Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Flickering is actually worse than the Astronomicon getting shut down, because you're routinely losing ships in the Warp that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

MaliciousOnion posted:

Mars would probably declare itself independent, unless they were coerced otherwise. The other thing to consider is the high lords of Terra. If any one of them were not on Terra when poo poo went down, they could conceivably see this as an opportunity to become Emperor themselves. Then there's the assassin temples and the ministorum.

A good plot point would be to have all or most of a prominent chapter disappear in the post-event warp hiccup.

The way he's making it sound is that all of the Sol system is dark, so that'd include mars. So really you'd have all the forge worlds deciding is they're going to sick together or go independent or ally with all the little empires I expect would pop up.

And a whole chapter disappearing is what I was getting at with the entire imperial fists heading right to terra, never to be heard from again!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Suddenly surround the solar system with a crystal sphere. You can have the Fists sitting on chunks of rock and ice out in the Oort cloud, spending all their days desperately trying to breach the impenetrable barrier that has sprung up around the system, and fighting off the "voyeurs" who come to have a look.

A look at the bizarre and troubling activity going on inside.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
I'm looking for some advice modifying DH to be run with player classes as Temple Assassins (excluding Eversor). I have the Vindicare rules from Ascension; I can't really use it as is since it's built as an ascension class, but it looks like a good starting point on what a Temple Assassin should look like in a 40krpg.

This is my first time attempting a project like this, and I have that fun reverse-Midas touch when it comes to projects where everything I touch turns to poo poo, but UNTIL THAT HAPPENS, can anyone give me some advice on starting something like this, or roadblocks I might run into?

Related, are there any rules for poison or poison crafting in any of the 40krpgs?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Jothan posted:

Related, are there any rules for poison

Yes, plenty, in every system. Generally bundled up with drugs and consumables in the equipment sections.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's an ask. I'm not even sure which ones would work as PCs, they're all incredibly isolated roles.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

goatface posted:

That's an ask. I'm not even sure which ones would work as PCs, they're all incredibly isolated roles.

This is probably my biggest issue, yes.

I'm pretty sure I won't have too much problem making them playable, but having a system where in any combination of player classes, they all have a role. Like, from the fluff side, what the heck kinds of situations would require a TEAM of assassins? Usually one's enough, assembling several for the same task is almost unheard of. Almost, there are instances in canon, but having the classes mesh well and having foes and scenarios appropriate to a full party of assassins will probably maintain a solid position as "The Tough Part".

I'd like a session of this to focus more on having a single or a few targets, and the majority of the gameplay is setting up the kill or dealing with the aftermath if complications arise. This is also why I'm not starting Eversors as a player class, seeing as their two states of being come down to "In a Box" or "Glorifying Khorne".

edit: An "Only Eversor" game might be fun on its own merits but I'll try to stick to one project at a time here

Jothan fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 10, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They're not even aimed at the same targets a lot of the time. I suppose you could throw them after a paranoid Warlock/farseer.

Have a poisoner lead a mission where they obtain a toxin suitable and subtle enough to bypass Eldar defences. Then the Vindicare coordinates imperial troops for an attack on the stronghold, sniping commanders and producing a distraction big enough it allows the Callidus to infiltrate the Eldar upper echelons and deploy the poison to weaken/kill off a lot of the bodyguard. Finally the Culexus takes point on the assault against the Warlock proper and their remaining allies while the rest provide support.

Something like that. A lot of scenes where each has a leading role the others can provide support for. I'm not sure how well it would flow though.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

There's a few plot hooks I can grab off the top of my head that could get a varied team to work together; "Go kill this secret-cultist-Governor, but the people love him so make it look like X did it", "Head into this Demon World and kill X, Y, and Z and see if you can't get this incredibly important prisoner back alive"', "Help I stuck a Halo Device on an Eversor for shits+giggles now it's out of control who could have foreseen this help me destroy this unholy algamation of bad ideas", etc.

edit: Actually there's probably enough instaces of the Imperium Going Too Far with some combination of Warp Artifacts/Psykers/Technology/Demons/General Heresy that results in a rampaging monstrosity that we all need to work together to make sure no one finds out about this, ever I could just make that the purpose of the party. A cleanup crew for the Imperium's worst mistakes.

