Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

Man, I forgot how rough it was watching Gary's dreams of becoming a good guy fall apart in season 5 :smith:

Or how Rusty is so desperately lonely that he not only befriends the tape recording of a children's toy, but just wants to hang out and chat with the "Beaver Inspectors" who come around to his house. At least he gets the happiness of SPANAKOPITA!

Not anymore since they sold the island, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Steve Yun posted:

Not anymore since they sold the island, right?

They sold St. Cloud a spinach pie.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The guy implied that all he sold Saint Cloud was a million dollars in Spinach Pie.

"Spinach humble pie" as Uncle Vatred put it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I interpreted that as meaning that the island itself was worthless because the whole festival was made up and would cease to exist once they left, and that St Cloud was buying the island because he wanted to own the festival and all that to spite Venture.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Spanikopita tastes really good.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I interpreted that as meaning that the island itself was worthless because the whole festival was made up and would cease to exist once they left, and that St Cloud was buying the island because he wanted to own the festival and all that to spite Venture.

How do you so consistently and remarkably fail to understand really obvious things that happen in TV shows?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I acquit!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

theflyingexecutive posted:

How do you so consistently and remarkably fail to understand really obvious things that happen in TV shows?
Naw, it's pretty clear now that St Cloud bought the island. St Cloud now has a deed to the island.

When Vatred says St Cloud just bought a bunch of "spinach humble pie" it's figurative. Nobody ever uses "humble pie" in any literal sense.

When Giorgios says "why sell a man your best goat when you can wrap up some spinach in feta and phyllo and call it a goat" he's not talking about literal goats and spinach pie.

St Cloud blew millions of dollars on an island that he thought was valuable but is actually worthless. That's good dramatic irony.

St Cloud buying a bunch of spinach pie isn't.

Giorgios not only gets paid millions, he can retire now and no longer has to keep up the facade about the Spanakopita festival.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 11, 2015

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Naw, it's pretty clear now that St Cloud bought the island. St Cloud now has a deed to the island.

When Vatred says St Cloud just bought a bunch of "spinach humble pie" it's figurative. Nobody ever uses "humble pie" in any literal sense.

When Giorgios says "why sell a man your best goat when you can wrap up some spinach in feta and phyllo and call it a goat" he's not talking about literal goats and spinach pie.

St Cloud blew millions of dollars on an island that he thought was valuable but is actually worthless. That's good dramatic irony.

St Cloud buying a bunch of spinach pie isn't.

Giorgios not only gets paid millions, he can retire now and no longer has to keep up the facade about the Spanakopita festival.

what

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Do you really not understand what figurative language is.

Giorgios didn't sell St Cloud a literal loving spinach pie.

http://teamventure.org/vbwiki/Spanakopita!

quote:

St. Cloud learned about the plan to rob him, so he arranged with Giorgos to by the island. And since St. Cloud now owns the island, he bans Doc from returning to the island. Giorgos comforts Doc with a saying that to Doc is, “All Greek to him.” Hatred, now aware of the truth, tells Doc that all he bought was the land and some, “Spinach Humble Pie.”

St Cloud thinks the island is valuable because of the Spanakopita festival, which several people compete over.

Hatred does some snooping around and finds out that the Spanakopita festival is a giant lie.

St Cloud loses the contest so he buys the island for millions of dollars to spite everyone.

Hatred laughs it off because he knows the festival is bullshit, and knows St Cloud wasted his money on the island.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 11, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I've traveled to every continent on the globe, including Atlantis and outer space and Brigadoon!

Where do they get this stuff? Just googled Brigadoon...

e: How about a nice high-top fade like kid and/or play?

For some reason the investors are in this episode while Impossible is giving his speech at the university, because...?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 11, 2015

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Where do they get this stuff? Just googled Brigadoon...

They think up a reference they find funny and put it in the show. It doesn't matter if anyone else gets it.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECUrlnXCqk

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Are you really using the wiki? Really?

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 11, 2015

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

That's why I had to stop reading the AT thread!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

It doesn't matter if anyone else gets it.

Brigadoon isn't exactly obscure. I mean, the movie version had Gene Kelly!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'm pretty sure the Greek guys who spent their past decades relying on fleecing a rich dude did not actually sell the island, or event, to St. Cloud. It's definitely going to be spinach pies, that's just how the Venture world works.

Among other things, the island ain't called Spanakopita, it's Spanikos.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

theflyingexecutive posted:

That's why I had to stop reading the AT thread!
One of the Adventure Time writers posted in our thread that he really appreciated reading what we said about the show, and even wrote in the Art of Adventure Time book that Something Awful was one of his favorite places to visit because we "get" the show. Sorry, but we're not the problem.

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'm pretty sure the Greek guys who spent their past decades relying on fleecing a rich dude did not actually sell the island, or event, to St. Cloud. It's definitely going to be spinach pies, that's just how the Venture world works.
I dunno, I'd hardly call a few hundreds of dollars a year for an annual 3 day hotel visit "fleecing." It seems that the primary reason for keeping up the facade was because they genuinely felt bad for Rusty. There's also an interesting contrast in what a lovely dad Jonas was compared to these thieves who felt bad for Rusty and actually dried his tears for a few days. And then did it again on an annual basis for decades.

