Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

935 posted:

How much money does Verizon, Comcast, Time Warner, et al stand to lose? And how much of a fuss will we hear about this from politicians proclaiming this literally the worst thing Obama has ever done?

Enough that they already have lawsuits primed and ready to fire. This is not over by a long shot, and of course the GOP congress is going to rail against this government prevention of local monopolies takeover of the internet. :freep:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

935 posted:

And how much of a fuss will we hear about this from politicians proclaiming this literally the worst thing Obama has ever done?

It's not actually quite so clear cut. It's not as much of a case of companies vs consumers, in which case we'd never head the end of how much this is stifling business growth and other horseshit. Content providers like Google, Netflix, Microsoft, etc. are all in favor of net neutrality. So there's big money on both sides of this one

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

935 posted:

How much money does Verizon, Comcast, Time Warner, et al stand to lose?

Well, none really except for the fact that "not making money" is the EXACT SAME as "losing money". In that typically expressed manner they are losing billions. It's an old mafia expression called "leaving money on the table"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Evil Fluffy posted:

I honestly did not expect the wireless part and I'm hoping that the telecomms didn't either.

What're the odds these proposed changes fail to pass? :ohdear:
The consensus is that Tom Wheeler would not have made this a big public thing if he didn't have the votes.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Are FCC decisions capable of being heard before the SCOTUS? Telecoms are clearly injured by Bolshevik Tom Wheeler.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Nonsense posted:

Are FCC decisions capable of being heard before the SCOTUS? Telecoms are clearly injured by Bolshevik Tom Wheeler.

Yep, that's why we're on this long and lonely road in the first place.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
One of the arguments (I think it was from Verizon?) was that this move will be shot down by courts because the FCC already classified them as whatever the hell they are currently, and that the FCC can't go and change that because... something. I'm not sure what about the FCC's powers makes them think that would hold up as a valid argument but I'm sure they'll have dozens of claims as to why the FCC isn't allowed to reclassify them regardless of any authority the FCC has from Congress.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe I'm just cynical, but I figure the telecoms agreed to this with the promise that the GOP will use legislation to subtly gut it.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

They already are - they're attempting to remove the FCC's ability to reclassify utilities.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Republican resistance can largely be put into two categories:

1. Regulations oh no!
2. Corporations paid me to hate this.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jealous Cow posted:

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I figure the telecoms agreed to this with the promise that the GOP will use legislation to subtly gut it.

Something tells me if this came at the executive branch's behest that it's going to be in place for at least two more years. Especially with the recent rise of :troll:bama.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

RuanGacho posted:

Republican resistance can largely be put into two categories:

1. Regulations oh no!
2. Corporations paid me to hate this.

3. It's OK if government is big if we're in power.

(Thinking of resistance on war powers and surveillance reform.)

Jealous Cow posted:

Being cynical about anything telecom-related is good, given the amount of :10bux: that gets thrown around that sector, but I agree with Chokes McGee that this probably won't happen as long as Obama is head honcho.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah, the GOP trying to gut the FCC's authority is not going anywhere while Obama is in office.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Nonsense posted:

I read an article today or yesterday that said that Scalia wrote in an opinion that it made no sense that the FCC didn't already classify them as utilities, so I think we have good odds here.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Nonsense posted:

I'll be absolutely shocked if the big telecoms don't have their lawsuits against the FCC filed before close of business on the 26th.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/republicans-probe-white-house-inappropriate-influence-over-fccs-net-neutrality-proposal-1201428902/

quote:

Republicans Probe White House’s ‘Inappropriate’ Influence Over FCC’s Net Neutrality Proposal

Leaders of House and Senate oversight committees are calling on the FCC to turn over communications they had with White House officials over chairman Tom Wheeler’s net neutrality proposal, in a query that focuses on whether the administration “inappropriately influenced” the agency.

Jesus loving christ.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

It's loving outrageous that presidential appointees agree with the President. HOW DARE THEY!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Wait, I was completely wrong and the FCC's not part of the Executive. I learned something!

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 10, 2015

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

'We get all butt hurt when other people are improperly influenced but when we receive millions in kickbacks by corporate lobbyists its kickin rad democracy".

What a joke.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Apparently the president doesn't get to have an opinion on anything anymore

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
So how much of the GOP's opposition to net neutrality due to spite of Obama, rather than being one of their actual policy objectives? If, hypothetically, we get a Republican in the white house are they just going to drop the issue since Obama's gone, or would they actually turn around and gut the FCC?

I mean yeah Republicans are dumb, gently caress you More Money for Us, etc. But what would they actually have to gain from it? Even in the business world NN seems to be fairly popular.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ANIME AKBAR posted:

So how much of the GOP's opposition to net neutrality due to spite of Obama, rather than being one of their actual policy objectives? If, hypothetically, we get a Republican in the white house are they just going to drop the issue since Obama's gone, or would they actually turn around and gut the FCC?

I mean yeah Republicans are dumb, gently caress you More Money for Us, etc. But what would they actually have to gain from it? Even in the business world NN seems to be fairly popular.

There's a 50% change that if Obama mentioned how much he likes coffee the House would start an investigation of the horrendous caffeine drug menace by the following Tuesday.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Gyges posted:

There's a 50% change that if Obama mentioned how much he likes coffee the House would start an investigation of the horrendous caffeine drug menace by the following Tuesday.

