Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

but...that's not what he said.... :wth:

lmao quote edits are so wacky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

The Mattybee posted:

What would be the ideal ways for you to mine, Starbound thread?

I want the mod thing I have to not just expand the MM options but to add other mining things.

This is racist

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
Did they rearrange the planet/biome frequency somehow? I seem to remember tree and background types that I'm not seeing anymore. Otherwise, I'm pretty pleased with this on whole.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Hey the goon server people are alluding to, anyone happen to know the address? Sorry if I missed it and am stupid.

Umph fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 10, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I play as a Hylotl but please don't misconstrue this as me wanting to be a homosexual merperson. tia.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008
Games > Starbound: a warm and welcoming community of Lamars!

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Crono S. Magnum posted:

Games > Starbound: a warm and welcoming community of Lamars!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

nutranurse posted:

are people in this thread really getting mad at a guy getting mad at the starbound devs for something stupid?

really?

really?
Yes everyone here is interchangeable and their posting a homogooneous mass,,

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lots of loathe

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

nutranurse posted:

are people in this thread really getting mad ...

really?

really?

just you

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i am extremely angry... that no one has bought me a copy of this fine looking game yet

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

Umph posted:

Hey the goon server people are alluding to, anyone happen to know the address? Sorry if I missed it and am stupid.

http://baddadsyndro.me/sbserver.php

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

For those people looking for a different way to mine some tunnels, here's a simple mining laser I made:

Mining Laser

It clears out anything in it's way in a 4 block radius, just tall enough for you to walk through. It's currently pretty overpowered as you can craft it at the first crafting table for 5 pixels, and it uses no energy so you can fire it forever. I wasn't going for balance, so for now it's just a toy for those of you who are looking to get their mining done a little quicker and in a fun manner. Use with caution, as it will destroy any ores in it's path.

It doesn't do any damage to NPCs, though, so don't try to use it as a weapon.

nvm no cake fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 11, 2015

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm at the end game, and have the max level ship. I still feel durasteel is too expensive to build an interesting skyrail system.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/iron-skyrail.2614/

I dunno how to unlock specific tech earlier, and I can't think of anyway to change the skyrail tech into an item. Maybe i'll figure that out later.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I think it would be great if you could build one of the drills from the mining facility and just have it go straight down, all the way to the core if you let it. I mostly just want to be able to jump in a pit big enough to activate my boat, falling all the way down to the core. Speaking of, how hard would it be to mod it so that moons have moon goo center?

I'm also really sick of running into obsidian/blastrock, "here have these blocks that take forever to dig through even with the strongest mining equipment, just because. We aren't just blindly copying quirks of other block games by the way."

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Go into "\tiles\materials\" and lower the health of all the blocks that take too long. Then post the mod up so I can use it.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Just put out an update to my Science mod that contains the gels I mentioned earlier, along with power devices that generate/use power via the wire system.
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/science.2466/

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

I Said No posted:

Just put out an update to my Science mod that contains the gels I mentioned earlier, along with power devices that generate/use power via the wire system.
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/science.2466/

Oh wow, activated char/coal as a consumable. That's actually a really drat good idea. I'm assuming it works as a cheap antidote? One of the reasons the game feels so linear right now is that so many items only have a single use. Giving items a second or third function helps contribute to the feeling that you're actually able to choose what you want to do in the game, and not just following a set path that has been laid out for you by the developer.

Speaking of chemistry - does anyone know if clay always spawns on the starter planet? I know it sometimes does, but does it always?

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

The Mattybee posted:

What would be the ideal ways for you to mine, Starbound thread?

Huge Orbital Excavator. A spaceship-scale matter manipulator that takes screen-sized chunks out of the ground, and siphons all the dirt and pieces into the sky. Vacuums up trees, oceans, indigenous houses, whatever. Deposits the stuff into an arbitrarily large container built into the ship.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

XboxPants posted:

Oh wow, activated char/coal as a consumable. That's actually a really drat good idea. I'm assuming it works as a cheap antidote? One of the reasons the game feels so linear right now is that so many items only have a single use. Giving items a second or third function helps contribute to the feeling that you're actually able to choose what you want to do in the game, and not just following a set path that has been laid out for you by the developer.

