Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

We can all car-joust for the SE/30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Moxie Omen posted:

We can all car-joust for the SE/30

You're on.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I understand why people use it, but some jerk-o scammed me and used google voice so I had no way to contact him afterwards. Sold me an intel CPU and somehow erased the model number thats printed on there. It was a new-to-me socket so I gave him the benefit of doubt (and even said "heh heh, theres no model # on this chip youre not trying to scam me right? :smug: :wink:)

It was still a working chip, just severely under powered. Dude was taking a pretty huge risk for $100 since if I ever saw his car again I would do unpleasant things to it. Oh well, cheap lesson for me.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

TooLShack posted:

I use a google voice number for all my CL dealings, some people thinks it's ok to txt/call after 11PM to buy crusty stereo equipment. Do you guys ever have people wanting to trade guns for stuff?

I use GV for CL exclusively. All sales final, never contact me again.

And yeah, I had a guy trying to trade me a beat up 10/22 for a washer and dryer I was selling at an extreme loss. Dude, seriously?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

TooLShack posted:

I use a google voice number for all my CL dealings, some people thinks it's ok to txt/call after 11PM to buy crusty stereo equipment. Do you guys ever have people wanting to trade guns for stuff?

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I have a burner phone for CL. its wonderful.

I have a burner phone for CL and I use it almost exclusively by texting. I had someone pick up a sectional sofa from my house today, but that was the first time in probably 3 dozen CL sales where I didn't meet someone at a nearby store parking lot.

Side note, I've posted it before, but it's still my favorite CL exploit: If you are buying something on CL that is farther than you want to travel, tell the seller that you are ~1 hour away from your actual location and ask them if they'll meet you half-way... where half-way is actually very close to your house. Basically, negotiate delivery without the seller knowing. No real harm, since the seller is happy to offload his crap for cash, anyway, and you save time driving.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i've been using a spare gmail account for my cl dealings but now this has pushed me to put GV on a burner and never deal with this crap again

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

TooLShack posted:

I traded the Audi v8 quattro for a 1911.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Besides getting scammed once Ive never delt with the slightest amount of "crap" on craigslist.

List it for a decent price, meet in the open, no issues. I've bought and sold dozens of items this way with a real email address and cell phone number.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I've gotten some weirdos selling on CL. When you sell cheap cars you get a lot of hard-luck stories and "can I pay half in home-depot gift cards?" type questions. It's annoying but I just consider it part of the job of selling poo poo on CL.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

TooLShack posted:

I only accept payment in guns.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

meatpimp posted:

Side note, I've posted it before, but it's still my favorite CL exploit: If you are buying something on CL that is farther than you want to travel, tell the seller that you are ~1 hour away from your actual location and ask them if they'll meet you half-way... where half-way is actually very close to your house. Basically, negotiate delivery without the seller knowing. No real harm, since the seller is happy to offload his crap for cash, anyway, and you save time driving.

I do this a lot. But I also list the interstates I drive on the way to/from work and note that I can meet right off the highway anywhere along that route morning or evening for free.

I am also not at all afraid to simply stop replying if someone is jerking me around. One time I had agreed to a price several hundred dollars under my asking price and the guy started acting scammy so I stopped talking to him for a few days, figuring he was in nigeria or something. He ended up offering to pay full price if we could do the deal by that Friday so he could work on the project that weekend.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Continuing the craigslist chat, I just got this.

quote:

Well do you still have the scrap vehicle or not

eh?

*searches email*

quote:

On Aug 19, 2014 4:51 PM, "Richard Manning" <shittydickposter@reply.craigslist.org> wrote:

You still got it?

This is in regards to the disco. that I scrapped almost 6 months ago to the loving day.

My response?

CSB posted:

6 months later? gently caress no.

ninjaedit: uhaul almost loaded, might just drive to SF tonight motherfuckers!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Ha... Not with that V10.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Guess I've been lucky on the Craigslist front. The civic I bought from a guy that owned a "Buy your junk car" lot. Sold my 06 Saturn Vue to a nice family that brought all 6200 in cash.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
My loving 15 year old miniature dachshund just jumped two feet in the air and snagged a goddamn chicken thigh off of my plate.

I don't know if I should applaud his old rear end or be angry.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

cursedshitbox posted:

ninjaedit: uhaul almost loaded, might just drive to SF tonight motherfuckers!

I'll start up the gofundme for spare rod bearings and fuel.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So a friend is a (currently unemployed) locksmith. He helped someone get into their car last night, they didn't have cash, but gave him what they said was a prepaid Amex gift card, said it had $100 on it. He went out and bought a small TV with it.