The scene structure seems like a good way to make absolutely sure no one is left on th sidelines for a mission (looking at you, Vanus temple), but I'm a bit wary of pointing out a player and going "this is where you do the thing you do" because I've found that I'm bad at expecting things of my players. In any case, right now I'm just focusing on as-is skills and talents available to the classes being balanced and useful.

On that note, lore-wise, how good is the average assassin be at a thing they don't focus in? Like, Callidus have great Fellowship, but what about int/per/etc.? I'm trying to decide if the stats should be 20 + 2d10 + temple specialties, or 30 + the same.

Jothan fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 10, 2015

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

MaliciousOnion posted:

Mars would probably declare itself independent, unless they were coerced otherwise. The other thing to consider is the high lords of Terra. If any one of them were not on Terra when poo poo went down, they could conceivably see this as an opportunity to become Emperor themselves. Then there's the assassin temples and the ministorum.

A good plot point would be to have all or most of a prominent chapter disappear in the post-event warp hiccup.

Werix posted:

The way he's making it sound is that all of the Sol system is dark, so that'd include mars. So really you'd have all the forge worlds deciding is they're going to sick together or go independent or ally with all the little empires I expect would pop up.

And a whole chapter disappearing is what I was getting at with the entire imperial fists heading right to terra, never to be heard from again!

Yeah, basically, no one can get into or out of Sol, and all of the information coming out of it is conflicting and misleading so it's not really any use. All of the super important governing bodies like the Inquisition or the Mechanicus are effectively nullified, leaving only their outside operations active to try and hold everything together. A traveling Inquisitor is likely to know just as much about what's going on as any random Space Marine (though they'll obviously still try and pass off that they know better than you and threaten things they can't possibly follow up on).

As for entire chapters going dark, I thought about it, and might still do it. Imperial Fists would be a good one for that as they're super important and they would logically be the first ones to zip right back to Terra once they got wind of poo poo going south. White Scars would probably be split between dealing with Huron and assaulting the webway since they don't really have anything holding them back from it anymore. Ultramarines are consolidating and expanding their mini-Empire, but don't let them hear you calling it that. Space Wolves and Black Templars are probably just going around doing business as usual (smiting the poo poo out of everything). Blood Angels dropped off the map for a while in order to figure out a way to fix their awful genetics. Other major players... I dunno yet.

sullat posted:

Boy, that seems like it would suck as far as interstellar trade goes? A lot of hive/mining worlds might not be able to depend on regular imports of food any more. Not sure the marines would care over much, since they survive on prayer and grit and organic nutrient-slurry, but it would be an opportunity for powerful psykers to bust out some "wrecker's lights" and lure fleets in to be salvaged.

Yeah, anything that's isolated is probably pretty boned in the long run. The plan is to set the game's timeline far enough in the future to where the bad stuff starts going down, but not too far to where it's completely hopeless. Powerful governing bodies would likely scoop up as many planets and operations as they could, turning one big Empire into thousands of small ones.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Flickering is actually worse than the Astronomicon getting shut down, because you're routinely losing ships in the Warp that way.

I was originally going to have it shut off, but I figured as long as it's on at least some of the time, that could imply that the Big E is still alive, and it holds the galaxy together for just a smidge longer. Or it could be a trap to lure everyone in!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Sticking a Halo Device on an Eversor would be a really good justification for shutting down an entire Segmentum, come to think of it.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I'd like to see a writeup of a world that gets reclassified as a deathworld after an inquisitor drops an eversor with a halo device on the surface for some reason.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

FireSight posted:

for some reason.

