Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

The problem with explosive weapons is that they're hard to pair with another slow firing weapon (like a wrench or laser pistol). All is well when you can pick your shots. But when you get pressed into a bad situation, they make close combat and certain levels (lil' Hunter) a nightmare. Though this may because I play Steroids a lot and tend to pick guns that work together more effectively than alone. I've started to pass on explosives in favor of bolt or laser weaponry when given a chance.

On the other hand, now the Sewer secret level has guaranteed health. I'll almost always try and get a grenade launcher before 2-1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Verr posted:

On the other hand, now the Sewer secret level has guaranteed health. I'll almost always try and get a grenade launcher before 2-1.

Does it really? I just destroyed a pizza box 5 minutes ago and nothing came out

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The health in that level isn't guaranteed, it's just a chance. I've opened all the pizza boxes without finding any pizza.

I like most of the explosive weapons but you really want a bullet weapon or a good shotgun to go with them. Boiling veins is also pretty valuable but you can get by without it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Just found out little hunter actually has a special dodge that he can apparently use as often as an auto crossbow can fire. Looks like there's really nothing you can do but switch to another weapon? I watched him do it to 10 bolts in a row. I will now add auto crossbow to the list of things that do not work against little hunter, which is currently approaching the length of an encyclopedia.

Reiley posted:

I think they need to go back to the drawing board and scrap Lil Hunter entirely because the concept is just completely counter to the pace of the game and he is not very fun to play against, especially if you roll a bad level.

You are very right.

edit: Also seconding the thing about melee enemies. My two runs before the one above were ended by getting hit a single time by a purple sword dude when I was over 5 HP. Hell I think 5 HP is a little excessive even if they weren't bugged.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 9, 2015

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
I want to know which dev thought the Lil' Hunter redesign was a good idea. Because it's basically "Play Crystal or take it in the rear end, nerd" unless you get super lucky.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

Tollymain posted:

i just unlocked horror by going rebel and summoning as many allies as i could before embracing the sweet jaws of death and letting them avenge me :v:

How I unlock horror after every patch
Also a lot of explosive weapons are underwhelming or just hard to land hits with for me, I love the missile weapons
when I have boiling veins though.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Grenade launchers seem to be consistently the best explosive weapon in the game. Bazookas are alright but outside of those two everything else seems either wasteful or dangerous. I'm not sure what the appeal of Toxic weapons are, since they take so long to kill and leave those clouds you can easily kill yourself with those.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Reiley posted:

Grenade launchers seem to be consistently the best explosive weapon in the game. Bazookas are alright but outside of those two everything else seems either wasteful or dangerous. I'm not sure what the appeal of Toxic weapons are, since they take so long to kill and leave those clouds you can easily kill yourself with those.

Gamma guts should make you immune to toxic clouds. Blammo

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Reiley posted:

I got a nuke launcher once as Robot and it was incredible. Then I got :killdozer: by one of those robots in the icy city because all the screenshake made me miss one of them charging at me.

In general though, always run into really bad ammo issues around the icy city so I can't in good conscience keep those huge 5+/shot super weapons on me. Did have one really great run with the Energy Hammer, Long Arms, and Laser Brain.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

You can blow away toxic clouds towards enemies with Eyes' telekinesis. :D

But then again, you could also be using a better weapon.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Reiley posted:

Rocket launchers are great when you have Plutonium Hunger. Something wicked this way comes? Nuke it from orbit.

Agreed on the rest of the explosives being easy passes. Same with anything not-standard crossbow bolt weaponry. I mean really, why would I ever take a disc launcher over a... revolver?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Got this game a few days ago, already killed the throne, having a blast.

I think Shotgun Fingers is my favorite mutation. It's just so much fun seeing your shots bounce around everywhere, goes great with a shotgun (doesn't seem to do very much with sluggers unfortunately)

Not that it's a very useful mutation, I usually pick other mutations over it. It's practically the best mutation in the game in sewers or labs though!

