Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Hav posted:

Do yourself a favour and look up the magnet mod for the X-52. The rare earth magnets for it are about $5 from home depot (cheaper through ebay, thanks China) and it makes the response curves a lot better. Takes about 20 minutes to do depending on whether you half arse it or not, and it's _easy_.

The other one you'll probably want is to throw a spacer between the handle of the stick and the spring to remove the play when the stick is centered.

Thanks, I'll look into those. I already removed the bumps from the throttle at the ends, that made the throttle a lot nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

lobsterminator posted:

Thanks, I'll look into those. I already removed the bumps from the throttle at the ends, that made the throttle a lot nicer.

Yeah, I prevaricated over doing that, then removed it and all was good in the world. It might have been more useful had it not been covered in molasses, but now it's gone I don't miss it.

if it was adjustable it might have been handy for the '0' throttle on E:D, but no.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Yeah, I still need to magnet mod my X-52

I'll do it when I unscrew it from the plank I have it on when I take it with me to PAX

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Hav posted:

Do yourself a favour and look up the magnet mod for the X-52.

Ordered some magnets. Looking forward to it. The stick is a bit sucky when it comes to really small movements.

EDIT: Also cut a piece of plastic to stick between the springs and stick. Reduced the center wobbliness a bit.

lobsterminator fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 5, 2015

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I now have a TM warthog but the magnet mod and tougher spring really made my old X52 live its life as a new stick. The difference is rather drastic with seemingly no downsides.

:saitek:

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!

Hav posted:

The HOTAS was the start of the slippery slope.

Do yourself a favour and look up the magnet mod for the X-52. The rare earth magnets for it are about $5 from home depot (cheaper through ebay, thanks China) and it makes the response curves a lot better. Takes about 20 minutes to do depending on whether you half arse it or not, and it's _easy_.

The other one you'll probably want is to throw a spacer between the handle of the stick and the spring to remove the play when the stick is centered.

Is this slap-on-magnets version of the mod enough, or is it better to do one of the more involved, glue-based ones?

I did my first x52 surgery last week. I had to rip open the stick and use contact cleaner on the pot that controls the Z-rotation (rudder) because that was jumping all over the place. So I'm ready for more now!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yesterday I arranged my flight sim gear in a semi workable configuration on my desk and took the RealAir Lancair Legacy out for a few trips around the pattern in FSX. This may result in me flying a bit more, at least the civilian sims. I just get so discouraged every time I have to rebind or configure 100 controls.

I may start flying on VATSIM again soon if I can finish tweaking this airplane. FSUIPC now handles profiles instead of separate configs for specific aircraft and has a way of remembering joystick devices by name, so even if you unplug something and plug it back in later your binds should still work. We've come a long way.

Here it is. It's not ergonomic but it's storable, modular, and functional. SF260 cockpit shown, not the Lancair.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 5, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

I just get so discouraged every time I have to rebind or configure 100 controls.

Story of my life. I just want to fly, but seemingly every time I sit down, I have to spend forty-five minutes loving with my controls...

:argh:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

tater_salad posted:

Howd you find the shuttle landing?

Hadlock posted:

Is this a specific mission?

oops, oh yeah you asked me a question. Yeah, it's part of the Acceleration pack I believe, comes with the Steam version. First real mission, called 'Executive Tour'. The actual intercept on the Shuttle is.. well.. an intercept and once I'd realised that I used a basic version of the method fighter pilots used (without the benchmarks so much, more just the idea of turning at the right time). Before I did that though, I managed to find and see the Shuttle but not fly with it.

It's a classic clunky piece of ancient poo poo, that mission, but also amazing. Took me hours and research to find out how to properly trigger each event because the loving game wasn't about to explain it or make it clear in any way (just like they all used to) but the sense of accomplishment when I'd done it was great. You fly around Edwards Air Force base and they're loving around with a Shuttle and a 747 and there is a SR71 and combined with the voice overs and guy in the back with a bad back, there was lots of atmosphere.

There is so much of that buggy poo poo in FSX missions though, it has put me off. It's just so hit and miss and you never know when the next objective is actually going to try and kill you or gently caress up the mission and you need some metagaming knowledge to get through it.

Anyways, saw a series tonight on TV about flying small planes in Paupa New Guinea and it really lit a fire under me. Just an option rather than flying airlines and long haul, it looked pretty drat interesting and a couple of steps beyond private pilot. Just poking around about it now :)

Gunna need something more than FSX if this is going to go anywhere!

edit: There is an episode to check out. The show is called 'The Worst Place to be a Pilot' which is actually kinda funny because I'm seeing that and just thinking - 'are you serious?! That's incredible!' Me being Aussie means various things in the way I'd train and my access to these kinda of places to get a job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jFsVRQyhlg

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 9, 2015

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well
So PMDG has finally released their 777 for P3D, with other aircraft to follow.

quote:

As Prepar3D grows as a platform, so to do we anticipate the capabilities of our advanced airliner simulation product line will grow. Work has been underway since early in 3Q14 to begin changing the PMDG product line to allow it to take greater advantage of Prepar3D. During 2015, we anticipate rolling out changes to the 777 and NGX product lines in P3D that will allow users to take greater advantage of many features in P3D that we were unable to accommodate previously, such as advanced cockpit hardware such as those provided by FlightDeck Solutions, networking and advanced multi-crew functionality.

