Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm guessing that Junya makes off with the frame at the least. Hence why it has a very different looking external appearance.

I dunno, I'm willing to chalk that up to Junya wanting it to look cooler/not be quite so obvious about how he stole it. I mean imagine if he just plopped down a 1:1 replica of the TBB. Even the hilariously terrible admins for Build Fighters would realize something's up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blackchamber posted:

Also I think the Burning being made for Reiji is total BS. Reiji used guns, because in the tournament level where it was 1 vs. 1 you need to be well rounded. Having a pure melee fighter works as part of a team that has other people specializing to make up the difference. So Sei decided to hamstring Reiji if he ever returned to fight?

I seem to remember they totally ditched the idea of giving the Burning a ranged weapon because Sekai sucked at shooting. It would make a vague amount of sense if Sei left behind only the core model of the Build Burning and kept any of the weapons or parts for use on other projects.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Except it's not being handwaved away! Like the ending and the fact that evil-martial arts dude's unit is what it is is such an obvious tell as to what happens to all least MOST of those parts. It's all a set up to explain how he's got a unit that is just a refit of a Sei original design.

At most Yuuma will grab a part or two to pull TBB into roughly fighting shape but that poo poo is all going to the bad guy.

That's my guess, I'm thinking Yuuma gets all the parts stolen and TBB is weaker than before, and now it has to fight a fully powered modded version of itself. I don't think they're gonna have sleggar come in and save yuuma at the last second.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Condiv posted:

That's my guess, I'm thinking Yuuma gets all the parts stolen and TBB is weaker than before, and now it has to fight a fully powered modded version of itself. I don't think they're gonna have sleggar come in and save yuuma at the last second.

Slegger is show in the preview in the same location as where Yuuma is being mugged, also at night. He might not save all of the BB's parts but he is probably going to save Yuuma.

Also it isn't TBB vs TBB. It's TBB vs Build Burning. Yuuma did upgrades to the Try.

What I'm curious about is how the crap they plan to do a 1v1 battle unless they have Fumina and Yuuma job randomly again.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Gearhead posted:

Laughing my fool head off with the reveal that the Real Mode ALSO uses multiple GN Drives.

This. I knew about Real Mode but I wasn't expecting it to be powered up by additional GN drives from the bits. I'm really looking forward to Star Winning vs. Gundam Portant. I wonder if they both can go Trans-Am. :allears:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Honestly these two episodes were kind of weak, but they got Real Mode out there just in time for the kit and introduced then resolved the plot of the least important rivals. So hey, better than some of BF's weaker episodes.

I laughed so hard when they finally did just blow up the mansion. I get that it wouldn't have been as effective earlier since they didn't have the other team trapped in a cave with an unstable ceiling, but they still totally could have just done that first. Ah well, guess they wanted to make the fight exciting for the crowd.

I was also kind of bummed that Sei just sent over new parts, but I guess they did have to explain where Evil Build Burning comes from. And hey, Sekai actually knows Junya! Don't know why he couldn't have been mentioned earlier but basically everything about Sekai is being poorly handled so I'm not sure what I was expecting.

I also really loved the explanation for why Sei hid the Build Burning away. Kind of weird that he didn't put on any weapons at all, considering Reiji's thing was that he was good with everything, but I guess that would have made it harder to fit in the Dom. And it's Sei, he probably had a backpack with everything Reiji might have needed too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

I also really loved the explanation for why Sei hid the Build Burning away. Kind of weird that he didn't put on any weapons at all, considering Reiji's thing was that he was good with everything, but I guess that would have made it harder to fit in the Dom. And it's Sei, he probably had a backpack with everything Reiji might have needed too.

I'm a little confused by the explanation though. People said earlier that Sei used the Build Burning in a previous tournament. So he used it despite it being custom-made for Reiji, and then got sad and sealed it away?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'm not sure where you guys are getting GN drives from with Fushima, They didn't make that "look it's a gn drive" sound and looked like somewhat normal turbines?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I'm a little confused by the explanation though. People said earlier that Sei used the Build Burning in a previous tournament. So he used it despite it being custom-made for Reiji, and then got sad and sealed it away?

Didn't they say it was like the machine Sei used? I don't recall anyone straight up saying that's exactly Sei's machine. I assumed everyone thought it was like sei's cause of the particle manipulation.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Sakai says it's based on the machine Sei used earlier, not that it actually is it. Sei probably just gradually added more clear parts to the Build Strike and eventually made an entire new Gundam out of the concept.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Didn't they say it was like the machine Sei used? I don't recall anyone straight up saying that's exactly Sei's machine. I assumed everyone thought it was like sei's cause of the particle manipulation.

