Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

RipDouglas posted:

You could let people sign up in their own pre-made teams and also have a separate area for people trying to form teams/free agents to help them get more teams going. I'd say low chance of this playing out at all with random or some sort of skill averaging drafted teams.

Well it wouldn't be random, captains would choose teams draft-style. You could choose to pick players you get along with/play well with as captain. I'm 100% sure if we choose our own teams there will be 1-2 teams max that actually have any chance at winning, and they'd stomp every other team then just play each other to see who wins. I'm not sure that's very interesting/good/fun. I'd contribute to a "prize pool" as well as long as it isn't superteam vs. all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deetee
Apr 22, 2008

mcvey posted:

Let's make our own teams so we can once and for all prove that Team Canada would utterly dominate you fools.

I am Canadian as well, which other goons are from Canadaland?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

RipDouglas posted:

You could let people sign up in their own pre-made teams and also have a separate area for people trying to form teams/free agents to help them get more teams going. I'd say low chance of this playing out at all with random or some sort of skill averaging drafted teams.

lol let me bring my cevo team for goon tournament!

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

real dilemma posted:

Well it wouldn't be random, captains would choose teams draft-style. You could choose to pick players you get along with/play well with as captain. I'm 100% sure if we choose our own teams there will be 1-2 teams max that actually have any chance at winning, and they'd stomp every other team then just play each other to see who wins. I'm not sure that's very interesting/good/fun. I'd contribute to a "prize pool" as well as long as it isn't superteam vs. all.

This.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

deetee posted:

daeno, manatee, minineo

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

That old icon though~

RipDouglas
Oct 18, 2014

My tournament team has a very flexible schedule and is available to dumpster the rest of you for our free skins pretty much anytime.

real dilemma posted:

Cause that works in goonmans.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

lol let me bring my cevo team for goon tournament!

nice ninja edit, original was better imo

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

RipDouglas posted:

Cause that works in goonmans.

Do you think that "Doug chooses 4 players, then the leftovers join the other team" would provide a more enjoyable experience?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

deetee posted:

All the good ones.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

real dilemma posted:

Do you think that "Doug chooses 4 players, then the leftovers join the other team" would provide a more enjoyable experience?

Reminder that Douglas is a j4g(can't believe I am j4g shaming in 2015) and also a childe

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

How is j4g still an existing phenomenon jesus christ

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

True and Real posted:

How is j4g still an existing phenomenon jesus christ

dont j4g shame please

Burgo
Jun 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxo4EoPeJL0

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
whoever put the "weed" in D200 is an idiot for not putting it in D(ank)420 instead.

Also should we move this discussion to a thread in the private games server subforum eventually?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
systane is no longer allowed to edit his own row because of setting the row height to "666". Systane will now have to contact me or the spreadsheet owner to edit his cells :D

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

henne posted:

whoever put the "weed" in D200 is an idiot for not putting it in D(ank)420 instead.

Also should we move this discussion to a thread in the private games server subforum eventually?

Should I pop it into the sub.io post, or its own thread?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i am glad to see my friend the goatman appearing briefly in the spreadsheet

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Kwilty posted:

Its own would make more sense unless you want future people looking for questions already answered about sub.io in its own thread to go through a bunch of tournament posts.

systane
Dec 15, 2008

Beach Bum posted:

systane is no longer allowed to edit his own row because of setting the row height to "666". Systane will now have to contact me or the spreadsheet owner to edit his cells :D

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Christ, you know there's such a things as forms so travesties like this spreadsheet doesn't happen?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

IronDoge posted:

Christ, you know there's such a things as forms so travesties like this spreadsheet doesn't happen?

Forms just provide an intellectual exercise on how to break the sheet.

RipDouglas
Oct 18, 2014

My tournament team has a very flexible schedule and is available to dumpster the rest of you for our free skins pretty much anytime.

real dilemma posted:

No, I think there are a lot of different sub sets of people who like playing together within this group of people, and that letting them make teams with the people they enjoy playing with most creates a more invested attitude (for example the AutNIP team beach called, fairly balanced and a bunch of friends, who are 100% going to show up to play because of it). One person getting picked to a team they don't like pretty much ruins it for the whole team when they decide to ditch.

RipDouglas fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 11, 2015

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

RipDouglas posted:

No, I think there are a lot of different sub sets of people who like playing together within this group of people, and that letting them make teams with the people they enjoy playing with most creates a more invested attitude (for example the AutNIP team beach called, fairly balanced and a bunch of friends). One person getting picked to a team they don't like pretty much ruins it for the whole team when they decide to ditch.

I agree with this. If I want to play with 4 random people I will just solo queue.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx

Kwilty posted:

I'd make a new thread, something along the lines of [sub.io] Winter Community Tournament and make a google form instead of the spreadsheet. I guess it makes it so that non-goon players can't view the thread but I think it'll prevent taking over this thread. IDK.

