Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Freak Futanari posted:

Power wasn't a good song though.

WTF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Freak Futanari posted:

It is, actually

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

It samples a good King Crimson song but it is not a good song in itself.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Maybe it would be better if Kanye West didn't ride on the coattails of better musicians. Who knows...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Freak Futanari posted:

Maybe it would be better if Kanye West didn't ride on the coattails of better musicians. Who knows...
how can one person be so wrong about every single aspect of human culture

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
DAE born in le wrong generation?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Freak Futanari posted:

I don't care for Power, but it was perfect for the scene in Saints Row the Third.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

I don't care for Power, but it was perfect for the scene in Saints Row the Third.

A mediocre song for a mediocre game... Agreed.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Freak Futanari posted:

Oh I agree wholeheartedly but that scene was one of the highlights of that game.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Freak Futanari posted:

A meme song for a meme game... Agreed.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

DeathSandwich posted:

Yeah, think the dorm music from Persona 3 and you've got a pretty good idea about what Acid Jazz is.

Keeping it in games, there was an acid jazz remix album for Chrono Trigger which was alright. Acid jazz in general walks a thin line between cool and cheesy and that's a pretty good example. I have a feeling that P5 will get more right than it gets wrong in this area based on the last couple games.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Stuff like the Genesis is different to SR3's use of Power, though, in that The Genesis is specifically intended for that moment. It's intended to go along with exactly that fight, so it's at its best if you let it come at full force for that moment. For me that works best if I just don't know the song before and it hits me out of nowhere, but I can see it being otherwise for other people.

I'd also say that this sort of thing is a lot more prevalent in turn-based RPGs than other genres, because you are taking it slow and there's not too much in the way of varied visual stimuli. You're very active in SR3, so you don't have a chance to actively listen to Power when it plays, but there's a lot less to focus on in a fight like Izanami.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Freak Futanari posted:

Screams from the haters got a nice ring to it

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Freak Futanari posted:

Freak Futanari posted:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iJFSoPk-CU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Why post the inferior mix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GxA4yD9d6w

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy
do you think that kanye west would ever do a soundtrack for an anime game like persona, or is that niche regulated to fruity poo poo like pharrell williams?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

TurnipFritter posted:

Well as long as it doesn't pull a P2 and use a very literal, unambiguous spoiler as a song title, y'all should be fine.

"Huh, It Turns Out Your Best Friend Was The Bad Guy All Along (Instrumental Ver.)"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Necronomoticon posted:

do you think that kanye west would ever do a soundtrack for an anime game like persona, or is that niche regulated to fruity poo poo like pharrell williams?
I know a rapper we can get to do the OST:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Necronomoticon posted:

It's not like Western rap and Persona would be a new union.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goh5SOqr8sI&t=17s

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Hey guys check out my avi

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Necronomoticon posted:

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Heya guys, playing through Overclocked for the second time. Managed to get it so on the 6th day I have access to every route. I was wondering - are Kaido and Naoya's routes the same? If so, are they exactly the same on both the 7th and 8th days, or do they differ at some point? Is there a point in seeing both? Would appreciate the heads-up

I like this because the tweet in question was referencing a video from just some youtube nerd that at the time had less than 1000 views, but Kanye still felt he had to say his piece.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

They're exactly the same to the point where doing one route adds both characters' portraits to the save screen.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Calico Heart posted:

Heya guys, playing through Overclocked for the second time. Managed to get it so on the 6th day I have access to every route. I was wondering - are Kaido and Naoya's routes the same? If so, are they exactly the same on both the 7th and 8th days, or do they differ at some point? Is there a point in seeing both? Would appreciate the heads-up

I like this because the tweet in question was referencing a video from just some youtube nerd that at the time had less than 1000 views, but Kanye still felt he had to say his piece.

they share the same route. apparently that wasn't the case in the original, but i only played overclocked where they got merged.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

no way rhianna is better than kanye. NOOOO WAY! sorry, just reading a top ten r&b artists list on pitchfork

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Inflammatory posted:

they share the same route. apparently that wasn't the case in the original, but i only played overclocked where they got merged.

Nah, they were always identical.

