Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Boinks posted:

Adams willingness to joke about race and religion is one of the biggest reasons I listen to him and I don't consider it racist.

People weren't this uptight 10 years ago, especially here.

Yeah, I think that aspect of the situation isn't all his fault. These days people are becoming more and more uptight and unwilling to deal with others who have opinions that don't mirror their own, in comedy these days you do see a lot of circlejerking over the same opinions. That being said, Adam is an ignorant idiot almost anytime he tries to make a real point, and he seems to be getting worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Beeez posted:

Yeah, I think that aspect of the situation isn't all his fault. These days people are becoming more and more uptight and unwilling to deal with others who have opinions that don't mirror their own, in comedy these days you do see a lot of circlejerking over the same opinions. That being said, Adam is an ignorant idiot almost anytime he tries to make a real point, and he seems to be getting worse.

Yeah I agree about his ignorance. I think it all stems from his "real world" experience being over 20 years old now.

Like it bugs me when he says you can get a taco at Taco Bell for 40 cents, etc etc.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

he is pretty racist tho, despite his superb defense of, "i'm so racist, i'm actually not racist" like, i get it, you should be able to joke about whatever you want, but at this point he's either a super hack or is just hiding behind some of his real opinions with, "just joshin' guys."

Beeez
May 28, 2012
That's what I was kind of saying, I think no topic should be inherently taboo for humor, but a lot of his actual points aren't very sound and the more he listens to people like Dennis Prager the worse he seems to get.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I've never thought Adam was a stone-cold racist like many people think, and usually his racial stuff is done in humor. But he had a lot of stuff in his last book that just sounded straight-up racist and ignorant. I liked his first audiobook (at the time I had never heard his radio show or podcast, so most of the rants were new to me), I skipped the second book but I checked out President Me. Even hearing it in his voice, some parts just made me scratch my head why he'd include them. There's a big section where he gives a "State of the Earth Address" where just criticizes and generalizes countries and regions, and again, there's really no humor there. Stuff like calling everyone in the middle east "a bunch of Bin Laden lovers." It's all said in anger, not lighthearted humor.

Boinks posted:

Yeah I agree about his ignorance. I think it all stems from his "real world" experience being over 20 years old now.

Like it bugs me when he says you can get a taco at Taco Bell for 40 cents, etc etc.
Haha yeah, he still will reference Pepsi Free, which stopped being called that in 1987.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 10, 2015

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Today's segment with Rainn Wilson is really good stuff

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I tuned in for Rainn Wilson and it was good, I agree.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Yes this episode was great, and I'll definitely be checking out Backstorm on Thrusdays.

edit: Seriously, the Dave Koechner prank call is worth checking out if you pick and choose episodes to listen to.

Grant DaNasty fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 11, 2015

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Gotta say, maybe not representative based on what other posters have said but on yesterday and today's episode Bald Bryan has been loving solid with the quips.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Great, now that our Bryan is good we have lovely news casters why can't we win. Also that episode with Rainn Wilson ruled all around.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
The Road Hard trailer has been up for a week but hasn't been getting a lot of promotion:

https://vimeo.com/118506346

Boy, that gag with the sign language interpreter is never going to get old.

EDIT: Opens in select theaters and on VOD on March 6.
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/409215-exclusive-the-poster-for-adam-carolla-road-hard

benito fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 13, 2015

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

benito posted:

The Road Hard trailer has been up for a week but hasn't been getting a lot of promotion:

https://vimeo.com/118506346

Oh thanks, I hadn't seen that. Yeah I've been getting all the Road Hard update emails and I don't remember ever seeing it mentioned.

I think it looks really good. A lot of it is based on me really looking forward to seeing DAG, Jay Mohr and a bunch of other people from his podcast/circle of friends and acquaintances, but The Hammer was really good and has shown that Adam Carolla can play a decent Adam Carolla-type.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

benito posted:

Didn't that happen at a live show?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The movie has a solid cast. Looking forward to renting it when it comes out.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

So are we stuck with Gina Grad as the news lady. Today she was announced as the NEW news lady.

It will be a disappointment after all the good improvers he had on, but I suppose shes Adams buddy from way back.

Bring back Hesley!!!!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

JB50 posted:

So are we stuck with Gina Grad as the news lady. Today she was announced as the NEW news lady.

It will be a disappointment after all the good improvers he had on, but I suppose shes Adams buddy from way back.

Bring back Hesley!!!!

I haven't listened to new episodes in a few weeks, but the few times she chimes in (which is rare), she sounds flustered.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
I'm going to watch Road Hard because I'm a fan but I've gotta say that Adam is a one trick pony when it comes to comedy. Everything he does is based around the exact same concepts, ideas, jokes, and so on. Although those bits are hilarious and worth the price of admission, I'm so over it.

