Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Some places have been doing this weird thing where you can buy a base sandwich for dirt rear end cheap but then basically everything you would actually put on it up charges it. Sheetz has been doing this and acting like they cut the prices but really, your meatball with cheese sub stayed exactly the same; you just pay for a plain sub then pay for cheese now. Of course Sheetz made it easier to customize stuff with a touch screen but on the other hand they made it really easy to inadvertently create a $14 sub.

Granted my sub preference is "regular cold cut with a gently caress ton of onions" so I don't really pay attention to this stuff. I'm easy to please, just give me a lot of onions.

Does Donkey still live with you or did he finally decide to move out of the swamp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Grilled chicken breast on italian herb and cheese bread with pepperjack cheese toasted, adding spinach, cucumbers, and sweet onion oil is what I usually get at Subway. It's not hard to build your own sandwich.

I haven't really noticed any marketing for the PSVita, which is really sad because Sony's had so many bat-poo poo insane marketing decisions in the past. :(

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
Publix Supermarkets have the best subs and I have never seen a single commercial for them.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I can't believe I'm surprised that "ordering a sandwich" is also something goons get anxiety about.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

When I went in for my last license renewal, I timed it. I stepped through the door at 1:00 P.M. on a Saturday (the busiest day, because everyone's off work) and was back in my car by 1:15. That includes the computerized written test I had to take and the time it took for them to take my photo and print my new ID.

I've had slower service at Taco Bell.

A majority of the facilities are new/newly-renovated, minimize paper use, and are actually staffed by (more than two) friendly human beings. The testing machines are state-of-the-art touchscreen affairs, and every piece of equipment is optimized for speed. Some facilities even have a drive-thru window. No joke. Take them a check for your registration renewal, they hand you a new sticker and your receipt, and you drive the gently caress away.

An important part was how it was marketed, however--it's not "the DMV" anymore. Now, it's the Driver's Services Facility. That's where you go for fast, friendly service. "The DMV" is something else.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

Publix Supermarkets have the best subs and I have never seen a single commercial for them.

Same for their fried chicken.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

D.N. Nation posted:

Same for their fried chicken.

Pro-tip: Combine the best subs and the best fried chicken and get the Chicken Tender Sub. All other sandwiches pale in comparison

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

Super Waffle posted:

Pro-tip: Combine the best subs and the best fried chicken and get the Chicken Tender Sub. All other sandwiches pale in comparison

I do not doubt your claim however after eating their subs for at least half my life I just realized I can pick whatever meat from the cool deli side I want vs what they have behind the counter. This was a loving revelation in my otherwise boring life.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The DMV owns now, and Subway makes a poo poo tier sandwich for too much money. Also, choice paralysis is a real thing.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Jastiger posted:

Subway I know is guilty of this. If you get the chicken bacon sandwhich its one price, if you get a chicken sandwhich and "add meat: Bacon" to it, I am pretty sure you pay more.

Not if the cashier is doing their job right (both of those should be rung up as a chicken bacon ranch), but any base sandwich that doesn't have bacon or avocado normally is gonna cost extra to add those.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Not if the cashier is doing their job right (both of those should be rung up as a chicken bacon ranch), but any base sandwich that doesn't have bacon or avocado normally is gonna cost extra to add those.

Well if there's anyone I trust to ring things in correctly it's the teenager working at Subway for minimum wage :)

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

This probably counts, pushing an app that 'is nothing like snapchat' and has no trace of your messages stored.

Go ahead! No one's looking honest :laugh:

http://thechive.com/2015/02/05/welcome-to-the-first-truly-private-messaging-app-for-your-life/

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

This is why my answer is always: gently caress everything but Wawa. No hidden costs, I use a touchscreen and they get my sandwich right, and I've actually heard Joy Division over the loudspeakers while pumping gas.

