Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I have a degree in chemical engineering. My internship consisted of working in a plant that could produce millions of gallons of oleum per day. I do not currently work in my field because of my cowardice with working with that kind of absolutely terrifying poo poo.

Reminds me of this unsettling prep (PDF) for at-home synthesis of SO3. Why would someone want to make this at home, you say?

quote:

Sulfur trioxide and oleum are exceptionally versatile reagents in the laboratory. Some of the most important uses shall be mentioned here:

With methanol or dimethyl ether, the powerful methylating agent dimethyl sulfate is formed. It is isolated by fractional distillation in vacuum. Diethyl sulfate is prepared analogously, by distilling SO3 into dry diethyl ether, distilling away the ether and distilling the diethyl sulfate over Na2SO4 in vacuum.
By distilling SO3 into SCl2, the important chlorinating agent thionyl chloride is produced. This can be used for the production of acetyl chloride from acetic acid, and subsequently acetic anhydride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm glad I only have to work with radioactive stuff and nuclear reactions, chemicals are too scary for me.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BattleMaster posted:

I'm glad I only have to work with radioactive stuff and nuclear reactions, chemicals are too scary for me.

Aw, I imagined you worked with capybaras.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

HopperUK posted:

My illusion is shattered as well :eng99:...are they radioactive capybaras with superpowers?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

DemeaninDemon posted:

That's weak poo poo compared to a lot of chemical manufacturing reagents. Hell you can transport that stuff as a solid and be OK. The real nasty ones are produced and consumed inline on site. Vinyl chloride, the precursor for PVC, for example generally doesn't leave a facility.

It also skeletonizes you if you override a poo poo-ton of safety features to release it into your room so you can explode a dozen of your cowokers.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

HopperUK posted:

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

My illusion is shattered as well :eng99:...are they radioactive capybaras with superpowers?

Ahaha. Well, I'd totally ditch my nuclear engineering career to take care of a capybara exhibit at a zoo :3:

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

BattleMaster posted:

Had my radiological workplace recertification course this morning.

95 % of radiation protection is taking off and putting on articles of Tyvek clothing in the right order, over and over and over an

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
Something just went *FOOF* in Spain and released a cloud of nitrous oxides: http://www.elperiodico.com/es/galerias/catalunya/fotogaleria-explosion-quimica-igualada/81190.shtml

According to the Spanish minister of the interior the cloud is "not dangerous, only irritating to mucous membranes".

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Default Settings posted:

Something just went *FOOF* in Spain and released a cloud of nitrous oxides: http://www.elperiodico.com/es/galerias/catalunya/fotogaleria-explosion-quimica-igualada/81190.shtml

According to the Spanish minister of the interior the cloud is "not dangerous, only irritating to mucous membranes".

If only man.
Then the village would either be getting mad sleepy or meeting god.

In the 'woah dude trippy' sense. Not dead.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Bip Roberts posted:

It also skeletonizes you if you override a poo poo-ton of safety features to release it into your room so you can explode a dozen of your cowokers.

On the scale of badass ways to go chemically converting your body's matter into explosives has to be high up.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
Sorry, that was an error in translation - should have been nitrogen oxides, NOx.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Default Settings posted:

Something just went *FOOF* in Spain and released a cloud of nitrous nitrogen oxides: http://www.elperiodico.com/es/galerias/catalunya/fotogaleria-explosion-quimica-igualada/81190.shtml

To be fair, the linked article says they made people stay inside their houses with windows closed. They also made kids stay inside schools (there was one teacher complaining they didn't have lunch available for kids that normally go home during lunch break). However, locals are reporting that people were disobeying the rules and left their houses anyway.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Carbon dioxide posted:

To be fair, the linked article says they made people stay inside their houses with windows closed. They also made kids stay inside schools (there was one teacher complaining they didn't have lunch available for kids that normally go home during lunch break). However, locals are reporting that people were disobeying the rules and left their houses anyway.
You have to understand that not everyone has grad students they can stick between themselves and harm's way.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I feel terribly sorry for linking to the Daily Fail, but they have a bunch more photos:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l#ixzz3RYyIu4JV