If he's on the planet, he's not on my ship.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
+++Astropathic Intercept+++
///+++ ERROR: HEADER DATA MISSING +++///

Label: Reclassification of Emprax IV from Alpha to Delta Tau
Destination: Inquisitor Pyros Opticus
Source: Inquisitor Deus Alc

I must reclassify Emprax IV from a Grade 19 Alpha classification (agricultural world, high productivity) to a Delta Tau classification with an Omega grade (death world, orbit prohibited). Travel to the system shall be punishable by death, and all records of the system and planet must be expunged. As per standard protocol all individuals with knowledge of Emprax will be reconditioned for servitor duty, traditional Adeptus Astartes exceptions apply. The 37th, 38th, and 39th Emprax Legions will be merged and designated as the 27314th Penal Legion and immediately rerouted for front line duty. Please contact the appropriate channels within the Commissariate to determine the appropriate personnel to manage the new regiment. All citizens of Emprax are declared excommunicatus traitorous, with Adeptus Arbite ordered to shoot on sight should any be found outside of the system. Preliminary estimates based on prior examples indicates an expected loss of 3.42 billion with a standard deviation of 2.31 billion.

May the Emperor have mercy on their souls.

Inquisitor Alc

Personal note addended:

Pyros I swear on the Golden Throne the next time the Officio decides to send an Eversor without clearing it with me I'm going to declare Exterminatus on ///DATA LOST///. Had they done so, they would have learned of our theory that the Governor has that infernal device molded into the grip of his power sword and that's why he's always holding it. Then they would have possibly avoided the possibility of the damned Eversor PICKING THE FORSAKEN THING UP. The drug-crazed freak probably thought killing the Governor's family with his own relic blade would be funny.

This is bad. Whatever xenos filth is contained within the Halo Device has merged with the Eversor, producing more of that brutal chemical cocktail. It's been a week and it hasn't exploded. In fact it seems to be getting faster. These auspex readings are terrifying. It's outrunning the bombardments. I think it's taunting us when it's not slaughtering entire cities.

For now our job is containment. We've already blasted every void capable ship on the surface, and continue to bombard anything with a power signature. I won't even bother with Exterminatus; the drat thing is far too smart for that. The best we can hope for is to ensure it can never leave the planet and hope it kills everything and dies of starvation.

Whatever you do, don't let the Eversor temple know about this.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 11, 2015

Sour Blossom
Apr 21, 2005
L O L 6 6
The last line sent a shiver down my spine. What a frightening thought.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
i got really excited cause I thought that was an intro to a RT or DH game

still great writing though

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
"My dear fellow Inquisitor, none were more surprised than I, when-"

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

A Halo-Eversor with a stealthy ship is a thing that killes sectors one planet at a time.
You can't even risk sending it to Eye, I think only the necrons have weapons designed to deal with something like that.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bribe the Eldar / unfreeze an Alpha psyker to hit the sector with a warp-storm. Hope the ship is in transit at the time.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Problem is, if he gets into the warp SOMETHING might offer him a deal. :cenobite:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Problem is, if he gets into the warp SOMETHING might offer him a deal. :cenobite:

At which point he goes 'Why that sounds interesting, I'll carefully consider everything you have to say and NAW gently caress IT RIP AND TEAR RIP AND TEAR-!'

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hey guys I've got this brilliant idea. We'll take the most unbalanced lunatic Eversors we have and fuse them with Halo devices, then we'll hurl them into the warp. Devoid of anything else to kill they'll kill all the demons and humanity will be safe from Chaos!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
I dunno, there are records of destroying something with a Halo device by throwing it into a star. You'd probably only lose a ship (while the Everhalo boards and slaughters the crew) while you hit it with a fleet worth of Nova Cannons.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

All this talk made me wonder, is the Eversor assasin the only weapon the Imperium designed specifically for terror?

Edit: Just remembered the Arco-flagallants.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

All this talk made me wonder, is the Eversor assasin the only weapon the Imperium designed specifically for terror?

Carcharadons?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The Night Lords legion, even before they went "well we hate the Imperium buuuuut we kinda hate Chaos too, but we hate the Imperium more so gently caress it" were all about terror tactics and psychological warfare in addition to actual warfare.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Many space marine legions are terrifying, but what I'm asking about is inflexible weapons that don't really make strategic sense.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Many space marine legions are terrifying, but what I'm asking about is inflexible weapons that don't really make strategic sense.

