Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The moral of the story is whenever you're about to lie about something as a newsman you need to say "Some people say..." before it.

Bonus points if you can get some people to actually say it on an "opinion" show on your network.

I was gonna try and find the original quote to make a FoxNews.com style "completely wrong headline with a question mark at the end" joke but from watching the original piece it looks like he didn't actually lie about anything at the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdrtoy8P3po

Did he just start making poo poo up after the fact? I don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I honestly can't arse myself into being actually mad about that "problem". RWM across the spectrum is a joke, and not just to lefties. Playing pretend feels good but it also gets you moments like "unskewing" the polls and a presidential candidate who feels free to say that almost half the country are hopeless moochers. None of their anchors will ever go down for lying, but they also have Karl Rove on live TV throwing a poo poo fit because he had to leave candyland for a second. They lose in the end.

Edit: At least they hurt their own cause in the end.

I'm very interested in what they do when the age of the angry white oldster is over.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 11, 2015

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I was gonna try and find the original quote to make a FoxNews.com style "completely wrong headline with a question mark at the end" joke but from watching the original piece it looks like he didn't actually lie about anything at the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdrtoy8P3po

No, it's like I said earlier in the thread; memory is legitimately that horrible. Best I can tell, he didn't start telling the story until 2013. Ten years is plenty of time for the brain to scramble "a helicopter was shot" into "my helicopter was shot".

It's honestly 100% explicable without any assumptions that it was on purpose, because brains suck at this sort of thing. And most people just don't think to double-check personal anecdotes, because we assume that we remember things that happened to us correctly.

Edit: This article highlights what I'm talking about well.

quote:

R. T. first heard about the Challenger explosion as she and her roommate sat watching television in their Emory University dorm room. A news flash came across the screen, shocking them both. R. T., visibly upset, raced upstairs to tell another friend the news. Then she called her parents. Two and a half years after the event, she remembered it as if it were yesterday: the TV, the terrible news, the call home. She could say with absolute certainty that that’s precisely how it happened. Except, it turns out, none of what she remembered was accurate.

Idran fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 11, 2015

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Somewhere like rawstory or something they had a timeline of his recounting of the incident over the last 10 years and you could gradually see it evolve over time. I think the first time he said they were struck was in 2008.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I honestly can't arse myself into being actually mad about that "problem". RWM across the spectrum is a joke, and not just to lefties. Playing pretend feels good but it also gets you moments like "unskewing" the polls and a presidential candidate who feels free to say that almost half the country are hopeless moochers. None of their anchors will ever go down for lying, but they also have Karl Rove on live TV throwing a poo poo fit because he had to leave candyland for a second. They lose in the end.

Edit: At least they hurt their own cause in the end.

I'm very interested in what they do when the age of the angry white oldster is over.

People actually think that the angry white oldster will end? There are young white people who are scarily ignorant and have the same opinions, slightly modified to appear less racist. Do you use Facebook?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
What it kind of reminds me of was when Hackworth and Boorda were suddenly disgraced because they claimed decorations they didn't qualify for. I mean in both cases it was like one honor on one medal in a sea of fruit salad and both were super highly-decorated officers, so it wouldn't have made any sense for them to do it as a lie.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
So something interesting that has appeared amongst the intellectual right is the firing of John McAdams

SedanChair posted:

Conor Friedersdorf defends the Marquette professor sacked for grinching on the Internet about a graduate student lecturer’s attempt to silence criticism of same-sex marriage in the ethics course she taught. Conor’s opinions on these matters mean a lot to me. He is a pro-SSM social liberal who is a fierce defender of civil liberties. To refresh your memory, John McAdams is the offending professor, Cheryl Abbate is the graduate instructor, and Richard Holtz is the college dean whose letter informed McAdams that his tenure was being revoked. From the Holtz letter:

As a result of your unilateral, dishonorable and irresponsible decision to publicize the name of our graduate student, and your decision to publish information that was false and materially misleading about her and your University colleagues, that student received a series of hate-filled and despicable emails, including one suggesting that she had committed “treason and sedition” and as a result faced penalties such as “drawing, hanging, beheading, and quartering.” Another note, delivered to her campus mailbox, told the student, “You must undo the terrible wrong committed when you were born. Your mother failed to make the right choice. You must abort yourself for the glory of inclusiveness and tolerance.” Accordingly, and understandably, the student feared for her personal safety, and we posted a Public Safety Officer outside her classroom. In addition, as a result of your conduct and its consequences, Ms. Cheryl Abbate now has withdrawn from our graduate program and moved to another University to continue her academic career.