He called me today asking how to check the balance on it. I asked which one it was. "Amex". No, I mean which Amex prepaid card. Gift card? Bluebird? Serve? "Uh.. it just says American Express on it." What color is it? "Gold"

:stonk:

I asked if it had a name or said "Prepaid customer". It had a name. He gave me the name; I googled it. Joy of joys, it's a lawyer that lives about a block from where he did the lockout service. I checked the police reports, her house was burglarized yesterday.

The best part? He bought the TV at Wal-Mart, so I know that transaction is on video and can be traced to the register, time, date, and even the moment the card was swiped. He asked if I thought he should return it, I promised him it's probably been reported stolen by now, so when they try to refund it to the card, he may or may not get hosed (and I know CS has even more cameras).

This can only end well, right?

Also, Verizon finally got my new set top box to me. They just slapped it in a box with a power supply, and put in an insert that's meant for a much smaller set top box (laid flat on the bottom). The new set top box showed up pretty banged up from bouncing off of the power supply in the box, and the image on the screen is ghosting pretty good. Best part is UPS wants $10 to pick it up, when it was supposed to have pickup service included. Making it more fun is it looks like I'll probably have to RMA this one too.

That will make #5 in less than a year.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 11, 2015

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
After all that, was he sure it was their car?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Ironically, the best person for him to talk to right now is probably a lawyer.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

How does somebody that dumb learn to be a locksmith.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

That's my thought as well. Get a locksmith to break in and wear gloves while your driving. His prints are on the car, his face is in the videos using the stolen card. Honestly, I'd say his best bet is to show up at the police station with the card and TV and plead ignorance.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

zundfolge posted:

After all that, was he sure it was their car?

Pretty sure it wasn't. He asked for their ID once the car was open, and they said they didn't have it on them, it was at his girlfriends.

But he had the Amex in his wallet (which was in his pocket). Dunno why you'd leave your ID out of your wallet unless you were trying to be a bit :ninja:

mariooncrack posted:

Ironically, the best person for him to talk to right now is probably a lawyer.

Agreed, though he's unemployed, about to have his car repossessed (he took out a title loan to pay rent), about to lose his kid, and about to lose his apartment. I think a lawyer is a bit out of his price range at the moment. He's liverally selling everything he has just to buy food at this point (I'm going to be buying my old laptop back from him actually, for pennies since he dropped it and broke the HDD.. tired of not having a Windows laptop).

He's really not the smartest guy in general, and he's actually the reason I'm trying to quit drinking for good. We've known each other a long time, but my drinking hasn't gotten me into a whole lot of trouble beyond the occasional argument (and one fight).. his has cost him his job (again), his kid (again), and his home (again). I don't want to follow him down that rabbit hole.

Powershift posted:

How does somebody that dumb learn to be a locksmith.

His dad has been a locksmith his whole life. Learned it from him; at one point his dad owned his own company, but now works for one of the largest regional locksmiths.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 11, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah holy gently caress that was a bad decision and his best bet is... I don't know what.

I would be tempted to say he should immediately return the TV (he has the receipt, right?) which will put the money back in the account it came from, then go directly to the police with the card, make a statement, and give them any info he has on the person he did it for. Because they're going to come for him one way or another and it's probably best if he reports the other guy before the other guy says anything about him.

That being said, I am NOT a lawyer. I don't even play one on TV.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

some texas redneck posted:

So a friend is a (currently unemployed) locksmith. He helped someone get into their car last night, they didn't have cash, but gave him what they said was a prepaid Amex gift card, said it had $100 on it. He went out and bought a small TV with it.

He called me today asking how to check the balance on it. I asked which one it was. "Amex". No, I mean which Amex prepaid card. Gift card? Bluebird? Serve? "Uh.. it just says American Express on it." What color is it? "Gold"

:stonk:

I asked if it had a name or said "Prepaid customer". It had a name. He gave me the name; I googled it. Joy of joys, it's a lawyer that lives about a block from where he did the lockout service. I checked the police reports, her house was burglarized yesterday.

The best part? He bought the TV at Wal-Mart, so I know that transaction is on video and can be traced to the register, time, date, and even the moment the card was swiped. He asked if I thought he should return it, I promised him it's probably been reported stolen by now, so when they try to refund it to the card, he may or may not get hosed (and I know CS has even more cameras).

This can only end well, right?

He's A grade hosed if he dont lawyer up right now. B Grade hosed even with that.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
OK, I'll trade the SE30 to the goon who offers me the best vehicle in exchange. Post what you've got! ;)

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
You guys really overestimate how hard it is to be a locksmith.

