Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, that movie was pretty much just "we love action movie choreography, here's an excuse to do more of that and do it well"

I thought the story was bad but I knew that going in, and Keanu's acting was stiff but it always is. It took too long to get started too, I would edit out most of the stuff before the fights personally.

But the fight sequences were all really well done, very smooth but also really violent, and I absolutely loved how colorful the film was.

I dunno, I thought Keanu's somewhat cold acting actually worked here since Wick's an emotionally devastated former hitman. And he still managed to nail that scene in the church where his composure finally breaks and turns into screaming rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Polaron posted:

I dunno, I thought Keanu's somewhat cold acting actually worked here since Wick's an emotionally devastated former hitman. And he still managed to nail that scene in the church where his composure finally breaks and turns into screaming rage.

The standout scene in that film, to me, is where he falls pretty far in that club and the camera doesn't cut away at all. It's just sickeningly realistic when you see him hit the ground hard.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Polaron posted:

Yeah but there's a line where the bartender lady at the hotel is like "Wow John, I've never seen you this vulnerable"

And its just Keanu Reeves looking exactly as "whoa" as he always does.

And all the stuff with his wife already being dead before the movie starts, but that isn't his motivation, but some punks randomly kill his dog so now HE'S REALLY ANGRY ? It was just a bit odd to me.

That scene you talked about was better, though.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Zaphod42 posted:

And all the stuff with his wife already being dead before the movie starts, but that isn't his motivation, but some punks randomly kill his dog so now HE'S REALLY ANGRY ? It was just a bit odd to me.

And his mustang, bro. Don't steal another mans mustang.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but there's a line where the bartender lady at the hotel is like "Wow John, I've never seen you this vulnerable"

And its just Keanu Reeves looking exactly as "whoa" as he always does.

Well it's more like he's at the breaking point because his wife died for unrelated reasons, and he's re-examining his life as a hitman, living with a dog, mostly checked out of it, just trying to be. And then some idiots who are directly related to one of his biggest clients in his old life come in once more, kill his dog, steal his car, and piss him off. So he just goes ballistic on them. You could go all movie analysis on it and point out that the kid who kills his dog is just the younger version of the guy he used to work with, so Wick sees the cycle will continue no matter what, and he has nothing else to live for, and the world is poo poo.. but this isn't CD.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The reason he gets crazy pissed about the puppy being killed by the mobsters is not because of the dog specifically, but because of what the dog represented to him and his late wife. They killed the dog, but it meant a lot more to Wick than just being a dog (although the dog being super cute did probably contribute). The movie gets this across in a kind of hamfisted manner- by having Wick literally read out the letter his wife left detailing what the dog's significance is when it arrives -but they do make an effort to tell the audience that it isn't just because they pissed him off in general.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CJacobs posted:

The reason he gets crazy pissed about the puppy being killed by the mobsters is not because of the dog specifically, but because of what the dog represented to him and his late wife. They killed the dog, but it meant a lot more to Wick than just being a dog (although the dog being super cute did probably contribute). The movie gets this across in a kind of hamfisted manner- by having Wick literally read out the letter his wife left detailing what the dog's significance is when it arrives -but they do make an effort to tell the audience that it isn't just because they pissed him off in general.

No I totally get that, It just seems like it would have been a better story if his wife had died because of his job, or because of those punks, instead. Its like they set themselves up for that plot, had a whole movie around it, and then at the last second decided that was too cliche or something and went with the dog/car thing instead?

Cage posted:

And his mustang, bro. Don't steal another mans mustang.

As a former owner of a 5.0, I will accept this reasoning. :cheeky:

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

No I totally get that, It just seems like it would have been a better story if his wife had died because of his job, or because of those punks, instead. Its like they set themselves up for that plot, had a whole movie around it, and then at the last second decided that was too cliche or something and went with the dog/car thing instead?

How many revenge flicks have you seen where the main protagonist avenges his wife's death? I think it was better this way.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

mustard_tiger posted:

How many revenge flicks have you seen where the main protagonist avenges his wife's death? I think it was better this way.

Yeah. The whole point of the dog being the breaking point that sends him on a rampage was intentionally to subvert the "revenge for dead spouse/kid/parent" trope that is so common in action movies.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is her loving name Moneypenny?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's a family naming convention, at least she didn't end up like her brother Foodpotato

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Agreed. I thought it worked well and humanized a completely broken, emotionless Reeves in a really good way. Most people would break when their wife got killed by some hitmen, and if they were a hitman themselves they'd go ballistic. That's easy and cliché and par for the course. Having the killing of the dog push him (someone who was really struggling to escape his former life, figure who he is, was and wants to be, and fundamentally change himself) over the edge like that worked really well in what is essentially a bare-bones 'look at our awesome violence and choreography'-film.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

This reminds me of an irrationally irritating moment of my own.