Speaking of chemistry - does anyone know if clay always spawns on the starter planet? I know it sometimes does, but does it always?

It would be nice if you could combine dirt+water to get clay. Plenty of both to go around.

I also wish Dry Sand could be turned into glass, god damnit arid worlds :argh:

While I am still insane and try to play close to vanilla in many things, I am a sucker for an assortment of QoL tweaks or similar things that leave the game basically Vanilla+ Still need to go out and do things, but taking the edge off the drudgery for the sake of drudgery or complete reliance on the RNG. Or simply just fixing things that are or at least feel broken (Old Stable, my only mod was one that fixed Farmables, making them both grow at all when you were offplanet)

Right now I got No Fall damage, Glowing ore, Descriptive foods, Seed Machine, and Item Broadcaster installed but not used yet.
EDIT: Though I constantly flip on Admin mode to give myself more pixels so I can shove more things into the 3D printer and scan them. And did break down and go "gently caress it, cheating myself a Prison sign" because of how many worlds traveled without ever seeing a prison, gently caress you RNG reliant gameplay.

On the subject of little use items, oh huh, turns out Plutonium is needed for the next to last ship upgrade. You know, after it asked you for Uranium. Methinks that's a bit backwards.

Just make Plutonium/titaium needed for the first ship size upgraded instead of Uranium/titanium, and that pacing would make a lot more sense. Though Steel/Plutonium for the first size upgrade would be nice after so long loving around with the tiny ship and finishing off the whole "From a barely working scrap heap, to something nice that can travel the stars".

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 11, 2015

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Trying to find the 3rd tier ship upgrade quest items (avian moon, glitch codex) without just googling coords is proving to be really loving tedious. I'm not sure if there is a pattern or any reliable way to 'legitimately' discover the proper ruins besides speed grinding planets.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

In non-merchandise related news, today's nightly looks like it has a new "Swamp" biome in it as an additional secondary biome for terrestrial worlds besides just the huge flowers, kinda cool addition. Not a ton in it so far - has its own liquid, new trees, some new textures, etc.

It'd be nice if they were making dev blog posts instead of making us dig through file diffs for this stuff. :sigh: Hire another PR person or something, it's not like they're lacking for money.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That's always been a big problem with the nightlies. For a long time there weren't even changelogs. There still might not be any.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I found this site which seems to be an up-to-date database of planets that's searchable by what you're looking for...except my game hangs when I try to put any kind of coordinates into my nav console, unless i put them in really slowly.

Hunter Noventa fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 12, 2015

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Finally making progress on dumb mod ideas again; painfully, agonizingly slow progress.

About halfway done with the ships at least.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Ooh, nice. Like the way the new areas get added in there.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Hunter Noventa posted:

I found this site which seems to be an up-to-date database of planets that's searchable by what you're looking for...except my game hangs when I try to put any kind of coordinates into my nav console, unless i put them in really slowly.

I havent gotten a single one of these to work. If the coordinates even lead me to a planet its never the right one.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Hunter Noventa posted:

The new stable (it didn't before) actually generates new sections of map for every individual keystroke you enter. Protip, if you're on multiplayer, you can even use this to effectively run a ghetto-DoS since this very quickly eats up all the CPU cycles, by just mashing the keyboard as fast as you can and bring down the entire server!

Best of all, since you can end up crashing the entire machine, this means if it's a VPS, and there's a bunch of other people also hosting servers on the same box, you can crash everyone's server simultaneously! It's win-win for everyone! :haw:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

XboxPants posted:

The new stable (it didn't before) actually generates new sections of map for every individual keystroke you enter. Protip, if you're on multiplayer, you can even use this to effectively run a ghetto-DoS since this very quickly eats up all the CPU cycles, by just mashing the keyboard as fast as you can and bring down the entire server!

