Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

scorpiobean posted:

"My third grade teacher actually had a conversation with my mom that I was reading to well and told her to stop having me read at home"

"READING TO WELL" :ironicat:

Also writing to good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

What was the teacher's game plan for when it would be her turn to read a card?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

scorpiobean posted:

"My third grade teacher actually had a conversation with my mom that I was reading to well and told her to stop having me read at home"

"READING TO WELL" :ironicat:

You cruel bastard. The well was their only friend, and they just wanted to share their favorite story with it.

Poor Welly :(

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Stop reading to that well. Timmy's down there. He's trying to sleep and you're bothering him.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Fathis Munk posted:

Rejoice ! One of my favourite stdh made the imgur front page again

Teachers can have some odd problems. In grade 1 (when I was six years old) I got in trouble for doing my math test from bottom to top by starting with the more difficult questions and my mum was told that the teachers would appreciate it if I would do the same questions as the other students.

EDIT: But why the gently caress would the teacher complain about a young student being able to read well? Doesn't that literally mean they have less work to do with that particular student?

Testekill has a new favorite as of 03:42 on Feb 11, 2015

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Testekill posted:

EDIT: But why the gently caress would the teacher complain about a young student being able to read well? Doesn't that literally mean they have less work to do with that particular student?

Yes. Honestly the only issue I could think would be if the kid was a pretentious rear end about it and lording it over other kids, or was getting done with work so fast that they were getting bored in class and acting out/distracting other kids. Getting work done + not bothering any other kids in the process = a dream student.

I could possibly see where your 1st grade teacher was coming from in a situation where you might not be able to finish the test and she wanted to go over it and make sure everyone had at least most of the same questions finished or something- plus it could be important to prepare you for the future where sometimes question 5 is dependent on something from question 4 so doing them out of order would mess you up and you might not catch it or something. Though that's just my two cents of playing devil's advocate, the teachers may also have been dodos.

But the other thing is stdh and I stopped reading once I had to scroll literally at all and once I saw that the person was doing "KEY MOMENTS MY NATURAL INTELLECT AND GENIUS WAS SHOT DOWN BY THE SHEEPLE EDUCATION SYSTEM OF AMERICA EACH YEAR OF MY LIFE" highlight reel.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
How many times have we all worked with that guy? "I'm so super smart that everyone has a problem with me! No, it couldn't be that I never ever follow rules and am a pedantic rear end in a top hat." I get so simultaneously irritated and bummed out by people like that.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

jodai posted:

How many times have we all worked with that guy? "I'm so super smart that everyone has a problem with me! No, it couldn't be that I never ever follow rules and am a pedantic rear end in a top hat." I get so simultaneously irritated and bummed out by people like that.

Without exception, they have always been super lazy.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

canyoneer posted:

Without exception, they have always been super lazy.

They can't help that your meaningless societal mechanisms like work are beneath their vast intellect, GAWD.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Not that it isn't STDH, but a lot of districts, if your birthday is after a certain date, you start school a year later than normal. Happened with my brother.

Also, kids age during the school year.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Broken Things posted:

Oh you're blind? Yeah, I guess skip all the parts of the curriculum that involve colour and/or sight then.

My favourite part of this is that the blind girl is upset at the mention of colours, but not at an exercise that involves reading off a card the teacher holds up.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Don't blind and deaf students generally have an aide?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Testekill posted:

But why the gently caress would the teacher complain about a young student being able to read well? Doesn't that literally mean they have less work to do with that particular student?

Teachers who are really lazy and/or burned out will often target gifted or more advanced students because those kids tend to get bored quickly and disrupt the class or derail the teacher's flow. At schools that don't have a gifted program or any other resources for students ahead of the game (like most elementary schools), teachers may also not have the support and resources THEY need to deal with an extraordinary child. I've also heard other teachers complain about smart younger students, especially boys, because they feel the kid is mocking them or otherwise threatening their position of authority. It is profoundly loving stupid and not right at all, but THAT poo poo does happen.

On a less-horrible note, sometimes teachers rein in a kid who's moving too fast because they know said kid will get bored and be disruptive down the line, possible at a crucial juncture for slower learners.

This story, however, I don't believe. Kids that young are fairly easy to keep busy. I was reading well above my age level in first grade and my teacher decided not to make me go to reading group, but to give me other books to read and instructions on how to write a book report. I did it because I was a total swot, but also because I was little enough that a teacher telling me to do stuff was like Word of God.