Wawa 4 lyfe <3

To bring us vaguely back on topic: come to think of it, I've never heard a Wawa ad on radio or seen a TV ad. How do they do it?

edit: I know this is "dumb marketing moves", but I feel like somehow Wawa has transgressed "NO marketing moves" into "BEST marketing" by just delivering quality food and $1.97 gas. Who'da thunkit?

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 20:32 on Feb 8, 2015

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Sappo569 posted:

This probably counts, pushing an app that 'is nothing like snapchat' and has no trace of your messages stored.

Cyber Dust sounds like a drug bad guys would peddle in a 90s cyberpunk novel

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

I used to live in Florida, and I can vouch for how true this is. Also their chicken is great too.

I miss Publix.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

kazil posted:

Well if there's anyone I trust to ring things in correctly it's the teenager working at Subway for minimum wage :)

In this case they probably will, because it's fewer button presses. The chicken bacon ranch gets its own button, so you don't have to press the "add bacon" button. The real fortunate thing though is they upgraded their registers in the past year, so you don't have to worry about the cashier forgetting to press the discount buttons because it's automatic now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

In this case they probably will, because it's fewer button presses. The chicken bacon ranch gets its own button, so you don't have to press the "add bacon" button. The real fortunate thing though is they upgraded their registers in the past year, so you don't have to worry about the cashier forgetting to press the discount buttons because it's automatic now.

McDonalds had my favorite upgrade. When I worked there in high school the registers were all done with words that required reading. A few years back I was hard up for a job and went back to working there and that system was replaced with one that's 100% pictures.

So now when they take forever to ring things in and mess up it's even sadder.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Please God tell me this isn't what marketing to Millennials is about?!????

http://youtu.be/fcAj3lOyv3s

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

A Man and his dog posted:

That whole thing made me want to carpet bomb a small country :911:

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

This is why my answer is always: gently caress everything but Wawa. No hidden costs, I use a touchscreen and they get my sandwich right, and I've actually heard Joy Division over the loudspeakers while pumping gas.

Wawa 4 lyfe <3

To bring us vaguely back on topic: come to think of it, I've never heard a Wawa ad on radio or seen a TV ad. How do they do it?

edit: I know this is "dumb marketing moves", but I feel like somehow Wawa has transgressed "NO marketing moves" into "BEST marketing" by just delivering quality food and $1.97 gas. Who'da thunkit?

Wawa is a dumb marketing move in NOT loving EXPANDING.

I miss my Wawa. I live on italian subs and the steak quesos there.

And you never heard the hoagiefest ads? NBC10 used to air em on broadcast, and I know YSP used to as well...dunno what area of their wonderful locations you're from, but they definitely did advertise on radio and occasionally on TV in Philly.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Joey Tatro was kinda funny / self-aware... What the gently caress happened :smith:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up863eQKGUI

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

AA is for Quitters posted:

Wawa is a dumb marketing move in NOT loving EXPANDING.

I miss my Wawa. I live on italian subs and the steak quesos there.

Unsure where you're at but here in FL WaWas have sprung up across from every other 7/11 for the past couple years. I had no idea what they were prior to their arrival and now I don't go anywhere else! Of course my friend's finance from Philly says they're no comparison to Sheets, whatever THOSE are!

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Unsure where you're at but here in FL WaWas have sprung up across from every other 7/11 for the past couple years. I had no idea what they were prior to their arrival and now I don't go anywhere else! Of course my friend's finance from Philly says they're no comparison to Sheets, whatever THOSE are!

If your friend's fiance is truely from Philly, he's a traitor rear end in a top hat. (Kidding, but he's probably from out closer to the middle of the state)

Sheetz start around Harrisburg and extend out past Pittsburgh. I don't think their stuff is as good, but I'll freely admit I'm biased.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Sheetz. And she's wrong.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Sometimes I get the feeling these Truth ads are made as obnoxious as possible in order to reflect the contempt of the tobacco companies that are being forced to pay for them.

spider bethlehem
Oct 5, 2007
Makin with the stabbins

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Sometimes I get the feeling these Truth ads are made as obnoxious as possible in order to reflect the contempt of the tobacco companies that are being forced to pay for them.

