Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Arrath posted:

I think we all know very drat well by now that cutting the power during a save can cause Bad Stuff.

I love seeing that message on PC games. Who the hell is just turning their computer off without shutting down or even quitting the game? And you know, you probably shouldn't do that even if the game isn't in the middle of saving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Tiggum posted:

I love seeing that message on PC games. Who the hell is just turning their computer off without shutting down or even quitting the game? And you know, you probably shouldn't do that even if the game isn't in the middle of saving.

I've had to do that a few times when a game is full screen and crashes so badly that I can't close it. Mostly Skyrim and Fallout surprise surprise.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

So I started playing Gran Turismo 6, and instead of letting you buy whatever car you can afford, it makes you buy a Honda Fit. I'm a little miffed about this since I usually like to start off with an old RX7 in these games. Also, the menus could have been designed better. Japanese game developers seem to have a fetish for needlessly complex menus. Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS also have this problem.

GT6 is fun though, and the Honda Fit is actually a pretty good starter car, so it's a minor complaint.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apotheon came out this week on PS4 and its an interesting 2D Metroidvania with a unique visual style. One mechanic the game has which is really stupid is your weapons degrade when you use them and eventually will just break. Most weapons are super generic so it doesn't matter too much but there are also special weapons that are hard to get and they suffer the same degradation and breakage. It makes it so that you can't really get excited when you find a cool weapon because you know that it'll just break after a couple of minutes of use.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Options that are not explained, especially if they're translated in a weird way; I'm playing Saint's Row 4: Re-elected and there are some options which are a complete mystery to me, so I just left them alone. Some joker also translated one of the Picture options as "Show grain" (as in, a grain of wheat, for example): I assume it means film grain effect, but really now.

Also I wish I could pull the camera a bit back, it's far too close to my character for my liking, especially since it can't evade tight spaces well.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Szurumbur posted:

Options that are not explained, especially if they're translated in a weird way; I'm playing Saint's Row 4: Re-elected and there are some options which are a complete mystery to me, so I just left them alone. Some joker also translated one of the Picture options as "Show grain" (as in, a grain of wheat, for example): I assume it means film grain effect, but really now.

Also I wish I could pull the camera a bit back, it's far too close to my character for my liking, especially since it can't evade tight spaces well.

What language is it? "Show Grain" is really something.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

You do know that you can select any case you have already completed to replay it right?

Yeah but you've still got to play through the trial and stuff. Some of them are pretty hard/I am bad at.

CJacobs posted:

The reason Pokemon games still don't let you skip the tutorial is because the games are primarily for actual children but can be played by anybody. That doesn't mean it's a kids' game but it does mean that it has to have that level of accessibility naturally built into it.

It would be nice of them to put in an option to be like "shut up old man I know what I'm doing I read my Pokemon Catching Guides back in Pokemon School" or something though. If you don't teach people how to play the game then they won't know how to play it. If you force the tutorial it will annoy people who don't need it. If you give people the OPTION of being taught how or not then it's entirely their fault if they don't learn. Most games nowadays have an option to turn off tutorial prompts or hints.

Eh, when I was 12 or so playing Pokemon Gold I was annoyed that there wasn't an option to skip it. Kids are impatient. :v:

Cuntellectual has a new favorite as of 04:41 on Feb 8, 2015

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

mycot posted:

What language is it? "Show Grain" is really something.

It's Polish - for the most part the translation is good and accurately localized, but there a few instances of an obviously lacking context to the translated text.

In a different game, InFamous 2, the "raise beam (construction beam which fell on the ground)" was translated as "raise beam (a beam of light)", so it was obvious they were given the text and little else.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
Megaman Battle Network was pretty bad about that too. The descriptions for battlechips were already pretty stilted in their translation from japanese, then they were put through some severe text length restrictions. A lot of them were impossible to decipher without just putting them in your deck and trying them out. Good examples include AntiFire: "Fire attack damages you" (aka "counterattack when the enemy uses a fire attack") or Geyser "Geyser 3 squares forward" (aka "throw a bomb that creates a geyser only if it lands in a broken panel"). I'm sure there are more that were just too mangled to recall off the top of my head.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Croc's Lair in Arkham Asylum is incredible annoying. It's a sewer level where you have to walk slowly around in a maze where there's an enemy who can one-hit kill you.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Alhazred posted:

Croc's Lair in Arkham Asylum is incredible annoying. It's a sewer level where you have to walk slowly around in a maze where there's an enemy who can one-hit kill you.