Best of all, since you can end up crashing the entire machine, this means if it's a VPS, and there's a bunch of other people also hosting servers on the same box, you can crash everyone's server simultaneously! It's win-win for everyone! :haw:

Servers get

Starbowned.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Holy poo poo, I can't wait to crash a starbound server like I'm hacking the mainframe in an action movie.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

KoB posted:

I havent gotten a single one of these to work. If the coordinates even lead me to a planet its never the right one.

The coordinates are based on what OS you're using. If you and the person who uploaded those aren't using the same operating system, you won't end up at the same planetary system. Since that site doesn't seem to have a field to list or submit what OS their coords are for, it's effectively just a massive waste of space.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

XboxPants posted:

I'm sorry, what?

I honestly can't tell if you are making that up or not.

XboxPants posted:

The coordinates are based on what OS you're using. If you and the person who uploaded those aren't using the same operating system, you won't end up at the same planetary system. Since that site doesn't seem to have a field to list or submit what OS their coords are for, it's effectively just a massive waste of space.

Doesn't that kind of ruin the whole point of coordinates. What the hell

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I think it's still relatively useful if you're on windows 7, since that's what a majority of people are using, I tried a few from that site and all of them worked so :shrug:.

Does anyone know how I could modify the light rig in the files to be more bright and just not use energy? As it is I have trouble telling if it's even on most of the time with a glowing helmet on, and I don't really have much use for the other body techs when I'm using blink.

e: also, does anyone know how the enhanced storage mod works if you join a vanilla server? does it just vanish all of the items in the extra slots?

e2::coffee:

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 12, 2015

milward
Nov 5, 2009

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what determines where monsters can spawn? Is there any modded item to remove monster spawns?

I just got back into Starbound and I want to "terraform" my starting planet into a planetwide building/farm/glass dome, including removing the monsters from it so I have something to do with all the blocks I get from my excursions into space and because I like mega-projects.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Is dye not currently craftable? I'm trying to actually clear out the quests and I need red dye for the kennel, but I've searched for dye on each crafting station to no avail.

Mantees
Oct 24, 2008
Soo.. how mature and fun is the game now, following the winter update, compared to Terraria? I am going to have a bit of time for playing one of the two but can't decide which one

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I'd recommend just playing starbound for an hour or two, get a feel for the stuff that has been added, if you like it up to that point then keep playing, otherwise terraria is probably better. Starbound is still quite unfinished, but many people, including me, find what was added in the winter update to be pretty fun.

Also I just used admin to spawn my red dye, I spent enough time trying to find it that I don't feel bad doing so.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Terraria is much more polished and feature-complete, with a smoother progression and some very challenging endgame boss battles to bang your head against.

Starbound in its current form is a considerably chiller game imho. It's really open-ended and beyond a certain point you just kinda contentedly wander the galaxy exploring and making weird food and collecting interesting things. It's relaxing and a good way to unwind.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Angry Diplomat posted:

It's really open-ended and beyond a certain point you just kinda contentedly wander the galaxy exploring and making weird food and collecting interesting things. It's relaxing and a good way to unwind.

How do you say this with a straight face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Afraid of Audio posted:

How do you say this with a straight face.

I dunno, because when I'm home from work and the kid's been put to bed I like to zone out and chill around collecting and building space stuff for an hour or two? It's certainly a more laid-back experience than Terraria, where every biome has infinitely-spawning hostile monsters, your NPCs are constantly being murdered if you don't build them into a flying bomb shelter, bosses randomly spawn to attack you, and then you activate Hardmode and everything is suffering and death until you scrape together some good gear in between getting slaughtered by mechanical bosses.

Your mileage may vary, of course. I find Starbound a good low-key, "I don't feel like worrying about anything right now" game because you can stop whatever content-unlocking thing you're doing and just dick around looking for vanity items on a colourful planet full of flowers and goofy smiling aliens while relaxing music plays in the background, and if you don't like that planet, there are infinity more planets to go to. You don't starve to death anymore, monsters don't continually spawn to attack you in neutral areas like your ship or the station, if you want to spend an hour gutting and redecorating your ship then you can do that, and if you want to run around fighting poo poo in a bloodyminded attempt to build an idyllic cottage in radioactive poison death hell, you can do that too.

Different strokes :shobon:

• Locked thread