I'd love to see Adam really exercise his creativity by writing a completely original script. Working on something we hadn't seen before. I'm not sure if he's got it but I'd love to see him try because these exact same jokes are getting old.

Needless to say I'm definitely going to watch and I hope to see more out of him!

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
It looks like The Adam Carolla Podcast: The Movie basically.

I'll watch but I'm much more interested in the Newman documentary.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

JB50 posted:

*clicks unsubscribe*

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Boinks posted:

Adams willingness to joke about race and religion is one of the biggest reasons I listen to him and I don't consider it racist.

People weren't this uptight 10 years ago, especially here.

I agree. This is one of those topics you can't win unless you go as PC as possible, but not everything that involves discussing race has to be OMG RACIST in a negative way. A joke being race based does not automatically make it racist. The speed in which people will claim someone racist is just ridiculous now. There are people who unironically say things like "every white man is an evil racist." Hell, I got told that choosing not to follow politics (I don't) is white privilege. People have lost their goddamn minds.

edit

Although I might be half a hypocrite because my avatar is implying Jerry Richardson thinks black people should be in the back of the bus based on nothing but I thought the picture was funny, so I am an rear end also

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 13, 2015

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

but despite that he is pretty racist though

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Okay, Adam's racist. Who gives a poo poo?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Probably every single non-white person who could be in his audience. Which, given the views he spews, is likely very few.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Everyone is racist when you really think about it

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Hey, Adam has black friend.

Meatwave posted:

Link for the lazy.

She was going to keep quiet about it, but Adam went and had to go on the offensive about her, which forced her to tell the story.

Adam, you retard.
Sorry to rehash this after everyone's moved on, but I just listened to it, and it really drives home the point how bad Adam is at a lot of aspects of being a boss/manager. If you watch the old Adam Carolla Project TV show he did, you get glimpses of that; things start falling apart on that show a few times and he's just kinda quietly standing there not able to step up and be as assertive as he needs to be with his people. Now this was a reality TV show where drama gets manufactured and edited, and he had control over the editing process, and yet you still get that sense. Imagine how much more like that he must be in real life. He comes across as someone who is way more quiet and weirdly sensitive than his public persona, and he probably expects employees to know what he's thinking rather than, you know, having conversations with them about his expectations.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Apoplexy posted:

Probably every single non-white person who could be in his audience. Which, given the views he spews, is likely very few.

But given how many white people there are, he probably still has a huge audience.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Except Adams two most common recurring guests are black and Asian.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

/

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Boinks posted:

Except Adams two most common recurring guests are black and Asian.

is this a joke

e: I mean the statement is true but do you actually think it's indicative of anything

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

After hearing Gina Grad for a few days she basically Allison without the dead dog and fertility problems.

Lots of yas, uh huhs, and one word additions to the conversation. No comedy or improv chops whatsoever.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

WEH posted:

is this a joke

e: I mean the statement is true but do you actually think it's indicative of anything

But, again, you have yet to give a single reason why Adam's so-called racism matters.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

But, again, you have yet to give a single reason why Adam's so-called racism matters.

Anytime you point out anything positive or negative about any race you are clearly racist.

All races and cultures are exactly the same. We cant judge we must not judge. Its impossible to judge. Everyone is exactly the same.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Irish Joe posted:

lol

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

JB50 posted:

Anytime you point out anything positive or negative about any race you are clearly racist.

All races and cultures are exactly the same. We cant judge we must not judge. Its impossible to judge. Everyone is exactly the same.

you're a loving moron, i'm gonna gently caress your mom

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

drat NIGGA posted:

you're a loving moron, i'm gonna gently caress your mom

I'm going to gently caress your impotent, alcoholic father

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

visuvius posted:

I'm going to gently caress your impotent, alcoholic father

He probably has never met his father.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
In order to understand why Adam is a "racist", you have to understand what "racist" means in 2015. Intent has nothing to do with it. Actions have nothing to do with it. Outcomes have nothing to do with it. We are at a very unique time in history when it comes to newspeak definitions.

If you want to understand why he is "racist" you should replace "racist" with "arsonist" or "pyromaniac". In 2015 you can be considered a pyromaniac without ever having lit a single fire once in your entire life. Fire has nothing to do with the crime of arson. The two are totally unrelated. Obviously every single person that burns a building down for fun is an arsonist by definition, but in no way shape or form is starting fires a requirement for being an arsonist. In the modern world both are considered equally guilty, and both suffer the same punishment, but it's not necessary that they both commit the same crime. In 2015, one who lights fires is just as guilty of arson as one who has never lit a fire. The two are the same.

Adam is for sure a racist by 2015 standards. So is my dog. So is my couch.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Your couch can't be a racist, for it is an inanimate object. [/over-literal guy]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
Hey guys if Adam is racist stop listening.

Anyway, Bald has been on fire lately. I like him a lot.