You can use the line launcher to zip around quickly without actually touching the ground.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Croc catches you if you do that.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Alhazred posted:

First playthrough of the game I loved that area because it was really, really tense. Future playthroughs it's really bad because you know exactly what the expect.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It also loses a lot of the tension in the PC version, since you can just hold down the forward key to walk at an even, unchanging pace and never have a problem whatsoever.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I vaguely remember that bit resolving in such a way that I got the feeling the whole thing was pointless. Like whatever Batman went down there for turned out to not be there, or Croc destroyed it or something. I can't remember what but something happened at the end of that bit that really rubbed in how annoying it was to me.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

2house2fly posted:

I vaguely remember that bit resolving in such a way that I got the feeling the whole thing was pointless. Like whatever Batman went down there for turned out to not be there, or Croc destroyed it or something. I can't remember what but something happened at the end of that bit that really rubbed in how annoying it was to me.

Batman got what he needed fine. What you might be thinking of is as he entered, Batman put down a large amount of explosive gel on the floor. As he was leaving Croc started chasing him and Bats blew up the floor causing Croc to fall through.

Some people like it as showing how Batman always thinks ahead, but maybe you didn't like it because why wouldn't Batman just lure Croc over it right from the start, so that he can get the thingy in peace?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
You can crouch walk which is faster than walking at any rate

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Calaveron posted:

You can crouch walk which is faster than walking at any rate

You can start sprinting for a little while after you batarang him in the collar too.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Playing through Wolfenstein: New Order for the first time and the save system is not my favorite thing at all. I really wanted to give Max Hass's his toys back and I spaced and started the next mission. I feel bad cause that dude only has half a head and really misses that fire truck, so hopefully NG+ is still fun.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

God drat the camera in Shin Megami Tensie IV is rear end. Why yes I love having to constantly tap b just to make sure I'm not gonna get shanked by some demons I can't even see because the camera wants to just chill facing the last wall I was running towards why do you ask?

Seriously, I'm loving the game so far but the camera is just so bad. Why couldn't they have at least mapped the L/R keys to camera movement? WHY?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Croc bit was such a letdown, they're building up the encounter for so long and it's a total damp squib. You just plod around for a while occasionally getting an indicator to fling a batarang at him and he disappears. It's like slapping a dog down with a newspaper.

A general complaint is that so few games have built in support for trophy stats. For stuff like MGS3 it'd be great to have a stats screen to see how many people I've killed, how many animals I've gotten, how many kerotans I found etc. Rather than waiting till the end of your playthrough hoping you got them all or killed no one. I just finished a playthrough where I killed everyone non-lethally but the game said I killed three people. Apparently if you KO them near a vulture they'll get eaten after awhile and that counts as your kill. If I had a stats screen I could have regularly checked to make sure I was on track.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

The Croc bit was such a letdown, they're building up the encounter for so long and it's a total damp squib. You just plod around for a while occasionally getting an indicator to fling a batarang at him and he disappears. It's like slapping a dog down with a newspaper.

A general complaint is that so few games have built in support for trophy stats. For stuff like MGS3 it'd be great to have a stats screen to see how many people I've killed, how many animals I've gotten, how many kerotans I found etc. Rather than waiting till the end of your playthrough hoping you got them all or killed no one. I just finished a playthrough where I killed everyone non-lethally but the game said I killed three people. Apparently if you KO them near a vulture they'll get eaten after awhile and that counts as your kill. If I had a stats screen I could have regularly checked to make sure I was on track.

