Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Unzip and Attack posted:

Sorry, had to quote this.

drat phone posting :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Doakes posted:

Anyone seen this comic? http://www.amctv.com/shows/better-call-saul/client-development-comic, shows how Saul originally traced Walt back to his school.

"Never trust a guy named Jimmy." I love it.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

lifts cats over head posted:

I noticed a particular naming scheme for the episode names available so far: Uno, Mijo, Nacho, Hero, and Jello in that order. It could just be a pattern Gilligan liked but I wouldn't be surprised if it somehow had significance.

Following that naming scheme, I predict that the 6th episode will be titled Combo, reintroducing us to Combo and Skinny Pete.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'll send YOU to Belize!

Haha I almost forgot about that great exchange. I miss Walt.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Echoing the sentiments of the thread, that desert scene was fantastic. Jimmy is the best Lawyer ever.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

PassTheRemote posted:

Echoing the sentiments of the thread, that desert scene was fantastic. Jimmy is the best Lawyer ever.

The crunching of those guys legs was brutal. But he did manage to talk him down from murder to one broken leg each so you aren't wrong

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

The Duggler posted:

The crunching of those guys legs was brutal. But he did manage to talk him down from murder to one broken leg each so you aren't wrong
Not just murder, being loving skinned.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I'm surprised how many people I'm finding who don't catch some big things, like Chuck being a joint owner in the firm and having sensitivity to electromagnetism. I get it if you haven't heard of that specific phrase or that phenomenon, but when everyone is talking about his illness making him stay inside and then the wiring is pulled out in his house and he's asking everyone if they're grounded, I didn't think it would be particularly hard to put two and two together. Game of Thrones has given some pretty hilarious misunderstandings ('do Jon and Ramsay know they are brothers?'), I can't wait to see what bonkers predictions people come up with from here on out. I only caught BB discussion at the very end, where one goon honestly thought Walt was going to shoot up the highschool with a machine gun.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
I got the impression that he had something like cancer and believed that staying away from electricity would cure it hence the whole "I will get better" thing

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Cute n Popular posted:

I got the impression that he had something like cancer and believed that staying away from electricity would cure it hence the whole "I will get better" thing

This. I thought maybe the grounding and such was some weird idea he had about treatment of cancer or whatever. I didn't realize until reading this thread that his "disease" might be purely non-existent.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

I didn't realize until reading this thread that his "disease" might be purely non-existent.
Mental illness exists.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Ersatz posted:

Mental illness exists.

Thanks for the insight. What I meant was that some people, myself included, got the impression that his disease was a physical illness that might soon take his life, which would explain Jimmy's sudden insistence on cashing out. Turns out that impression is probably wrong and his illness is mental, rather than a physical ailment like cancer.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I wouldnt be surprised if Chuck has a physical illness that he thinks he can cure by staying away from electromagnetism. There has to be a reason why Saul starts wearing the blue ribbon after all.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

RandomPauI posted:

I wouldnt be surprised if Chuck has a physical illness that he thinks he can cure by staying away from electromagnetism.
In a shocking twist, it turns out all Walt had to do to beat lung cancer was stop paying the electric bill.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

I wouldnt be surprised if Chuck has a physical illness that he thinks he can cure by staying away from electromagnetism. There has to be a reason why Saul starts wearing the blue ribbon after all.

You mean the Wayfarer 515 ribbon...?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
That doesn't match up with his perceived extreme pain at being so near a cellphone, though. It's very clearly "electromagnetic hypersensitivity."

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cute n Popular posted:

There is no electricity in Chuck house, there is no fridge ("you should stop asking me for pork, i think there are worms in your cooler"), he wants Jimmy to translate his letter to some Finnish doctor working on electromagnetism effect on animals, he forces people to let their phone/watch outside, so it's pretty obvious he thinks he is sick because of electromagnetism.

quote:

When Jimmy/Saul walks by him drunk with his phone in his pocket, Chuck isn't having any problem. And when does Chuck starts to show physical problem? Just after he ask Saul if he was driving drunk, when he realizes that if Saul was so drunk he may have taken his phone in the house. Then suddenly he starts acting "sick". I think Chuck got a mental breakdown/big burnout (maybe related to Jimmy's past behavior?) but since he is clearly a successful lawyer and probably a workalcoholic (he built 1/3 of the company) with a serious work ethic, the "it's not me, it's a sickness" thing is probably his way to get out without facing whatever the problem was.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Here's a gif that I'm sure will be useful at some point:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Meatwave posted:

Maybe I should update my av at some point!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Meatwave posted:

Can I post this in the Walking dead thread?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
There are subtleties to BB and now this show but seriously Gilligan is not trying to get you to read between the lines for the plot or character traits, all that stuff has the subtlety of a hammer, come on people

His brother is mentally ill and it's in his head. And if it isn't, it will be made abundantly clear.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 11, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Even if you didn't figure out that he thinks he's got electromagnetichypersensitivity (I had never heard of it before myself), I think they strongly suggest that it's an imagined illness because he's at home with gas lights and a cooler full of ice. If he had an actual life-threatening sickness he'd be in a hospital or at least home with a bunch of medical equipment around the house.

I think by episode 2 with the cellphone in Jimmy's pocket they make it 100% clear that it's an imagined disease.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I'm pretty sure you're all arguing against something that nobody is even saying. It's just unclear whether it's 100% psychological and he's physically fine, or if he has some other physical condition that he is psychologically blaming on this imagined illness.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

thexerox123 posted:

I'm pretty sure you're all arguing against something that nobody is even saying.

I thought I was going crazy there for a second

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

thexerox123 posted:

I'm pretty sure you're all arguing against something that nobody is even saying. It's just unclear whether it's 100% psychological and he's physically fine, or if he has some other physical condition that he is psychologically blaming on this imagined illness.

I think we got that?

If he had cancer or some other "real" life-threatening illness, even if he was blaming it on something else he probably would've been showing symptoms and had some conspicuous medical equipment around the house, right?

Not that you have to have medical equipment around the house if you have cancer, but the writers probably would have put signs around to let us know that he had a real illness that he was blaming on an imaginary illness.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 11, 2015

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

I'm pretty sure you're all arguing against something that nobody is even saying.

Cute n Popular posted:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Just an aside on how "real" his mental illness is, the nocebo effect is a crazy thing. People can have real and potentially serious physical medical issues from a purely imagined issue. For instance, some people can have asthma attacks when told they're being exposed to an allergen, when they really aren't being exposed to anything. Even if it's "all in their head" and the environment is perfectly begin, they're still having a legit asthma attack and it's just as serious as a "real" one.

So basically, this guy could have actual serious symptoms when he thinks he's being exposed to electromagnetism. I'm not sure they'll go that route in this show 'cause it's weird and confusing, but I just thought I'd bring it up 'cause the nocebo effect is way more bizarre and insane than anything these people believe, but it happens to be real.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
He's gonna give himself a heart attack isn't he :(

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Eiba posted:

Just an aside on how "real" his mental illness is, the nocebo effect is a crazy thing. People can have real and potentially serious physical medical issues from a purely imagined issue. For instance, some people can have asthma attacks when told they're being exposed to an allergen, when they really aren't being exposed to anything. Even if it's "all in their head" and the environment is perfectly begin, they're still having a legit asthma attack and it's just as serious as a "real" one.

So basically, this guy could have actual serious symptoms when he thinks he's being exposed to electromagnetism. I'm not sure they'll go that route in this show 'cause it's weird and confusing, but I just thought I'd bring it up 'cause the nocebo effect is way more bizarre and insane than anything these people believe, but it happens to be real.

It's something that happens with electromagnetic sensitive people in real life since one of the symptoms is rashes. They can break out in rashes when they know there's electronics nearby. It might be similar to getting hives when you're stressed out, no idea.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 11, 2015

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
My coworker and I are trying to remember how Saul got suggested in Breaking Bad--we know (think) that Jesse suggested him because he represented one of his homies on a minor charge at some point. It's not Badger, although he does go on to represent Badger later, and I don't think it was Skinny Pete. We both remember it being some sort of snack food, so we're guessing it was Combo. Anyone else remember this?