They named it as the Build Burning when saying that though.

BlitzBlast posted:

Sakai says it's based on the machine Sei used earlier, not that it actually is it.

What I took from that is that they didn't realize it was literally the same machine. They still said Sei was the one using the Build Burning in the 11th (I think that was it) tournament), not that it was a different machine.

Edit: Yeah, it's 11th. That is why the model number is 011.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 11, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

They named it as the Build Burning when saying that though.

Yeah but that name was probably listed in some team roster for the tourney/ announced for fights. I think its more like what Blitz said.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well it is also possible that the current Build Burning does not actually have a name, and Ral just reused the name of the last thing Sei used. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah but that name was probably listed in some team roster for the tourney/ announced for fights. I think its more like what Blitz said.

No, I mean they said "That is based off the Build Burning Gundam used by Sei Iori in the 11th Championship." Also the BBG's model number is 011 specifically because it is the same machine used in the 11th championship.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 11, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Some of the players indicated that it looked like a retooled version of the one he used during the 11th WC. So chances are that he used one to test it out, worked the kinks out of it and then sealed it.

beaten like a three headed step dragon

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Anyways, am I the only one completely confused as to why Assimilation is even a thing? At first I thought it was tied to Burning Mode, but no it's just it's own thing. Why does Sekai need two things that dramatically increase his capabilities? :confused:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Don't apologize, this was my first thought too.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I'm not really sure why people are wondering why Sei didn't put guns on the Build Burning. Between the first time he asked Sei about Gunpla Battle ("Is it like mixed martial arts?") and then with all the Build Knuckle spam in the World Tournament itself, I figured it was kind of obvious that Reiji always had a preference for melee combat. Yeah, he used the Build Strike and Star Build Strike's ranged weapons when it made sense to do so, but he clearly favored fighting hand-to-hand whenever he had the chance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Anyways, am I the only one completely confused as to why Assimilation is even a thing? At first I thought it was tied to Burning Mode, but no it's just it's own thing. Why does Sekai need two things that dramatically increase his capabilities? :confused:

Assimilation feels to me like a plot point they retooled midway through, to be honest.

A lot of the second half feels like retooled plot points to me. Mostly in a good way but still. The Gunpla Academy in particular don't really make sense with their buildup in the first half.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

W.T. Fits posted:

I'm not really sure why people are wondering why Sei didn't put guns on the Build Burning. Between the first time he asked Sei about Gunpla Battle ("Is it like mixed martial arts?") and then with all the Build Knuckle spam in the World Tournament itself, I figured it was kind of obvious that Reiji always had a preference for melee combat. Yeah, he used the Build Strike and Star Build Strike's ranged weapons when it made sense to do so, but he clearly favored fighting hand-to-hand whenever he had the chance.

Reiji wasn't a one trick pony though, yeah the build knuckle popped up a few times as a finisher but he made good use of his booster, guns, and a saber... but lets be honest: at the GWC unless you switch gunpla for each event like the Renato bros, you need a well rounded machine. How would the burning of done in the race and marksmanship events we saw last season?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

How would the burning of done in the race and marksmanship events we saw last season?

It would have won the race by doing the particle-step and the marksmanship event by blowing up the moon, duh.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Look man, Sei had to stretch it as is to fit the Burning in a Dom, how was he supposed to fit a gun or some beam sabers in there too? :colbert:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

It would have won the race by doing the particle-step and the marksmanship event by blowing up the moon, duh.

He didnt even have the firebird thing until after that girl tuned it up for him though, right? Yeah he doesn't need speed so much as the ability to run in space by pushing off particle footsteps.

And atleast Reiji got taken to Ral's gunpla fight club to get some experience and training (Reiji was also a martial artist, uses a Ball which doesn't mesh with that). Sekai was didn't need that, he has the Jigen Haoh School and wand waving to overcome his deficiencies (again particle steps for space).

Again, lets be honest: its all because they want to have each member of team Try to specialize in something.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 11, 2015

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blackchamber posted:

Reiji wasn't a one trick pony though, yeah the build knuckle popped up a few times as a finisher but he made good use of his booster, guns, and a saber... but lets be honest: at the GWC unless you switch gunpla for each event like the Renato bros, you need a well rounded machine. How would the burning of done in the race and marksmanship events we saw last season?

Reiji used the Build Knuckle as a finisher in every fight after it was introduced, it wasn't a minor thing.

