Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Jonny 290 posted:

a lot of them are simple hurdles that scare off the idiots, but get cut through easily with even the most rudimentary of lawyers

i mean if you as an employer had the opportunity to add a page that says "You promise to not say anything bad or we'll sue", the cost is near nil to add that, and if you see a 70% reduction in grumbly ex-employee disparagement online, you just won. the same 1% that would sue you for whatever whatever are still going to sue you, they'll laugh and walk right through that contract, but you're still ahead

what about those binding arbitration agreements that say you agree to only sue us by having a lawyer we hire decide if we owe you money

if those are are so much piss for a lawyer to walk through then yay

e: and wait a minute what about the people that try to blow a whistle with a news interview on some bullshit but would violate that clause doing so

Twinty Zuleps fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Wulfolme posted:

what about those binding arbitration agreements that say you agree to only sue us by having a lawyer we hire decide if we owe you money

if those are are so much piss for a lawyer to walk through then yay

e: and wait a minute what about the people that try to blow a whistle with a news interview on some bullshit but would violate that clause doing so

mandatory binding arbitration agreements for employees are generally legal, though judges might throw them out if they're too obviously, blatantly, overwhelmingly fair.

i've never heard of any us law protecting people who blow the whistle to the media. as far as i know, us whistleblower laws only protect you when you complain to the appropriate government agency for whatever conduct you're reporting. if you go public with the info, that's not protected whistleblowing and you're facing the consequences (including getting sued for breaking an nda or other binding agreement) on your own

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I received unemployment after being fired for a legitimate reason from a job where I had been employed for less than 90 days in an at will state. From a different state (also at will) than the one I was employed in.

Not sure how I pulled that one off :toot:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

why does your employer have any say in whether or not you can claim unemployment?

oh right, america.txt

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

annapacketstormaya posted:

I received unemployment after being fired for a legitimate reason from a job where I had been employed for less than 90 days in an at will state. From a different state (also at will) than the one I was employed in.

Not sure how I pulled that one off :toot:

some places just don't give a poo poo and don't bother contesting. maybe the HR person resents the company and is silently screwing them over, or maybe they're swamped and don't have time to deal with the appeal. or maybe they've just arbitrarily canned so many people or lost enough appeals that they'd really have to hate someone to bother putting in the effort for an appeal.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Sweevo posted:

why does your employer have any say in whether or not you can claim unemployment?

oh right, america.txt

because if you lost your job there must be something wrong with you and we dont give money for nothing you know!!!!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

saw this listing while looking for hotels near zion

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3720802

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

then why do you press it when asking where they're from? cool, so you think they're lying. good for you, it's still rude as poo poo to say so, especially to someone you've known for maybe thirty seconds

I don't actually talk to total strangers IRL without good reason and can't think of a time I've actually done what you're saying. I was lampooning the idea that only a racist shitheel would ask where someone is really from, because I hadn't considered that people regularly and abruptly get asked that in order to pigeonhole them. When I ask where someone is really from, I'm already familiar with them and it's to talk about the etymology their name (onomastics ftw), places, food, etc so it seemed a bit ridiculous that this was now racist.

One of my YOSPOS/greyforum posting styles is to find instances of care and escalate them with the goal of exposing some kind of funny neurosis/echo chamber ideology to laugh about. I'd already done it ITT. I'll even say Apple is bad (it's good), or Windows 8.1 is fine (it really is), or JavaScript is good (could be worse), or chip+pin is bad (it's good) to facilitate this. Occasionally, the care is justified, someone actually makes a compelling point, and I learn something, which is a pleasant surprise. This win/win strategy of lulz generation will still be effective even though I've laid it out in this serious post. It makes YOSPOS' whiny megathread culture fun for me. Now cram it, noob.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

emoji posted:

I don't actually talk to total strangers IRL without good reason and can't think of a time I've actually done what you're saying. I was lampooning the idea that only a racist shitheel would ask where someone is really from, because I hadn't considered that people regularly and abruptly get asked that in order to pigeonhole them. When I ask where someone is really from, I'm already familiar with them and it's to talk about the etymology their name (onomastics ftw), places, food, etc so it seemed a bit ridiculous that this was now racist.

