Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Chuch posted:

According to that calculator, if you have 11k in retirement savings you have more than 50% of 55 year-olds.

We are well and truly hosed.

I'm 26.

I have more in retirement savings than 90% of my age group, according to that calculator. I'm afraid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I have more retirement savings than 70% of all American households at 24

I feel a lot better about the vacation I'm taking this summer now, but a lot worse about the burgeoning number of retirees

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Before you poo poo too much on people without savings, I'm 33 and have zero because I've instead spent over 70k paying off 6.8% student loans the last 6 years. It's arguable which way is better.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

mastershakeman posted:

Before you poo poo too much on people without savings, I'm 33 and have zero because I've instead spent over 70k paying off 6.8% student loans the last 6 years. It's arguable which way is better.

I periodically have the debate with myself whether I would have been better off taking student loans and starting my career three years earlier vs no student loans and doing part time school/full time work which is what I did.

I also would have entered the job market during a really lovely time, probably not have met my wife, and all other kinds of things.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

mastershakeman posted:

Alternatively, focused on buying a home. Depending on tax breaks and local mortgage interest rates, it may or may not be bad with money to focus on saving up for the down payment for a home instead of saving for retirement and then having to borrow for the home.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Renegret posted:

I'm 26.

I have more in retirement savings than 90% of my age group, according to that calculator. I'm afraid.

34, and more than 95% of my age group. And I freak out that I didn't start early enough sometimes. $20k would put you above 75% of that age group. Wow.

mastershakeman posted:

I'm not trying to poo poo on anyone about it, it's just sad to see. At least people in their 20s and 30s have time to right the ship. People in their late 50s and 60s are just kinda hosed at this point.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

SlapActionJackson posted:

Considering 4% is considered to be the "safe withdrawal rate" for retirement funds, you'd better aim for more than 8x your salary. 25x would give you complete income replacement, though that is probably overkill for most people. 8x only replaces about 1/3 of your salary in retirement so you'd be depending pretty heavily on social security and still taking a lifestyle cut.

The idea that many of these people have is that you buy your house while working, fully paid off mortgage when you retire. That is one of or the largest expense that most people pay, so the necessary outflow of money should stop at retirement as well.

In theory.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

mastershakeman posted:

This is true of me, but I'm top 10% based on 401k matches alone.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

I've ended up doing both - funding my 401(k) to 5% to get my employer's max match and maxing out a Roth IRA, then throwing everything else at the student loan. As a result, at 30 years old I've got about $100K in retirement savings, $10K as an emergency fund, and about $5K remaining on $89K worth of student loans.

Admittedly, the loan paid for an engineering degree and I'm in a low cost of living area.

I've been tempted to just take half of the emergency fund and just finish off the loan but it's only at 2.75% and I really don't want to touch the emergency fund. I recognize that as a DoD civilian (GS-13-04 federal employee) I have a more stable job than many, but the furloughs and shutdowns of 2013 still scared the hell out of me. I did fine, but there were plenty of people around my rank that were really struggling with the 10% furlough pay reduction for a few months, let alone the missed shutdown pay (that we eventually got anyway). Our credit union was actually offering shutdown loans.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

I've ended up doing both - funding my 401(k) to 5% to get my employer's max match and maxing out a Roth IRA, then throwing everything else at the student loan. As a result, at 30 years old I've got about $100K in retirement savings, $10K as an emergency fund, and about $5K remaining on $89K worth of student loans.

Admittedly, the loan paid for an engineering degree and I'm in a low cost of living area.

I've been tempted to just take half of the emergency fund and just finish off the loan but it's only at 2.75% and I really don't want to touch the emergency fund. I recognize that as a DoD civilian (GS-13-04 federal employee) I have a more stable job than many, but the furloughs and shutdowns of 2013 still scared the hell out of me. I did fine, but there were plenty of people around my rank that were really struggling with the 10% furlough pay reduction for a few months, let alone the missed shutdown pay (that we eventually got anyway). Our credit union was actually offering shutdown loans.

This actually IS my strategy at present, but mostly because I'd like to have 20% towards a house at some point in the future and if I don't start that ball rolling in my 20s it'll take forever.