Maybe we can get a repeat of a minor event during the Civil War when The South didn't have coffee and desperately looked for substitutes.

IIRC coffee is easily one of the top 10 most traded things.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Of course the bar for "inappropriate influence" by the WH would be far lower than the one set for lobbyists and corporate donors which theoretically exists but is likely to be so high as to be outside the range of current telescope technology.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FAUXTON posted:

Of course the bar for "inappropriate influence" by the WH would be far lower than the one set for lobbyists and corporate donors which theoretically exists but is likely to be so high as to be outside the range of current telescope technology.

It's only inappropriate if while offering truck loads of cash to Party B, Party A states openly in front of both a notary and a camera that this is a bribe. Of course Party B must also openly and loudly accept the bribe in no uncertain terms in front of the same notary and camera. Otherwise that's just speech in the form of dead presidents.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

ANIME AKBAR posted:

actually turn around and gut the FCC?
They would do this. Just like the EPA, FDA, BBG, and every other public safety/infrastructure system. The only use they have for them is to engineer legalisms that give protected handouts to their masters.

It only took Cheney a few years to work ~magic~ on basic drinkable water in the space age.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/epa-criticized-for-weak-oversight-of-drillers-toxic-waste-disposal-wells/

quote:

EPA Criticized for Weak Oversight of Drillers' Toxic-Waste Disposal Wells

A Government Accountability Office report says environmental regulators are failing to adequately enforce rules for wells used to dispose of toxic waste from oil and gas drilling
http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2012/12/epa-water-aquifer-drilling-fracking-waste

quote:

Federal officials have given energy and mining companies permission to pollute aquifers in more than 1,500 places across the country, releasing toxic material into underground reservoirs that help supply more than half of the nation's drinking water.
http://www.earthworksaction.org/media/detail/epa_confirms_drinking_water_contamination_by_toxics_used_in_hydraulic_fract

quote:

This week U.S. Environmental Protection Agency told a group of over 70 that initial investigations found 11 of 39 tested drinking water wells were contaminated. Among the contaminants are toxics used in oil and gas production.

They not only made oil-poisoners happy, but lovely leeches like Nestle too.

http://www.salon.com/2014/07/14/nestle_is_bottling_water_straight_from_the_heart_of_californias_drought/

quote:

As residents of California are urged to conserve water and the state considers placing a mandatory restriction on outdoor water usage, Nestlé is trucking away undisclosed amounts of the precious resource in the form of bottled water.

They wont do anything better for the internet than they did for an actual life-necessity.

Basically this.

ANIME AKBAR posted:

gently caress you More Money for Us

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm depressed

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

bef posted:

i'm depressed

Then whatever your do, stay out to of the uspol thread. It'll make you suicidal.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hangedman1984 posted:

Then whatever your do, stay out to of the uspol thread. It'll make you suicidal.

Currently it's loving hilarious off-the-charts gaydar readings regarding Rep. Aaron Schock (R-Downton) and his personal photographer who goes everywhere with the congressman. Congressman and photographer in question are the two gents on the right:

There's also a lot of :smith: about how hellish it must be to have to be closeted in a party that actively believes you are subhuman lest you come out and have them ruin your career/life.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Currently it's loving hilarious off-the-charts gaydar readings regarding Rep. Aaron Schock (R-Downton) and his personal photographer who goes everywhere with the congressman. Congressman and photographer in question are the two gents on the right:

There's also a lot of :smith: about how hellish it must be to have to be closeted in a party that actively believes you are subhuman lest you come out and have them ruin your career/life.

I find republican politics absolutely abhorrent, but they DO make a cute couple.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hangedman1984 posted:

I find republican politics absolutely abhorrent, but they DO make a cute couple.

They'd be a cuter couple if they weren't living a torturous lie, that's for sure.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

FAUXTON posted:

Who the gently caress wears a tie with jeans? What is wrong with this person?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Who the gently caress wears a tie with jeans? What is wrong with this person?

I don't know, he kind of makes it work.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

I like how the FCC decides on taking literally the best possible path for consumers and goons react by making predictions on how it's all going to fall apart and that corporations will reverse all of it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

VerdantSquire posted:

I like how the FCC decides on taking literally the best possible path for consumers and goons react by making predictions on how it's all going to fall apart and that corporations will reverse all of it.

Yeah how dare goons not trust the government not to cave to organized corporate force regarding regulatory oversight.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I like how people pretend there's only organized corporate force on one side of the "argument".

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

I honestly would not be shocked if a majority of gay people vote R in 20 years. The idea they are a reliable demo for dems is solidly rooted in the republicans quickly dying homophobia.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

tsa posted:

I honestly would not be shocked if a majority of gay people vote R in 20 years. The idea they are a reliable demo for dems is solidly rooted in the republicans quickly dying homophobia.

The only moral abortion gay relationship is my abortion gay relationship. :colbert:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

tsa posted:

OK this is funny as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

OK this is funny as poo poo.

Yea I'm sure a bunch of rich white people will be perfectly fine with paying lots of taxes.

Mystic_Shadow posted:

The only moral abortion gay relationship is my abortion gay relationship. :colbert:

I laughed, thanks friend :)

• Locked thread