EDIT: Source- am getting my teacher's cert.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic

Testekill posted:

My teachers in years 1-5 used to get annoyed with my reading because I was a little sperglord who would get bored while the teacher was talking and start reading my book instead and would spend recess and lunch reading instead of interacting with other children, so I would guess that there are plenty of kids who get bored in class and start doing inappropriate poo poo, or who do something to the point where it would impact on their development. They couldn't take the book away, partly because I had more of them in my bag and would just grab another, but also because I would finish my work and whine about being bored otherwise.

I did get in trouble for doodling in the margins of my workbooks though (like I'd get the thing back after we'd done exercises and there'd be a comment about it, my year 3 teacher eventually just circled them and wrote NO), which I thought and still think was absolute bullshit. I did all my work and I did it right, why does it matter that I would scribble in the margins to kill time or to help me think?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Ten Becquerels posted:

I did get in trouble for doodling in the margins of my workbooks though (like I'd get the thing back after we'd done exercises and there'd be a comment about it, my year 3 teacher eventually just circled them and wrote NO), which I thought and still think was absolute bullshit. I did all my work and I did it right, why does it matter that I would scribble in the margins to kill time or to help me think?

My third grade teacher told my parents during conferences that I wasn't putting in enough effort in class. Her reason? I was finishing the worksheets too quickly.

I started coloring and doodling on them and somehow that was an improvement she was happy with.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Ten Becquerels posted:

I had a Shakespeare class at the University that went something like this. Dr Miller liked finding people who weren't paying attention, then ask a question to humiliate/embarrass them. Sketching and doodling helped me relax and listen. So one day I was doodling while he was talking about 'Antony & Cleopatra'. He came over, asked me a question about the sea battle, and I answered him correctly. After that he picked on other people and left me alone.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Broken Things posted:

Oh you're blind? Yeah, I guess skip all the parts of the curriculum that involve colour and/or sight then.

My boyfriend has a story like this from fourth grade or so, doing a paired "getting to know you" exercise with a blind classmate. He read off the favorite-color question, the kid said "red," and my boyfriend replied "liar!"

The whole class applauded, they got married, Albert Einstein, etc.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Testekill posted:

Teachers can have some odd problems. In grade 1 (when I was six years old) I got in trouble for doing my math test from bottom to top by starting with the more difficult questions and my mum was told that the teachers would appreciate it if I would do the same questions as the other students.

Seconding teachers having odd problems. I once was sent to the Principal's office over lying during Show and Tell because I'd gone with my Dad to the King Tut exhibit when it was touring and was going on about all the stuff we'd seen and she insisted it was impossible. Took my Dad showing up to school with the ticket stubs as proof since apparently the teacher hadn't a clue the exhibit existed.

As far as performing above one's grade level, since throughout grade school I seemed to be a magnet for whatever version of the flu was going around, I did a lot of reading at home so that I was at a college level ability. Once it was explained the only rules for books at home was whatever I could reach from the shelves and had a dictionary on hand for the words I didn't know, no one made a big deal about it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

bringmyfishback posted:

This story, however, I don't believe. Kids that young are fairly easy to keep busy. I was reading well above my age level in first grade and my teacher decided not to make me go to reading group, but to give me other books to read and instructions on how to write a book report. I did it because I was a total swot, but also because I was little enough that a teacher telling me to do stuff was like Word of God.

My first grade teacher just made me read to the other kids during storytime or whatever it was while she got other stuff done. :v: Like you said, most of the teachers who were upset about the fact that I was ahead in some subjects were usually kind of burned out or really had their egos wrapped up in their jobs in retrospect.

It was also made even more fun that I was usually the only left-handed kid in class, so I had a lot of teachers doing weird things with that too.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bringmyfishback posted:

Our elementary school teachers were pretty good about handling kids ahead of the class. There were 3 of us and we were given other material(more advanced math problems and free to pick our own books). We had all the freedom we wanted because we did our work in the lunch area instead of the actual classroom. Thinking back that was quite a bit of freedom at that age.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Testekill posted:

Probably because the teacher kept interrupting when the student kept hitting words that were difficult. I actually complained to a teacher once and asked her to actually give me a chance to say the word since I knew how to pronounce every word she had said at that point. That poo poo drove me up a wall.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

OptimusShr posted:

Probably because the teacher kept interrupting when the student kept hitting words that were difficult. I actually complained to a teacher once and asked her to actually give me a chance to say the word since I knew how to pronounce every word she had said at that point. That poo poo drove me up a wall.

