Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Have any of you gone to Abdullah's restaurant? If so, did you get Hepatitis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I really don't think there is any ulterior motive to why the guy rates matches the way he does. He doesn't put enough thought into it to have an ulterior motive. I don't think it's crazy to wonder if maybe a match taking place in a promotion he's currently very into, or that has an overall presentation that appeals to him enhances the match itself for him slightly, but that's very different from claiming that the guy is conspiring to keep the 5 star rating away from WWE matches.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

projecthalaxy posted:

Everybody treats the Meltzer 5 as sacrosanct but forget that he has given matches 6, 7, and negative-infinity Stars.
If I remember right, it was Flair/Steamboat house match that got 6 stars; which one got 7?

Dave gave the Sheik/Volkoff/Bushwackers match "Absolute zero," which violates laws of thermodynamics. It was Alvarez who gave it "minus more stars than there are in the universe, and the universe is infinite," which violates generally accepted laws of cosmology. The match was so bad, it broke physics. It drizzled quantum shits.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
dave isn't even like a master of workrate analysis or anything. if i wanted to really break down why a match worked or didn't work, i'd go to SCSA, or JR, or someone else. he's just seen so much poo poo over the years that it's fun to have one guy's opinion on like, All Wrestling over the last 30 years.

Dr. Dirt
Jan 1, 2008

This one goes out to all the Legomaniacs!

Alain Post posted:

That's slightly high IMO

Yeah, I wouldn't give it more than several hundred million, but then my Network stream was choppy.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Basically it wouldn't matter, except he's the most important journalist in wrestling by a mile or two. He proceeds to split matches down to the quarter-star like there's actually an objective scale whatsoever. This goes even for stuff that doesn't matter/everyone knows was bad, so you get absurd ratings like *3/4. Like if you asked him "Hey Dave, what makes this match a 3.5 out of 10?" do you think he'd actually have an answer?

Then the fandom ranks every match he has ever reviewed by his star ratings.

There's really nothing backing up his opinion except his gut feelings, but he's clearly reluctant to rate WWE/F matches a 5 and there's really no coherent reason why. It gets to the point that rating something ****3/4 is actually kind of backhanded. There are five five-star WWE/F matches ever, which is flat-out silly. I think there's a bunch of stuff that people can reasonably agree deserved special recognition.

Then he shouldn't be using a star scale, obviously.

shut up nerd

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
I care about his ratings in the sense of "if he rated it more than 3 1/2 stars it had to be a decent match at least." Any more than that is taking one guy's opinions way too seriously.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
The man's newsletter was lit on fire by Hollywood Hulk Hogan so it must be legit

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

I'd love to know what 1997-2011 WWE matches deserved five stars but got robbed.

Star ratings are dumb but if I was forced to hand out snowflakes nothin would be getting 5/5 cuz almost every match I really dug was spoiled by a super lousy finish. It's a major weakness with WWE.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
Benoit/Angle from RR 2003 would be a big one I'd imagine. Shield/Wyatts from last year is one that I wouldn't think someone was crazy if they thought it was five stars. When you look at a match like that vs. Ibushi/Nakamura as far as I can see it mostly comes down to stylistic preference.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Benoit/Angle is one of my favorite WWE matches ever, yeah. That said I can't remember poo poo about the build up to it, so, that can be a legit negative to some people.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Smoking Crow posted:

Have any of you gone to Abdullah's restaurant? If so, did you get Hepatitis

I did back in 2013 during a road trip. It's a big pink building in a pretty bad part of Atlanta so it's not exactly hard to miss. The spare ribs were alright (they tasted grilled, not smoked, if you care about that) and there's a shitload of wrestling memorabilia which was pretty cool to see. Supposedly Abdullah shows up sometimes and goes around to talk to people, but he wasn't there when we stopped in.

Maybe that's why I didn't get hepatitis

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Hot Poppin Bunnz posted:

I'd love to know what 1997-2011 WWE matches deserved five stars but got robbed.