Sometimes you need alot of people to die, with a message more personal than bombardment

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

FireSight posted:

I'd like to see a writeup of a world that gets reclassified as a deathworld after an inquisitor drops an eversor with a halo device on the surface for some reason.

Deathworld-by-Eversorlo sounds like a cool concept for the fact that some people are still crazy enough to live on Deathworlds and I'm having fun thinking of what life would be like here.

Survival would be dependant on less fighting and defending against the terrifying environment and more dependant on constant mass evacuations, with the guarantee of survival of a city only based on the sacrifice of its slowest members, or for the fleeing masses to get too close to another mass of people and maybe the horrible skull man thing will change targets.

I'm imagining it was once a teeming hive world, since then the population has dropped by several orders of magnitude; the sprawling cities now only occupied by skittish scavengers, holing up with whatever they can find, warning their children that they must always be ready to run if the screams of that THING echo through the hive once more. Soldiers recruited from here are renown for their speed, survivability in rugged environments, and their constant paranoia that it's still following them.

There's probably also at least one cult dedicated to its worship. Because 40k.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

That sounds amazing but you'd have to come up with a way to prevent it from sneaking off planet.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A death cult following it around, killing anyone that survives for the crime of avoiding the holy wrath of His most noble assassin.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

That sounds amazing but you'd have to come up with a way to prevent it from sneaking off planet.

Maybe it doesn't want to get off the planet? If the hunting is good, there's no reason to move somewhere else.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't think they're meant to think that much. You deploy them onto a planet with "Go here, kill everyone, then come back to your freezer" orders and that's about it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The problem with Eversors is that they're not mindless killing machines. They're genetically engineered and conditioned to be completely dedicated and devoted to the destruction of everything. The same drugs that pump up the rest of their bodies also improve their cognitive functions as the adrenal injections slow down their sense of time like an overclocked computer. Now take that combination from hell and merge it with an ancient alien intelligence capable of transforming flesh into an immortal shell that thirsts for the blood of the living and you get what might gently be called A Bad Thing.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

goatface posted:

I don't think they're meant to think that much. You deploy them onto a planet with "Go here, kill everyone, then come back to your freezer" orders and that's about it.

Well, hey, we've found what's keeping it from going off-world! Somewhere on this hellscape, it's hidden the box it came in and its mental conditioning drives it to return now and then.

Wait, I can do that better. "Legends speak that somewhere, hidden in the most horrible depths of some lost underhive, lies a horrid black metal coffin, carved with ancient scripts and filled with arcane machinery. Here, the thing is driven, once for each slaughter it commits, to pause its eternal genocide and rest. Here, and only here, is the beast vulnerable."

Yeah, that. I'll go with that.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Welp, at least the masses will not learn the truth as third-stage halo device owner is no longer recognisable as human.

I really hope someone runs with this idea, it's too awesome to not be played.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The problem with Eversors is that they're not mindless killing machines. They're genetically engineered and conditioned to be completely dedicated and devoted to the destruction of everything. The same drugs that pump up the rest of their bodies also improve their cognitive functions as the adrenal injections slow down their sense of time like an overclocked computer. Now take that combination from hell and merge it with an ancient alien intelligence capable of transforming flesh into an immortal shell that thirsts for the blood of the living and you get what might gently be called A Bad Thing.

Then imagine what happens if the Tyranids eat it. ("Luckily" most of the biomass loss should be available for reclamation after/during the consumption process).

Although a lot of what makes an Eversor tick isn't exactly genetic, and who the gently caress knows what Halo Devices do to human biology and how much of that actually involves genetics.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Dark Heresy Second Edition: Enemies Within

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

So essentially black crusade compacts mixed with rogue trader achievement points, two systems I've never used or seen used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

It also mentions a framework for building/playing through investigations. Did anyone ever use the one in Book of Judgement? Over/under on this being another crappy rule tacked on a la Subtlety?