Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

wwb posted:

I'm not sure but I suspect seeing what is going on will help -- it sounds like someone is doing something retarded like switching line endings which is blowing things up. Have you looked at a diff before you merged?

Most of the time it's me on both ends so that's probably not it.

Anyway I appreciate the concept of doing it often but in certain circumstances that isn't really possible. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

I'm not sure how that is not possible -- you should always be able to grab the upstream changes.

Anyhow, I think hirvox hit the nail on the head -- the default git merge tool isn't helping you here.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Looking to move our software dept from VS 2012 Pro to VS 2013 Pro. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/productID.288419600

Looks like the "Upgrade" price is $399, nicely cheaper than the "non-Upgrade" price of $667. As I understand, the upgrade will replace the version I have installed. This raises red flags from the days of upgrading from Win95 to Win98 to Win2000 to WinXP and something going wrong every single time. The last couple of VS releases/purchases happened to coincide with fresh Windows 7 installs so I haven't had to upgrade VS for years.

What has your experience been with the in-place upgrade from 2012 to 2013? I'm buying for all the devs in the building, and I want it to Just Work without dealing with any surprise upgrade bullshit.

Do I sound cranky? I just want to be able to do my work without fighting with my tools (much).

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

epalm posted:

Looking to move our software dept from VS 2012 Pro to VS 2013 Pro. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/productID.288419600

Looks like the "Upgrade" price is $399, nicely cheaper than the "non-Upgrade" price of $667. As I understand, the upgrade will replace the version I have installed. This raises red flags from the days of upgrading from Win95 to Win98 to Win2000 to WinXP and something going wrong every single time. The last couple of VS releases/purchases happened to coincide with fresh Windows 7 installs so I haven't had to upgrade VS for years.

What has your experience been with the in-place upgrade from 2012 to 2013? I'm buying for all the devs in the building, and I want it to Just Work without dealing with any surprise upgrade bullshit.

Do I sound cranky? I just want to be able to do my work without fighting with my tools (much).

There's no such thing as an in-place upgrade. Every version installs side by side. My laptop has VS2010, 2012, 2013, and 2015 all installed on it right now.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.
I am trying to integrate with WooCommerce which uses a rest API and get this error from an instance of WebClient in a WebException

The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.

I am only getting this error on a specific call, which is a PUT to update an order status. The rest of the calls to this client work fine. The response from the server is null.

Here is what is driving me nuts
- This is only happening with this one client, we have 10 or 15 or so other clients and the call works for them perfectly.
- This only happens on our live server at rackspace. I cannot get the call to fail on my local dev PC with unit tests.
- I have eliminated everything I can think of from the code on the live server that is not touched in the unit tests, I even commented out every database and logging call.

I have spent my day just tweaking all kinds of poo poo and deploying changes to the live server trying to get this one stupid call to work. I haven't gotten it to work once. I am about to just give up and tell the client tough poo poo, which will piss of them and the customer service dept, but I am out of ideas. As a last resort, I ask you, my fellow goons.....

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Begby posted:

I am trying to integrate with WooCommerce which uses a rest API and get this error from an instance of WebClient in a WebException

The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.

I am only getting this error on a specific call, which is a PUT to update an order status. The rest of the calls to this client work fine. The response from the server is null.

Here is what is driving me nuts
- This is only happening with this one client, we have 10 or 15 or so other clients and the call works for them perfectly.
- This only happens on our live server at rackspace. I cannot get the call to fail on my local dev PC with unit tests.
- I have eliminated everything I can think of from the code on the live server that is not touched in the unit tests, I even commented out every database and logging call.

I have spent my day just tweaking all kinds of poo poo and deploying changes to the live server trying to get this one stupid call to work. I haven't gotten it to work once. I am about to just give up and tell the client tough poo poo, which will piss of them and the customer service dept, but I am out of ideas. As a last resort, I ask you, my fellow goons.....

Have you captured the traffic with fiddler?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Ithaqua posted:

There's no such thing as an in-place upgrade. Every version installs side by side. My laptop has VS2010, 2012, 2013, and 2015 all installed on it right now.