What I'm curious about is how Sei imagined Reiji flying the Build Burning. The impression I got from that end of episode message of "It's your Gunpla now" is that Sekai in the Try Burning is distinct from the way Sei intended Reiji to use the Build Burning. For all we know the Build Burning does have a booster and a full weapon loadout lying around somewhere else, Sei is a SEED kiddie and we know he loves mecha expansion packs. Or maybe there's a way to use the Build Burning to fire particle shots weaker than Moonscraper Phoenix Fist or whatever and it never occurred to Sekai because he's a meat-head.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly, in the wake of this episode, I really really don't understand why Fumina isn't treated as an absurdly amazing builder.

I mean the Star Winning Gundam is insane. It is more insane than the Tryon 3. It is a SD-sized robot with an absurd different number of funnels and weapons which transforms into a particle-spewing real type with super robot attacks. Try Burning and Lightning FV barely seem to match up. (And Try Burning only goes as far as it does because of Jigen Haoh techniques and Assimilation, neither of which are tied to the robot.)

Insanity isn't the same as power but it doesn't really seem to be lacking there either. It's also seemingly more durable than Lightning is too based off this episode. She did have help from Yuuma and Gyanko and so-on but it was her build (and she even told Shia that.)

It'd also more clearly delineate the roles if Sekai was master kung-fu, Yuuma was real snipemaster and Fumina was the utterly batshit insane builder. Instead it feels like Fumina's kind of better than Yuuma in every way except the plot not recognizing it.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

Look man, Sei had to stretch it as is to fit the Burning in a Dom, how was he supposed to fit a gun or some beam sabers in there too? :colbert:

Could have hid them in the legs. And all the spare parts. And a booster. Maybe another Gundam too.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Try Burning and Lightning FV barely seem to match up.

Well don't forget that last episode the Lightning FB got crippled. In fact it was explicitly too weak to even dodge by itself or do much more than fire some missiles and one last shot. The Star Winning is certainly the most creative of the three, but build quality-wise both the Lightning and the Burning probably have it beat in spades. The Lightning is certainly the easiest to repair of the lot as well, which is definitely a big plus in a tournament like this.

Meanwhile the big thing about the Try Burning seems to be like all of Sei's products; the base suit itself isn't particularly special, it's the sheer build quality that makes it the perfect blank slate capable of being used by anyone. I mean Sei did not build the thing intending for some crazy martial artist to pilot it, but it happened and the Burning could do it anyways. Theoretically either Fumina or Yuuma could have also ended up with the Burning and customized it to fit their own needs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Well don't forget that last episode the Lightning FB got crippled. In fact it was explicitly too weak to even dodge by itself or do much more than fire some missiles and one last shot. The Star Winning is certainly the most creative of the three, but build quality-wise both the Lightning and the Burning probably have it beat in spades. The Lightning is certainly the easiest to repair of the lot as well, which is definitely a big plus in a tournament like this.

Meanwhile the big thing about the Try Burning seems to be like all of Sei's products; the base suit itself isn't particularly special, it's the sheer build quality that makes it the perfect blank slate capable of being used by anyone. I mean Sei did not build the thing intending for some crazy martial artist to pilot it, but it happened and the Burning could do it anyways. Theoretically either Fumina or Yuuma could have also ended up with the Burning and customized it to fit their own needs.

Oh, I know both pilots were suffering from weakened particle effects this episode. I just mean in general.

Try Burning is certainly the most well-built of them but it just feels less impressive. Maybe if we'd seen the full Sei one.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly, in the wake of this episode, I really really don't understand why Fumina isn't treated as an absurdly amazing builder.

I mean the Star Winning Gundam is insane. It is more insane than the Tryon 3. It is a SD-sized robot with an absurd different number of funnels and weapons which transforms into a particle-spewing real type with super robot attacks. Try Burning and Lightning FV barely seem to match up. (And Try Burning only goes as far as it does because of Jigen Haoh techniques and Assimilation, neither of which are tied to the robot.)

Insanity isn't the same as power but it doesn't really seem to be lacking there either. It's also seemingly more durable than Lightning is too based off this episode. She did have help from Yuuma and Gyanko and so-on but it was her build (and she even told Shia that.)

It'd also more clearly delineate the roles if Sekai was master kung-fu, Yuuma was real snipemaster and Fumina was the utterly batshit insane builder. Instead it feels like Fumina's kind of better than Yuuma in every way except the plot not recognizing it.