To the best of my knowledge, this is literally exactly what is going on, with a side order of using language that's supposed to pseudoscience you into wanting a cigarette. Supposedly that's what's with those orange banners - it's supposed to encourage that viewer to make an impulsive decision (to smoke a cigarette)

Note: I heard this from a marketing person, and marketers are by their very nature evil

spider bethlehem
Oct 5, 2007
Makin with the stabbins
Unapologetic double post for what is, without a doubt, my favorite commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1GWtil1RMc

It's actually fairly restrained for an asian market ad, and I know I saw it aired in the states at some point, but jesus christ, burger king, are you trying to corner the previously underserved snake person demographic is that what's happening here

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

spider bethlehem posted:

To the best of my knowledge, this is literally exactly what is going on, with a side order of using language that's supposed to pseudoscience you into wanting a cigarette. Supposedly that's what's with those orange banners - it's supposed to encourage that viewer to make an impulsive decision (to smoke a cigarette)

Note: I heard this from a marketing person, and marketers are by their very nature evil
The tobacco companies have to fund those dumb ads, but they don't have any part in actually making them for incredibly obvious reasons.

spider bethlehem
Oct 5, 2007
Makin with the stabbins

Whatev posted:

The tobacco companies have to fund those dumb ads, but they don't have any part in actually making them for incredibly obvious reasons.

Dude this is America, "incredibly obvious conflicts of interest" is basically our number one contribution to the information economy. As far as I can find out however you are correct - they're made by the American Legacy Foundation, which is funded by but not run by tobacco companies as part of the Master Settlement Agreement between the US and US tobacco companies.

By way of apology:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Wait....do smokers right (left? IDK) swipe other smokers?

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

Of course my friend's finance from Philly says they're no comparison to Sheets, whatever THOSE are!

I know, right? Of course!

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Rondette posted:

Right is "Hot", Left is "Not", so I'd imagine they would swipe right for their own ilk.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

Rondette posted:

As a smoker, I like girls who also smoke. Most of my friends smoke and share that opinion, so I would say yes.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

People still smoke in 2015? Seems like everyone I know that used to smoke has quit by now.

It's bad for you.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

It's bad for you.

hosed up if true. source please?

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

People still smoke in 2015? Seems like everyone I know that used to smoke has quit by now.

It's bad for you.

Probably 60% of men in my state (VT) in the 16-30 demographic smoke or chew. Maybe like 25-30% of women smoke and only the really, really redneck ones chew. They ran an anti-chew campaign aimed at teens centered around trucks and mudding a year or two ago but I can't find it online.

salty fries make me cry has a new favorite as of 08:43 on Feb 11, 2015

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
People still chew tobacco outside of Wild West recreation societies? (I assume those probably exist)

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Tons of guys chew in Texas. 19-year-olds walking around carrying a Mountain Dew bottle to spit in. It's gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

People still chew tobacco outside of Wild West recreation societies? (I assume those probably exist)

It's really popular anywhere where there is a large amount of rednecks. From what I can tell, it's mainly popular with people who work manual labor jobs who work indoors or need two hands/would rather have a dip in for a couple hours than keep lighting up cigs.

I live in the second biggest city in Vermont which is still rural as gently caress and pretty much every guy under 30 smokes or chews. My roommate leaves his spitters all over the house and it's gross as hell, at least my butts are confined to the porch.

Also cigarette taxes have gone up by $4 (which is good since it goes to education but sucks for my wallet) since I started in '08 while chew is barely taxed so it's much more enticing to teens. I think a tin of chew is like maybe $3 versus the ~$8 a pack of smokes costs me now.

salty fries make me cry has a new favorite as of 09:24 on Feb 11, 2015