Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Uthor posted:

I'd also say to take a look at Lazarus.

Let's be honest, almost anything by Rucka is a good bet.

And Gail Simone's current Red Sonja run has a kind of Rat Queens-y vibe (meaning it's a Simone book. Which I like, but I know BSS generally doesn't) Issue 7 has her fighting gourmet cannibals to rescue the world's best chef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
decapode, Rachel Rising has queer women and an almost all-female cast. One of my current favorites.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Kieron Gillen's Angela is female led, has some nice art and LGBT lead characters. It's only a few issues in so far and I'm not sure how other folks are receiving it but I've liked it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Dunbar posted:

ps. Just announced yesterday, G. Willow Wilson, author of Ms. Marvel, will be writing a new book featuring an all-female Avengers team starting in May.
She's also doing the current arc on the all-female X-Men book (the one just titled X-Men).

Also announced this week is a Black Canary solo series by Brenden Fletcher, who is currently writing Gotham Academy with Becky Cloonan. That might also be a good bet since the main character is a teenage schoolgirl.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Kieron Gillen's Angela is female led, has some nice art and LGBT lead characters. It's only a few issues in so far and I'm not sure how other folks are receiving it but I've liked it.

In a word, boring. I'm sure this is all set up for a big pay off but I'll pick back issues up when that payoff actually happens instead of following it monthly.

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

Takin' it slow at the speed of light.
So I've been wanting to catch up on Inhuman, but I never got around to reading Inhumanity. There seems to be a hodgepodge of issues that comprise this, but are any of them essential aside from the two eponymous ones? Or is this an event I can just skip over?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You can definitely skip it and go right to Inhuman. Or at least skip everything branded Inhumanity other than Fraction's two issues.
The new Ms. Marvel is the only other important thing to come out of it all.

e: Do you know how Infinity ended for the Inhumans?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 10, 2015

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I'm on a huge Star Trek kick at the moment, I can't get enough. Are there any Star Trek comics worth a poo poo? A decent Next Generation or DS9 comic series would make me happy.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
My girlfriend has always been pretty supportive of my comic fandom. Going to Comic Con, even dressing up with me. Buying me comics. Buying me comic related toys and memorabilia. But now she has decided she wants to actually start reading them herself. She asked me to get her Guardians of the Galaxy. And while I have the resources to get every copy digitally for her on her iPad, I am not entirely sure which volume to get. I looked and saw there was an old run back in 1995 but it doesn't seem to have much to do with the current movie characters which she is a fan of. The current Guardians of The Galaxy is also only 1-23 and ongoing at the moment with 1 annual. Where should she start to get the best experience? Is the old 1995 version so much better than the current version it's worth starting her there? Or should she just start with the current volume with the characters she is familiar with and just grab them as they come out?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
The current Bendis stuff is very new reader friendly and probably what they expected people to go to when the movie came out. I would give her those before you get into the older stuff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Happy Hedonist posted:

I'm on a huge Star Trek kick at the moment, I can't get enough. Are there any Star Trek comics worth a poo poo? A decent Next Generation or DS9 comic series would make me happy.

While I can't answer that, I recommend the 70s animated series if you enjoy the original 60s Star Trek. It's basically season 4 of the show.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Windows 98 posted:

My girlfriend has always been pretty supportive of my comic fandom. Going to Comic Con, even dressing up with me. Buying me comics. Buying me comic related toys and memorabilia. But now she has decided she wants to actually start reading them herself. She asked me to get her Guardians of the Galaxy. And while I have the resources to get every copy digitally for her on her iPad, I am not entirely sure which volume to get. I looked and saw there was an old run back in 1995 but it doesn't seem to have much to do with the current movie characters which she is a fan of. The current Guardians of The Galaxy is also only 1-23 and ongoing at the moment with 1 annual. Where should she start to get the best experience? Is the old 1995 version so much better than the current version it's worth starting her there? Or should she just start with the current volume with the characters she is familiar with and just grab them as they come out?

The movie team formed for the Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning's 2009 series. https://www.comixology.com/Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-2008-2010/comics-series/1894?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL2JyZWFkY3J1bWJz

They're part of a family of Cosmic comics that you could go a bit deeper on. The team spun off of Annihilation: Conquest.

The Bendis series is new reader friendly (till an Original Sin tie in that explains something about the end of the old team,) but she might get more satisfaction from going through that previous comic stuff. There's no Ronan or Nova featured in Bendis', for example (as far as I read.)
e: There's an important #0.1 in this series before #1.

ee: There's also a stand-alone Rocket Racoon comedy/adventure series running that you could go to straight from the movie.
https://www.comixology.com/Rocket-Raccoon-2014/comics-series/21368

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 10, 2015

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
So go with the current run of Guardians of the Galaxy because it's very new comic reader friendly and also likely the first thing Marvel expected people to go to after seeing the movie. let her read all the issues because there are so few to decide if she really wants to dig deeper and fall down this wormhole of comic reading. If the answer is yes, have her start reading through that chart of comics to get the entire story in the correct time line. Correct? Or am I misunderstanding? Sorry my GotG knowledge is very limited.