Dark Knight Rises:
"You should use your full name, I like that name. Robin."

Robin was the superhero alter ego identity, it was never the name of the character. Even then, its just way too explicit, like HEY YOU GUYS. Comeon Nolan, have some more subtlety. :rolleyes:

If the line was just "You should use your full name" that'd be a nice wink that there was something else going on, people could have figured it out. Or if she called him Jason Todd or Dick Grayson or something.
But no, better make it clear "HEY ROBIN! HOW'S BATMAN?"

I know, I'm a huge nerd. But it bothered the hell out of me.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Zaphod42 posted:

This reminds me of an irrationally irritating moment of my own.

Dark Knight Rises:
"You should use your full name, I like that name. Robin."

Robin was the superhero alter ego identity, it was never the name of the character. Even then, its just way too explicit, like HEY YOU GUYS. Comeon Nolan, have some more subtlety. :rolleyes:

If the line was just "You should use your full name" that'd be a nice wink that there was something else going on, people could have figured it out. Or if she called him Jason Todd or Dick Grayson or something.
But no, better make it clear "HEY ROBIN! HOW'S BATMAN?"

I know, I'm a huge nerd. But it bothered the hell out of me.

It bugged me because I seem to remember there being no point in the story where it was crucial his name be spoken until that scene. Nolan could have just avoided having his name be spoken at all and likely no one would have noticed while watching, and then he could've dropped the Dick Grayson bomb at the end.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Esroc posted:

It bugged me because I seem to remember there being no point in the story where it was crucial his name be spoken until that scene. Nolan could have just avoided having his name be spoken at all and likely no one would have noticed while watching, and then he could've dropped the Dick Grayson bomb at the end.

That reminds me of another one related to name reveals.

In Kill Bill, Quentin Tarantino specifically not just avoids saying the Bride's name, but at times he goes ahead and says the name, but then censors it out. He censors his own big-budget film with bleeps like its a show on MTV. In the end her name is not spoken anywhere in Kill Bill part 1.

Then in Part 2 like halfway through the film they're like "Hey there Beatrix Kiddo!" which is a really odd name, but... that's it. It doesn't really mean anything. Its not really a plot point, so why go through so much trouble to hide it in part 1? Its not like one of the other characters was named Mr.Kiddo and knowing her name would reveal that they were related or anything, its just 'hehe, that's her name!". The reveal isn't even especially grand, its treated as a quick joke.

I guess knowing that part 1 and part 2 were going to be released to theaters separately, having an element of mystery could drive sales for the second half?

I just don't understand why he made such a big deal out of it.

Its even in the script:

Kill Bill Script posted:

"Hello Sweetie, I'm *(Bleep)*, whats your name?"

* Whenever during the picture somebody says The Bride's real name, it will be BLEEPED OUT ON THE SOUNDTRACK ... that is, till I want you to know. *
The all-caps is standard for scripts, but the whole "hehe I'm going to bleep this out" footnote is pretty unusual. I guess its just typical Quentin Tarantino being high on the smell of his own farts.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 21:25 on Feb 11, 2015

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
She actually is called Kiddo in the first movie and it's not bleeped. You're supposed to then realize that they were saying her name and not just the word kiddo in part 2 so it's meant to be a weirdly set up joke.

Radicals
Dec 16, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

This always bothered me too, it may as well have been "Dollaramount".

For me, 2 things bother me in movies;

1) When a character says nothing out of the ordinary and another asks "What do you mean?" or "What are you talking about!?" When it is very clear what they were talking about or meant. Fellowship of the Ring, Frodo and Sam are in the corn field, Sam thinks he's lost Frodo, and screams out "Frodo!" Who then appears. Sam says "Oh! I thought I'd lost you!" To which Frodo asks "...What do you mean...?" With a concerned look. It's like, what the gently caress do you think he meant, Frodo?

2) Terminator 1, first scene or so, Kyle Reese has just spawned in as an unarmed newb in the alley, corners a cop, turning his own gun against him and asks "What is the date!?" The cop obliges. Kyle urges; "THE YEAR!?" And the cop replies with "Whaaaaaaaa......?" Yes, because that is the craziest thing you've had happen to you all week, right? You L.A cops sure lead pretty quiet lives! And besides that, what kind of a reaction do you want from Kyle by saying "Whaaa?" to his face? Boy Kyle, you sure sound silly! Let my reaction show you how silly you are! Haha! Please don't kill me!

Radicals has a new favorite as of 21:52 on Feb 11, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Moneypenny is a last name dating back to the 13th century.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Radicals posted:

I went to school with some rich-for-the-area dude who's last name was fuckin "Cashdollar".