Friedersdorf comments:

As I noted above, Abbate did receive a lot of threats and hate email after her exchange with an undergraduate was publicized. She deserved none of it, whatever one thinks of how she handled their after-class exchange. She’s correct to argue that her online antagonists were engaged in an effort to intimidate and harass. And perhaps nothing of value was gained by including her name in the blog post.

But Holtz’s decision to hold McAdams responsible for her harassment sets an alarming precedent: that faculty members will be held accountable not only for their words, but for any efforts to intimidate or harass those they publicly criticize. By this logic, a professor who criticized a college football player accused of rape, or a fraternity member who chanted “No means yes, yes means anal,” or a college Republican running an “affirmative-action bake sale” could be stripped of tenure based partly on whether that student got nasty emails. Only myopia can account for failure to see the threat to academic freedom.

I cannot for the life of me see where Friedersdorf is wrong here. I say that as someone who has for years received truly vile e-mails from strangers based on things I have written, or that others have written criticizing me. As I said the other day in talking about this, my newspaper once had to pay for off-duty Dallas police protection after someone making threats sent homeless people with criminal records to my house, and after the troll was seen by neighbors driving through the neighborhood distributing flyers accusing me of being a child molester. This is not fun to endure. But the thought that a colleague of mine at the newspaper should have to fear for his job for fiercely and publicly criticizing a position I took in public, and that may have fed obnoxious reactions by strangers — well, that is unacceptable to me.

I can’t see where Friedersdorf is wrong here in the principle he discerns. Had McAdams called for concerted action against Abbate, or in any way egged on her antagonists, that would be quite different. That would, in fact, be incitement. But the principle that any professor can be made to suffer a loss of tenure because others send nasty, harassing e-mails to the target of his complaint, is chilling.

Friedersdorf does not mention something from Holz’s letter that I also found chilling. Holz quotes the taped encounter between the unnamed undergraduate and Abbate, because he appears to accept it as fact. I say “appears” because Holz says in the e-mail that the recorded conversation “is transcribed as follows”; it is not clear that he listened to the tape recording. It is significant, I think, that he does not deny its accuracy in his letter. Notice this part of the transcript Holz entered into the record in his official letter:

Abbate: Ok, well, actually you don’t have a right in this class, as –especially as an ethics professor to make homophobic comments, racist comments, sexist comments …

Student: Homophobic comments? They’re not. I’m not saying that gays, that one guy can’t like another girl or something like that. Or, one guy can’t like another guy.

Abbate: This is about restricting rights and liberties of individuals. Um and just as I would take offense if women can’t serve in XYZ positions because that is a sexist comment.

Student: I don’t have any problem with women saying that. I don’t have any problem with women joining anything like that.

Abbate: No, I’m saying that if you are going to make a comment like that, it would be similar to making a ….

Student: Absolutely.

Abbate: How I would experience would be similar to how someone who is in this room and who is homosexual who would experience someone criticizing this.

Student: Ok, so because they are homosexual I can’t have my opinions? And it’s not being offensive towards them because I am just having my opinions on a very broad subject.

Abbate: You can have whatever opinions you want but I can tell you right now, in this class homophobic comments, racist comments, and sexist comments will not be tolerated. If you don’t like that you are more than free to drop this class.

Student: So, are you saying that not agreeing with gay marriage is homophobic?

Abbate: To argue about that individuals should not have rights is going to be offensive to someone in this class.

Student: I’m not saying rights, I’m saying one single right. Ok? So is that what you’re saying? Are you saying that if I don’t agree with gays not being allowed to get married, that I am homophobic?