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

Tollymain posted:

i just unlocked horror by going rebel and summoning as many allies as i could before embracing the sweet jaws of death and letting them avenge me :v:
this is pro strats, can confirm

Also since the latest patch you can choose when and where Lil Hunter initially drops in, his bullet pattern is dodgeable again, and the smaller death spiral means way less chance of getting randomed out after killing him. Just add a bit more predictability/controllability to his uzumaki revenge and he'll officially be a Cool and Good boss.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xenogenesis posted:

this is pro strats, can confirm

Also since the latest patch you can choose when and where Lil Hunter initially drops in,

how

also, just died to him on a dual laser pistol steroids run :v:

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

Tollymain posted:

how

also, just died to him on a dual laser pistol steroids run :v:

Instead of dropping in immediately, he now drops in on a timer (and in future patches will drop on after you kill x% of enemies)

so i guess that means you can't choose the *when* yet :shobon:

Xenogenesis fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 9, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i reached the nuclear throne

but i don't think the nuke launcher was a good choice of weapon :stare:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nuke launcher? Boiling veins? Don't mind if I d--oh shield cops can survive a loving nuke. Get ruined.

I am having a really hard time getting past the start of the levels in world 7 lately because it inevitably spawns me in the middle of all the enemies and then throws shields on either side. And that's if I can get past the new wall in world 5.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Q button is mapped to moving left same as the A button for me now. Is there any way to change it back to weapon switch?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Looped for the first time with Steroids, got to 3-1 with WAVE GUN and LIGHTNING SHOTGUN holy poo poo they were great on full auto. Ran out of ammo and died though :smith:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

icantfindaname posted:

The Q button is mapped to moving left same as the A button for me now. Is there any way to change it back to weapon switch?

Nope!

e: well you could always just use autohotkey of course

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

icantfindaname posted:

No, they added support for a nonstandard keyboard layout which was making Q both left and weapon switch. Until they track down the cause, Q no longer switches weapons - use spacebar.

Shotgun fingers is pretty good when you find an ultra shotgun. That's happened once with YV. Looped all the way to 7-2

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Nuke launcher? Boiling veins? Don't mind if I d--oh shield cops can survive a loving nuke. Get ruined.

I am having a really hard time getting past the start of the levels in world 7 lately because it inevitably spawns me in the middle of all the enemies and then throws shields on either side. And that's if I can get past the new wall in world 5.

From the labs on, you need to be moving and shooting before the level even loads. In the palace, prioritize explo guardians and shield cops, don't get close to dog guardians and carve out a niche for yourself as fast as you can.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Finally killed the throne again and actually looped (instead of instantly dying to the cop horde at camp, like the first time)

I've been going to Oasis and finding that, provided I can get past caves, I actually end up doing way better than I do with a normal run. Before I had managed to get to the throne twice in a row, and then I just hit a brick wall where I could never get past scrapyard. Now I'm bypassing all the assassins and flame traps and being gunned down by crows from every direction at once, and turns out that I'm way better at dealing with frozen city and the palace (and also find those a lot more fun too)

Also Eagle Eyes is kind of amazing with the right guns. SMGs and Triple Machine Guns and Miniguns turn into pretty much the best weapons in the game if you have Eagle Eyes. I'm tempted to start picking it up early, since there's always that one early triple machine gun chest

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The middle mouse button switches weapons too. I literally didn't even know Q did anything.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

ninjewtsu posted:

Finally killed the throne again and actually looped (instead of instantly dying to the cop horde at camp, like the first time)

I've been going to Oasis and finding that, provided I can get past caves, I actually end up doing way better than I do with a normal run. Before I had managed to get to the throne twice in a row, and then I just hit a brick wall where I could never get past scrapyard. Now I'm bypassing all the assassins and flame traps and being gunned down by crows from every direction at once, and turns out that I'm way better at dealing with frozen city and the palace (and also find those a lot more fun too)

Also Eagle Eyes is kind of amazing with the right guns. SMGs and Triple Machine Guns and Miniguns turn into pretty much the best weapons in the game if you have Eagle Eyes. I'm tempted to start picking it up early, since there's always that one early triple machine gun chest

Weapon drops depend on how many levels you've visited, and the top tier stuff won't start dropping until pretty late. Taking the shortcut means you're effectively 4 to 6 levels behind the curve, in terms of what weapons you find. Not to mention your level will be a lot lower. It also means fewer enemies will spawn but I don't think that makes up for your character being weaker overall. I think it becomes really obvious when looping and you still don't have access to cool stuff like plasma cannons and ultra weapons.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I know that, it's still worth skipping over scrapyard :colbert:

I ended up getting an Energy Brain laser pistol and a heavy pistol in labs, which was a plenty powerful enough loadout

Other times I've goen through oaisis I've gotten an Eagle Eyes triple machine gun in frozen city, which is also plenty powerful. You just gotta hope for a little more luck than usual

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Plant with a minigun, eagle eyes and recycle gland. Found a double minigun in the chest in the throne room.

