Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Three Pixel posted:

I feel like before the first group play I should make helmets in the player colors for ultimate effect.

Everyone needs to wear color-coded clothes as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Bruceski posted:

Everyone needs to wear color-coded clothes as well.

I'd need to start each game with a random Sentai/PR opening song to help set the mood.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Pinwiz11 posted:

I'd need to start each game with a random Sentai/PR opening song to help set the mood.
Also acceptable.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Oh yeah, since we were talking about boardgame videos/reviewers, I like Rab Florence from rockpapershotgun for a "it's just fun" point of view. He's like the awesome scottish version of Tom Vasel.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/29/cardboard-children-rabs-top-50-40-31/

I think his review of Chaos in the Old World from a few years ago pushed me over the top. I also vaguely remember watching the dice tower review before and being hesitant because I thought they were legitimate and play a million games like CitOW and if they didn't like it then maybe it's a lightweight or something ..

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 11, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

I'm going to assume you meant this

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dammit. Now two-player Final Attack will never measure up to the standards I'm now holding it to.

Edit I really want to back the kickstarter, but I'm not sure if I can justify $50 for a game I'll only ever play solo. No matter how good a solo experience it is.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Oh yeah, since we were talking about boardgame videos/reviewers, I like Rab Florence from rockpapershotgun for a "it's just fun" point of view. He's like the awesome scottish version of Tom Vasel.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/29/cardboard-children-rabs-top-50-40-31/

I think his review of Chaos in the Old World from a few years ago pushed me over the top. I also vaguely remember watching the dice tower review before and being hesitant because I thought they were legitimate and play a million games like CitOW and if they didn't like it then maybe it's a lightweight or something ..

Rab is so Ameritrash he put Cosmic Encounter at position zero in his top 50 favourite games. Seriously look at his top 5 games:

quote:

Favorite Game of all Times: Cosmic Encounter
01: Spartacus
02: Space Hulk
03: Talisman
04: Mall of Horror + City of Horror
05: Ascending Empires
06: Chaos in the Old World
07: Cyclades
08: Mage Knight
09: Magical Athlete
10: Tales of the Arabian Night

He also has a pretty grating writing style IMO but some people probably like it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Tuesday board game night trip report: arrived at 6:00 (ostensibly when board game night starts at the store), and by the time I made my excuses and left early at a quarter to eight people were just finally getting around to starting maybe playing a board game. In that time I ordered and ate a sandwich from the cafe next door, listened to a guy talk excitedly about the fluctuations in Magic card prices for 90 minutes, and browsed the internet on my phone while me and the owner sat across the table from each other waiting for pretty much anybody else to either show up or descend from the upstairs "wargames and Magic playing" space.

The owner's a cool dude, it's a pretty nice store, but I have to admit I'm intensely beginning to regret the $130-some-odd I spent on board games thinking "oh man, this is gonna be so great to play board games regularly again." I feel like I'm the only person showing up on Tuesdays really excited at the prospect of some board gaming while for everybody else it's just general nerd social gathering night at the game store, with maybe a board game or two.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bubble-T posted:

Rab is so Ameritrash he put Cosmic Encounter at position zero in his top 50 favourite games. Seriously look at his top 5 games:
To be fair, I've heard good things about Spartacus, and Space Hulk isn't a bad game, just an old one. Not to mention CitOW and Mage Knight (and TotAN's brief but very real time as a 'great game' before we realized the flaws).

Kai Tave posted:

The owner's a cool dude, it's a pretty nice store, but I have to admit I'm intensely beginning to regret the $130-some-odd I spent on board games thinking "oh man, this is gonna be so great to play board games regularly again." I feel like I'm the only person showing up on Tuesdays really excited at the prospect of some board gaming while for everybody else it's just general nerd social gathering night at the game store, with maybe a board game or two.
Bring a filler game, even a 2p one, to play with the owner while you wait for people to show up. Bonus points if it's something that's interesting to watch, or makes people come over to see what it is. Hive is good for this. It'll get people intrigued, and then leading into actual playing, when you answer their questions by pulling out a little something called Love Letter.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 11, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Edit: Double post.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Poison Mushroom posted:

To be fair, I've heard good things about Spartacus, and Space Hulk isn't a bad game, just an old one. Not to mention CitOW and Mage Knight (and TotAN's brief but very real time as a 'great game' before we realized the flaws).

Bring a filler game, even a 2p one, to play with the owner while you wait for people to show up. Bonus points if it's something that's interesting to watch, or makes people come over to see what it is. Hive is good for this.