Abbate: I’m saying that it would come off as a homophobic comment in this class.

And therefore an opinion that may not be expressed. In a university that professes to be Catholic. Understand: Pope Francis would not be permitted to offer his opinion on same-sex marriage in Abbate’s class at the Catholic university called Marquette.

Now, read from the account of this exchange that Abbate gave to the university’s investigators. The emphasis below is mine:

[A]fter I spoke with the student on October 28th, I considered that other students might share similar concerns and, keeping this in mind, I addressed the issue with my class the following class meeting (on October 30). I began the class by mentioning that a student (whose name I never mentioned) had expressed a concern that I did not allow for a discussion on whether or not gay marriage would violate Rawls’ Equal Liberty Principle. I explicitly referenced the student’s objection, which he had presented to me after class on October 28th, and I explained to the entire class why this objection was problematic. The student had argued that gay marriage would violate Rawls’ principle because, according to him, children who are raised by homosexuals are more deficient than children raised by heterosexuals. I explained to the class that this objection was not appropriate given the context of the discussion, because what was under discussion was whether Rawls’ principle would support the right for gays to marry which is considerably different than discussing the right of homosexuals to adopt. I then, furthermore, explained that decades of research has concluded that there is little (and arguably no convincing) empirical evidence that children who are raised by homosexuals turn out worse than children who are raised by heterosexuals. I also explained that those who, despite the enormous amount of empirical research that demonstrates this, continue to argue the opposite are appealing to one very flawed research study, known as the New Family Structures Study, conducted by Mark Regnerus. I explained to the class that this study has been rejected by the American Sociological Association, American Psychoanalytic Association, American Psychological Association, Regnerus’ own academic department, and so forth. I explained that appealing to this one research study, which is methodologically flawed, is not appropriate for an academic conversation or paper.

I explained to the class that, keeping this in mind, I made the judgment that our limited class time should not be devoted to arguing about the application of Rawls’ principle to gay marriage. I also encouraged my students to look into Regnerus’ study for themselves to see the obvious problems.

This is fundamentally untrue. She told the student that she would not tolerate expression of the opinion that same-sex marriage is wrong because it might offend a gay student in class. True, she did dispute the student’s claim that social science backs up his view, and I think it’s fair game for her to limit discussion in the classroom to examples that are more relevant to the point of discussion. At bottom, though, Abbate said that to hold the view that same-sex marriage ought not to be legal is bigoted, and she would not tolerate it in her class.

This long online comment from Abbate, posted on January 20 and updated yesterday in response to Friedersdorf’s piece, demonstrates that she quite clearly has the cramped, diminished view of academic freedom that McAdams says she does. Abbate is absolutely right that the kind of abuse she received over the Internet is utterly despicable, and horrifying — as Friedersdorf freely concedes, as any decent person must concede. Abbate, like the university, holds McAdams partly responsible for this cybermob, and this is grossly unfair to McAdams. Here are two key passages from Abbate’s response that deserve attention:

Evidently, the e-mails I received and the comments written about me are not instances of “free-speech advocates” expressing a criticism of or an objection to how I handled an after class discussion about the appropriateness of anti-gay marriage comments in a class about John Rawls: this is about certain men attempting to silence, scare, intimidate, and punish me, as a woman, for daring to challenge the widespread belief that men have an absolute “right” to express any opinion they might have, even if these opinions are sexist, homophobic, or racist. Furthermore, the online comments about me serve as a threat to women as a group: if a woman dares to challenge heterosexual male privilege, she will be subject to the wrath of misogyny. Best be silent, women!

And:

**As a side note: John McAdams is clearly confused about the notion of sexism. Being sexist entails that one has institutional power over another group. Since women do not have institutional power over men, by definition, they cannot be sexist toward men.**

So, she truly believes that one cannot express in her classroom an opinion that she deems “sexist, homophobic, or racist.” And she is willing to grant women the privilege of saying things in her classroom because they are women that she is not willing to grant to men — a standard that is plainly sexist, despite Abbate’s theory granting special privileges to her preferred victim class.