Oh. I was chatting with an MS sales rep (one of those "ask me stuff" chat boxes) and she said the new version "replaces" the old one, when I asked if it's typical/recommended to uninstall the old version.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.

Ithaqua posted:

Have you captured the traffic with fiddler?

Yes, the URL that I am posting too is formatted identically to what I am sending from my PC, as well as the JSON body, and the method etc. It is using oauth, and the signature in the URL is ok. From the live server, if I set it generate an invalid oauth signature, I get the proper authentication error on that call.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

Begby posted:

I put on my robe and psychic debugging hat. The crystal ball whispers to me that your server that this reproduces on is using a version of Windows that by default turns on Explicit Congestion Notification for TCP connections and your dev PC does not. Once you turn off ECN on the server, everything will likely start working normally.

There are some web servers and other networking products out there that fail to properly function ECN, dropping certain very specific requests - most things work fine but then there's that one request that always fails. I have seen this before with the nuget.org package repository, for example - there are these certain packages that are not possible to download on a clean Windows Server 2012 install because it has ECN on by default. In this case, the issue was with the remote endpoint (the Azure CDN used by nuget.org), though I suppose it could be any hop causing it.

EssOEss fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 10, 2015

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

I just logged in and checked it, ECN is disabled on the production server (2008 R2 Enterprise)

=(

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Aww. Can you go lower? If you say Fiddler traces look the same, what about the Wireshark traces? If you can post them here (as screenshots with whatever stuff you want blacked out, if needed) maybe we can point a finger at something.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

EssOEss posted:

Aww. Can you go lower? If you say Fiddler traces look the same, what about the Wireshark traces? If you can post them here (as screenshots with whatever stuff you want blacked out, if needed) maybe we can point a finger at something.

I am not sure if I can go lower than that without our server guy shooting me since it is a production server....

Before I try that, I want to try one more thing though. I usually develop on a mac and have a few rest clients where I can just paste poo poo in, put in the method, and click submit. Is there one for windows that is decent? I'll then generate the oauth signature by hand, and try submitting requests that way. If that fails, it will for sure rule out an issue with the codebase. If it does fail, I'll talk to our server admin about getting a lower level trace and if I can do it without loving up all the poo poo that is running on that server..

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Fiddler supports that sort of thing -- it has some request building functions and can replay har files and such.

HTTPIE is a command line utility but it works on windows too since it is python based.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
I recently started web dev with .net mvc c# and its been great. With VS and ReSharper my productivity has been really really high. In the last month I started using Angularjs and my productivity has tanked. The intellisense for JS seems useless, it reminds of writing Java in Notepad. How do you discover anything? Can you guys describe your workflow / tools you use for front end dev? Is there anything comparable to vs/resharper for javascript?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

bpower posted:

I recently started web dev with .net mvc c# and its been great. With VS and ReSharper my productivity has been really really high. In the last month I started using Angularjs and my productivity has tanked. The intellisense for JS seems useless, it reminds of writing Java in Notepad. How do you discover anything? Can you guys describe your workflow / tools you use for front end dev? Is there anything comparable to vs/resharper for javascript?

Sup "just got into Angular" buddy!

What version of Visual Studio?

The Web Essentials add on is amazing for VS2012-2013. Improved JS Intellisense (including most angular built in stuff).

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Im using vs2013 and I have web essentials installed.

Thats what I get 99% percent of the time.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

bpower posted:

Well I don't know about your tools, but I recently checked out Ext.NET which was pretty interesting. You're writing C# code in your view instead of Javascript which bypasses that whole issue.

My sole issue with it so far is that their "direct method" functionality does not support async methods.

Dreadrush
Dec 29, 2008

bpower posted:

I use Visual Studio for C# dev, and Sublime Text with a bunch of plugins for front-end work.

