Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
They made foil Cities of Traitors? For what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The most expensive card I even had was a foil KTK Russian Flooded Strand that I sold on eBay for a little over $500. I'm no where close to being a dealer, so I didn't think I'd actually get that much for it. I think the most expensive card I have now is a foil German Mox Opal, but the promo Ugin may be giving it a run for its money. Then it is just some foil German randomness like Blood Moon/Bribery. I just like German cards. (Give me all the German cards.)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I have my Judge Basics, but other than that it's likely my 2 revised duals, a badlands and a taiga.
I'm putting more money than ever into my collection atm though, but my wage isnt exactly large.
Next purchase is likely to be a Gaea's Cradle I think.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
revised useas i think

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

They made foil Cities of Traitors? For what?

It was a test print for foils way back in the day but it has the normal MTG back so it's tournament legal. If I remember right there's a few other cards like it. I think Survival and Oath among them.

I wasn't kidding about it being $15k, and like Mr. Monks said, they never actually come up for sale. There was one on Facebook recently but I can't find it anymore.

Edit: Oath of Lieges. Oops.

http://www.magiclibrarities.net/719-rarities-test-prints-press-checks-and-production-anomalies-english-cards-index.html

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
My Tiny Leader orders came in today and they sent me a foil Spectral Rider instead of foil Spectral Flight. Close, but no cigar.

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.
There is a beta (unlimited?) Mox Perl around that has a neat "plains" written on the back. Very sad.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
NM Alpha Black Lotus

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

darkspider42 posted:

There is a beta (unlimited?) Mox Perl around that has a neat "plains" written on the back. Very sad.

White border is Unlimited. Black border with normal corners is Beta. Black border with weird corners is Alpha.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Eh, I don't own that many expensive cards, the one I guess is probably worth the most is a Miscut, Foil LOTV signed by Steven Argyle.

I have a few friends who have been playing this game since like 94, and one has a nice playset of Chains of Mephistopheles

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.

suicidesteve posted:

White border is Unlimited. Black border with normal corners is Beta. Black border with weird corners is Alpha.

Yeah, I saw the card in person a few years back and can't remember if it was beta or unlimited. Point stands that its the most expensive 'basic' I've ever seen

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Foil Charging Badger.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I got a playset of volcanics and one tundra. I wanna trade the volcanics for goyfs because I mostly play modern but some part of my brain is preventing me from doing that, which is probably for the best.

Oh, the other day I was looking for a remand that I was sure I had, and I found a card with remand written on the back. Flipping it revealed that it was the remand I was looking for.

hey mom its 420 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 11, 2015

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
I'm still amazed by that guy "openboosters" on youtube. How do you just forget as a magic player that you have CASES of Alpha, Beta, Revised, etc etc etc you kept in a closet for 20 years. It's cool to watch him open packs but jesus the small fortune he could make by just selling it off.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

I keep forgetting you live within proximity of the stores I frequent. drat you.

We've probably played each other.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Network42 posted:

I just moved to the Manassas VA area, are there any game stores I should prefer or avoid?

The island games in Centreville is good too if you're going to Fairfax anyway, and it does 10$ drafts for fnm.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

I'm still amazed by that guy "openboosters" on youtube. How do you just forget as a magic player that you have CASES of Alpha, Beta, Revised, etc etc etc you kept in a closet for 20 years. It's cool to watch him open packs but jesus the small fortune he could make by just selling it off.

He did make a small fortune. He kept some for fun, and sold the rest. I think he used to own a store in the early 90's is his story, he wasn't a player/collector, it is old store inventory that he rediscovered.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

If I remember correctly, he owned a comic store when the game was just being released. The store went under and a lot of the inventory was locked up due to some kind of legal problem, and he only got access to the old stock recently.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
My most expensive card by far is Gaea's Cradle. I bought 3 of them from a guy who was quitting for $8 a piece around Invasion block; didn't realize they were going for crazy amounts until I saw one behind the locked glass case with the rest of the $50+ cards with a $145 sticker on the sleeve.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Skyl3lazer posted:

The island games in Centreville is good too if you're going to Fairfax anyway, and it does 10$ drafts for fnm.

That place is run by one of the guys who used to frequent my LGS in Falls Church before deciding to open his own store.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Regarding Most Expensive Cards:

I've got 3 Dark Confidants from my heyday in Ravnica, and they helped me T8 a Provincials back when they were a thing. But one of those Bobs is foil, clocking in at around $200 apparently.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

AlternateNu posted:

That place is run by one of the guys who used to frequent my LGS in Falls Church before deciding to open his own store.