RipDouglas posted:

No, I think there are a lot of different sub sets of people who like playing together within this group of people, and that letting them make teams with the people they enjoy playing with most creates a more invested attitude (for example the AutNIP team beach called, fairly balanced and a bunch of friends, who are 100% going to show up to play because of it). One person getting picked to a team they don't like pretty much ruins it for the whole team when they decide to ditch.

I'd agree, but where does this leave the non-regulars who don't know eachother and won't be able to throw a team together on their own? I think this population includes a hefty portion of the lower ranked players, are there going to be teams of silvers and novas who band together because they didn't get picked by the regulars who want to play with other regulars? IDK just thoughts.

henne fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 11, 2015

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

I put together a Thread for the Tournament

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3700301

RipDouglas
Oct 18, 2014

henne posted:

I'd agree, but where does this leave the non-regulars who don't know eachother and won't be able to throw a team together on their own? I think this population includes a hefty portion of the lower ranked players, are there going to be teams of silvers and novas who band together because they didn't get picked by the regulars who want to play with other regulars? IDK just thoughts.

Like I said before, a separate area for people or groups of people looking to form a team. Likely recognize names they played with and which ones they liked. Neither are a perfect system and I agree 1 or 2 super stacked teams would ruin it. But goonmans being goonmans, I'm sure there would be some upsets :P

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Yeah I think it'd work. I'd be cool if the >badge players spread out a bit (ie you don't play with your whole cevo team) but I'd be into prearranged teams.

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

RipDouglas posted:

Like I said before, a separate area for people or groups of people looking to form a team. Likely recognize names they played with and which ones they liked. Neither are a perfect system and I agree 1 or 2 super stacked teams would ruin it. But goonmans being goonmans, I'm sure there would be some upsets :P

Here's a possible compromise: have pre-made teams, but don't make winning the tournament the only goal. Also give out skins for poo poo like funniest moment, best vibes, most molly kills, most deagle 360s, most ninja defuses, etc, so that the lower-skill teams have something to go for other than trying to beat the nutty 5 stack.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

aborn posted:

Here's a possible compromise: have pre-made teams, but don't make winning the tournament the only goal. Also give out skins for poo poo like funniest moment, best vibes, most molly kills, most deagle 360s, most ninja defuses, etc, so that the lower-skill teams have something to go for other than trying to beat the nutty 5 stack.

It would actually be "so the 5 stack has something to do while dominating the lower-skill team"

RipDouglas
Oct 18, 2014

henne posted:

Yeah I think it'd work. I'd be cool if the >badge players spread out a bit (ie you don't play with your whole cevo team) but I'd be into prearranged teams.

Completely agree, and was not my intention to have a stacked team. Pazuu first pick for life. But I appreciate everyone's kind words in retaliation for hoping this actually works out and is fun.

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

kaschei posted:

It would actually be "so the 5 stack has something to do while dominating the lower-skill team"

As long as it's funny, I don't give a poo poo. Still better than a straight up tryhard tourney with dozens of mediocre players in my view.

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

I changed the spreadsheet over to a form for anyone that hasn't signed up https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Wrw9Cm2HIS6WqqoN1AuiunaaudO12UVkVs-bXVr1m3o/viewform?usp=send_form

If you already signed up I already got you moved over to the new form so please don't reapply.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Cool. We should probably move the discussion to the tourny thread tho?

The results of the spreadsheet gonna be visible at some point for team picking?

henne fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 11, 2015

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

Concur, just updating in case someone is late to the party

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
There's no way you're going to get an even tournament with a diverse skill group unless you do a captain picking system.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I just got a Glock 18 Brass drop as a mission reward. It's worth about $2.50 on the market and is by far the most expensive drop I've ever gotten. It looks like it was worth about $20 at one point but has been steadily dropping for the past nine months. I prefer my other glock skin, so should I just sell it now? I can't imagine why the price would ever go up, but I don't understand the steam market.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Lester Shy posted:

I just got a Glock 18 Brass drop as a mission reward. It's worth about $2.50 on the market and is by far the most expensive drop I've ever gotten. It looks like it was worth about $20 at one point but has been steadily dropping for the past nine months. I prefer my other glock skin, so should I just sell it now? I can't imagine why the price would ever go up, but I don't understand the steam market.

Use it for gambling.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

aborn posted:

This was attempted last time and it was too much work that no one wanted to do and no one ended up caring in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Lester Shy posted:

Sell it. The market fluctuates a bit, so price it somewhere a little below the peaks it's been selling for in the past few weeks. Unless you like need your steambux now or something and don't mind missing out on some extra steamcents. It seems to me like the prices for skins that have some demand rise slightly across the board when there is a lot of interest in the game though, like when there is a major like Katowice or a new Operation. Granted it'll probably be just be a few more pennies for a glock brass.

• Locked thread