Throne status: Reached.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Has anyone seen other mutation visual effects other than Strong Spirit (a halo) and Gamma Guts (glowies)? I probably haven't been looking hard enough, but that's all I've seen.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Extra feet leaves little dust clouds behind you.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how does one play plant effectively anyway

i never seem to remember to use their active

same with fish and eyes

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

TurninTrix posted:

Has anyone seen other mutation visual effects other than Strong Spirit (a halo) and Gamma Guts (glowies)? I probably haven't been looking hard enough, but that's all I've seen.

I think bloody hunger will make a heart pop up when you get a heal off of a kill.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Tollymain posted:

same with fish and eyes

Eyes is prob. my favorite character now besides the weak ultra mutations. How to use? Just hold right mouse always basically, and go for a melee weapon. By moving enemies you can sometimes double hit which is great, and enemy attacks get confused by the movement (very helpful for assassins imo). It also pushes away bullets which is nice, and you don't really need plutonium hunger. When you have his throne but the attraction is insane so you need to be more careful. Euphoria synergises well by slowing the bullets down; euphoria+throne but basically makes you Neo.

My favorite strategy is standing behind a wall/corner/nook and use telekinesis to pull enemies close and then hit them with a melee weapon through the wall. The Shovel is the best basic melee weapon imo up till the scrapyard, and up to the palace with scarier face. It has the triple hit and is faster compared to the sledgehammer. The wrench is too weak after the sewers, the jackhammer does not have enough range for my taste and the sledgehammer is good but slow which can lead to unnecessary damage. Of course, your ideal weapon is the energy sword or the energy hammer, although the sword is probably the best weapon in the game anyway.

By playing slow with eyes and just camping corners and pulling in enemies I consistently get to big dog. He is a difficult boss for eyes because you really want to hold right mouse to keep the bullets away, but you do not want to attract the missiles or big dog himself. It's a balancing act! After that the crystal caves/ice levels are quite dangerous as well, charging enemies + telekinesis is also very very dangerous. Try to use it when you are safely behind a wall is my advice.

For the throne it's really good if you have a rapid-fire weapon to create knockback. Last time I had a gatling slugger + heavy machinegun. I just stood in front of the throne, held both RMB and LMB and won without moving.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tollymain posted:

same with fish and eyes

You mostly just click right mouse at whatever you happen to be shooting at the time. When I'm awake (not often as I tend to play this game during breaks from studying at 4 AM) I find it's good for ninja stopping enemies charging at you like those stupid yeti robots. It also ruins the purple sword dudes and just makes your job with aiming easier. Running fast is a nice bonus to have all the time too.

I've never done this but apparently if you have scarier face and throne butt, you can kill the throne after doing just 40% damage to it which sounds cool if true. I'm not sure which ultra mutation you want to take on plant, I only got there once and picked the seeker bombs and then blew myself up 5 seconds later by holding down fire with my gatling bazooka too long.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Going into the throne fight with crown of guns is probably the most painful thing in the game, rip my balling robot run

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Got to level 10 with rebel for the first time, starting levels with allies seems cool! Let's tr-oh. Shield cops reflect your own allies' bullets which makes them become lethal to you.

This one loving enemy type is finding ways to ruin games on just about every character.

Unrelated: I found out that plant's vines block fire from those obnoxious fire spitter blocks in world 3, which is really nice.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 10, 2015

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Ugh god drat this game sometimes pulls some serious bullshit with the level generation. Had one with those drat robot snipers at the opposite end of a big open area with big dog riiiight in between us. They could shoot me but I couldn't kill them, and I didn't have enough energy ammo to nuke big dog down and had to plink him with my crossbow until I was finally unable to dodge homing missiles + big dog's bullets + sniper shots + loving horde of birdmen.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

Going into the throne fight with crown of guns is probably the most painful thing in the game, rip my balling robot run

protip don't get crowns until you loop. First crown should be Crown of Destiny and then maybe go crown of guns or crown of blood

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
IMO crown of blood is defensible pre-loop but only if you get amazing drops in scrapyard.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

How do you even trigger those portals? Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Reiley posted:

How do you even trigger those portals? Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't for me.

They start covered, damage them to break the cover off (which will trigger the IDPD). Now kill enemies near the statue - the rads they drop will be sucked into the diamond, charging the statue. You can tell by the green dots along the side how charged it is. Once it's fully charged, damage it until it breaks, and the green portal will appear. Breaking it before it's fully charged will release the rads but not make a portal.

• Locked thread