment for letting my doggy die.

loving great, now it's 2:30 AM and I'm too worked up from typing that to fall asleep. Are you happy now, Anoia?

I. M. Gei has a new favorite as of 09:33 on Feb 11, 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Anoia posted:

Could you elaborate?

Pugs' short faces can make them have breathing issues and become overheated easily in hot weather.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Hexyflexy posted:

My parents tell me I used to do the same thing, right down to crawling under my brother's bed all the way to the corner and racking out for a few hours. They said they tore the house apart and were driving around the neighborhood looking for me until I woke up, walked upstairs and asked for some food. I did it pretty often after that but once they knew where to find me it was more a matter of keeping me from sneaking off to take naps at weird times and screwing up my sleeping schedule. I can vaguely remember sleeping under there as a kid but I don't know why I did it, especially since my brother and I had bunk beds so I was literally a few feet from my comfortable bed and would sleep on a concrete floor.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

I wonder how many children's lives have been saved by baby leashes.
Anyway here's a goddamn scary wiki page.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Dutymode posted:

Interview question #1 for Bob Costas.

Actually it's "Now, when you say 'Bob Costas,' what do you mean by that?"

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Not in this thread. It's too long a story to post in this thread without being horribly off-topic.

And when I say "just-in-the-nick-of-time", I mean that if any one of those events had happened as little as 2 or 3 seconds later than they did, then that dog would have been dead, and my dad's whole head and upper body would today be heavily disfigured and thick with scar tissue from the hurricane of claw hammer blows and "unlicensed" car battery brain-jolts I gave him as punishment for letting my doggy die.

That's, uh, pretty unnerving, actually. Sorry I said anything.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Wild T posted:

My parents tell me I used to do the same thing, right down to crawling under my brother's bed all the way to the corner and racking out for a few hours. They said they tore the house apart and were driving around the neighborhood looking for me until I woke up, walked upstairs and asked for some food. I did it pretty often after that but once they knew where to find me it was more a matter of keeping me from sneaking off to take naps at weird times and screwing up my sleeping schedule. I can vaguely remember sleeping under there as a kid but I don't know why I did it, especially since my brother and I had bunk beds so I was literally a few feet from my comfortable bed and would sleep on a concrete floor.

I'd do the same as a kid, and usually it ended up happening because I'd be looking for a toy or something and just conk out during the ordeal. My mom found me sleeping on the top shelf of her bedroom closet once when i was 4 because my 7 year old brother and I loved scaling our way up like little goddamn monkeys for the hell of it (or to try to find hidden presents during Christmas/birthdays).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I get you love your pets and everything, but gently caress man. Pets die, and with a pug something as weird as a hawk or barn owl killing it is a real possibility.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
All you guys talking about children and fear need to check out the NPR Invisibilia podcast, specifically the one about Fear and Fearlessness. I think it's the second or third episode.

They go into the differences in how children have been treated between generations due to parental fear. Part of it even fits in the thread because there's a section about a woman who literally cannot feel fear and how this really messes with her ability to react to situations.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

And when I say "just-in-the-nick-of-time", I mean that if any one of those events had happened as little as 2 or 3 seconds later than they did, then that dog would have been dead, and my dad's whole head and upper body would today be heavily disfigured and thick with scar tissue from the hurricane of claw hammer blows and "unlicensed" car battery brain-jolts I gave him as punishment for letting my doggy die.

loving great, now it's 2:30 AM and I'm too worked up from typing that to fall asleep. Are you happy now, Anoia?

Seek help.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Maybe on the popular blogging site tumblr?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jesus Christ dude

Polaron posted:

a woman who literally cannot feel fear and how this really messes with her ability to react to situations.

That sounds incredibly scary. Was there a name for her condition?

Thanks for the podcast recommendation. I listened to the pilot episode about the gender fluid woman and thought it was boring so I just forgot about it.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Not in this thread. It's too long a story to post in this thread without being horribly off-topic. And honestly, I really don't even loving want to type it out because just thinking about it still shakes me up to this day. :(

The super short version is, we came very close to losing one of our dogs because my dad was too retarded to keep the loving backyard doors closed while working outside so they wouldn't escape, like I've been telling him to do since I was ELEVEN, and it took a literal string of just-in-the-nick-of-time events to keep him from dying before anyone even noticed he was gone. And when I say "just-in-the-nick-of-time", I mean that if any one of those events had happened as little as 2 or 3 seconds later than they did, then that dog would have been dead, and my dad's whole head and upper body would today be heavily disfigured and thick with scar tissue from the hurricane of claw hammer blows and "unlicensed" car battery brain-jolts I gave him as punishment for letting my doggy die.

lmfao

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Thanks for the podcast recommendation. I listened to the pilot episode about the gender fluid woman and thought it was boring so I just forgot about it.

If this Wired article is the same lady, then it looks like her condition is Urbach-Wiethe disease: http://www.wired.com/2010/12/fear-brain-amygdala/

More info on it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urbach%E2%80%93Wiethe_disease

Apparently it causes certain parts of someone's brain to waste away over time, and affected the parts of her brain that trigger fear reactions.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I could swear I read an article in People or something about a little girl with that. Her parents had to manually teach her to be afraid of things.

Or maybe it was that she couldn't feel pain, which is also pretty scary. People who have that are in wheelchairs by their 20s because they turn an ankle or something and never notice, so they keep walking on it and loving it up even worse.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Can't wait until someone makes a wiki article about your future serial killings so I can post it itt

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

eightpole posted:

Can't wait until someone makes a wiki article about your future serial killings so I can post it itt

I'm now kinda nervous I unwittingly brought that on. :ohdear: Please don't hurt me, Gitmo. I love pugs, too!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That guy who killed and hosed a another guy and then mailed body parts to news agencies had been posted about on SA long ago.

History is constantly happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Mak0rz posted:

'Fearless', the January 15th episode. She's been held at knifepoint and gunpoint multiple times and it just doesn't connect with her. There's a recording of her talking about it and she never comes off as anything less than cheerful.

And yes, Ozz's Wired article seems to be about the same woman, SM. One of her doctors mentions on the podcast that they tried to scare her with poisonous snakes and then had to restrain her from playing with them.

EDIT:

Phobophilia posted:

That guy who killed and hosed a another guy and then mailed body parts to news agencies had been posted about on SA long ago.

History is constantly happening.

Wasn't there a goon in E/N whose mother had actually been corresponding with the dude in prison? Whatever happened with that?