So it's match 401k, max out HSA, maxing Roth IRA until home savings + Roth IRA are enough to cover a down payment, then I've got a pretty slick formula to split all additional income between loans and down payment savings based on mortgage realities (depending on debt to income ratio, income ratio and down payment amounts). I wish every facet would be moving faster, but it'd be absurd to say it's not moving fast. I also have to maintain the emergency fund pretty strongly because I'm a fed contractor and stuff like the shutdown really wrenches things here and there. Flip side is that it spooked off so many people that it probably created a higher demand for those left behind, at least in the tiny slice of my job market.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What's a 401k match (says my employer, a 300 person law firm) :v:

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
It's me, I was bad with money.

In 2008 I left the Marine Corps after five years with zero debt and about 25k in my IRA. I got admitted to the University of Illinois and thanks to being a veteran got tuition paid for by the state, and a $1500 monthly stipend from the GI Bill.

In 2012 when I graduated with a BS in aerospace engineering, I had 22k in completely unnecessary student loans (spent on really nice housing, food and booze, some travel, and a not insignificant amount of consumer electronics). Plus another 10k in credit card debt (thankfully at only 6.25%). At least I paid off my car (with student loan money) :v:

Then I got commissioned in the Marines but had to wait almost a year before going back on active duty as an officer. But hey, USAA will cut me a 25k commissioning loan at only 3%! That'll let me maintain my lavish lifestyle!

I've been back on active duty for 18 months now and I'm still digging myself out; I basically continued buying stupid poo poo, overspending on restaurants and booze throughout my first year because WOOOOO I'M EMPLOYED AGAIN! Credit card debt is gone, 29k left on the loans. I had a ton of fun in college but I don't think I had THAT much fun.

Meanwhile my girlfriend is debt-free and doesn't know what to do with all her salary, while she gets to listen to me talk about how I'm still trying to unfuck my dumbness. It's not a point of contention in the relationship (we earn roughly equal salaries) but it does serve to remind me of how stupid I was.

------

Slightly-less-bad-with-money was my roommate last year in Florida (another new officer), who bought a new Harley while still owing on his F-250 truck (that he was dissatisfied with and wanted to replace too).

"It's a 7-year loan, but it's only $180 a month!"

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

overdesigned posted:

"It's a 7-year loan!"

:psyduck:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It looks like I'm 70% overall, but 74% for my age. I was at the 9th percentile until I realized I'm supposed to include the value of my bank-owned house and cars in my assets. Boy, was that a welcome change!

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
A guy I know actually got something good out of his 7 year Harley loan. There was a warranty tied into it so when he hit 50-60k miles and the engine fell apart, he got a free rebuild.

Nobody else I know racked up that kind of mileage though. Not among the Harley crowd, anyway.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I'm the 94th for age 25 and 56th percentile for age 60. :stare:

GodDAMN America

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

If they had that calculator broken down by race, it'd be much more illuminating.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Aliquid posted:

If they had that calculator broken down by race, it'd be much more illuminating.

gently caress.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Jesus I have 38,000 in my 401k at 28. 97th percentile. My previous job had a stupid good match.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Chuch posted:

According to that calculator, if you have 11k in retirement savings you have more than 50% of 55 year-olds.

We are well and truly hosed.

My 401k just hit that with my employer match 10 days ago. And I'm 33.

I now feel slightly better.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Aliquid posted:

Yep. I remember reading a study in college about home ownership among different races and ethnicities in the US.
One of the big factors to rates of home ownership is the presence of inherited wealth. If you're white, you're way more likely to inherit some wealth. If you inherit some wealth, you're more likely to own your own home.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Dessert Rose posted:

What makes you think it isn't one now?

Metal polish isn't sold in the cosmetics aisle yet.

That's about it, come to think about it.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

overdesigned posted:

"It's a 7-year loan, but it's only $180 a month!"

I'm considering a 12 year auto loan. But there is a method behind my madness. Maybe.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Comrade Flynn posted:

I'm considering a 12 year auto loan. But there is a method behind my madness. Maybe.

I'm pretty sure that there's no chance that it's a good idea with an interest rate that is non-zero.