For the military it's literally a 5 day, civilian run school in Tennessee. It's not exactly braniac work.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
So did he help that person break into a car too?

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
So funny story...I brought my new Fusion Ti to the dealership for some stuff...I brought up the fact I was having a weird issue where I was only able to get about 10-11 gal of fuel in my tank at empty for a 16.5 gallon tank.

Service writer gives me a call...he said he talked to Ford and they're ordering me a new tank. I asked why and apparently Ford decided to assemble a small amount of Fusion Titaniums with the hybrid tank (12.5 gal) instead of the standard 16.5 gal tank.

TSB incoming! I thought it was sort of funny...I wasn't even upset. I asked how the hell they pulled that one off, he said he wasn't surprised since the form factor is basically identical. He said that was basically a first for him.

Nice going Ford!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

blk posted:

OK, I'll trade the SE30 to the goon who offers me the best vehicle in exchange. Post what you've got! ;)

I'll send you a Reese's Pieces Miata.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

He went out and bought a small TV with it.

Unemployed, behind on rent, behind on car payment, probably light on food, and he bought a loving TV.

Definitely not the sharpest spoon in the knife drawer.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

TooLShack posted:

Ok, I gotta ask this, what is the deal with people liking to dick with old computer equipment? I can understand cars, old stereos, and other classic things. But for some reason obsolete computers hold no appeal to me. Is it for running old games and software?

Same thing that's fun about getting old-rear end engines to run. It's the challenge and satisfaction of getting something massively obsolete up and doing it's job.

Also the amusement value of realizing that old computers run about the same speed as modern ones, subjectively. Much less processing power, but much more efficient use of memory and power.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

T-Square posted:

So today a few engineers got a taste of their own medicine. Apparently this lady's brand new hybrid Toyota Highlander has been shutting down/losing power randomly and no one can figure out why, so Toyota flew a few of their engineers out from Japan to help out. Apparently they were pretty irritated with how difficult it was to pull the wiring harness, and are a tad upset about having to put it back in. :laugh:

Nevermind, they ended up ripping out the hilariously long and complicated engine harness, said "There's your problem" and hopped on a flight back to Glorious Nippon :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

rndmnmbr posted:

Unemployed, behind on rent, behind on car payment, probably light on food, and he bought a loving TV.

Definitely not the sharpest spoon in the knife drawer.

His car is paid off.. he took out a title loan on it. :doh:

He also bought a burger and rented a couple of movies on it. :downsgun:

I decided to call Amex myself. They were able to find the card with just the name (as it was uncommon enough) and knowing it was a Dallas area card. I relayed the information I dug up on Google, and they confirmed it matched the name I'd given them.

They cancelled the card and will be calling the customer tomorrow. They did say it would be best if he returns the TV (obviously), but as it's a relatively small dollar amount, he probably won't be in any trouble. Also said I should tell him to just cut up the card and throw it away.

I just tried calling him, his girlfriend picked up and said he's asleep and hung up before I could say "it's kinda important". :downsgun:

Of course, now they have my (Google Voice) number, so I expect I'll hear from their fraud department at some point.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

iwentdoodie posted:

You guys really overestimate how hard it is to be a locksmith.

For the military it's literally a 5 day, civilian run school in Tennessee. It's not exactly braniac work.

You can teach yourself most basic locksmithing as well, it's really not that hard. I have a bunch of old locks and probes in one of my desk drawers at home that I like to dick around with when I'm watching a movie or chatting on the computer or whatever.

You're a good person STR.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

T-Square posted:

Nevermind, they ended up ripping out the hilariously long and complicated engine harness, said "There's your problem" and hopped on a flight back to Glorious Nippon :v:

I imagine there is a decent chance they are right. Well, that is they were bitter that someone dragged them out of the office.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I have a burner phone for CL. its wonderful.

Google Voice burner numbers all the way.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

He just called me back.

He threw away the receipt and cut up the card. I don't blame him on the card, but he should have kept the receipt. :doh:

I'm sure I'll be hearing from Amex at some point about it, and I've advised him to write down everything he can remember about the guy and the car. It turns out the lockout was at a Target (friend was walking past and heard the guy bitching on the phone to someone that he'd locked his keys in, he stopped and offered to help), so there's going to be some footage of some sort from there too (in fact I'll put :10bux: on the guy using that Amex at Target).

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Did someone say craigslist shenanigans?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Timed that stop perfectly. 0.4 gal left in the tank. (I'm not one of those weirdoes who insists on driving until the light comes on and seeing how far they can go, I just did the math and knew I could do it in one stop instead of two).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Doesn't gasoline cool the fuel pump? I never let it get below 1/4.

• Locked thread