I think I've found your problem right here.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

EmmyOk posted:

Here's a more important question: did you kill and eat the vulture?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

EmmyOk posted:

This probably won't help you but MGS3D did add a stats screen that tracks just that and you can check it whenever when you're playing.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Transistor: the Turn() system, which allows for tactical planning of your action during your turn. The time stops and you can do whatever and after planning the turn out the time is slowed and the heroine carries them out. The problem I have with it is that it's not very robust and it has some problems with what'll actually happen:
- the number of damage is not always consistent with what the enemies suffer from the attacks (especially if poison is involved), so I might Overkill it during the planning phase only for the enemy to actually survive
- there are attacks that move the enemy, so it might be knocked back out of your range, and the planning stage does not account for it, nor does it show the range of knockback - for the most part it's not too much of an issue, but it can be troublesome
- the enemies do move on their own, of course, once again being a nuisance
- sometimes the attack will be listed as "blocked", although by what and why is anyone's guess
- the character auto-targets opponents with not always smart choices, and there's no way to cycle through the available enemies, so you end up manually targeting anyway

Using this system is not strictly mandatory, but since you move far slower without it and the enemies don't really attack you while using it it'd be detrimental not to, but it is a cornerstone of the battle system, so for it not to be as polished as possible feels weird. Also, you slow running speed mean that sometimes you're too slow to actually evade attacks, which might be a good opportunity to use Turn() and run away, only to find it recharging and although you can use a portion of the Turn() bar, you can't use the ability if it's not fully charged.

I can compensate for the system's shortcomings and the situations in which they actually become a problem are few and far between, but they stick out in my mind, since you spend about 80% of the game fighting.

I'll still finish the recursive mode, though, since I'm interested in what happens next.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It's in beta so maybe it'll change by release, but it sort of bugs me that you can't pick your team in Battlefield: Hardline. I didn't mind not being able to in 3 and 4 since all teams played pretty much the same, with the CoD4-style thing where guns weren't locked to a particular team and both team's objectives were pretty much identical, but Hardline's gone back to having different guns locked in to different teams. Not only that, but with the new Heist mode, cops and criminals actually play pretty differently, with one side trying to break into a bank and steal a package while the other just tries to kill them before they can. It'd be nice to be able to pick the side that actually uses the new gun I just bought, or be able to choose to play as the robbers just because I think their objective is more fun.

Also, Heist mode is pretty badly balanced, with the cops being able to send the loot all the way back to the vault just by standing near it for a few seconds so the criminals never win, but that's what beta is for, I guess.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Anatharon posted:

Sometimes when I've beaten a game like Pheonix Wright I just want to play it again for the story but there's no option to do that. :saddowns:

And here I was, thinking that the thing dragging Phoenix Wright games down would be an utter lack of replay value.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

YeahTubaMike posted:

And here I was, thinking that the thing dragging Phoenix Wright games down would be an utter lack of replay value.

It's like a book. You read it again awhile down the line.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

It's in beta so maybe it'll change by release, but it sort of bugs me that you can't pick your team in Battlefield: Hardline. I didn't mind not being able to in 3 and 4 since all teams played pretty much the same, with the CoD4-style thing where guns weren't locked to a particular team and both team's objectives were pretty much identical, but Hardline's gone back to having different guns locked in to different teams. Not only that, but with the new Heist mode, cops and criminals actually play pretty differently, with one side trying to break into a bank and steal a package while the other just tries to kill them before they can. It'd be nice to be able to pick the side that actually uses the new gun I just bought, or be able to choose to play as the robbers just because I think their objective is more fun.

Also, Heist mode is pretty badly balanced, with the cops being able to send the loot all the way back to the vault just by standing near it for a few seconds so the criminals never win, but that's what beta is for, I guess.

You can choose your team as long as it won't stack the other team, you just can't pick which one you'll join the server on. Go to the Team tab at the top where you choose what squad to be in, there's a Switch Teams button on the bottom left. Also I found that the game would let me use weapons on the wrong team if I just tried twice (in battlelog it still let me equip a robbers-only weapon on cops for example, and it would revert it to the default cops weapon for one game but then if I did it again I could use the weapon on either team. Battlefield!)

I will be amazed if they ever make heist not be a mess though. It's like the worst parts of Rush mode combined with call of duty gameplay.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Junpei Hyde posted:

It's like a book. You read it again awhile down the line.

I don't like rereading books or rewatching movies. I might be kind of weird.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The giant bosses in Hyrule Warriors are completely awful. If they were simply removed from the game it would be the best musou, in my opinion. But you have to fight them somewhat frequently and it suuuuucks.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Slime posted:

I think I've found your problem right here.

