Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

$35K / year
12 hour days
Brooks Brothers suits

Brooks Brothers suits and the cost of living of NYC for $12/hour. I get that it's $4/hour over the state minimum wage, but that employer has champagne taste on a beer budget.

I can rock a Brooks Brothers suit, but I also better be paid to do it. For that payscale, you're looking at cargo jeans, sandals with socks, and wacky tshirts from thinkgeek...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

flosofl posted:

What controller is it? Most of the ones I connect to have a CLI I ssh into which is vastly superior to use (MotorolaZebra and Cisco)

Motorola :eng99:

I managed to get into it with SSH and I don't even think the network guy knows/cares about doing that, but the browser interface has been fighting me like crazy. No, I MUST have Java 1.47 or something, nothing else will do. gently caress Java. I don't know what to do with the SSH interface honestly, so I'm going to leave it alone. It's only the public SSID acting up, so I don't really care.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

sfwarlock posted:

I can rock a Brooks Brothers suit, but I also better be paid to do it. For that payscale, you're looking at cargo jeans, sandals with socks, and wacky tshirts from thinkgeek...

Given the way BB suits are cut, the crowd that usually wears cargo pants fits perfectly. Go with suitsupply if you want a modern looking suit and you're not fat

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Thanks Ants posted:

I was laughing until it got to the bit about a 12 hour day being so normal that it wasn't even a thing to ever mention and then :stare:

To be fair it technically says "12 hour days are for wimps".

They're right. If you can't stand up to your boss and enforce a work/life balance then you're a wimp.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

skooma512 posted:

Motorola :eng99:

I managed to get into it with SSH and I don't even think the network guy knows/cares about doing that, but the browser interface has been fighting me like crazy. No, I MUST have Java 1.47 or something, nothing else will do. gently caress Java. I don't know what to do with the SSH interface honestly, so I'm going to leave it alone. It's only the public SSID acting up, so I don't really care.

Based on the browser error you describe, it sounds like it's running WING4 and you're better off using the GUI. WING4 is nearing EOL if I recall, and while it works it's like a child's toy compared to WING 5. I'll see if I can pull up the JVM settings I needed to get it to work (for the certificate thing). If you still have support and are not using old APs like AP300s or AP5131s you can probably do an upgrade from 4 to 5. Takes a little planning, since the configuration is much different.

And technically, it's Zebra now :) Motorola is almost all gone. Mobile and home products division sold off a few years ago and the Enterprise Solutions (all things WiFi) was just sold to Zebra right around Oct-Nov last year. What remains is government and public safety (radio systems), and their stock just went up about $2 over the weekend after they said they're cutting that up and putting it up for sale. They got gutted by several mobile phone flops in a row (never recaptured that RAZR mojo) and could never recover.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poo poo that pisses me off: Aruba VisualRF Plan. Its rotting corpse is a crime against humanity made of Adobe Flash and Java. When you launch it in compatibility mode it will actually launch in an IE browser window and while accepting any picture or document format as a valid floorplan any file bigger than 2MB will make it poo poo itself.
I'm pretty sure the heatmaps for wifi it generates are as reliable as the nigerian princes that email me with great opportunities.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

F:\UserDATA\NAME\can del after 10 days'\NAME Backup Nov 2008 by NAME\NAME Backup\c\Lotus\Notes\nminder.exe

(yes all the NAME's are the same person)

Everything about that is amazing. I've been trying to get a guy to delete all traces of nminder.exe off the network because it's loving up a bunch of reports. He says it's done, I spent exactly one second looking at a machine in question and see this wonderful result.

I'd kill it myself if I could actually get to the machine in question, but instead I have to email someone half way round the world and tell them to do it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

HR Lady came down, took my AS/400 guy (old geezer) to setup a VCR in the conference room so everyone can be subjected to this terrible 1980's Management/Marketing VHS tape collection.

Of course he's a moron and can't set it up, so after a half hour she comes in to get my helpdesk guy to do it. Ugh.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

MisterOblivious posted:

"I need a corporal. You're it until you're dead or I find someone better."

We should do a crossover of the Malazan thread and this one more often. Both are full of melancholy, depression, and gallows humor.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

loving crazy person job offer.

Given the types of clients and how much secrecy he purports to need, it sounds like he needs somebody to do a bunch of illegal/questionably legal stuff. Maybe I'm just not in the know about job postings in NYC these days but it seems like i fyou're gonna get your rear end in trouble with the law while wearing an over-expensive suit that you should be paid a whole heal of a lot more.