That would be the student being annoyed with the teacher, though.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
When I was at school we were given stupid little 10 page books to "read" over the weekend, then on Monday we'd come in and the teacher would read the book out to us again. My parents taught me to read before I went to school so these "books" would take a matter of minutes to read. What little-me should have done is read the book over the weekend then dive back into whatever Famous Five/Secret Seven book I was reading at the time, but unfortunately I just didn't bother reading it at all. So come Monday and we sit down for reading class; the teacher would always ask some questions before we began, usually "turn to page seven, Joey, how do you pronounce that word?" or "Chris, page 2, what does that word mean?". If I was ever asked it was easy to bullshit it, but one Monday she turned to me and said, "duckmaster, what was the name of the cat in the story?". I stuttered a bit and she then said, "duckmaster, have you read the book?".

To which I replied, "No, I was too busy reading Enid Blytons Famous Five, which has a far better plot and narrative than some rubbish about a cat living with a dog. Perhaps if we moved this class on a bit we might be able to read something more at my level." The whole class went absolutely silent and my fellow students started turning round and looking at me, eyes wide open. The teachers mouth was dropping slowly until it was fully down; the silent scene ended only with the clatter of the pen which had dropped out of her hand and the giggle of the cute girl in the corner I had a crush on (married now etc). Every Monday after that I took the reading class myself.

poo poo that actually happened: I sheepishly said "no", stared at the floor and she told me to read the book next time. It's no good being the best reader in the class if you haven't actually read the material!

duckmaster has a new favorite as of 14:33 on Feb 11, 2015

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Bobby Digital posted:

My third grade teacher told my parents during conferences that I wasn't putting in enough effort in class. Her reason? I was finishing the worksheets too quickly.

I started coloring and doodling on them and somehow that was an improvement she was happy with.

My kindergarten teacher told my parents she thought I was retarded (according to my mother, those were her exact words) because I wasn't doing my work. I wasn't being disruptive, just sitting quietly...because I'd finished the work she'd given me. The bitch had literally not even looked at the worksheets, just assumed I hadn't done them, and called my parents in to tell them that. Cue some very definite confusion from my parents who had, while we were living in Panama just months prior, had me in a private school for government kids you had to test into, and I was above-grade-level there in everything.

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof
When my son was in fifth grade, his English teacher said she thought he had ADHD and needed Ritalin because he would spend time drawing pictures and doodling. Turned out, it was because he would finish his work early and had nothing else to do. She showed me a quiz they had taken, on which he had gotten a 92, and at the top she had written "You could of done better". His English teacher. This was a private school, and I was actually paying for him to be educated by a woman who says "could of". Mind blown. That teacher was not Albert Einstein.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You're supposed to tell the teacher when you're done with your task. That's why teachers assume kids who doodle stuff do it instead of actual work.

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof
I just assumed she'd figure it out when she saw that he had, in fact, done the actual work.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
I had a few really lovely teachers who were on the verge of burn out when I was in 1st-3rd grade in Chicago public schools, and yeah, some of them would behave absolutely monstrously towards kids who were in any way requiring more attention than usual. Most teachers though, would just give a fidgety kid a note, tell them it had to be delivered immediately to the gym teacher, who would then have the kids run laps until they'd get a note to bring back. Kid felt like they were on an important mission (and some exercise to tire them out), teachers got a potential disruption out of their hair, and the gym teacher was the subject of many student rumors and believed to be extremely important because of all these urgent notes.

But by the time you hit 4th+ grades, the actually smart kids had figured out how to not piss everyone off while still performing well, while it was the booksmart losers who couldn't help but awkwardly try to show off who would, I am sure, later go on to become Redditors complaining about how one time when they were 12 they were subjected to the most egregious insults from their teachers and consequently set off on a downward trajectory in their lives culminating in their genius-level selves working janitorial at a near-deserted strip mall.