Why does this not trouble Marquette University? It is plainly what John McAdams, however crudely, said it was. Abbate has long maintained that her position on the discussion of same-sex marriage in her class has been misrepresented, but this is shown by the tape recording to be a lie. Her own words about what is permitted in her classroom — no opinions that she considers racist, sexist, or homophobic, and speech restrictions on white male heterosexual students, who, in her view, are the oppressor class — reveal that she is misleading the public about her commitment to academic freedom within the classroom.

In the blog post that triggered his firing, McAdams wrote:

Of course, only certain groups have the privilege of shutting up debate. Things thought to be “offensive” to gays, blacks, women and so on must be stifled.

Cheryl Abbate agrees with this! Look at her own words, from her own blog!

Dean Holz’s letter to McAdams continues:

Your Department Chair recently detailed for the Dean of Arts & Sciences how your conduct has contributed to a culture of intolerance, threatened the practice of academic freedom, and often targeted women and those “in a lower position of power in academic standing at Marquette” than yourself. It thus is the consensus of your Department peers that you do significant damage to the University community.

While you claim simply to be ensuring the exercise of academic freedom, your irresponsible conduct has the opposite effect. The AAUP’s 1994 Statement on Freedom of Expression and Campus Speech Codes stressed the faculty’s major role in preserving the freedom of thought and expression that is essential to any institution of higher learning: “their actions may set examples for understanding, making clear to their students that civility and tolerance are hallmarks of educated men and women.”

I think there is real merit to this complaint, and Friedersdorf does not note that McAdams has been dunned by the university in the past for conduct on his blog that it considers unprofessional. And, I agree that McAdams behaved recklessly with this blog post (no one involved in this controversy has covered himself or herself with glory). Yet the standards Dean Holz set forth regarding the conditions under which McAdams might have permissibly criticized Abbate publicly are incredibly stringent. Friedersdorf:

What say you, faculty members of America? Should the sanctity of your tenure depend partly on whether, before criticizing ideas expressed by someone on your campus, you first speak with that person (Professor McAdams reportedly emailed the graduate instructor, but didn’t hear back), their superiors, and various members of the campus administration? Again, the standard the dean asserts is a clear threat to academic freedom.

Even if McAdams’s sacking is justified — and I note that among this blog’s readers is a Catholic professor who says she likely holds all of McAdams’s opinions regarding gay marriage, but still thinks his conduct was professionally appalling — it is deeply troubling to think that Marquette doesn’t mind its classes being taught by an instructor who openly professes that students in her classroom do not enjoy the same rights to speak out as others, based on their race, gender, or sexuality. How, exactly, does that conform to the AAUP code Dean Holz cited in his letter to McAdams?

Abbate is now at the University of Colorado. If I were a white, male, and/or heterosexual student there, I would not take her class, and if I were compelled to for some reason, I would keep my mouth shut, for fear of expressing an opinion that would lead this activist instructor to identify me as a racist, sexist, or homophobe, and therefore an enemy.

What has Marquette University done to assure its students that they will not suffer restricted speech in the classroom because of their race, gender, or sexuality? What assurances is the University of Colorado giving to students taught by Abbate? Or is it okay that she’s a bigot because she’s a bigot for the Left?

Even if you think John McAdams was rightfully stripped of his tenure in this matter, there are serious questions of academic freedom here that won’t go away. Marquette’s silence on the matter of Cheryl Abbate’s publicly stated belief that white male heterosexuals must be speech-restricted in her classroom, and its apparent acceptance of the accuracy of the recorded conversation between her and her student, is a greater threat to academic freedom than the blog bloviating of a cranky conservative professor.

I actually do think McAdams should be kept primarily because for all of what he did I know that there are professors who have done far worse, and kept tenure and also because I see it as a slippery slope to get rid of tenure completely.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

help help i said stupid poo poo in my job for a private institution and got fired for it I'M BEING OPPRESSED!!!!!!!!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Crowsbeak posted:

I see it as a slippery slope to get rid of tenure completely.

Why is this a bad thing?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Dirk the Average posted:

Why is this a bad thing?