I was reading this thinking you were dumb, then I realised I was the dumb idiot :smith: Non-lethally incapacitated them is the correct term I suppose!

LoonShia posted:

Here's a more important question: did you kill and eat the vulture?

I didn't know vultures ate people so I left them unkilled! I did sleep dart one but you can't put them in a cage so I didn't know you could eat them

ChaosArgate posted:

This probably won't help you but MGS3D did add a stats screen that tracks just that and you can check it whenever when you're playing.

So why didn't you add it to the HD collection, Kojimaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

EmmyOk posted:

So why didn't you add it to the HD collection, Kojimaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

They didn't add anything to the HD collection. It's just flat out the PS2 version of Subsistence with a few things taken out. The 3DS version is the version they added stuff to. I don't get it either. :shrug:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

The Moon Monster posted:

The giant bosses in Hyrule Warriors are completely awful. If they were simply removed from the game it would be the best musou, in my opinion. But you have to fight them somewhat frequently and it suuuuucks.

This is true. If your doing mission mode or whatever, I found that Wizzro is the best for fighting bosses. His little twirl/fireball spam will out right destroy the stamina gauge in seconds (you may need the digging mitts though). Shiek is also a good choice because she can re-fill her yellow bar thing so you can easily land in three of those big attacks that should leave the gauge pretty much empty.

Also, if you do a focus spirit attack on a boss, or character, it will bring up their weak-point gauge instantly.
(And by that I mean the move where you hit A to end it early. I don't think it works on the imprisoned though because he is the worst.)

scarycave has a new favorite as of 00:43 on Feb 10, 2015

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

You can choose your team as long as it won't stack the other team, you just can't pick which one you'll join the server on. Go to the Team tab at the top where you choose what squad to be in, there's a Switch Teams button on the bottom left. Also I found that the game would let me use weapons on the wrong team if I just tried twice (in battlelog it still let me equip a robbers-only weapon on cops for example, and it would revert it to the default cops weapon for one game but then if I did it again I could use the weapon on either team. Battlefield!)

I will be amazed if they ever make heist not be a mess though. It's like the worst parts of Rush mode combined with call of duty gameplay.

:monocle: I had no idea, in every other team shooter I've played team select was just something you did right before spawning in the first time, I never thought to start looking around in the tabs. Thanks!

And yeah, I think there's a couple things that can be done to make heist better (making it so the police have to physically carry the loot back to the vault instead of just standing next to it for five seconds and presto change-o it's gone so the criminals have a chance to take it back without fighting all the way through to the vault again, or so criminals can spawn in on the loot carrier like you can with your squadmates so he's not isolated while the rest of the robbers are halfway across the map after respawning), but as it is I'm just kind of resigned to the fact that the police are going to win literally every time after a long pointless slog.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

scarycave posted:

This is true. If your doing mission mode or whatever, I found that Wizzro is the best for fighting bosses. His little twirl/fireball spam will out right destroy the stamina gauge in seconds (you may need the digging mitts though). Shiek is also a good choice because she can re-fill her yellow bar thing so you can easily land in three of those big attacks that should leave the gauge pretty much empty.

Also, if you do a focus spirit attack on a boss, or character, it will bring up their weak-point gauge instantly.
(And by that I mean the move where you hit A to end it early. I don't think it works on the imprisoned though because he is the worst.)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that this is true, and also that you can't take off more than half of the weak-point gauge per cycle. Not that it's hard, but that it just automatically gets up. All this on a giant boss that already has a lot of health relative to the others, and is harder to avoid taking hits from. If I had a choice between fighting two of the final boss simultaneously and two of the Imprisoned, I'd really rather do the final boss.

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008

YeahTubaMike posted:

I don't like rereading books or rewatching movies. I might be kind of weird.

Not even Die Hard???!!!???!!!???

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
COD:AW you give me a goddamn double jump and then make it so I can't jump up to the top of any loving map. Every time I go hey cool I can cut through here INVISIBLE loving WALL no you cant stay on the ground pubbie. All this game does is make me want to play Titanfall more.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Drakengard 3 admitting you have terrible sections of gameplay does not excuse it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Has a game ever said, "Sewer levels suck. No joke. We won't put you through one." The sewers in The Stick of Truth were annoying to navigate but at least there were no respawning enemies.