It basically seems as though the current team was eventually assembled over a long time line of Cosmic related stuff. And if you're really into the lore of it all, reading through in that order is the way to go. But if she's a novice to the whole thing in general, the current run is great starter material to even decide if she wants to stick with this and keep reading.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I mean, the Abnett and Lanning stuff is *really* good, but it's also a LOT to read, and the Guardians don't happen until AFTER the second event (though the REALLY GOOD Starlord mini is essentially the genesis of them), and the stuff not written by them ranges from good to bad. I haven't read the Bendis stuff, myself, but people seem to enjoy it, so start there, and if she enjoys it, she can go back and read the other stuff.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, I mean, the Abnett and Lanning stuff is *really* good, but it's also a LOT to read, and the Guardians don't happen until AFTER the second event

My friend asked the same thing around Xmas and when I looked at their GotG, well, you really, really need to read Annihilation and Conquest before reading that title. And the series ends without a conclusion going directly into Thanos Imperative.

I told him to get Infinity Gauntlet instead...

Uthor fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 10, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's really worth reading, but I totally get not wanting to get invested in 12 or so trades worth of material just to get to the start of Guardians.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I went into that big cosmic reading order last year and was really happy for it. All the main stuff by Abnett and Lanning was really good, especially Nova. Some of the tie ins can be skipped (I didn't bother with Son of Hulk). I highly recommend it. Made me like everyone of the characters so much more. I prefer it to the current GotG.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I started at Annihilation too, and the fact that GotG doesn't start until after Conquest is kind of irrelevant; it's all the same fun superhero space opera.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I like that whole DnA run, I just meant that the GotG part of the run does not stand on its own. It is very much tied in with all the other events happening at the time. It comes directly out of Conquest taking no time to introduce the characters, it ties into War/Realm of Kings, it ends with a cliffhanger that is resolved in Thanos Imperative, it even gets side tracked by Secret Invasion by the fourth issue. It's not a good stand alone series to give someone that's a fan of the movie.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Oh absolutley, what I was trying to get at was that if you liked the movie, starting at the pre-Annihilation stuff and working your way through is a good move, even though the named GotG team-up doesn't come until quite a way into the story.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
I just started Annihilation too!

It loving owns. That is my review.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is the new Spider-Man 2099 worth a look? I liked the old series and consider Peter David one of my very favorites.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is the new Spider-Man 2099 worth a look? I liked the old series and consider Peter David one of my very favorites.

I would say yes. There is a catch that might stop you from reading it, though: It is not, in fact, set in 2099. I've never read the old series, but you apparently have, so if you really love the setting, well then... yeah. Also it gets sucked into Spider-Verse nonsense pretty soon, although the 2099 issues are actually some of the best parts of Spider-Verse, and they do take place in 2099.

I'd say it's worth a read though, it has that same charm that David brings to his other work.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
I really loved Soule's she-hulk. What else should I read for fun green lawyer stuff? I am already going to check out Slott's run.

e: already checked out Fraction's FF.

Mahasamatman fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 12, 2015

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
So before Secret Wars hits, I want to read through everything involving the incursions arc that Hickman's been writing. Should I start with his Avengers and New Avengers run, or do I need to go back and start with Infinity? In general, I think out of everything I'm interested in seeing Black Panther's perspective on the whole situation, seeing as how it's been described to me that he's almost the main character of the whole situation, so any tie-ins from other series involving him from more recent arcs as well would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Infinity is just a part of Avengers/New Avengers. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kXN9H4EYsw8c_QeDdSdemJioWeAqXAnznwTtPGUoBmE/edit#gid=0 Here is a reading order courtesy of redbackground

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Circutron posted:

So before Secret Wars hits, I want to read through everything involving the incursions arc that Hickman's been writing. Should I start with his Avengers and New Avengers run, or do I need to go back and start with Infinity? In general, I think out of everything I'm interested in seeing Black Panther's perspective on the whole situation, seeing as how it's been described to me that he's almost the main character of the whole situation, so any tie-ins from other series involving him from more recent arcs as well would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Just his Avengers and New Avengers run as Infinity is part of it.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Infinity happens at the end of the first third of his Avengers/New Avengers run. Read Avengers up to 17, New Avengers up to 8 and then start with the Infinity reading order.