I mean I guess if your a full accelerationist it is a good thing to have our most learned people impoverished, makes them more likely to be radicalized. Because plenty of administrators would love to be rid of tenure if it meant cutting more costs and fattening their paychecks.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Is it just me or is that article ridiculously hard to follow? There's no quotes around things referenced as block quotes, and at the top it says the professor is a "pro-SSM liberal," but then his weird Facebook ranting makes him sound not like that at all. Can someone summarize it in a more readable fashion?

Dirk the Average posted:

Why is this a bad thing?

The right wing has been jonesing to get rid of tenure at higher universities so that they can more easily control discourse on college campuses. They're approaching it from the angle of, "intolerance of my intolerance can not be tolerated." So they've been going after students who protest against guest speakers who promote hate speech.

If they can get bigots onto college campuses as guest speakers AND also get professors fired for their views via lack of tenure then you'll see a shift over time in the thinking on college campuses.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 11, 2015

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

ErIog posted:

The right wing has been jonesing to get rid of tenure at higher universities so that they can more easily control discourse on college campuses. They're approaching it from the angle of, "intolerance of my intolerance can not be tolerated." So they've been going after students protesting guest speakers who promote hate speech.

Really funny because if they wanted nice professors who loved the status quo they'd want them well payed. But no because a few professors are firebrands the whole institution must be destroyed, and professors must be poor. Plus if they really wanted money they'd get a "real job".

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

quote:

And therefore an opinion that may not be expressed. In a university that professes to be Catholic. Understand: Pope Francis would not be permitted to offer his opinion on same-sex marriage in Abbate’s class at the Catholic university called Marquette.
This line is rich given the concern-trolling about academic freedom directly preceding it. Academic freedom is usually seen as something that protects young academics like Abbate, this guy is arguing what here, that the university itself is being denied the freedom to stick to Catholic teaching? Seems like the university is the one that made the decision not to do so here, and is doing a lot to protect its faculty's academic freedom.

As I see it, the problem here is that the debate which will follow is never going to adequately address the circumstances. Without knowing what the student said or how the classroom discussion went down, and without knowing too much of how a discussion over same sex marriage is relevant or irrelevant to the actual course material, it's impossible to know whether Abbate did the right thing or not. It could have been an ideological decision on her part, as the Right will frame it, or it could just have been a pragmatic matter: if the student was being a contrarian rear end in a top hat trying to stir up a barely-relevant debate, or if the student was bringing up his opinions in a way that was actively stifling discussion (which is what it sounds like based on the supposed transcripts), even if Abbate's statements on the transcript don't articulate that that's why she asked him to drop it, it's still perfectly reasonable to think that she was probably in the right.

What's flatly, unequivocally wrong, though, is for McAdams to publicly give her name. I mean, holy poo poo, how dumb can you be? There are a lot of unwritten rules about how professors are supposed to treat graduate students, whether they're working together or not. A lot of it has to do with professionalism: you don't expect a tenured professor to publicly tear apart a young graduate student's paper presented at a conference, for example (though every grad student knows someone who will do this every conference). But god drat, there are a lot of explicitly-written rules about student privacy and stuff that you absolutely cannot violate, and this is one of them. If Abbate had put up with some bigoted rear end in a top hat in class, and then went online and gave the kid's name and transcripts of what he said, her career would be over in a heartbeat, and the Right would be all over her for it. McAdams did virtually the same thing to someone he's supposed to see as both a student and junior colleague, and he rightly lost his job for it.