Additionally, with a zero percent interest rate the chances of it being a good idea are extraordinarily slim. Why are you considering that?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Wickerman posted:

I'm pretty sure that there's no chance that it's a good idea with an interest rate that is non-zero.

Additionally, with a zero percent interest rate the chances of it being a good idea are extraordinarily slim. Why are you considering that?

Buying one for an investment. I will probably only hold on to it for 12-18 months, so I don't see why I shouldn't keep my payments as low as possible unless I'm missing something. I've made a profit on 15 out of 16 cars.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Comrade Flynn posted:

Buying one for an investment. I will probably only hold on to it for 12-18 months, so I don't see why I shouldn't keep my payments as low as possible unless I'm missing something. I've made a profit on 15 out of 16 cars.

I never thought I'd see truck equity in the wild.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
If you're going to profit for sure anyway(???), why would you waste money on any interest at all and not just pay as much as you can? Won't any payments towards the principal come right back to you when you sell it? Do you get 0% interest for some length of time or something? If you're thin enough that the difference in payments isn't coming out of a savings category anyway, or you think that difference would profit more invested in something else, why are you doing it? I guess if you really need a truck for 12 months, pay 0% interest, AND can guarantee a return, there could possibly be some local maximum there but I doubt it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 11, 2015

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
That's not investing, that is speculating.
If you bought a tow truck and rented it out/drove it yourself to earn a return, that is an investment.
If you are buying a car with the expectation that it will appreciate in value (:lol:), that is making a guess on the collector's market for that car in the future.

That's not much different from taking out a loan to buy baseball cards

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

canyoneer posted:

That's not investing, that is speculating.
If you bought a tow truck and rented it out/drove it yourself to earn a return, that is an investment.
If you are buying a car with the expectation that it will appreciate in value (:lol:), that is making a guess on the collector's market for that car in the future.

That's not much different from taking out a loan to buy baseball cards

If a guy successfully and intentionally arbitraged baseball cards 15/16 times (and didn't lose everything he made in the 16th attempt) I'd at least listen to what he had to say. I doubt it's a good idea still but if the track record he cited is accurate, I don't see what grounds you have for not hearing him out.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

cowofwar posted:

Even without debt and a kid on the way I don't see how you can make a household work on $30k/yr.

A family of 3 on $30k/year can be done. I should know :(

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

If a guy successfully and intentionally arbitraged baseball cards 15/16 times (and didn't lose everything he made in the 16th attempt) I'd at least listen to what he had to say. I doubt it's a good idea still but if the track record he cited is accurate, I don't see what grounds you have for not hearing him out.

I can see why this sounds a bit insane. Let me clarify a few things.

My 401k is maxed out. I own my own home. I have zero debt. I have a bunch of other investments. I have several years of cash in savings.

I'm trying to do something fun as another investment and it's something I've done well in the past. I can afford to pay for this cash but it would be a significant chunk. I'm actually curious if my plan is to only own it for a short time, is a 12 year loan a bad idea? If it is I can get a traditional one or, like I said, pay in cash but I'd prefer not to do that given the amount.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

You're going to buy one of those Scat pack dodges thinking they'll increase in value, aren't you? I tried that with a charger daytona. I lost $1/mi.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Taco Box posted:

You're going to buy one of those Scat pack dodges thinking they'll increase in value, aren't you? I tried that with a charger daytona. I lost $1/mi.

Haha, no. It's actually a Lamborghini.

If you look at what the prices of the Countaches (+300% in 5 years) and Diablos (+100% in 2 years) have done, I'd guess the last of the Murcielago 6-speeds will eventually do the same. Literally the last V-12 manual Lamborghini ever made and there's only 40 of them. I figure worst case it loses 10% of value over 2 years, best case it goes up 50%.

Comrade Flynn fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 11, 2015

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

melon cat posted:

The most appalling part is that many of these working retirees had pretty decent incomes and benefits back in their full-time employment days. But instead of saving their money, they opted to buy cottages, expensive bi-annual vacations, the vacation home in Florida and a sweet new Jeep. They figured that the equity in their home would be their retirement fund. Somehow.
Or you can do what my mom did and buy none of that fancy stuff, but still rely on her house being her retirement fund. Then having to go bankrupt when 2008 hit. :cripes:

God help the ones that have kids that won't/are unable to help out.