Also, has it been confirmed that Chuck is Saul's brother, or was that just speculation? He seemed so much older I thought it was his dad. People call their parents by their first names sometimes, especially after they grow up.

Shortly after we met Saul in BB, I grew to like him and think everything about him, from his wit to his quick thinking to Odenkirk's acting chops to his attorney skills, was sorely underrated. When I heard about BCS, like most of you I groaned inwardly and lamented that they were trying to milk this dead horse for all it was worth. I should have known better. I have long been sold on Odenkirk's acting skills, but his expression of utter despair at walking away from the twins facing death nailed it for me. That, or the pathetic hopefulness he showed when Mr. Kettleman was reaching for his pen to sign the letter of intent. This guy is an insanely talented actor and I want to watch literally everything he's in.

Speaking of the Kettlemans, my first impression of the wife was that she was indeed more savvy than her husband, though she didn't want everyone to know about it. Kind of like when Skyler met with the IRS investigators and played the "uneducated bookkeeper" role. "I don't understand why you think we need a lawyer, tee hee" = "I know you're a shyster and I'm not going to let my doofus husband hire you."

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

"Electrosensitive" people also are moving to towns centered around radio telescopes, where electronics are banned. Which means that there's a comical combination in these towns of hardcore scientists and utter wackos.

It would be perfect for a sitcom.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Maggie Fletcher posted:

My coworker and I are trying to remember how Saul got suggested in Breaking Bad--we know (think) that Jesse suggested him because he represented one of his homies on a minor charge at some point. It's not Badger, although he does go on to represent Badger later, and I don't think it was Skinny Pete. We both remember it being some sort of snack food, so we're guessing it was Combo. Anyone else remember this?

Also, has it been confirmed that Chuck is Saul's brother, or was that just speculation? He seemed so much older I thought it was his dad. People call their parents by their first names sometimes, especially after they grow up.

Saul got Emilio (Jesse's old partner) off the hook multiple times. I think promotional material on the BCS site calls Chuck "The Brother", so yes, it has been confirmed.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Read the comic linked on this page to answer your first question, as it fills in the gaps.

Yes, Chuck is Saul's brother, as confirmed in preview and behind-the-scenes features.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

canoshiz posted:

Saul got Emilio (Jesse's old partner) off the hook multiple times. I think promotional material on the BCS site calls Chuck "The Brother", so yes, it has been confirmed.

THANK you! This has been bugging me. Not sure how I got Combo out of that--it's been awhile since I watched that part of the series.

Meatwave posted:

Read the comic linked on this page to answer your first question, as it fills in the gaps.

Yes, Chuck is Saul's brother, as confirmed in preview and behind-the-scenes features.

That comic was pretty awesome and the backstory was really interesting, but that was after Badger had already been represented by Saul. I was wondering how his name ever came up in the first place. Thanks!

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Meatwave posted:

The comic's set after Jesse's already pointed Walt at Saul, it starts after Saul's taken care of the situation with Badger.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Maggie Fletcher posted:

THANK you! This has been bugging me. Not sure how I got Combo out of that--it's been awhile since I watched that part of the series.

That comic was pretty awesome and the backstory was really interesting, but that was after Badger had already been represented by Saul. I was wondering how his name ever came up in the first place. Thanks!

Oh poo poo. Sorry man.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Silhouette posted:

Following that naming scheme, I predict that the 6th episode will be titled Combo, reintroducing us to Combo and Skinny Pete.

Nacho Combos.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Silhouette posted:

He'd be in high school at this point, not sure what purpose he'd really serve.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
What about the scene when Saul comes home drunk? His brother spoke in Mike's voice, lending credence to the idea that his disease is real. It's a pity, since it really muddles how Jimmy became Saul. If mental illness runs in his family, it would explain how his personality split into "Jimmy" and "Saul" components.

Also, did anyone else notice the ring on the girl in the bar montage? She clearly drugged Saul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Shbobdb posted:

What about the scene when Saul comes home drunk? His brother spoke in Mike's voice, lending credence to the idea that his disease is real.
... Huh?

• Locked thread