In comparison to the hundreds of dollars they get from Rusty's visits, selling their island to St Cloud is a massive payday. St Cloud holds up a deed to the island and says that he bought it in front of Giorgios and Giorgios doesn't dispute it. No "oh no sorry I sold you a spinach pie" or anything along those lines. And what humor is there in selling a spinach pie to St Cloud? There's an actual joke in selling St Cloud a worthless island that he thinks is valuable, especially since Giorgios and Hatred can't even explain to Venture why it's funny to them because then they'd have to ruin several decades of fond memories.

At any rate, if nobody's going to be convinced one way or the other I guess we can revisit this topic again whenever the hell the show decides to make a callback to this episode. In 2018.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 11, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

Among other things, the island ain't called Spanakopita, it's Spanikos.

he says he sold "humble pie" because st cloud humiliated himself. st. cloud's whole motif is that he's a collector who throws huge amounts of money around blindly on items of questionable value and keeps them for his exclusive use. by buying the island, he also buys the festival, which is a valuable bit of rusty venture memorabilia. but the festival only exists because of rusty. if st. cloud bans rusty (which he can, as the islands new owner) the island loses what little value it had - it's just a rando tiny impoverished island.

georgio wasn't 'fleecing' rusty to any large degree, it's just normal off-the-beaten-track tourist hustle. i doubt rusty's broke rear end is a significant contributor to the island's economy, as desperately poor as they are. so rusty shows up once a year for a fake festival, at least letting the weird man have some jollies is something kind and entertaining. the islanders are established as being overly hospitable. it's still a lovely island though, so georgio is happy to sell and in this way gets some extremely petty revenge against the dead jonas sr. for beating him up decades ago

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 11, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Steve Yun posted:

One of the Adventure Time writers posted in our thread that he really appreciated reading what we said about the show, and even wrote in the Art of Adventure Time book that Something Awful was one of his favorite places to visit because we "get" the show. Sorry, but we're not the problem.

"Hey guys, an adult who gets paid to make 11 minute cartoons for ADDled children said that a community of manchildren understood his work the best." :hfive:

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Hey guys, an adult who gets paid to make 11 minute cartoons for ADDled children said that a community of manchildren understood his work the best." :hfive:

you do realize what thread we are all in right? scale it back some captain cool.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I was under the impression that St. Cloud bought the festival rights and not the island itself. He paid millions for Spanikopita, the island is Spanakos. Of course, we know Spanikopita as a festival does not actually exist, so essentially St. Cloud bought nothing (or a big mess of spinach pie maybe.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Not to mention that when Rusty asks "why did you sell it?", the answer he gets is "why buy the cow when you get the milk for free". That phrase means "don't sell the whole thing if you can give only a part of it at a greater benefit. And Hatred says that he only bought humility. Saint Cloud didn't buy what he intended is what those two characters are telling Rusty, and Saint Cloud thinks he bought the island. That's the only way he could think he could exclude Rusty next year, from preventing him from entering his alleged property.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Property rights aside, the implication there again I think is referring to the festival itself. If he owns the festival he can not allow Rusty to participate even if he doesn't own the land the festival is taking place on.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

IUG posted:

Not to mention that when Rusty asks "why did you sell it?", the answer he gets is "why buy the cow when you get the milk for free". That phrase means "don't sell the whole thing if you can give only a part of it at a greater benefit. And Hatred says that he only bought humility. Saint Cloud didn't buy what he intended is what those two characters are telling Rusty, and Saint Cloud thinks he bought the island. That's the only way he could think he could exclude Rusty next year, from preventing him from entering his alleged property.

This guy gets it

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
I think Spanikopita is my favourite episode of season 5, because it reminds me so much of the kind of episode they would make in season 1. A little adventure to a far away place, mostly loving around when they get there, not really related to the story at large, and as confusing to some people as a Perry Bible Fellowship comic.

All in all, a good episode.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Tristesse posted:

I was under the impression that St. Cloud bought the festival rights and not the island itself. He paid millions for Spanikopita, the island is Spanakos. Of course, we know Spanikopita as a festival does not actually exist, so essentially St. Cloud bought nothing (or a big mess of spinach pie maybe.)

Ahh, you're right.

Strangely enough, both interpretations are viable in that case.

Giorgios says "why sell a goat when you can sell him spinach pie and tell him it's goat" (which isn't quite the same as "why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free" BTW)

If Giorgios sold him spinach pie it works because Giorgios thinks he bought the festival and instead bought spinach pie.

If Giorgios sold him the festival it works because it was a bullshit festival that they convinced everyone was a real holiday.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 11, 2015

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I think that the people of Spanikos make plenty of Spanikopita... dough... on account of Rusty, who may not be insanely rich but does have plenty of... green stuff... to throw around.