Then after that just flip between Avengers and New Avengers. They are telling two aspects of a similar story so they get closer and closer to each other as we approach Secret Wars.

e) beaten like alternate versions of the Illuminati.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Daredevil very quickly became my favorite superhero and the Netflix series trailer got me hyped as hell. What are some other good reads? I've read:

Frank Miller's Daredevil
Born Again
Man Without Fear
Daredevil: Yellow
Bendis' Daredevil
Brubaker's Daredevil
End of Days
Waid's Daredevil

Stuff with Gladiator, Typhoid Mary, Purple Man (yes I've read Alias), and maybe The Owl would be cool. I've read a lot of Elektra/Bullseye/Kingpin stuff by now, so focus on his lesser villains would be cool. His journeys in San Francisco or with Black Widow (not the current run) would be sweet too.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

SMP posted:

Daredevil very quickly became my favorite superhero and the Netflix series trailer got me hyped as hell. What are some other good reads? I've read:

Frank Miller's Daredevil
Born Again
Man Without Fear
Bendis' Daredevil
Brubaker's Daredevil
End of Days
Waid's Daredevil

Stuff with Gladiator, Typhoid Mary, Purple Man (yes I've read Alias), and maybe The Owl would be cool. I've read a lot of Elektra/Bullseye/Kingpin stuff by now, so focus on his lesser villains would be cool. His journeys in San Francisco or with Black Widow (not the current run) would be sweet too.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439888&perpage=40

Join us..

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

SMP posted:

Frank Miller's Daredevil
Born Again
Man Without Fear
Bendis' Daredevil
Brubaker's Daredevil
End of Days
Waid's Daredevil

That's about every good Daredevil comic in existence! Save for Ann Nocenti/John Romita run - It is quite excellent, but off-beat at times.
Owl is featured in the Superior Foes of Spider-Man, but it is a comedy book.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SMP posted:

Daredevil very quickly became my favorite superhero and the Netflix series trailer got me hyped as hell. What are some other good reads?

You might enjoy "The Death of Jean DeWolff". It's a Spider-Man story, but Daredevil figures significantly in it.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I'll definitely check out Nocenti's run next then. It also seems like there's a fair few miniseries that people like too (like Daredevil: Noir), so I'll check them out with the Death of Jean DeWolff. Thanks!

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I wanted a recommendation on action-y team superhero comics. Things in the genre I've read and enjoyed a lot:
Chris Claremont's Uncanny X-Men
Grant Morrison's Justice League
Warren Ellis' Stormwatch and Authority
I've been catching up with Avengers by Jonathan Hickman (just finished Infinity) but not liking the bad pacing and poor character work; I find it reads like a movie trailer of itself. Maybe New Avengers is better about this?
I've also got Morrison's X-Men lined up for reading.

What are some other good comics that also happen to be about action and superhero teams? Is there any Avengers (and affiliated titles) run/storyline that's considered really good?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Cyphoderus posted:

I've been catching up with Avengers by Jonathan Hickman (just finished Infinity) but not liking the bad pacing and poor character work; I find it reads like a movie trailer of itself. Maybe New Avengers is better about this?

Avengers and New Avengers are meant to be read together! Did you read any New Avengers during Infinity?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Cyphoderus posted:

You done hosed up.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Senor Candle posted:

Avengers and New Avengers are meant to be read together! Did you read any New Avengers during Infinity?
I read the Infinity issues of New Avengers, but not the entire thing. Are they supposed to be read together at all times?

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 23, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Have you read Ellis' Global Frequency? That's a great, short, action-y comic. There's...kind of a team element.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Cyphoderus posted:

I wanted a recommendation on action-y team superhero comics. Things in the genre I've read and enjoyed a lot:
Chris Claremont's Uncanny X-Men
Grant Morrison's Justice League
Warren Ellis' Stormwatch and Authority
I've also got Morrison's X-Men lined up for reading.

What are some other good comics that also happen to be about action and superhero teams? Is there any Avengers (and affiliated titles) run/storyline that's considered really good?

After you finish Morrison's New X-Men you should try Uncanny X-Force, it is a really good and stylish story that rides his concepts extremely well.
Secret Avengers by Warren Ellis is very short (6 issues I think), but it is a great team comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

After you finish Morrison's New X-Men you should try Uncanny X-Force, it is a really good and stylish story that rides his concepts extremely well.
Secret Avengers by Warren Ellis is very short (6 issues I think), but it is a great team comic.
To be clear I'm sure he's talking about Remender's Uncanny X-Force, not Humpries

Cyphoderus posted:

I read the Infinity issues of New Avengers, but not the entire thing. Are they supposed to be read together at all times?

Pretty much! There is a reading order posted a ways up in this thread.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 23, 2015