In any case, knowing how this will be perceived by the Right and how it will circulate just makes me cringe and I want to punch everyone. These people don't give two fucks about academic freedom. They're going to dumb down the debate and miss the point of the issue at best, and defend outright horrible professional practices that put young academics at even more risk at worst. The only honest way to settle this is privately, where there's no incentive to whip up public outrage, and where smart, articulate people like Abbate and (presumably) McAdams can have a thoughtful conversation with the dean or college president to discuss the merits and justifications for their decisions. I suspect Abbate could provide a lot better rationale for her decision to ask the student to not talk about gay marriage so much in an ethics class than McAdams could for his decision to release a graduate student's name to the public in an attempt to badmouth her.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
John Stewart is leaving the Daily Show.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/10/media/jon-stewart-leaving-daily-show/index.html?iid=SF_MED_Lead

This should make conservatives happy today if the comments are any indication.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

ErIog posted:

Is it just me or is that article ridiculously hard to follow? There's no quotes around things referenced as block quotes, and at the top it says the professor is a "pro-SSM liberal," but then his weird Facebook ranting makes him sound not like that at all. Can someone summarize it in a more readable fashion?

The way I read that passage was that it was describing Conor Friesdorf, journalist, and libertarian-in-residence at The Atlantic Magazine as being a pro-SSM liberal and still agreeing with the right-wing professor's ability to air his opinions freely.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/10/media/jon-stewart-leaving-daily-show/index.html?iid=SF_MED_Lead

He didn't say where he'd be going next. Presumably, his writers will also still do what they do somewhere else (maybe with John Oliver).

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Immanentized posted:

The way I read that passage was that it was describing Conor Friesdorf, journalist, and libertarian-in-residence at The Atlantic Magazine as being a pro-SSM liberal and still agreeing with the right-wing professor's ability to air his opinions freely.

That makes more sense. I should probably have paid more attention when I was reading it. It's still kind of weird you have like 4 layers here with the guy writing the article referencing another guy who is writing about 2 other people, but the formatting probably makes it a lot worse.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

One of the stereotypical right wingers in my office was next to my desk smugly asking another co-worker where people were going to get their made up news now? :ironicat:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
BTW about the "protests against guest speakers". You know if you want to speak on a campus you really should not be allowed to filter questions.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Radish posted:

One of the stereotypical right wingers in my office was next to my desk smugly asking another co-worker where people were going to get their made up news now? :ironicat:

Probably FOX.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Probably FOX.

:thejoke:

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

ErIog posted:

That makes more sense. I should probably have paid more attention when I was reading it. It's still kind of weird you have like 4 layers here with the guy writing the article referencing another guy who is writing about 2 other people, but the formatting probably makes it a lot worse.

It's several layers of people talking about one another, yeah, so it's confusing. John McAdams allegedly overheard grad student Cheryl Abbate telling an undergraduate he could not say gay marriage should not be allowed in class. McAdams wrote a blog piece naming Cheryl Abbate, who then became a target for harassment. University Dean Richard Holtz fired McAdams, something Conor Friedersdorf apparently thinks is a sign that authoritarian left-wing ideology has won, or something. If you read it on The Atlantic's website it's clearer what's a block quote and what's Friedersdorf's own commentary.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Mike Church just called for people to lock arms and prevent gay couples from entering the Alabama courthouses for marriage licenses. This is the same guy who regularly derides people as 'Lincoln lovers'

It's subtle

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

So something interesting that has appeared amongst the intellectual right is the firing of John McAdams

I actually do think McAdams should be kept primarily because for all of what he did I know that there are professors who have done far worse, and kept tenure and also because I see it as a slippery slope to get rid of tenure completely.

The reason McAdams was fired was not just because of the Cheryl Abbate thing. McAdams has been naming and trying to shame all sorts of people he sees as liberals on campus. The Abbate incident was just the more highly visible one, but the guy has been going after all sorts of "liberals" on campus, despite multiple warnings. This is a guy who, by his own admission, called the parents of a student who had the audacity to be involved in bringing a "vagina monologues" production to campus. If there is one clear cut, obvious reason to remove tenure from someone is when someone uses his position as a professor to harass students, especially when he knows he is throwing people in front of the redstate bus.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

It's several layers of people talking about one another, yeah, so it's confusing. John McAdams allegedly overheard grad student Cheryl Abbate telling an undergraduate he could not say gay marriage should not be allowed in class. McAdams wrote a blog piece naming Cheryl Abbate, who then became a target for harassment. University Dean Richard Holtz fired McAdams, something Conor Friedersdorf apparently thinks is a sign that authoritarian left-wing ideology has won, or something. If you read it on The Atlantic's website it's clearer what's a block quote and what's Friedersdorf's own commentary.