Well, Sakai, Shia, and Lady recognize her for it. I guess she didn't paint it well enough for everyone else.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Basically whenever I hear people talk about how Fumina is so much of a better builder than the others because of how cool her kit is, I'm reminded of that tricked out MG Duel Gundam AS that won a Comic Con contest... and then proceeded to utterly fail on the world stage because even though it looked cool, that was it. The builder didn't do any of the finer details at all, so while his kit looked cool it was much worse than more basic builds that were absolutely perfect.

On a related note, this is also why I can't look at Gundam Guy comments on how boring most tournament winning kits look without laughing because nobody ever seems to get this. It's all style over substance with GG commenters apparently.

This is also how I feel whenever someone starts talking about how Sei is a lovely builder because the Build Strike looks just like the Strike, incidentally.

EDIT: Here's a good example. Check out this Unicorn.

Now check out this one.

There are a lot of people who would say the second one is better because it looks cooler... completely ignoring just how much work went into detailing and re-proportioning the first one.

EDIT 2: Though I should probably note the second one has its own share of hard work put into it. It's just not nearly as much as the first one.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 11, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Creativity is a far easier thing to judge than build quality in this show because honestly what else can they do but be shown filling plastic and painting them. Like your best bet is how Obari it looks when it does the panoramic shot.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Creativity is a far easier thing to judge than build quality in this show because honestly what else can they do but be shown filling plastic and painting them. Like your best bet is how Obari it looks when it does the panoramic shot.

While true, this is also the reason characters point out exceptional build quality from characters like Yuuma.

The constantly rehashed complaints centering around judging build quality by creativity do get super loving annoying, though. I was hoping it would stop after Yuuma built a thing that runs at Trans-Am performance as a baseline with no gimmick involved, but nope.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Fumina's Real Mode was cool, but I still don't see how she's supposed to be an actual rival to Ms. Bullshit Skate on your laser blasts. Unless she invents like laser control or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The "well, the best Gundams are the ones that are just perfectly built, not the ones that have amazing gimmicks" doesn't really work when Tryon-3 exists and is specifically built by Yuuma's rival who wants to compete with him in building.

Likewise Fumina's stuff isn't just creative, it is extremely capable at Gunpla Battle, and build quality directly connects to unit quality in BF. Her rival is someone who is stated onscreen to maybe be a better builder than Yuuma even.

It also ignores that Fumina's machine isn't just well built but is an extremely complex build as well. Creating a machine, from scratch, that can transform from an SD model into a full-sized model is absurdly difficult and it feels weird to downplay the sheer complexity and work put into that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 12, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The OP shows its pretty fast and considering the whole shooting star thing Fumina has I'm expecting to be pretty fast. No point of actually showing off its speed when the enemy in todays episode was mostly stationary.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

ImpAtom posted:

The "well, the best Gundams are the ones that are just perfectly built, not the ones that have amazing gimmicks" doesn't really work when Tryon-3 exists and is specifically built by Yuuma's rival who wants to compete with him in building.

Likewise Fumina's stuff isn't just creative, it is extremely capable at Gunpla Battle, and build quality directly connects to unit quality in BF. Her rival is someone who is stated onscreen to be a better builder than Yuuma even.

What we're seeing is two different extremes of technique. Fumina is actually very close to the Osaka School of 'Go Forth And Be Awesome' while Yuuma's absolutely monstrous technical skill puts his builds equal to something that is completely wild while looking completely stock.

The hallmark of Yuuma's skill is that we look at this thing, which is a mech that never existed in canon before, and think he didn't DO anything with it. This is the same thing Sei does all the time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This is your monthly unprompted reminder that this exists.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 12, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gearhead posted:

The hallmark of Yuuma's skill is that we look at this thing, which is a mech that never existed in canon before, and think he didn't DO anything with it. This is the same thing Sei does all the time.

I don't think that at all. I recognize that (in-universe) Yuuma's build is impressive. I just think it exists in a way that is impressive but ignores the actual Gunpla Battle aspect of why it is impressive.

In comparison Sei building a Gunpla which is both perfectly built and is capable of manipulating and absorbing particles is impressive because it shows that he didn't just build a good model, he built something that takes full advantage of the Gunpla Arena. The Strike on its own would probably be impressive. The fact that the Strike also makes full use of particle manipulation gimmicks helps sell it.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Fumina also kept a blue cockpit all the way through, even with parts cracking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
This episode proves that it's really, really hard to make a fight with a mobile armor interesting. I liked the episode as a whole but the fight was pretty bad.

• Locked thread