Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Motherfucker. OU's DL coach/co-DC and top recruiter Jerry Montgomery got poached by the Packers.

Crushing. By far our best recruiter, that loss hurts bad. Lets hope OU can bring someone in that's capable, but my hopes aren't high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

What year/decade is that UCLA one from, I don't think I've ever seen it?

Also will literally use any half-assed excuse to remind people that Oregon thought this was a sweet idea once:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Elotana posted:

I've improved the old Boise State logo

Make it play Baker Street.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Someone needs to spend $30 to make that missouri tiger an emote... :mizz

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

fukkin smugtiger owns

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

DJExile posted:

fukkin smugtiger owns

poo poo, which one?! They're both awesome.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

If I weren't a gently caress all tigers man, tophat tiger would be kind of cool. I GUESS

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

drat i didn't pay that close attention to top hat tiger but yeah both rule

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
A little history on The Country Gentleman (tophat tiger)

quote:

The Country Gentleman is a now-all-but-forgotten Clemson mascot who was played by a cadet at sporting matches from 1939 into the 1970s. A top-hatted character in a purple tail coat, with a cane, he represented the Southern hospitality and class of the Clemson student, epitomized by the phrase, "a Clemson man needs no introduction." (Still a popular sticker available at Judge Keller's Store, portraying a Tiger bowing and tipping his tophat).

The concept developed in 1939 from the Greenville News sports writer Carter "Scoop " Latimer's referring to Clemson as the "Country Gentlemen." (It was also Latimer who dubbed baseball player Joseph Jefferson Jackson "Shoeless Joe", in 1908.)

The Country Gentleman was retired after the 1972 season, in the same era in which the playing of "Dixie" and display of the Confederate naval jack at games was discontinued.

When ClemsonWiki administrator C. Mark Sublette wrote an article about the history of the Tiger mascot for the Clemson World, the magazine published by the Clemson Alumni Association, in 1992, an attempt to mention the Country Gentleman was summarily edited out by the publication, so it would seem that it is no longer politically correct to mention this harbinger of the Old South.

Interestingly, when Leonard Keller attempted to update the sticker to "A Clemson TIGER needs no introduction" in the 1990s, the new version was a flop with fans and the original wording far outsells the revision.

You can still buy plenty of decals and shirts with him on them though.

edit: The second, high-as-gently caress tiger is likely just a fan creation. Probably from the 70s. I can't find anything else on it.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 11, 2015

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Clemson should really bring back top hat tiger.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

KKKLIP ART posted:

Clemson should really bring back top hat tiger.

We're too afraid the current mascot will eat our souls...

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Scarf posted:

:catstare: jesus christ.

News: Cardale upset people are saying he kicked a kids rear end 91-35 in Madden

Views: Cardale still owns.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

It's true, a Clemson man needs no introduction.

His Z71 is orange, every piece of clothing he owns is orange, there are stickers and license plates on said orange Z71, as well as a Clemson flag on his house, Clemson collar on his black lab, and tiger paws on his croakies.

So no, he doesn't need to introduce himself.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
All this logo talk has me jealous. TTU's had the same primary logo since the double-t was sewn onto the jersey of the 2nd year of TTU's football team in 1926.

This is the only logo I can find from our early days as the matadors:

Note: this was apparently only the 2nd or 3rd time that a band had traveled with a team, with the Penn band having done so before the turn of the century.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

LeeMajors posted:

It's true, a Clemson man needs no introduction.

His Z71 is orange, every piece of clothing he owns is orange, there are stickers and license plates on said orange Z71, as well as a Clemson flag on his house, Clemson collar on his black lab, and tiger paws on his croakies.

So no, he doesn't need to introduce himself.

I drive a Forester thank you very much :colbert:

Edit: though while at Clemson I drove an S-10... :shobon:

Scarf fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 11, 2015

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

At least you guys have crazy logo histories. We didn't even have a logo until 1983!

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Scarf posted:

I used to (occasionally) take a gander at the television while my children watched Power Rangers. That Clemson mascot is generic Power Rangers villian personified, though it could be a bit more mech to fit the bill.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Alabama RB Tyren Jones indefinitely suspended. Seems like it could be for grade reasons.

Backup RBs can't stay out of Nick's doghouse, it feels like.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

:siren: Hat Game at soldier field

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Sash! posted:

At least you guys have crazy logo histories. We didn't even have a logo until 1983!

To be fair your logo is pretty sleek though!

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Go Tulane Gumbys

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Coco13 posted:

Go Tulane Gumbys

A brief story about why Tulane started using their current mascot. From wikipedia.