Most importantly, as Prepar3D moves toward the x64 environment, PMDG will be able to help our simulation customers move right along with Lockheed Martin into this advanced, less memory restrictive simulation environment.

Pricing:

quote:

As an incentive to customers who might be interested, we are offering special pricing on our P3D product line for the first 30 days by matching the pricing on our FSX line of 777 products.

Between now and the end of the day on 07MAR15, customers can acquire the PMDG 777-200LR/F Base Package for Prepar3D for the introductory price of $89.99. Beginning at midnight on 08MAR15, the price will increase to $134.99 so if you think you might be interested in moving to Prepar3D- NOW is the time to acquire a 777.

NuclearWinterUK fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 10, 2015

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
So multi-crew will only work in P3D.

Well I guess I ought to get P3D sometime soon, then.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

P3D 2.5 update:

General Platform Updates

Fixed a crash that would occur if licensing check on startup failed
Fixed a bug where thumbnail images for missions and aircraft were not matching up properly
Renamed missions to reflect their content
Restructured path configuration files
New IRIS F-22 Raptor aircraft with simulated radar system

Rendering and Performance Updates

Added post process for night vision that includes bloom
Added a light scalar to camera so that NVG cameras can have a brighter scene
Added a configuration option to the Prepar3D.cfg and Camera Definitions that allows cameras to share a single terrain view
Added an option to specify whether or not a panel should write alpha when rendering into a texture
Improved long range sensor capabilities by allowing plugins to set the scenery load origin for a camera independent of its location
Fixed a bug that would prevent the HideAircraft flag from hiding aircraft attached effects
Fixed a bug that would cause all extrusion effects to draw with a visible sawtooth pattern
Fixed a bug where the exclude VC panels sensor setting was not working as intended
Fixed issue that caused clouds to face vertically
Fixed out of memory issues with the Vehicle Selection Screen
Fixed an issue that would prevent effects from visually displaying if the effect was at a low level of detail distance
Fixed issues with shaders failing to compile if material is created without setting a specular map
Fixed an issue that would cause some aircraft to load with the engines turned off
Fixed an issue that would prevent engine wash effects from rendering
Fixed an issue that would cause none facing sprites to be half their size
Fixed an issue with landing light ground polygon fading based on view direction
Fixed a bug that would prevent rotor wash effect from rendering
Fixed issues with resolution differences between shadow views and main views causing shadow artifacts to appear
Fixed a bug that would cause effects with smoke and fire to appear blue
Fixed issues with the bridge pylons that would cause them to look tall/stretched

simble
May 11, 2004

Just FYI, ActiveSky Next doesn't work with 2.5 yet. Sounds like they'll have a release soon.

http://www.hifitechinc.com/forums/showthread.php?4300-Prepar-3D-2-5

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Why does fsx say im critically low on fuel all the drat time? Im half full in both tabs and would deplete my fuel in 4hrs based on current usage.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
In the PVP Falcon Online, me and BUrno are doing an attack behind enemy lines by taking down their AWACS.

Follow us in here: http://www.twitch.tv/kalleerikvahakyla

JZilla is going to be an AWACS dude helping us find them since we fly radars off.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

tater_salad posted:

Why does fsx say im critically low on fuel all the drat time? Im half full in both tabs and would deplete my fuel in 4hrs based on current usage.

What plane?

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Anyone have experience with FSCaptain? Thinking of purchasing it but first trying to find out if there are many airlines that you can work for in it. Specifically I'd be wanting to fly for Jetstar or Tigerair in Australia and am wondering if either are in FSCaptain, and if not is there an easy way to add them? (I primarily like to fly domestic flights within Australia in an A320 so those two airlines are most suitable for me).

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Keeku posted:

Anyone have experience with FSCaptain? Thinking of purchasing it but first trying to find out if there are many airlines that you can work for in it. Specifically I'd be wanting to fly for Jetstar or Tigerair in Australia and am wondering if either are in FSCaptain, and if not is there an easy way to add them? (I primarily like to fly domestic flights within Australia in an A320 so those two airlines are most suitable for me).

I'm interested in this too.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Stock grand caravan. Ive had it happen with the 172 once too..

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Vahakyla posted:

In the PVP Falcon Online, me and BUrno are doing an attack behind enemy lines by taking down their AWACS.

Follow us in here: http://www.twitch.tv/kalleerikvahakyla

JZilla is going to be an AWACS dude helping us find them since we fly radars off.

How did it go?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The FLOT was littered with RedFor, both human and AI. We took down two Aggressor f16s, ran away from two Mig31s, ran into two Su27s and I drifted towards an enemy Kub-site. I dodged one and ate the next. Burno died to the Flankers. The mig31s always fire missiles that are easy to dodge but they do deny a lot of airspace.

There are intercepts that happen when you are detected over the FLOT.