I prefer Ray Dennis Steckler's fake name Cash Flagg, personally.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Radicals posted:

1) When a character says nothing out of the ordinary and another asks "What do you mean?" or "What are you talking about!?" When it is very clear what they were talking about or meant. Fellowship of the Ring, Frodo and Sam are in the corn field, Sam thinks he's lost Frodo, and screams out "Frodo!" Who then appears. Sam says "Oh! I thought I'd lost you!" To which Frodo asks "...What do you mean...?" With a concerned look. It's like, what the gently caress do you think he meant, Frodo?

I take that to mean "Where the gently caress did you think I went, dumbass?" The concerned look is because he thinks Sam might be a little bit thick.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Radicals posted:

2) Terminator 1, first scene or so, Kyle Reese has just spawned in as an unarmed newb in the alley, corners a cop, turning his own gun against him and asks "What is the date!?" The cop obliges. Kyle urges; "THE YEAR!?" And the cop replies with "Whaaaaaaaa......?" Yes, because that is the craziest thing you've had happen to you all week, right? You L.A cops sure lead pretty quiet lives! And besides that, what kind of a reaction do you want from Kyle by saying "Whaaa?" to his face? Boy Kyle, you sure sound silly! Let my reaction show you how silly you are! Haha! Please don't kill me!

He stole that poor hobo's pants.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Radicals posted:

I think if someone drew a gun on me and asked me what year it was I'd be a little stunned, too. It's a peculiar thing to ask, like if someone drew a weapon on me and demanded I answer "WHAT IS THE COLOR OF THIS SHIRT I'M WEARING?!" I'd be pretty "whaaa" too, because I'd be certain I just misheard him.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

I went to school with some rich-for-the-area dude who's last name was fuckin "Cashdollar".

I prefer Ray Dennis Steckler's fake name Cash Flagg, personally.

One of my old bosses names' was Jay Dollar, and he'd sign things as J$ which I thought was actually kinda clever.

Morpheus posted:

I think if someone drew a gun on me and asked me what year it was I'd be a little stunned, too. It's a peculiar thing to ask, like if someone drew a weapon on me and demanded I answer "WHAT IS THE COLOR OF THIS SHIRT I'M WEARING?!" I'd be pretty "whaaa" too, because I'd be certain I just misheard him.

I'd be thinking "okay this guy is a basketcase, better play along" and a cop would probably know even better.

But while I do agree with the Frodo & Sam example, I think the terminator one is less egregious.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I'd assume the guy was a crackhead and do whatever he wanted until I didn't have a crazy man pointing a gun at me.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I went ahead and finally watched Looper.

I get that in the future they have a hard time DISPOSING of bodies, but why wouldn't they just kill them in the future and just send a corpse to be buried in the past? The whole scene when Bruce Willis escapes in the future involves him getting shot at, so I guess they can kill if they need.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They also just straight up shoot his wife in the gut and kill her almost immediately after stunning Bruce Willis with their stun thingy because they've just gotten off of explaining how nobody can get away with killing anybody in the future.

Looper is not a very smart movie.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

CJacobs posted:

They also just straight up shoot his wife in the gut and kill her almost immediately after stunning Bruce Willis with their stun thingy because they've just gotten off of explaining how nobody can get away with killing anybody in the future.

Haha, right, I has forgotten that part. I also thought it was odd when I watched it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Maybe they didn't get away with it? Maybe they were arrested like 2 days later or something.

Oh god this thread is talking about Looper again.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

I went ahead and finally watched Looper.

I get that in the future they have a hard time DISPOSING of bodies, but why wouldn't they just kill them in the future and just send a corpse to be buried in the past? The whole scene when Bruce Willis escapes in the future involves him getting shot at, so I guess they can kill if they need.

My interpretation was that CSI crime-scene poo poo had just gotten so advanced that it was prohibitively expensive to kill somebody and remove all possible evidence of it. :shrug:

If nothing else though, you could just seal off the time-travel chamber so they suffocate before you bother sending them back in time, yeah. Its pretty silly.

I mean the thing about Looper is the whole movie requires a time paradox.

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, his wife getting shot when killing people is supposed to be hard to get away with doesn't make much sense.

Plus, His motivation is to fix the timeline so his wife doesn't die. If he simply kills his younger self, his older self never meets him and never gets killed because of him. If he just kills himself he still got to experience being with her but saves her from dying. But no, that's not good enough for him.

When he killed the rainmaker though, what did he think was going to happen? According to the rules of the movie (where time paradoxes create a split, they don't resolve themselves) he'd be stuck in a split in the past with his wife still dead.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 00:10 on Feb 12, 2015

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
One of the major themes of Looper was how all the criminals actually sucked rear end at being criminals. They were all trained in a single role [Looper, Gat Man et cetera] and all of them loving sucked. The Looper couldn't do his job as soon as a dude was ready for him, the Gat Men couldn't actually shoot anyone who was trying to not be shot. Jeff Daniels is a loving dolt, and only has any kind of clout as a Crime Dude because OMG HE'S FROM THE FUTURE. They all suck balls at it. They have a time machine, and they use it for an incredibly convoluted corpse disposal system, and only one guy in the history of crime has the smarts to put some money aside and plan for his old age.