Star ratings are dumb but if I was forced to hand out snowflakes nothin would be getting 5/5 cuz almost every match I really dug was spoiled by a super lousy finish. It's a major weakness with WWE.

taker/hbk 1

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
If there is a person who complains about the poor booking of the WWE and also about why Meltzer doesn't give out a lot of ***** to the WWE, maybe think about that.

Part of a ***** match for him is (to a huge degree) work rate, but also a sense of history and build. The WWE has phenomenal talent and puts on lots of great matches, but often this is in spite of the storylines outside of the matches. The nature of WWE storytelling, constantly having to produce new content and blowing through feuds, is like the opposite of what Meltzer likes to see from what I can tell.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Angle vs Benoit from the Rumble and Angle vs Michaels from Mania would be my two.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I really wish they had the entire back library of Observers up so I could read what Dave thought of Angle/Benoit

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
how well known was Rich Flair prior to/at the time of the plane crash?

And was that why he stopped being Dusty Rhodes style big guy or did that come before/after independently of the crash?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Let's talk about tough enough. I'm watching series 1. It's atrocious.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

ICHIBAHN posted:

Have you gotten to HHH burying Goldberg yet? It's the best.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Solomonic posted:

I did back in 2013 during a road trip. It's a big pink building in a pretty bad part of Atlanta so it's not exactly hard to miss. The spare ribs were alright (they tasted grilled, not smoked, if you care about that) and there's a shitload of wrestling memorabilia which was pretty cool to see. Supposedly Abdullah shows up sometimes and goes around to talk to people, but he wasn't there when we stopped in.

Maybe that's why I didn't get hepatitis

I heard that when Abby shows up, he's super carny and makes you pay for poo poo like his autograph, pics and some of the forks he's used in matches

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Alain Post posted:

Benoit/Angle is one of my favorite WWE matches ever, yeah. That said I can't remember poo poo about the build up to it, so, that can be a legit negative to some people.

It was cool to see a match where the heel's thugs are sent to the back, leaving the heel to wrestle without any outside interference against the face, but the heel won clean anyway because he's actually an incredibly good wrestler.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Spermgod posted:

Benoit/Angle from RR 2003 would be a big one I'd imagine. Shield/Wyatts from last year.

Benoit/HBK/Triple H I, Wrestlemania 20
Triple H/Austin at No Way Out '01
Austin/Benoit in Edmonton, 2001
Triple H/Cactus Jack, Royal Rumble 2000

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

triplexpac posted:

It wasn't a bad build, but it wasn't a 5 star build is all I'm saying.
WWE hasn't put on a continuous slow-burn build for awhile (the Shield breakup might qualify) but given their more or less unmatched emphasis on promos and talking segments they can, with the right people, ramp up anticipation in a pretty short time. I've been here long enough to see people get turned around on the potential of a PPV main by a go-home RAW segment on more than one occasion (leaving aside the fact that the IWC will always mark out if they feel they can get away with it).

I went to the go-home RAW for EC last year in a mild crowd in a city that only produces mild crowds, and they hyped the Shield / Wyatts matchup perfectly, shook up the crowd with the opposite-apron staredown and then popped the top when the Wyatts teleported into the middle of the big brawl over the EC. When the Wyatts and the Shield charged each other it was like somebody flipped the cheer stereo having forgotten that they'd left it on full blast. I don't remember the actual match itself being up to it (the Wyatts ended up dissolving quietly without a tag division to feed from), but at the time it was a dream.

That RAW was also the one featuring the Cena / Cesaro match that basically led to the latter's push to Mania. It was a good show, even if the crowd couldn't get into a really technical Bryan / Christian match

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Triple H/Austin at No Way Out '01
Triple H/Cactus Jack, Royal Rumble 2000
These were the two I was going to say.

HHH/Foley was probably my favourite feud of the Attitude era. The way Hunter sold Cactus's return on that one Raw was the best.
The HHH/Austin one was more great because of how it set the stage for Austin's heel turn - as far as I'm aware it was his first clean loss since 1997.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

St Evan Echoes posted:

The HHH/Austin one was more great because of how it set the stage for Austin's heel turn - as far as I'm aware it was his first clean loss since 1997.