It was a little bit different than that. Abbate was teaching about Rawl's equal liberty principle, and someone brought up the example of gay marriage and why it should be legal. Abbate asked if anyone objected to the example, and no one did. A student then showed up after class to ask why didn't Abbate challenge the gay marriage example. He also recorded the conversation and then took it to McAdams, who then claimed Abbate was censoring the student. But the student never brought up the example in class, when Abbate asked about it, and was clearly trolling afterwards to get a reaction (since he was recording the conversation without Abbate's knowledge).

Conor Friedersdorf is an idiot of the Andrew Sullivan school of journalism, where punching down while pretending to deeply care about something is seen as a sign of seriousness.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

joepinetree posted:

But the student never brought up the example in class, when Abbate asked about it, and was clearly trolling afterwards to get a reaction (since he was recording the conversation without Abbate's knowledge).

I don't know if I'm the only one, but the...I dunno, is it irony?...of a student in an ethics class (as far as I can tell) illegally recording a conversation with the intent of harming another person is just kind of hilarious to me.

Relevant Wisconsin law:

quote:

968.31  Interception and disclosure of wire, electronic or oral communications prohibited.
(2) It is not unlawful under ss. 968.28 to 968.37:
(c) For a person not acting under color of law to intercept a wire, electronic or oral communication where the person is a party to the communication or where one of the parties to the communication has given prior consent to the interception unless the communication is intercepted for the purpose of committing any criminal or tortious act in violation of the constitution or laws of the United States or of any state or for the purpose of committing any other injurious act.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
The female hostage killed by ISIS is not very popular in some media circles. Who wants to guess why?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

skaboomizzy posted:

The female hostage killed by ISIS is not very popular in some media circles. Who wants to guess why?
:barf:

She went to my alma mater, and we overlapped (I didn't know her), and seems like she was a great person, and I'm proud to have her as a fellow alum. Such a sad loving story.

joepinetree posted:

The reason McAdams was fired was not just because of the Cheryl Abbate thing. McAdams has been naming and trying to shame all sorts of people he sees as liberals on campus. The Abbate incident was just the more highly visible one, but the guy has been going after all sorts of "liberals" on campus, despite multiple warnings. This is a guy who, by his own admission, called the parents of a student who had the audacity to be involved in bringing a "vagina monologues" production to campus. If there is one clear cut, obvious reason to remove tenure from someone is when someone uses his position as a professor to harass students, especially when he knows he is throwing people in front of the redstate bus.

It was a little bit different than that. Abbate was teaching about Rawl's equal liberty principle, and someone brought up the example of gay marriage and why it should be legal. Abbate asked if anyone objected to the example, and no one did. A student then showed up after class to ask why didn't Abbate challenge the gay marriage example. He also recorded the conversation and then took it to McAdams, who then claimed Abbate was censoring the student. But the student never brought up the example in class, when Abbate asked about it, and was clearly trolling afterwards to get a reaction (since he was recording the conversation without Abbate's knowledge).

Conor Friedersdorf is an idiot of the Andrew Sullivan school of journalism, where punching down while pretending to deeply care about something is seen as a sign of seriousness.
I'm a pretty strong believer in academic freedom, so I'm a little wary of them firing McAdams. Abbate is clearly in the right, and McAdams needs to be punished for basically driving a graduate student out of Marquette, but I dunno, it might be a kind of overreaction that gets used to justify other firings.

But on the other hand, McAdams is an extraordinary rear end in a top hat who is attacking others for, and to prevent them from, exercising their academic freedom, so...

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Conservatism is a death cult.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

skaboomizzy posted:

Black boyfriend? Used contraception? Held an opinion at some point?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I'm a pretty strong believer in academic freedom, so I'm a little wary of them firing McAdams. Abbate is clearly in the right, and McAdams needs to be punished for basically driving a graduate student out of Marquette, but I dunno, it might be a kind of overreaction that gets used to justify other firings.

