Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I'm in silver somehow.

E: And losing a lot because I don't remember how to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kylra posted:

I'm in silver somehow.

E: And losing a lot because I don't remember how to play.

Let's play.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
stimpack the star craft thread because its a really good game

AutoSnakes
Apr 29, 2009

Mega64 posted:

The best RTS on the market is Warlocked on the Game Boy Color.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
todays lol of my gold league struggles

http://gfycat.com/WindyAnxiousAmericancrayfish

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Smythe posted:

todays lol of my gold league struggles

http://gfycat.com/WindyAnxiousAmericancrayfish

lmao

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i love you so much widow mines

i've been playing against the bots to try to get elss rusty and i've improved somehow since the olden days

i have a lot of trouble spending money while fighting but now i know that the #1 target in attacking an enemy base is their workers

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 10, 2015

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
What's the defense on PvT where they cheese by building a factory next to your base, then make a widow mine and walk it to your mineral line? You can't kill the factory before the widow mine is finished and you can't kill the widow mine before it walks to your mineral line, and you can't pull workers to kill it or it burrows right away. Is the only way to stop it to kill the factory before it's finished? I saw a pro game where the Terran did this and won.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Build a cannon?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Lemming posted:

What's the defense on PvT where they cheese by building a factory next to your base, then make a widow mine and walk it to your mineral line? You can't kill the factory before the widow mine is finished and you can't kill the widow mine before it walks to your mineral line, and you can't pull workers to kill it or it burrows right away. Is the only way to stop it to kill the factory before it's finished? I saw a pro game where the Terran did this and won.

you can kill the terran with units, and keep a timer in your mind of widowmines timing. leave 1 probe for it to shoot when its up, resume mining. etc. u can also just evac you probes to your expo. with warp core photon overcharge theres very little reason not to fast expand pvt

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i remember seeing a pro game years ago where some low masters dude was going up against a famous pro and he just went all-in with drones and came || this close to winning over the pro

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Bobnumerotres posted:

i remember seeing a pro game years ago where some low masters dude was going up against a famous pro and he just went all-in with drones and came || this close to winning over the pro

ftw

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Smythe posted:

you can kill the terran with units, and keep a timer in your mind of widowmines timing. leave 1 probe for it to shoot when its up, resume mining. etc. u can also just evac you probes to your expo. with warp core photon overcharge theres very little reason not to fast expand pvt

I had it happen to me when I was fast expanding, so I tried to move my workers, but mining off 1 base it took too long for me to get detection and fight it off and terran had expanded by then. In the pro game I watched he tried to do the 1 worker thing but he messed up once and lost a bunch of workers then lost. It looks like the answer is micro which is kind of lame because it seems way, way harder to defend than it does to execute.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
its also pretty ez to spot the cheese. if you scout with your 1st pylon probe go to his base and click his gas. if by the time u get there hes mined a shitload of gas (like 80 or smth) its indicative of some sort of fast tech cheese. that means start scouting like hell and get ready for something bullshit. like a proxy 2rax reaper, proxy factory, or proxy (or nonproxy) fast cloak banshee. clicking gas can tell u a lot. ill tbh im not good enough to click gas and read numbers during a game but thats what sum1 good would do

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lemming posted:

It looks like the answer is micro which is kind of lame because it seems way, way harder to defend than it does to execute.

thats the whole game though

fighting against zerg in general can be a micro nightmare while they just swarm poo poo up and press attack move

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i dont expand fast enough and the protoss hard ai just stomped me

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
terran bio (mmmm) (marine marauder medivac mine) vs ling bane muta is freakin intense!!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i cant split my marinres for poo poo so i lose every time

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

is there a magical armysplit button or is it truly just clicking 50 times a second

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Smythe posted:

its also pretty ez to spot the cheese. if you scout with your 1st pylon probe go to his base and click his gas. if by the time u get there hes mined a shitload of gas (like 80 or smth) its indicative of some sort of fast tech cheese. that means start scouting like hell and get ready for something bullshit. like a proxy 2rax reaper, proxy factory, or proxy (or nonproxy) fast cloak banshee. clicking gas can tell u a lot. ill tbh im not good enough to click gas and read numbers during a game but thats what sum1 good would do

I remember scouting and thinking his base looked weird but proxy stuff was usually garbage in WoL and I hadn't seen it before so I was caught off guard.

Bobnumerotres posted:

thats the whole game though

fighting against zerg in general can be a micro nightmare while they just swarm poo poo up and press attack move

You can get diamond easy by focusing on macro, that's what I did. Usually if I tried to micro I made it worse. No force field + 1a forever.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lemming posted:

You can get diamond easy by focusing on macro, that's what I did. Usually if I tried to micro I made it worse. No force field + 1a forever.

early banelings can be pretty loving horrible and theres no counter other than precision micro while zerg is just like *lol clicks in general direction of enemy base*

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
ffs i can't figure out what i'm doing wrong and my internet is too spotty to actually play online

i did hatch first 9 pool against terran hard AI and got my poo poo kicked in because I didn't have any early aggression, and it went MMM/siege tanks then transitioned to ravens and hellbats and i couldn't do poo poo

i tried doing ling -> muta

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
http://www.filedropper.com/multiplayer_1

here's like 4 games, two are working strats and two arent

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Don't worry about build order probably, make more workers, expand more, make more units. If you are losing to AI then these are the biggest problem you have. You probably routinely had 600+ minerals and stuff. Make it a lot less.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
the only reason i'm describing it with hatch first 9 pool is because it describes how i started out, not how i planned the whole thing

i just sort of do stuff arbitrarily, like dogs

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
when you're doing zvt and you notice that he, is rushing ultralisks and doesn't really have any great aoe besides that, it's great fun to build a million loving marines and just micro by right clicking all the utralisks so they die in a quarter second flat before they even get to you

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
what kind of fuckhead would rush ultras

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doctor Goat posted:

i'm in bronze remember

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

yeah honestly with how good mutas are ultras are a joke unit you get if you're absolutely crushing it

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
bhy the time you can get ultras you could have 400 zerglings and make them combine like voltron into the shape of an ultra

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i 'love' that all of the big expensive units like that are a complete waste of time except the protoss colossus. stuff like the tempest is only useful if someone else is rushing carriers or battlecruisers or something.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
ultras are real good if you can nydus them into a base but that's situational as hell

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ultra lina fester can b alright i guess esp if u got vipers for the ghetto dark swarm thing. idk zerg usually pwns my ghey rear end w/ muta ling bane or 9999 roach timing attach

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
*getting poo poo pushes in hard core by zerglings and banes and mutas* oh god im barely holding on *all th sudden u see 999 swarm host broodlings* erm maybe i can hold on *army slowly dies to free units* errrrrrr GG

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i am utter poo poo at using banelings, i dont know when to use them or how to balance out the gas usage

muta and roach are my two favorite units in the game

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the big endgame super units are so expensive that they're almost never worth it especially since even the biggest baddest thing gets killed in 1 second by a big swarm of marines

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that's what im saying. it's so retarded. you never really see them unless the early game battles are really inconclusive and both players are working their 5th base or whatever insane korean bullshit.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
any time i play the game is done before tier 3 but i'm a shitlord

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
they seem to be balancing the game towards faster and faster stuff and it looks like the legacy of the void is just a big ol' middle finger to the deathball thing, and the concept of late game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

• Locked thread