But enough about that. Not getting health insurance is bad with money:

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2vjg0x/with_4_days_left_to_enroll_this_year_can_someone/ posted:

So, I've checked healthcare.gov and the other 'get covered' sites, and the absolute cheapest healthcare plans I've found are between $175-200/month.

The coverage they offer is absolute poo poo; $6,000 deductibles and no other benefits offered before you rack up $6,000 in costs. So, if $200/month = $2,400/year, and I'd need to spend $6,000 before they even started paying out, it would mean I would need to spend a grand total (minimum) of $8,400/year on healthcare in order for this plan to be 'worth it'.

My other option is to just take the tax hit next tax season, which amounts to $550ish. ($550 < $8,400)

My average healthcare costs so far for the last 30 years are exactly $0. I have NEVER gone to a doctor, or needed to. I literally have zero medical history, save whatever my parents incurred when I was born.

Is there another option I'm missing here? I'd be ok with paying $100-150/month for "oh poo poo I broke a leg and need $20,000 worth of surgery" coverage, but I can't seem to find what most people refer to as "catastrophic-only" coverage.
I make enough that I don't qualify for any assistance, even after accounting for AGI. I pay my bills and have some financial leeway, but an additional $200+/month for what seems to amount to "nothing" seems like an unnecessary expense, in my mind.

Note: x-post from /r/askreddit to /r/personalfinance as I figured it might also be of some assistance to others in a similar position, and the 2015 coverage deadline is fast approaching. Thanks in advance, Reddit. Also: Gold to the person with the best answer before end-of-business-day, CST

Update: Some of you think I'm trolling here. Let me be clear: this was a legitimate question about finding inexpensive health insurance, or other options. It's not an anti-ACA dig, it's not about my personal health choices, and it's not even technically about how I spend my money. Those of you who correctly read the question got upvoted, and nice replies. To those who got a sarcastic response, it's because you didn't adequately reply to what was really being asked.
Has this dude looked at how much healthcare tends to cost for people with no insurance? Because it's a hell of a lot more than $8400 if anything goes wrong. Doubly so if you're the type who never goes to the doctor, since you're probably waiting until things are both more serious and more expensive to fix before getting them looked at.

It may not be "worth it" if nothing happens, especially since he doesn't get any preventative care at all, but the whole point of insurance is making sure you're not up poo poo creek if something does happen!

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 11, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I'm confused. Why is there a tax hit if you don't have health care? I should think if you can't afford health care, you can't really swing tax bills either. Who thought that was a good idea? Or am I missing something?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Taco Box posted:

I'm confused. Why is there a tax hit if you don't have health care? I should think if you can't afford health care, you can't really swing tax bills either. Who thought that was a good idea? Or am I missing something?

Did you miss the entirety of the ACA being passed?

There's a mandate, but if you are deemed to not make enough money to pay for even subsidized insurance, you don't get taxed for not having insurance.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Taco Box posted:

The "tax hit" only comes out of your refund, if you're getting one. Or you could pay it yourself out of the goodness of your heart, but...

https://www.healthcare.gov/fees-exemptions/fee-for-not-being-covered/ posted:

What happens if I don't pay the fee?

The IRS will hold back the amount of the fee from any future tax refunds. There are no liens, levies, or criminal penalties for failing to pay the fee.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

I never realized how quickly cars do depreciate in value until I bought one.

It's a 2010 that I bought in late 2013.

I'm way above water on the loan, so it's not like that, but it is slightly tempting to sell it and buy a $6k used car instead.

But I do loooove my car and plan on driving it for a very long time. Hopefully long enough that I will have the cash saved up for the next one by the time it croaks.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

I'm paying $232/month out of pocket for private health insurance because it's the only thing that will cover the jaw surgery that I need. Still a $6300 deductible, but hey it's HSA compatible :cry:

Or I guess I could just travel to India to get the surgery done.

onemillionzombies fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Thesaurus posted:

A family of 3 4 on $30k/year can be done. I should know :(

:kiddo::respek::kiddo:

• Locked thread