When writing a single page app, I return html/js/css statically, not requiring ASP.NET MVC.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Microsoft has made available the internal code formatter they developed to clean up the .NET source before releasing it.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

It works fine in fiddler on the production server....

arrgggggghhhhh

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

^^^ Congratulations, you've isolated the problem. Ask ops if they are fronting the production server with anything, something is stomping on the request between your box and the server.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I'm trialing CodeRush and it's insanely faster than ReSharper, which slowed VS2013 down to a crawl. CodeRush has almost no performance impact, is less intrusive (coloured sidebar lines instead of squiggles EVERYWHERE), while also having pretty much all of the features I wanted from RS.

Does that match anybody else's experience? When I was googling them almost everybody seemed to favour ReSharper.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
ReSharper 9 fixed all the performance issues I had with ReSharper 8, which indeed was rather annoying and slowed down with each patch. I have not tried any other assistance tools in recent times but back when I did, ReSharper did offer the best feature set by far.

Many of the other tools available focus too much on refactoring, whereas I find that ReSharper allows me to write new code very fast. At least, this is the distinction I noticed back when I was trying out alternatives. For now, I have no plans to look away from ReSharper unless VS itself already starts to offer all the niceties.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

bpower posted:

Im using vs2013 and I have web essentials installed.

Thats what I get 99% percent of the time.

It's helpful to put the TypeScript typings in your project (even if you aren't using TS).

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

wwb posted:

^^^ Congratulations, you've isolated the problem. Ask ops if they are fronting the production server with anything, something is stomping on the request between your box and the server.

They said they aren't doing anything funky at the network level, its just a vanilla server behind a single router and firewall with nothing special setup on the cisco devices. But since it was successful in fiddler, it leads me to believe that there is something wrong with the .NET codebase and it is not at the network level.

I am going to try a few tweaks to the web client settings, we are rebooting the server right now and applying all the latest .NET updates. At this mornings scrum we decided that its not worth spending more time on beyond that unless it happens to more clients. If I can't get it to work after these last few things, I'll just script a dirty hack in python or php to do the rest calls from one of our other servers.

I love dirty and nasty cron jobs to fix poo poo.

Thanks all for your ideas.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

bpower posted:

For a lot of the web dev stuff here we use phpstorm from jet brains. The web only version is called webstorm and its basically the same IDE sans the PHP plugin. Give it a try.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

NihilCredo posted:

(coloured sidebar lines instead of squiggles EVERYWHERE)

I consider the annoying squiggles a feature - just fix whatever is causing your squiggles or turn off that inspection rule if you don't care about it. There's nothing I enjoy more than turning that ReSharper box in the top right into a green check.

Oh yeah... that's the good stuff.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Dreadrush posted:

I use Visual Studio for C# dev, and Sublime Text with a bunch of plugins for front-end work.

When writing a single page app, I return html/js/css statically, not requiring ASP.NET MVC.

I started doing this today, and so far it's pretty great.

What ST plugins do you recommend?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

aBagorn posted:

JSON viewer!

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Bognar posted:

I consider the annoying squiggles a feature - just fix whatever is causing your squiggles or turn off that inspection rule if you don't care about it. There's nothing I enjoy more than turning that ReSharper box in the top right into a green check.

Oh yeah... that's the good stuff.

I've posted this in the IDE thread for other JetBrains products and it's valid here too. I find their default validations to be way too aggressive. Things like typo checks should not be on by default (in my opinion). Also, some of the loop to linq conversion suggestions don't make a whole lot of sense and often produce code that is less clear (again in my opinion). It has a lot of useful tools but I wish it wasn't so in my face about certain things and I don't need to hunt around and turn things off individually.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Ochowie posted:

I've posted this in the IDE thread for other JetBrains products and it's valid here too. I find their default validations to be way too aggressive. Things like typo checks should not be on by default (in my opinion). Also, some of the loop to linq conversion suggestions don't make a whole lot of sense and often produce code that is less clear (again in my opinion). It has a lot of useful tools but I wish it wasn't so in my face about certain things and I don't need to hunt around and turn things off individually.

I love the x to linq stuff, it basically taught me linq with zero effort on my part.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

bpower posted:

I love the x to linq stuff, it basically taught me linq with zero effort on my part.