You should apply and if you manage a phone/irl interview the very first question you should ask is if they're gonna buy the suit for you.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

And helpdesk guy doesn't know about coax and setting the TV to channel 3/4 to get a VCR to work.

:bravo:

I fixed everything

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Bob Morales posted:

And helpdesk guy doesn't know about coax and setting the TV to channel 3/4 to get a VCR to work.

I fixed everything

So was this a case of VCRs being after the old man's time and being before the helpdesk guy? Are you the right age for this goldilocks VCR?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Bob Morales posted:

I fixed everything

Sounds like both the old man and the helpdesk guy know how to get out of being the office bitch. Tell them to hook up their own vcr.

Who am I kidding. They are both just retarded I am sure.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Garrand posted:

So was this a case of VCRs being after the old man's time and being before the helpdesk guy? Are you the right age for this goldilocks VCR?

Jim kept saying it's got red and white
I kept telling him that red and white is for audio
it does't have the yellow video port.

They were trying to use RCA cables and told the HR lady to find an older TV. She's been on my rear end lately so I dug around and found a cable, old guy tried to steal it from me.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Wow. It shouldn't surprise me. But I am still a bit wowed that there are people left yet that can't figure out a loving VCR.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

5er posted:

Wow. It shouldn't surprise me. But I am still a bit wowed that there are people left yet that can't figure out a loving VCR.

Why bother when you can just whine to IT and have them do it?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

They were playing the strategic incompetence card so nobody has to be exposed to a horrible VCR tape in the future and you ruined it. It's you. You're that guy.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

They were playing the strategic incompetence card so nobody has to be exposed to a horrible VCR tape in the future and you ruined it. It's you. You're that guy.

I saved them from lugging a 32" CRT out of the attic.

Update: Some of the movies are betamax. omg

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bob Morales posted:

I saved them from lugging a 32" CRT out of the attic.

Update: Some of the movies are betamax. omg

Is any of this stuff by Video Arts? Because John Cleese produced management training videos are actually not too bad to sit through.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Morning class: DHCP for IPv4 and IPv6, from a Cisco/generic point of view. Usefulness level: :eng101:

Afternoon class: DHCP for IPv4 (wtf is an IPv6) from a Windows Server 2012 point of view and only WS2012 (because why wouldn't you save VM resources by letting the router do it for you). Usefulness level: :downsgun:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Why would you EVER run DHCP from your windows server, that's insane

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

mewse posted:

Maybe you just really love spending money for CALs for every single device on your network?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

LordVorbis posted:

F:\UserDATA\NAME\can del after 10 days'\NAME Backup Nov 2008 by NAME\NAME Backup\c\Lotus\Notes\nminder.exe

(yes all the NAME's are the same person)

Everything about that is amazing. I've been trying to get a guy to delete all traces of nminder.exe off the network because it's loving up a bunch of reports. He says it's done, I spent exactly one second looking at a machine in question and see this wonderful result.

I'd kill it myself if I could actually get to the machine in question, but instead I have to email someone half way round the world and tell them to do it.

Can you push a script or something of that ilk to scan and delete that file?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mewse posted:

Dunno, but it's a big enough part of 70-411 that I am dreading the semester final project because I have a feeling we're going to be spending days trying to get WS2012 to hand out DHCP without making GBS threads all over the Cisco routers.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

Dunno, but it's a big enough part of 70-411 that I am dreading the semester final project because I have a feeling we're going to be spending days trying to get WS2012 to hand out DHCP without making GBS threads all over the Cisco routers.

I would think block reservations and correct scopes should handle this.

Still sounds like a poo poo show though.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
the guys in charge of ntp config just sent out a huge change to every server in our farm.

Every NTP config now starts with:
restrict 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 ignore

rolleyes.

Really need to :toot: before I catch the stupidity disease here.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

m.hache posted:

I would think block reservations and correct scopes should handle this.

Still sounds like a poo poo show though.

From the lab we did about DHCP relay agents (also in 70-411 :suicide:) that breaks down pretty quick even without Cisco DHCP being thrown into the mix.

I hope to loving $deity I never work for a company that does Windows Server DHCP, let alone mixing it with DHCP on the routers.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

From the lab we did about DHCP relay agents (also in 70-411 :suicide:) that breaks down pretty quick even without Cisco DHCP being thrown into the mix.