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy

hubris.height posted:

no way rhianna is better than kanye. NOOOO WAY! sorry, just reading a top ten r&b artists list on pitchfork

Entry number one:

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/9465-the-top-100-albums-of-2010-2014/5/

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

That seems... really weird (and maybe oddly lazy?), considering the enormous lengths the game goes to with it's story. What, when you start one route does the other character just join the party and say "I agree let's do this".

i dunno. I beat Atsuro my first time round, now I'm doing Yuzu. I hear the Haru ending is the worst so I may attempt that next. I hear some characters have branching endings even after you pick their route, but it's kinda hard to find the specifics.

This game, man. This weird, weird game.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Endorph posted:

I know a rapper we can get to do the OST:

Persona 5's for folks who like to get high and like to get drunk.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Calico Heart posted:

That seems... really weird (and maybe oddly lazy?), considering the enormous lengths the game goes to with it's story. What, when you start one route does the other character just join the party and say "I agree let's do this"

it's just one route and they're both in it, although naoya's more prominent. same with haru and gin.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Lil B will compose the entire Persona 5 soundtrack. OST titled **Hot Mixtape** Blue Flame

Persona 5 is a classic, what you talking bout?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Persona 5 soundtrack will just be some amateur rapper's Soundcloud.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I have my connections with Atlus and have it on good authority that Persona 5's soundtracks will be a bunch of farts played through a saxophone with Lotus Juice rapping over them.

It will be Soundtrack of the year 2015

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Just use this as the main theme. The Yoshi's Island version went from "the poo poo" to "poo poo" in less than 30 seconds.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm late to the party of bad opinions but I don't like the Genesis.
Well, no, that's not really it. I just think it takes forever to get anywhere. It's so absolutely slow and plodding. You could easily cut out 3 minutes of the menacing percussion parts. And then the leitmotif part is super short before going back to another 6 minutes of menacing music. It's just kinda... boring.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

HGH posted:

I'm late to the party of bad opinions but I don't like the Genesis.
Well, no, that's not really it. I just think it takes forever to get anywhere. It's so absolutely slow and plodding. You could easily cut out 3 minutes of the menacing percussion parts. And then the leitmotif part is super short before going back to another 6 minutes of menacing music. It's just kinda... boring.

Yeah, I talked about The Genesis because it's way easier to type in a constant paragraph than the (far superior) Battle for Everyone's Souls. I get what they're going for, it's a slow, menacing song that accompanies a fight that you aren't even sure you can win, so unlike every other song in the game it's utterly devoid of a single optimistic tone outside of the briefest refrain of Reach Out to the Truth. But in practice it is a very boring song to listen to, especially if you're not actually fighting it.

I mentioned Bravely Default's final boss earlier, and that's actually a great comparison. Ouroboros is similarly intended as a fight that you have no idea how you can possibly win until you just keep persisting, and Serpent Eating the Ground is pretty much perfect for it. It doesn't have the same feeling of hopelessness that The Genesis does (the gameplay fills in with that; Ouroboros has so many green numbers the game stops focusing on them), but it's constructed in a very similar way. It samples the overworld theme, all of your party's character themes, and the game's main theme (I thought it also sampled the job boss fight theme, but I seem to be mistaken), but it actually divides what part of the song plays according to what part of the fight you're in. The part with the overworld theme only starts in when Ouroboros himself gets desperate, and it only plays the heroic ending segments when you've hit his final phase.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I finally got the chance to play Nocturne! I'm sure the game would be fine, I mean I played all the other Megaten games like Persona and SMTIV.

I can't wait to see the waifus!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Genesis is a pretty boring song out of context but it's a song composed for a video game.

It works perfectly in the moment. Hearing that little hope spot did an amazing job driving me on through the fight, got me pumped, made the fight more memorable. It did its job. Battle for Everyone's Souls is a cool song, but it didn't really add anything to the fight that the strega boss theme or whatever didn't add to their fights, there wasn't much character. The Genesis was a legitimately memorable moment, Battle for Everyone's Songs was just a good song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also i m gonna be honest that bravely default song just sounds like guitars aimlessly wanking off for 6 minutes and every now and then a piano goes 'doot doot doot'