One of my YOSPOS/greyforum posting styles is to find instances of care and escalate them with the goal of exposing some kind of funny neurosis/echo chamber ideology to laugh about. I'd already done it ITT. I'll even say Apple is bad (it's good), or Windows 8.1 is fine (it really is), or JavaScript is good (could be worse), or chip+pin is bad (it's good) to facilitate this. Occasionally, the care is justified, someone actually makes a compelling point, and I learn something, which is a pleasant surprise. This win/win strategy of lulz generation will still be effective even though I've laid it out in this serious post. It makes YOSPOS' whiny megathread culture fun for me. Now cram it, noob.

jesus christ what happened to you

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
god what a dipshit

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Thesoro posted:

god what a dipshit

lol he still outranks you

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

anyway, chome

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Would you say you think of other posters as puppets

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

As a Millennial I posted:

jesus christ what happened to you

I'm only going to make sincere posts from now on.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

please observe all branding and marketing guidelines when choosing a posting style

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

emoji posted:

i've tried this and it just never sticks. can't help myself

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

a great way to establish that you're not racist is to complain that something you enjoy "is now racist"

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

emoji posted:

no, my gimmick!!!!!!!!!!

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

THC posted:

a great way to establish that you're not racist is to complain that something you enjoy "is now racist"

wow this is so problematic

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

THC posted:

i used to enjoy tiramisu but then it got all racist, ranting from my plate about all of the mexicans in the kitchen.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sweevo posted:

oh right, america.txt

because the amount of unemployment tax a business pays depends a lot on how many of their ex-employees are on unemployment, and because if you made unemployment available to everyone businesses would whine that they were being "punished" for firing "bad" workers and americans would immediately overturn it

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

THC posted:

I never said I didn't have racist thoughts. As far as I can tell, I just said that asking about origins isn't necessarily racist, but it can be taken that way in unfamiliar contexts. I could easily be racist without going through all that effort.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

maybe racism is bad?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hmm maybe when a story's lacking details everybody fills in the blanks based on their own experience and then spends pages arguing about their own interpretation, and that's why everybody can't loving understand why somebody else would have a different opinion

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

what have i done

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

emoji posted:

I never said I didn't have racist thoughts. As far as I can tell, I just said that asking about origins isn't necessarily racist, but it can be taken that way in unfamiliar contexts. I could easily be racist without going through all that effort.

outside of race, just take what someone says at face value unless you have a really compelling reason to claim that they're lying

this is a p basic rule of interacting with someone

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

duTrieux. posted:

what have i done

you were being ethnically ambiguous and now you must pay for it

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
this racism derail is so loving bad I'd actually rather listen to Pittsburgh Stymie

look how badly you've hosed up

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

emoji posted:

It works really good for me.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

BONGHITZ posted:

maybe racism is bad?

whoa that's kinda judgmental, maybe we should let the racists present their point of view before we jump to any conclusions here

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

outside of race, just take what someone says at face value unless you have a really compelling reason to claim that they're lying

this is a p basic rule of interacting with someone

whenever people tell me things that i know to be factually wrong but that i have a negative desire to argue it, or when i'm trying to save them from embarrassment, these days i just say "huh, I didn't know that".

"oh yeah you can totally drill through that titanium with this kind of bit, i've done it hundreds of times."
"really? I don't think it's rated for that"
"yeah it's fine, no problem"
"huh, i didn't think that would work!"
"let me show you" *crunch*

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 10, 2015

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

whenever people tell me things that i know to be factually wrong but that i have a negative desire to argue it, or when i'm trying to save them from embarrassment, these days i just say "huh, I didn't know that".

we'll teach yosposters how to function in society yet!

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

emoji posted:

( > _ >) not sure if tricked

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

duTrieux. posted:

thank you, i tried

they make this a joke in parks & rec several times when aziz ansari's character meets new people

he's from kentucky iirc

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they make this a joke in parks & rec several times when aziz ansari's character meets new people

he's from kentucky iirc

south carolina

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

they did it on always sunny too, when they were writing their movie script. they asked a south asian dude where he's from and he's like 'philly!" and then his parents and he's like 'ah, new jersey' and it kept going. was good.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Main Paineframe posted:

because the amount of unemployment tax a business pays depends a lot on how many of their ex-employees are on unemployment, and because if you made unemployment available to everyone businesses would whine that they were being "punished" for firing "bad" workers and americans would immediately overturn it

also note that independent contractors don't get unemployment, allowing for the company that hired them to dodge the fees entirely. one of the myriad reasons uber and such are so dependent upon the classification.

fun other fact: construction companies have figured this out as well, and also love the bonus of not being required to verify immigration status for independent contractors.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

emoji posted:

I'll even say Apple is bad (it's good)

have u no limits op!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i have the opposite of the "no where are you REALLY from" problem because when i tell people where I'm from they're really disappointed i don't have a funny accent.

• Locked thread