I hope to loving $deity I never work for a company that does Windows Server DHCP, let alone mixing it with DHCP on the routers.

Conflicting DHCP is a nightmare but just using a Windows Server DHCP is pretty solid. I haven't run into any problems with it at all.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

mewse posted:

uh thats not insane at all

e: Unless this is a special case or something? On a windows network having your windows server do things isn't a bad thing

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
again with the Windows DHCP crap? I thought this was a fine configuration in most cases?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

pofcorn posted:

again with the Windows DHCP crap? I thought this was a fine configuration in most cases?

It is.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Pissing me off: Two datacenters, one in the same building as our office, one in a remote location 45 minutes away. Pretty much identical setups in both. Nine out of ten hardware failures will be in the remote dc.

At least there's a good pub along the route.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
"Blah Blah VIP coming!, Needs a spot for private phone calls. Blah Blah he may need to log into the phone, but if so I'd be happy to give him my password."

What the poo poo.

And someone ok'd it.

fromoutofnowhere fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 10, 2015

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
last month:
:bigtran: WE ARENT GOING TO PAY YOUR INFLATED PRICES FOR DEDICATED DATABASE BACKUPS!@#@!#$!@ WE WILL DO OUR OWN#@!$#@!%@#%!!!!!!!
:boom:

Today:
:bigtran: EVERY NIGHT AT MIDNIGHT OUR DATABASE FREEZES! FIX IT!!@#!@#%$@!#%

So I go and look for any reoccuring jobs that run at midnight. What do I find?

code:
mysqldump --lock-all-tables --all-databases [their login and password info for their mysql root user] >/BACKUPS.dump
so I explain:

:eng101: "lock all tables" will basically pause the database until the dmp is completed. You have about 250gb of stuff on these databases, so that takes a while."
:bigtran: Well you need to make that not happen, we can't handle anymore downtime.

:negative:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

nitrogen posted:

Really need to :toot: before I catch the stupidity disease here.

We have a customer who can't do things for themselves without causing problems, don't want to pay for a support contract, and don't want to pay the hourly rate for customers who aren't covered by a contract.

I mean you'd think this isn't a problem since that makes them not a customer and therefore not our responsibility, but now throw a company director who hates to 'lose a sale' into the mix and it gets really interesting. I think the current plan is to just support them in the hope they will sign a contract, which is causing our helpdesk team to drink heavily.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 10, 2015

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

nitrogen posted:

last month:
:bigtran: WE ARENT GOING TO PAY YOUR INFLATED PRICES FOR DEDICATED DATABASE BACKUPS!@#@!#$!@ WE WILL DO OUR OWN#@!$#@!%@#%!!!!!!!

Today:

So I go and look for any reoccuring jobs that run at midnight. What do I find?

code:
mysqldump --lock-all-tables --all-databases [their login and password info for their mysql root user] >/BACKUPS.dump
so I explain:

:eng101: "lock all tables" will basically pause the database until the dmp is completed. You have about 250gb of stuff on these databases, so that takes a while."
:bigtran: Well you need to make that not happen, we can't handle anymore downtime.

:negative:

Send them the quote you sent them last month.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

nitrogen posted:

last month:

Today:

Please tell me these are verbatim.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

mewse posted:

I can't tell if this was a sarcastic post referencing the last slapfight we all had about this when we told Zero VGS he was an idiot for running DHCP on the routers, or whether you seriously meant this and we should have the slapfight again.

Either way:

--DHCP on routers - basically hidden from view unless you're on the network team (so your server team has no visibility into leases etc), need another entire router for redundancy
--Server 2012 R2 DHCP + failover - piece of cake to set up, run on separate VMs on separate VM hosts for redundancy, ties into AD DNS nicely, even helpdesk can have visibility into it depending on how you set things up, if you're already running AD there's basically no reason to add more complexity by having the DHCP piece on completely separate expensive machines

--fighting about this on an internet forum: we're all idiots for continuing this derail

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Dear all,

Stop making windows vm's with system drives that are too large. No, they don't need to be more than 60 gigs. Yes, Seperate data drives make more sense. Yes, it does matter.

My boss decided to setup a vm today on his own (bored i guess?) and made the system drive 500 gigs. It doesn't break 96% used. Guess which sets of drives he wants this on? If you guessed the fastest we have, you guessed right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

m.hache posted:

Send them the quote you sent them last month.

Adjusted for inflation.