All right board game thread, what are some good, and if possible inexpensive and easy to transport 2 player board games? Actually I'll expand that to "2 or 3 player" for some flexibility, assume we already have a store copy of Dominion on hand but I'd like some variety rather than "sounds like everyone's upstairs doing whatever the gently caress, time to play Dominion again." I know, I know, it's tradgoon heresy but Dominion gets old after a while.

edit; okay, so tell me about Love Letter then. Or anything really, gently caress it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
A handful of PnP Yomi decks.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I cautiously liked Rab's columns for a while and then that baffling Midnight Table thing happened, a brief transient episode he's never spoken about since. What was that? Did he get depressed? Why rework your entire column from the perspective of a talking table, convincing your readership you're crazy in the process? I just want to understand

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

All right board game thread, what are some good, and if possible inexpensive and easy to transport 2 player board games? Actually I'll expand that to "2 or 3 player" for some flexibility, assume we already have a store copy of Dominion on hand but I'd like some variety rather than "sounds like everyone's upstairs doing whatever the gently caress, time to play Dominion again." I know, I know, it's tradgoon heresy but Dominion gets old after a while.

edit; okay, so tell me about Love Letter then. Or anything really, gently caress it.

Love Letter, Coup, Hive and Hanabi off the top of my head.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kai Tave posted:

Fluxx is really fun as a 2-player game and it's just a deck of cards.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

Tash-Kalar tossed into a gallon ziplock bag.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

General Battuta posted:

I cautiously liked Rab's columns for a while and then that baffling Midnight Table thing happened, a brief transient episode he's never spoken about since. What was that? Did he get depressed? Why rework your entire column from the perspective of a talking table, convincing your readership you're crazy in the process? I just want to understand

quote:

I will be talking about the experiences I see other people having. Will all these experiences happen at midnight? I don’t know. Will I be taking my Midnight Table to somewhere near you? Will you sit with me at it someday? I don’t know. But I know that the Midnight Table has to exist in reality, and everything I write from here on in needs to be about that one, beautiful thing, and all the beautiful people who sit at it, and all the beautiful games they play.

It feels, in a way, like I’m leaving. Or at least fading into the background.

So, goodbye then.

Our table is waiting.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/05/the-midnight-table-a-forgotten-dream/

quote:

“It is midnight and my name is James Purefoy, star of SOLOMON KANE (available on Bluray NOW). What the gently caress is the deal with this table business? I came here to hang with my old buddy Robert Florence, to laugh at his hobbies and ask him about his “career”, such as it is, and what do I find? A talking table, and some guy dressed as a mad monk, and a lot of talk about the wisdom of trees and mysticism. Seriously, it’s like a loving M. Night Shyamalan script up in here. One of the bad ones. Which is all of them.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/10/the-midnight-table-kemet/

Yeah, he's kind of a spaz but I guess I don't mind. I think it goes hand in hand with the sort of manic reviews.

Another weird one: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/05/cardboard-children-the-unopened-box/

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

No it's not, fluxx is terrible.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I've always wanted to play Ascending Empires. The idea of combining a 4x type of game with a dexterity game just seemed so ridiculous that I feel like I need to experience it. I recall reading about a bunch of issues with the board not being perfectly flat and loving up the shuffle puck maneuvers, though.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Rutibex posted:

As someone who has, in this very thread, gone to bat for Fluxx when it was being lumped together with Munchkin and Cards Against Humanity, I would honestly rather stay home and become even more of an antisocial recluse than drive 20 minutes to the game store after work to play Fluxx with a casual acquaintance once a week.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

bowmore posted:

No it's not, fluxx is terrible.

Fluxx is both less terrible and less "fun" with fewer players since it's much faster and easier to win.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Fluxx is worse than Munchkin and Cards Against Humanity

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Who cares about ranking them against each other when all three are garbage no matter how you slice it?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

bowmore posted:

Fluxx is worse than Munchkin and Cards Against Humanity

Having played all three, I disagree.

(Still waiting for John Kovalic to illustrate Munchkins Against Humanity, c'mon Steve Jackson, there's probably a little bit of your soul left you can sell.)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't mind CAH with my stupid friends and champagne

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
If you "want" to play Fluxx, play Red 7 instead. It's like a gamer's Fluxx with the constantly changing rule, but is actually a good game.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Kai Tave posted:

All right board game thread, what are some good, and if possible inexpensive and easy to transport 2 player board games?

Summoner wars. The starter box works well, then you can get more armies as needed.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

rchandra posted:

Fluxx is both less terrible and less "fun" with fewer players since it's much faster and easier to win.