But on the other hand, McAdams is an extraordinary rear end in a top hat who is attacking others for, and to prevent them from, exercising their academic freedom, so...

But, once again, the reason for the firing wasn't just Abbate. When you are calling student's parents to do a little gotcha blog post on liberalism gone awry, when you have been warned multiple times about that sort of behavior, and you keep going, it is clearly grounds for dismissal. Nothing in "academic freedom" says it is ok to harass students because of their political views. This isn't the first, second or third time that McAdams has done that sort of stuff.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

And that's all that really should matter here. This is not a professor whose academic freedom is in jeopardy because someone disagreed with the tone or content of his lectures or research. This is not someone who is being fired because of their academic positions or actions. This is a man whose "name and shame" actions of someone who did something he personally disagreed with have an obvious causal link to the harassment of a student, not to mention the direct harassment he's engaged in before.

I don't really see an overreaction here, or any sort of expansive potential like you're putting forward here. This is a pretty clear case of "harass students, get told to gently caress off".

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

And that's all that really should matter here. This is not a professor whose academic freedom is in jeopardy because someone disagreed with the tone or content of his lectures or research. This is not someone who is being fired because of their academic positions or actions. This is a man whose "name and shame" actions of someone who did something he personally disagreed with have an obvious causal link to the harassment of a student, not to mention the direct harassment he's engaged in before.

I don't really see an overreaction here, or any sort of expansive potential like you're putting forward here. This is a pretty clear case of "harass students, get told to gently caress off".
Oh yeah, I know, which is why my wariness doesn't really become more than "eh, maybe we should be careful." I don't really trust administrators, so there's that, but I mostly agree with his firing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

DrNutt posted:

People actually think that the angry white oldster will end? There are young white people who are scarily ignorant and have the same opinions, slightly modified to appear less racist. Do you use Facebook?

Not end, but for the baby boomer set to filter out.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think the hope is less that white people as a group will become less racist (doubtful) but more that they will be reduced in percentage of the population but other groups. I assume that's the fear that leads to these hyper Christian white families with 20 kids like the Duggars.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

joepinetree posted:

:stare:

Wow that is horrible. I mean that actually sounds like he should be liable for harassment.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
http://video.foxnews.com/v/4044995818001/university-of-michigans-inclusive-language-push/#sp=show-clips

Wherein Fox and Friends provides a passionate defense of ethnic slurs. Guest starring a college senior who's well overdue for a solid face punching.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Its been fun to see the right wing reactions on the new records showing lychings topping 4000. So much of. "they probably had it coming"., "Racism is over and you're opening old wounds". "It was the liberal DEMOCRATS fault." I mean I got to love how they cannot actually just out and out condemn this poo poo.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
"They were all holding what looked like guns"

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Crowsbeak posted:

Its been fun to see the right wing reactions on the new records showing lychings topping 4000. So much of. "they probably had it coming"., "Racism is over and you're opening old wounds". "It was the liberal DEMOCRATS fault." I mean I got to love how they cannot actually just out and out condemn this poo poo.

The last one's probably funniest because you know a ton of the people saying this are blood descendants of Dixiecrats who either lynched blacks or :munch:'d at lynchings.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

The last one's probably funniest because you know a ton of the people saying this are blood descendants of Dixiecrats who either lynched blacks or :munch:'d at lynchings.

It's funny watching conservative Southerners tie themselves in knots trying to deny that their family voted Democrat until about 1980. An acquaintance of mine from rural Alabama brought up some macro recently which talked about how "the KKK was made up of DemocRATS :smug:" and it took all my strength to keep from calling him out and asking him what party his grandfather belonged to back in the day (he's one of those people who completely flips out when you disagree with him politically).

Some of the more honest ones will of course bring up "I didn't leave the Democratic Party, the Democratic Party left me." They often don't give a answer as to why that doesn't boil down to either cultural or racial issues, as much as they try to deny it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wait, you've talked to people who say the Democrats were the KKK in the sixties, but they're not Democrat anymore because the party changed?

:psyduck:

Is that a subtle way of telling you they're still active in the KKK?