We are gonna attempt tonight again with more goons on the PvP server, with more ships. Perhaps have half of us chase enemies so others get closer.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

ZekeNY posted:

How did it go?

Yeah. You guys both had your belly tanks rip off then the stream stopped mid-sentence.

Sounded like fun in the end though

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

tater_salad posted:

Stock grand caravan. Ive had it happen with the 172 once too..

As long as the gauges in the airplane itself read correctly and you're not running out of gas mid-flight, I'd just go into Setting > Realism and uncheck "Display Flying Tips."

This also gets rid of that annoying message about your mixture being wrong all the time.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Vahakyla posted:

The FLOT was littered with RedFor, both human and AI. We took down two Aggressor f16s, ran away from two Mig31s, ran into two Su27s and I drifted towards an enemy Kub-site. I dodged one and ate the next. Burno died to the Flankers. The mig31s always fire missiles that are easy to dodge but they do deny a lot of airspace.

There are intercepts that happen when you are detected over the FLOT.

We are gonna attempt tonight again with more goons on the PvP server, with more ships. Perhaps have half of us chase enemies so others get closer.

Sounds like a great time, I'll try to catch the stream

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
I've been trying X-plane 10 and i cant fly in a straight line even with a cesna, is it normal that the planes in x-plane feel like they are hanging from a string ?

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Micr0chiP posted:

I've been trying X-plane 10 and i cant fly in a straight line even with a cesna, is it normal that the planes in x-plane feel like they are hanging from a string ?

No, thats not normal. Check the sensitivity on your joystick. I've heard of people having issues with joystick sensitivity in x-plane.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

I may have a problem http://vataware.com/flight/54e52446a765653f50000006

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

You should go chat with that guy playing silent hunter in real time in the LP forum. :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

You should go chat with that guy playing silent hunter in real time in the LP forum. :v:

I thought you were joking, but then I went and looked and uh... wow :stare:

It's like a modern day version of the Desert Bus challenge except way crazier.

On that note, I kinda want to watch someone stream an actual real time cross country flight and I'm really not sure why. It seems like it'd be fascinating.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Really? I flew from Melb Int to King Island last night and even that was bloody boring in the cruise. After all that and I couldn't even have some amazing King Island dairy! (Aussies will know what I'm talking about).

Apparently the 777 ER can do something like 17500 kms which is pretty nuts.. But whichever sim you're using probably models the 10000 kms version.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Tony Montana posted:

Really? I flew from Melb Int to King Island last night and even that was bloody boring in the cruise. After all that and I couldn't even have some amazing King Island dairy! (Aussies will know what I'm talking about).

Apparently the 777 ER can do something like 17500 kms which is pretty nuts.. But whichever sim you're using probably models the 10000 kms version.

FSX, the PMDG, and it's the 777-200LR which is the longest range 777.

Also, FSX crashed 3 hours in so welp :goleft:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kilonum posted:

FSX, the PMDG, and it's the 777-200LR which is the longest range 777.

Also, FSX crashed 3 hours in so welp :goleft:

The more things change the more they stay the same...

Kilonum posted:

Sometimes, I hate FSX

2 miles from landing after a 1500 mile flight and this happens

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Alt-tabbing is on par with landing on that loving bus.

Come on baby.. comon baby.. no, don't gimme that black screen.. (hammers Enter and various keys).. AH, thank christ

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

T1g4h posted:

On that note, I kinda want to watch someone stream an actual real time cross country flight and I'm really not sure why. It seems like it'd be fascinating.

There are a few guys on Twitch who regularly stream longhaul flights in real time, one guy flew from Helsinki (I think?) to Washington the other day so a full 7 or 8 hour flight. The only thing I'll say though is that these streams are really, really boring past the initial setup, take off and approach where there is any kind of interaction with ATC. I mean, how do you fill 7 hours of air time when you're just autopilot way pointing at 30,000 feet?

On the topic of streaming though there is a really good twitch streamer, a guy called Sladofett who does a lot of island hop GA streams and takes the effort to have all the scenery packs installed for the region he's flying in so you get these beautiful super chill 2 hour island tours from 3-5,000 feet.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It's not like when I fly international that I'm looking out the window the whole time. I love me airplanes and all but I watch movies like a normal person.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Tony Montana posted:

It's not like when I fly international that I'm looking out the window the whole time. I love me airplanes and all but I watch movies like a normal person.

Look it's the ocean!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm partial to the tops of clouds, myself.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Look, some of us like to have whitenoise in the background while we study or do other things, okay :colbert:

Plus, I have never actually been on any sort of plane larger than a single engine Cessna and I doubt I ever will. So it'd be like a somewhat half assed way of simulating the ~*~true airliner experience~*~ :v:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I've done long realtime XC flights before, but it pretty much consisted of handflying to altitude, setting the autopilot, then going and doing other poo poo and checking back in a couple of hours.

fake e:
Which is surprisingly realistic compared to real flying lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

T1g4h posted:

Plus, I have never actually been on any sort of plane larger than a single engine Cessna and I doubt I ever will.

What the hell?