So, when they go to whack Bruce Willis, and the nice Asian Wife appears holding a thing that looks kind of like a gun, they panic and shoot her on instinct. Because they suck and are stupid. That's a recurring theme. Stupid dumb criminals.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It's a pretty common thing in movies to have a treasure map that's split into a bunch of pieces. Sometimes each piece has a code or something but its pretty common for it to be a normal map that got ripped in half.

Even when they know he general area and they have the bit with the x, everyone still acts like you need the whole map.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's a pretty common thing in movies to have a treasure map that's split into a bunch of pieces. Sometimes each piece has a code or something but its pretty common for it to be a normal map that got ripped in half.

Even when they know he general area and they have the bit with the x, everyone still acts like you need the whole map.

Each bit should have clues or modifying stuff like the other half of the amulet in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Or like in the Stephen King story/tv movie The Fifth Quarter.

I would imagine having only a bit of the map in The Goonies would also not be a good deal.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Disgusting Coward posted:

One of the major themes of Looper was how all the criminals actually sucked rear end at being criminals.

I will honestly sincerely accept this as the truth just because it makes the movie a little better (it desperately needs it).

IUG posted:

Maybe they didn't get away with it? Maybe they were arrested like 2 days later or something.

Oh god this thread is talking about Looper again.

I know it would have been cheap to just put it in a throwaway line, but at least mentioning this happening would make it more plausible. I guess I just don't have that much faith in the movie after some of the stuff it pulls later.

Looper is basically the equivalent of Dark Souls in the "PYF Thing Dragging This Game Down" thread: As soon as someone brings it up a single time, people will flock to post about it even if they've already done so in the past. It's just how fluid discussions on an internet forum work :shrug:

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 03:04 on Feb 12, 2015

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

CJacobs posted:

I will honestly sincerely accept this as the truth just because it makes the movie a little better (it desperately needs it).

I know it would have been cheap to just put it in a throwaway line, but at least mentioning this happening would make it more plausible. I guess I just don't have that much faith in the movie after some of the stuff it pulls later.

Looper is basically the equivalent of Dark Souls in the "PYF Thing Dragging This Game Down" thread: As soon as someone brings it up a single time, people will flock to post about it even if they've already done so in the past. It's just how fluid discussions on an internet forum work :shrug:

I'm sorry, but I really just watched it. :sadwave:

I even kind of liked the film.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Radicals posted:

Something that Pete Holmes pointed out that I love is that the cop gives him the date in maybe the weirdest order possible: "Twelfth. May. Thursday." Does anyone talk like that?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Even when people don't have guns pointed at them they stumble over days. My wife is really bad about this; it'll be Thursday and she'll either think it's Friday already or still Wednesday. Now he's got a gun pointed at him, he's flustered, and bits of what he thinks the guy wants are coming at him. Does the guy want the day of the month? Does he mean the day of the week?

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

syscall girl posted:

Each bit should have clues or modifying stuff like the other half of the amulet in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Or like in the Stephen King story/tv movie The Fifth Quarter.

I would imagine having only a bit of the map in The Goonies would also not be a good deal.

The back of the map in The Goonies has the music notes they have to play on the crazy bone-pipe organ.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

I'm sorry, but I really just watched it. :sadwave:

I even kind of liked the film.

I actually kinda like it too, even though its super flawed.

Oh man, I should read back and see what the thread thought of Interstellar :haw:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

syscall girl posted:

I can't think of what movie I saw it in now, but it was a normal map that got ripped in half during a fight.

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Something that Pete Holmes pointed out that I love is that the cop gives him the date in maybe the weirdest order possible: "Twelfth. May. Thursday." Does anyone talk like that?

Usually when you ask someone the date, you already know the month so the answer they give is just the number. This time the guy still has a gun in his face so he just keeps adding more information till Reese demands the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Morpheus posted:

Serious post: sometimes I go out and ask this just for fun.
I get completely naked, run up to someone on the streets of San Francisco and it usually goes like this:

Me: What year is it?
Them: What?
Me: What year is it?
Them: [current year] (haven't done it this year)
Me: Oh poo poo! I have to find Rebecca!
And I run off. I use it as an excuse for contact. Someone be my friend.

Elfface, they probably think I'm a crackhead instead of an extremely bored, underemployed person.

The North Tower has a new favorite as of 07:11 on Feb 12, 2015