STDH:

A co-worker of mine swears up and down that while playing airsoft with some friends in a field (when he was 14 or so), someone saw them and called the police on them. SWAT showed up, they were taken in and interrogated overnight for potential ties to terrorism (because one of the kids was Mexican, but totally looked like an Arab!). And all their airsoft got taken away, but they were totally gonna sue.

Thing that gets me is that there will be 3-4 dudes around him when he tells the story just hanging off his every word and totally buying into it. Granted, he tells the story well, but still, it's pretty obvious STDH.

What probably did happen: idiots were playing airsoft in someone's field, got told to gtfo or the cops would get called on 'em for trespassing. If the cops did show up, they probably did take their airsoft; afterwards they probably went on their way telling each other stories about what totally could have or would have happened if they hadn't been so cool in handling those cops.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

My kindergarten teacher told my parents she thought I was retarded (according to my mother, those were her exact words) because I wasn't doing my work. I wasn't being disruptive, just sitting quietly...because I'd finished the work she'd given me. The bitch had literally not even looked at the worksheets, just assumed I hadn't done them, and called my parents in to tell them that. Cue some very definite confusion from my parents who had, while we were living in Panama just months prior, had me in a private school for government kids you had to test into, and I was above-grade-level there in everything.

Hey, government school buddy! :) :hf: :)

I was lucky enough to have enrichment programs up until 9th grade when my family moved back to the States and I got dropped into a public school in South Carolina. The woman who admitted me gave NO SHITS and stuck me in... what passes for the normal classes in SC. I'm really not trying to be a snot. I've had some great teachers and classes in public schools, but South Carolina's just a special brand of terrible education. The one I remember in particular is that they were going over the difference between to/too/two in my 9th grade English class. I doodled that year away and got to register for AP classes in year 10.
My sisters went to college there for a bit and relayed stories about classes where students had to be taught to use a mouse (this was 2002), modern conveniences/practices being of Satan (I witnessed one of these!) and peer essay reviews where words would just consistently be left of out sentences. "I to store." Oh, and one of said sisters wants me to add that she had to drop a class because her professor was so racist. Wow, South Carolina.

STDH: A tenuous friend was late to class once because "Two guys in a car stopped me and said they needed 'a cute girl' for a scavenger hunt. Afterwards, they dropped me off at a bus station downtown and it took me an hour to get back to campus!" Yes, this was in college.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Paladinus posted:

You're supposed to tell the teacher when you're done with your task. That's why teachers assume kids who doodle stuff do it instead of actual work.

That's never been a rule anywhere I've gone to school and probably would have gotten me into trouble in a few classes for being disruptive or something. Most teachers just did time limits and took up whatever you had once time was up.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Well, after reading all this, I guess American education system is poo poo. :shrug:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Paladinus posted:

Well, after reading all this, I guess American education system is poo poo. :shrug:

shut up im awsome at my number sentences and math fact families

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The only problem I ever had with a teacher even though I read above level or whatever was in third grade. My parents asked me after school one day if I was paying attention in math class, as the teacher had said I was goofing off/not paying attention in the back. I sat in the second row of the classroom, so I still have no idea what she was thinking.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jesus Christ goons love talking about how smart they were as children. The vaccination thread in D&D also had a couple pages of a bunch of posters talking about how they were reading at a college level at the age of 4 or whatever.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Ytlaya posted:

Jesus Christ goons love talking about how smart they were as children. The vaccination thread in D&D also had a couple pages of a bunch of posters talking about how they were reading at a college level at the age of 4 or whatever.

Yeah, but this is the right thread for it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

:goonsay:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Ytlaya posted:

I was also getting annoyed of this. Somehow SA, just like reddit, is full of geniuses.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Non Serviam posted:

I was also getting annoyed of this. Somehow SA, just like reddit, is full of geniuses.

Part of that is because the term 'genius' doesn't really mean anything, so its definition has been massively watered down over time. At this point its just synonymous with "smart", which is itself relative.

Whenever you see somebody flaunting their IQ number you can be sure they're in fact not a genius.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Nerds who spend their 20's and later on an internet forum devoted to lovely comedy probably value their intelligence highly, either as the sole source of their self confidence, or a part of it. Given a forum for discussion, they will probably mention it, especially in relation to people they didn't like when they were younger. There may just be some sort of correlation between people like that and the communities of SA and Reddit.

This is like bitching that GiP posters are all (ex-)military guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Im smart

• Locked thread