"A full redesign of all athletics logos and marks was commissioned in 1998, replacing the "angry wave" and "wavy T" designs with a green and blue oblique T crested by a foamy wave. Gumby was replaced with a new pelican mascot, recalling the university seal, and the fact that a pelican was often used in the first half of the century as the emblem of Tulane's athletics teams. The pelican is also the Louisiana state bird and is found on the state flag and state seal). The name "Riptide" was selected for the performing pelican by the administration after a vote of the student body in which the students actually voted that the pelican be named "Pecker." The pelican mascot name may have been so voted as the student body had also overwhelmingly voted for Poseidon to be the mascot. Poseidon was rejected by the administration and student body government because it could be portrayed as a white male. In 2014, Tulane changed the color of the "wave" above the "T" from a seafoam green to a color closer to lime green."

They should have stuck with Gumby.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

vyst posted:

To be fair your logo is pretty sleek though!

It looks like a chipmunk! And I'm glad they dropped the tennis ball font completely.

I'm very amused how Pitt decided to replace their PITT script logo with:

An angry dinosaur

Then they weren't too sure about it and doubled down with:

An angry pitbull?

They've since returned to their senses and just have PITT again

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Jesus even Princeton used that loving tiger

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

MourningView posted:

A few years ago Iowa, as part of their neverending quest to make me angry and go against all reason and logic, pulled out of Florida recruiting entirely, even though several of the best teams of the Ferentz era relied heavily on getting under the radar guys from Florida like Brad Banks or Abdul Hodge (they have also never bothered to recruit running QBs and go back to the offense they ran in 02, so clearly they view the best Iowa team since the late 50s as some sort of cautionary tale to be avoided). They've since reversed course a little thankfully, but not to the degree they should be. I'd much rather be grabbing second tier or even third tier guys from Florida and Texas than trying to build around the scraps left over in Illinois and Ohio after Michigan, OSU, and Notre Dame get their pick of the best.

Also y'all ran off Wilson after moving him to DB coach, not that he can do poo poo here under the worst recruiting HC in football.

edit: KILL IT

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 11, 2015

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Elotana posted:

I've improved the old Boise State logo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7jbP1_H9sA

Crotch Bat posted:

Make it play Baker Street.

Careless Whisper.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Elotana posted:

Michigan even used a version of it as a Wolverine for a long time:

They used this rat-like thing for a few decades before that:

I don't think they knew what an actual wolverine looked like when they drew it.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

We've had the same logo for pretty much all time, which is kind of lame and boring. However, there are these guys:

There's also the guy in my avatar, though I think he was just used in promo posters for the Clemson game.

I wish we'd had a strutting-rooster-in-sweater at some point. :smith:

e: Clemson's top hat tiger is totally insufferable.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 11, 2015

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Deteriorata posted:

I don't think they knew what an actual wolverine looked like when they drew it.

They're big weasels. It's literally what they are, I don't know how else to break that down. That looks like a bad drawing of a weasel.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Rules

It's like it's seeing into the future

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Elotana posted:

A friend of mine used to work for a t-shirt company that had NCAA licenses and I probably could have convinced her to make a version of this tiger for every single school in the Power 5 conferences

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Crotch Bat posted:

I really like the old school gobbler logo.

Let's wear these always and forever.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Not gonna lie, if I went to a 'Tiger' school, I'd totally want that as my mascot.

Some old Arizona logos. I can't find much logo art using the mascot, but then again I didn't look hard.

Before my time but I hope someone got fired for this.

Also, an Arizona classic. This was the logo when they won the basketball championship and the football team went 12-1 :smugdog:

It's also really loving cool and Arizona as gently caress.

The newer, updated version, is really sleek but not as cool, and definitely not Arizona as gently caress.

Also, the best mascot logo in the NCAA

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

"Ghost of Reagan Past" posted:

Also, an Arizona classic. This was the logo when they won the basketball championship and the football team went 12-1 :smugdog:

It's also really loving cool and Arizona as gently caress.

That thing is straight out of the early 90s screen printing shop.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Fluffdaddy posted:

It would look great airbrushed on the side of a 1985 Wrangler.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Western Kentucky has the best mascot.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fluffdaddy posted:

it is, and I love it

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Thermos H Christ posted:

Probably the best sports logo ever

lmao in 1927 they only wore the devastated tiger on the road

Then in '28...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Thermos H Christ posted:

Probably the best sports logo ever

After thinking for a long time, I realized this is a knockoff of Penn State's original Nittany Lion:

That is the shittiest taxidermy job ever

• Locked thread