Nothing against you personally, but that's why I would prefer that feature by disabled by default.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ochowie posted:

Also, some of the loop to linq conversion suggestions don't make a whole lot of sense and often produce code that is less clear (again in my opinion).

I agree here. Lots of for-each loops can be turned into linq queries, but IMO it's the simpler ones that really benefit from it - those that do the exact same thing as one or two LINQ keywords. More complex enumerations are often easier to grok in loop form, and in particular some of the conversions that ReSharper suggested were eye-gougingly ugly.

Also, the process of debugging a misbehaving loop is obvious, that of debugging a linq query not as much.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 11, 2015

Dreadrush
Dec 29, 2008

aBagorn posted:

Have a look through the popular packages at https://packagecontrol.io/browse/popular any try some out.

Get:
- SideBarEnhancements
- SublimeCodeIntel
- SublimeLinter (get SublimeLinter-jshint, get node installed, run npm install -g jshint) - now you can setup jshint settings in a .jshintrc file at the project root, which can also be used at build time

I also have other packages like less, jsx, sublimelinter-jsxhint, 6to5, terminal installed - it depends upon the tools you are using. You might find Emmet useful when writing lots of html.

I use webpack at build time to modularize my js using commonjs (along with es6-loader and jsx-loader). Webpack makes it easy to split code up for different pages if you like, or you can just have one js file for everything. I setup a dev server so that when I save a file, my jsx is transformed to js, es6 is transformed to es5, and then chrome is automatically refreshed (the webpack-dev-server is a good starting point if you want a quick look at this working, however you will need to do extra work for anything non-trivial).
There is a bit of a learning curve to setting all this up if you haven't used these front-end tools before, but once its sorted you can be really productive! I think you could ask more questions about this stuff in one of those frontend threads...I haven't really posted here much so not too sure what all the rules are...

Edit: Pretty sure you'd find the "AngularJS" plugin useful :)

Dreadrush fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 11, 2015

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Since this is the catch-all Microsoft thread: I finally got a chance to hunker down and play with the "vNext" build stuff that's coming to Visual Studio Online / TFS vNext, and it's awesome. I set up a build agent on a Linux box and got it to clone Spring from Github and build it with Gradle in about 10 minutes.

Then I repeated the exercise, except for Windows. It's crazy easy.

Blog post on vNext build (not mine!):
http://geekswithblogs.net/jakob/archive/2015/01/15/tfs-build-vnext-ndash-a-preview.aspx

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Ithaqua posted:

Since this is the catch-all Microsoft thread: I finally got a chance to hunker down and play with the "vNext" build stuff that's coming to Visual Studio Online / TFS vNext, and it's awesome. I set up a build agent on a Linux box and got it to clone Spring from Github and build it with Gradle in about 10 minutes.

Then I repeated the exercise, except for Windows. It's crazy easy.

Blog post on vNext build (not mine!):
http://geekswithblogs.net/jakob/archive/2015/01/15/tfs-build-vnext-ndash-a-preview.aspx

This makes me very excited.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
Does anyone know of a simple web monitoring/reporting tool I can plug into an MVC site? I just want basic stuff like request times and maybe SQL timings, what MiniProfiler does essentially but rolled up over all users and with a simple admin screen for monitoring hosted within the same app.

I could build my own, either timing begin request to end request or just reading IIS logs, but it seems like this should be a simple thing someone's built?

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
I've got a setting screwed up somewhere in VS 2013 and it's driving me nuts. Razor syntax is being highlighted in an extremely obnoxious way that makes it very difficult to read or write. The attached shows the problem. This is what it looks like immediately after having imported that scheme - eg, importing the scheme didn't overwrite whatever demon is doing that highlighting.

Any suggestions?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
OK then. Options > Environment > Fonts and Colors > Display items : HTML Razor Code Background.

I had been looking previously for something starting with razor rather than HTML. Still confused as to why importing settings didn't override it, since there seems from screenshot on the page that it does have a prescribed value for that setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Anyone have experience with http://jsil.org/? How is it?

It looks pretty neat: http://jsil.org/try/