Small world, he's friends with one of my coworkers. Good crowd there usually for draft fnm so I make the trip.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Was looking through back catalogue last night and found this:

Anyone seen one like it? All my others are normal, but this one looks like its a modal spell missing a mode.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

AlternateNu posted:

$10 drafts sounds great and is what I'm used to in Oahu. Sadly CGOFFX is far enough for me, never mind centre vile. Let me guess: he used to play at VC or compleat? Or God forbid, the underground basement dungeon of anime pavilion?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Next flavor piece is out

Looks like it's going in the same direction everyone thought it was going to go in.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Chill la Chill posted:

$10 drafts sounds great and is what I'm used to in Oahu. Sadly CGOFFX is far enough for me, never mind centre vile. Let me guess: he used to play at VC or compleat? Or God forbid, the underground basement dungeon of anime pavilion?

He played at AP. He got banned from VC for supposedly buying/selling a couple bulk rares from/to a guy while in the store. :v: (I'm honestly not sure the exact reason.)

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Starving Autist posted:

It isn't. It only appears to be mint if you don't look at the back, which is why people get confused when they see an ostensibly mint condition card going for so cheap.

I'm surprised someone hasn't bought it given that you're not playing with an unsleeved Bayou anyway.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

Next flavor piece is out

Looks like it's going in the same direction everyone thought it was going to go in.

Yup. Dagathar arranges a truce with Dromoka by agreeing to outlaw black magic within the Abzan.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

AlternateNu posted:

He played at AP. He got banned from VC for supposedly buying/selling a couple bulk rares from/to a guy while in the store. :v: (I'm honestly not sure the exact reason.)

Oh, now I know the guy. Yeah, I remember there was some tension when I saw him around. No wonder he's no longer around. The clerks specifically said he can't buy anything in the store, but you know how wink-wink nudge-nudge "I promise" those things go. I used to play at AP but, and you said it was your LGS, the basement vibe never did it for me.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

First Bass posted:

My Tiny Leader orders came in today and they sent me a foil Spectral Rider instead of foil Spectral Flight. Close, but no cigar.

I know a guy who got given a list of cards to buy for his friend's Cheerios deck. The list said 4 Kher Keep, so instead of the card Kobolds of Kher Keep, he bought him 4 of the land.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Angry Grimace posted:

Yup. Dagathar arranges a truce with Dromoka by agreeing to outlaw black magic within the Abzan.

Hopefully this means more ally colored cards. I want a playable GW aggro deck again.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Hopefully this means more ally colored cards. I want a playable GW aggro deck again.

The Dromoka brood does not seem to be an aggro clan - from what we've seen its the big butts clan.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I have a feeling the ONLY gold cards we'll see in DTK are gonna be allied colors

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

Next flavor piece is out

Haha, guess they decided trying to be subtle was too much effort

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

forbidden lesbian posted:

Haha, guess they decided trying to be subtle was too much effort

Wizards and subtlety, we got a comedian here folks

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

goferchan posted:

I have a feeling the ONLY gold cards we'll see in DTK are gonna be allied colors

It'd be a nice bookend to Khans, at least. If I remember right Khans had no ally color gold cards (it is very possible I'm not remembering right)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Wizards and subtlety, we got a comedian here folks

Eh, I guess I just mean that literally having the guy go "let's outlaw black magic" is a little bit too on the nose for me.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Chill la Chill posted:

Oh, now I know the guy. Yeah, I remember there was some tension when I saw him around. No wonder he's no longer around. The clerks specifically said he can't buy anything in the store, but you know how wink-wink nudge-nudge "I promise" those things go. I used to play at AP but, and you said it was your LGS, the basement vibe never did it for me.

I play at both, but I get home from work too late on Fridays to make it to FNM at VC, and AP's doesn't start until 10. When I have time, I hit up draft at VC on Sundays. It is kind of funny talking to people from both stores bitching about the other with varying degrees of intensity. I've only been in the area for a little over a year, but from what I can tell, AP has cleaned itself up quite a bit from where it was. :shrug:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I hope in the story we get the "kicked out" color not having any dual color cards, and being all "we now hate the clan that shunned us"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

jassi007 posted:

I hope in the story we get the "kicked out" color not having any dual color cards, and being all "we now hate the clan that shunned us"

Lifebane Zombie reprint incoming, RIP Kibler :zombie:

• Locked thread