This guy knows what he's talking about. Don't play with more than 2 and Fluxx is great, like a complicated Love Letter.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

bowmore posted:

I didn't mind CAH with my stupid friends and champagne

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Let's be fair, enough alcohol can probably make any game seem like the perfect blend of luck and skill.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

Let's be fair, enough alcohol can probably make any game seem like the perfect blend of luck and skill.
you don't need luck or skill for CAH, just booze

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

bowmore posted:

you don't need luck or skill for CAH, just booze

I've played that game before. Turns out you don't need CAH either.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

As has been said, if you're hanging out with your friends and drinking and just want a thing to do while you drink and socialize, a lot of "bad" games will fit the bill.

That doesn't make them not bad games.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

Race/Roll for the Galaxy, Carcassonne, Asante, Castles of Burgundy and Star Realms are all good with 2 and outside of Burgundy dont require much to set up.

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Biblios is great for $20. Plays in 20-30 minutes and is just a deck of cards and some dice, but you don't roll them! 1st half of the game is drafting, the second half is auctioning the undrafted cards.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Getting a bunch of good suggestions, thanks.

I admit I'm interested in trying Tash-Kalar anyway since I've heard it talked up before, I've yet to try a Vlaada game, and if it plays good with just 2 then even better. I think the store actually has a copy of Love Letter and might have Coup, I'll need to check. I know nothing about Race/Roll For the Galaxy other than hearing people here mention them a bunch but that's what got me to buy Kemet which is fun so okay.

I admit I'm not too keen on Carcassonne. Like, it's not bad but it's sort of tied with Catan in terms of "game I've played a lot before that I don't really have much interest in playing again." There is an in-store copy, it's an option I guess, but I'd rather try something else.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

PerniciousKnid posted:

Isn't "more work per player" effectively what Space Alert does? (Which I think works fine, as far as it goes.)

Yeah? Ish? I just don't think Dummy Players are an elegant mechanism, and they also require players to think and plan along a new axis they otherwise wouldn't even consider. There's a reason why 1P Space Alert doesn't use the soundtrack.

The Little Duckling is what Space Alert needed; an elegant transition from big group mechanics to small group mechanics. It's still the same game, effectively, but the action economy is better balanced to the amount of players without requiring the players' brains to absolutely fill in the gap. While 2P and 1P Final Attack! do up the amount of things a player can do, the Will requirements to combine scale cleanly in such a way that "things a player can do" more translates to being in 2 places at once as opposed to having to move 2 dudes at once.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I've always wanted to play Ascending Empires. The idea of combining a 4x type of game with a dexterity game just seemed so ridiculous that I feel like I need to experience it. I recall reading about a bunch of issues with the board not being perfectly flat and loving up the shuffle puck maneuvers, though.

You really don't need to. The shuttle puck thing is a cool concept (and the slight board edges are fine if everyone is cool with the odd "anomaly" sending their scouts spiraling out of the galaxy), but the game itself is pretty underwhelming once you get beyond the thrill of flicking spaceships around. A game like catacombs did really creative things within the dexterity mechanic (e.g. a shield is a wooden token you put in front of your dude, or an arrow is a smaller token you put within an inch of your piece and flick). Ascending doesn't really do any of that, and the empire building game going on in the background is really uninspired.

If I put the components in front of you and asked you to design a game, I'd give you good odds of coming up with something a lot more fun than the designers did.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Glazius posted:

Honestly I'd at least give it a play unless the guy is rubbish at explaining games.

Nevvy Z posted:

Euphoria is ok, but it really benefits from five or six players. You can either place or scoop workers, and with more players you start getting more bumping and things. In smaller games a few of the characters are pretty unbalanced.

Thanks for the two posts about Euphoria, I'll give it a shot next time. I just had no idea about it because this guy always has new games and doesn't always have exciting or great games but I keep seeing that one and it's really pretty and BGG doesn't think it's terrible in rank so I figured I'd ask here. I'm just worried when I see a lot of dice because I think "super random" since most games don't handle dice as well as Castles of Burgundy. Is the game bad with less than 5? It seems like there are always 4-5 people playing but if we can't find 5-6 should I bail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

EvilChameleon posted:

Thanks for the two posts about Euphoria, I'll give it a shot next time. I just had no idea about it because this guy always has new games and doesn't always have exciting or great games but I keep seeing that one and it's really pretty and BGG doesn't think it's terrible in rank so I figured I'd ask here. I'm just worried when I see a lot of dice because I think "super random" since most games don't handle dice as well as Castles of Burgundy. Is the game bad with less than 5? It seems like there are always 4-5 people playing but if we can't find 5-6 should I bail?

I played with 4 and it was really solid.