As to what St. Cloud bought... well, I don't think it's something quite as goofy as an absurdly large amount of a perishable savory pastry. I mean, if they sold him millions of dollars worth of that in an effort to hoodwink hornswoggle him, well, at some point they'd have to make millions of dollars worth of spanikopita. That is not an easy feat, especially for a place that doesn't grow anything and probably has very few pastry factories of any kind. I also doubt he bought the island itself, because while it would allow him to exclude people, it would require him to have purchased individual land rights form every single person on that island. They may have been willing to put up with Rusty's annual visits, especially with no small amount of motivation coming in the form of tourist dollars, but selling land to some other random American? Possible, but doubtful.

I can see them cashing in the annual visits for one big lump sum payout, though. And, the perfect way to do that without disrupting life on the island in any way would be to sell the rights to a completely made-up-for-one-person festival to some inordinately rich person for a hefty sum. At best, they continue the festival with an even richer rube. At worst, they never have the festival again, and instead just enjoy that big, final payout.

I love this episode. It really captures that sense of unbridled happiness that people who struggle financially get when they finally are able to forget their worries for a few days and just enjoy themselves for the sake of enjoying themselves. Having struggled financially myself in the past, and having taken many of these kinds of vacations myself (though not to Greece, obviously), I get it. And, the fact that the festival that gives Doc his only whiff of happiness all year long just so happens to be completely made-up, just for him, just to take money from him, and all because of his neglectful father who, once the neglecting is done, then shows up to instill an impetus for vengeance in the locals? Quite possibly, it's the most Venture thing on the show.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
christ

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

tarlibone posted:

I love this episode. It really captures that sense of unbridled happiness that people who struggle financially get when they finally are able to forget their worries for a few days and just enjoy themselves for the sake of enjoying themselves. Having struggled financially myself in the past, and having taken many of these kinds of vacations myself (though not to Greece, obviously), I get it. And, the fact that the festival that gives Doc his only whiff of happiness all year long just so happens to be completely made-up, just for him, just to take money from him, and all because of his neglectful father who, once the neglecting is done, then shows up to instill an impetus for vengeance in the locals? Quite possibly, it's the most Venture thing on the show.

Well, Rusty's annual visits can't be bringing that much money to the island. He's just spending several hundred on hotel and food, that's hardly enough to prop up the economy.

I'd like to think of it as them keeping up the ruse because they didn't want to break Rusty's heart.

So when St Cloud offers to buy the festival for millions of dollars, it's an unexpected payday for them.

And in the end, I like this because Giorgios is being repaid for his genuine kindness. He lied to young Rusty because even as a thief he felt sorry for this kid who was abandoned by his dad for several days, and he kept up the lie for decades out of the kindness of his heart, and if he hadn't kept up this white lie he wouldn't have had the opportunity to sell it to St Cloud. It's like God/the universe/fate finally repaid him for being so nice when he didn't have to be.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

There was a report about Cuba recently that said that Netflix was going to start there. However, at $8 a month, that was 75% of the average worker's salary in that country. So I can imagine that Rusty spending a few hundred dollars could be a significant boost in income to a country who's primary export could just be sponges and spinach.

EDIT: A third.
http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/09/netflix-cuba/

IUG fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 11, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
True, true. But I just like the heartwarming angle.

And the idea that a bunch of thieves were a better father figure to Rusty adds to the ongoing list of indictments against Jonas

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 11, 2015

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Oh sure, but I'm saying that they're getting both. They get the annual income from Rusty, and this one time fortune from some prick.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tristesse posted:

IUG posted:

Yeah exactly. And then next year St. Cloud is going to be pissed when Georgio tells Rusty that the festival is now called "Spanakopitas" since St. Cloud at most bought the name "Spanakopita".

It also allows them to both get a huge payday AND continue getting Rusty's money every year.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Hi it was a pleasant surprise to find that there was new Venture Brothers to watch yesterday.

Good stuff.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Hi it was a pleasant surprise to find that there was new Venture Brothers to watch yesterday.

Good stuff.

Man, if I'd known you didn't know, I'd have said something...

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Toplowtech posted:

I wonder if the "successful rusty" from the parallel dimension is just a Rusty with hair implants from a dimension where he inherited sooner/slightly in the future. Comedy option: Rusty used a time travel portal, not a parallel dimension portal without realizing it.

I know this is from waaaay back, but it's even simpler: the "successful Rusty" comes from a timeline where Congress didn't outlaw cloning technology.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh my god the joke about "buying 'spanakopita'" relies on the most fundamental joke to the entire episode: that a bunch of idiots don't know what "spanakopita" is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

I don't even like Venture Bros. - I only read the thread to argue about small details. Reading outdated fan wikis and rewatching 3 seconds of the same scene over and over so I can tell other people online how they're wrong is the real treat.

Now to start a new thread about The Office, and tell people how Jim really loved Karen, but his fear of unknown risk led to complacency with Pam and Scranton.