The loss to Foley in the triple threat at Summerslam 1999 was clean.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

The loss to Foley in the triple threat at Summerslam 1999 was clean.
Foley pinned Triple H though, didn't he?

Yeah it's a clean loss I guess but he didn't eat a pin.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Just rewatched the Angle/Benoit RR '03 match to confirm that I still don't think it's particularly good. There's no real heat segment or really any build at all, just 20 minutes and back and forth go-go-go and trading huge bombs with little regard for a structure that makes the big moves mean something or actually remembering and selling anything that happened more than 30 seconds ago. The trading Germans spots especially elicit eye rolls from me. Obviously I'm in the minority there and all of that stuff is catnip to Meltzer though so...

edit: lack of selling aside, I think this might actually be the prototype for the WWE Big Match stretch run

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 11, 2015

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
What's the most over used theme in Indie wrestling?

We don't really have an indie scene around here anymore but back when we did have a lot of indie/backyard stuff in the early 00s/late 90's it seemed like it was impossible to go to a show without someone using Blood Brothers by Papa Roach as their theme. Which is weird because while I think it was a single I am only familiar with it in a general sense from THPS2 and so it seems odd that a song like that would have enough popularity to be used by a minimum of three local wrestlers.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

We don't really have an indie scene around here anymore but back when we did have a lot of indie/backyard stuff in the early 00s/late 90's it seemed like it was impossible to go to a show without someone using Blood Brothers by Papa Roach as their theme. Which is weird because while I think it was a single I am only familiar with it in a general sense from THPS2 and so it seems odd that a song like that would have enough popularity to be used by a minimum of three local wrestlers.
"Whatever" by Godsmack was used by the resident "hardcore" wrestler on any given indie from 1999 til...probably still going today, actually.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

ICHIBAHN posted:

Series 2 was where it was at. Talentless or not, I was rooting for Hawk. :smith:

It does also have the most bullshit ending where they pick Jackie Gayda and Shaniqua, and Al Snow had to defend their decision by saying "we never said it would be a guy and a girl!" (one of the guys they passed up was the future Kenny King).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Series 2 was where it was at. Talentless or not, I was rooting for Hawk. :smith:

It does also have the most bullshit ending where they pick Jackie Gayda and Shaniqua, and Al Snow had to defend their decision by saying "we never said it would be a guy and a girl!" (one of the guys they passed up was the future Kenny King).

Didn't that end with King saying something like "If I knew they could choose two girls, I never would have entered?"

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

St Evan Echoes posted:

Nope, Double Arm DDT to Austin and then the current governor of Minnesota counted Foley's pin on Steve Austin in the middle of the ring.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

St Evan Echoes posted:

Foley pinned Austin

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

triplexpac posted:

Have you gotten to HHH burying Goldberg yet? It's the best.

Yeah watched that one. God he's terrible. Trying to be legit wrestler man. Ugh. 20 minute promo about wrestling injuries to these new dudes. Terrible.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

ICHIBAHN posted:

Yeah watched that one. God he's terrible. Trying to be legit wrestler man. Ugh. 20 minute promo about wrestling injuries to these new dudes. Terrible.

With this post, you piss on this business and you piss on everyone who's ever tried to make it in this business.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
Luigi Thirty's post in the Wrestlers on Twitter thread about what Darren Young earlier tweeted/had to delete:

Luigi Thirty posted:

uhhhhhh

"@DarrenYoungWWE Why do we bring the best entertainment into a country like abu dhabi and they look down upon women and gays? I get it! #MillionsofDollars"

That got deleted and replaced with:

reminded me of something I've been wondering about for a while, what's the deal with female talent during the shows they put on in the middle east? do they wrestle or do they just never appear or what? Anyone know? I know there's different standards about what various laws in various countries apply to foreigners, I'm more wondering about what WWE does in these situations.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Black Betty

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

i've seen enough backyard wrestling to know the answer is something by ICP

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I feel like it is the Rocky theme but I might be thinking of MMA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
actually it's headstrong by trapt