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Carbon dioxide posted:

I feel terribly sorry for linking to the Daily Fail, but they have a bunch more photos:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l#ixzz3RYyIu4JV
:stare: It may be a more common problem in the field of rocket science, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that you stay the gently caress away from orange clouds.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

GWBBQ posted:

:stare: It may be a more common problem in the field of rocket science, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that you stay the gently caress away from orange clouds.

Yeah, I expect that would look just as ominous to someone that did not immediately think NOx.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

HopperUK posted:

Everyone knows capybaras are just giant, radioactive guinea pigs...so there's still a chance he works with them

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

GWBBQ posted:

Any other color clouds to run like hell from?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

7thBatallion posted:

Any cloud that has a color

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

7thBatallion posted:

Honestly you're probably safer just running from every color cloud.

e:f;b

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

In the city where I grew up, there's a chemical plant that mostly handles disposal of hazardous chemicals. Stuff like dioxin etc. can be safely burned at high temperature in special furnaces, and they've sort of carved out a niche doing just that.

The story (which probably isn't true) goes that one day, purple smoke started coming out of the chimneys. Of course, this got people in the surrounding area into a bit of a panic, but there were no alarms or warnings on the radio or anything. So someone from city hall called the plant supervisor and asked what in the world was going on, that they couldn't just start putting out dangerous-looking smoke like that.

The supervisor replied that the rules and regulations did not specify which color the emitted smoke could be, so they were well within their rights to emit any color smoke they wanted to, thank you very much.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Geirskogul posted:

Any cloud that has a color

And to be fair, quite a lot of clouds that don't have colours.

And clouds you can't even see.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Also regular water clouds that are really really hot.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?
Clouds that have four feet are usually OK, though - they swap out one Fluorine for a Flerovium - FlOOF.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Particularly dangerous are those clouds that are on fire. Stay away from those.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

KozmoNaut posted:

In the city where I grew up, there's a chemical plant that mostly handles disposal of hazardous chemicals. Stuff like dioxin etc. can be safely burned at high temperature in special furnaces, and they've sort of carved out a niche doing just that.

The story (which probably isn't true) goes that one day, purple smoke started coming out of the chimneys. Of course, this got people in the surrounding area into a bit of a panic, but there were no alarms or warnings on the radio or anything. So someone from city hall called the plant supervisor and asked what in the world was going on, that they couldn't just start putting out dangerous-looking smoke like that.

The supervisor replied that the rules and regulations did not specify which color the emitted smoke could be, so they were well within their rights to emit any color smoke they wanted to, thank you very much.

Hahahaha, this is excellent, and also terrifying

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
These colored clouds don't run.

Because they're heavier than air and linger.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Truthfully, any cloud that isn't water vapor is probably bad business. Purely white clouds that just happened to erupt from a shell are really bad news (especially if you're a Palestinian), Orange/Black/Smoke colored clouds are also bad business.

But the worst cloud, well, that one is invisible.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I passed a chemical plant getting the bus to school, i've heard that in the event of an explosion (rather than just a fire that happened recently) there is 1-2 mile radius where everyone inside it is pretty hosed. Is that likely to be true?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Jose posted:

I passed a chemical plant getting the bus to school, i've heard that in the event of an explosion (rather than just a fire that happened recently) there is 1-2 mile radius where everyone inside it is pretty hosed. Is that likely to be true?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster

Depends on what's doing all the exploding. But yeah you can safely assume a chemical plant going up is Very Bad poo poo.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Jose posted:

Depends on what they're making. "Chemical" doesn't mean anything in and of itself. Everything is a chemical.

Most plants have nasty intermediates of some sort being piped around, but just how much and how toxic it is will be highly variable.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

All right. Now I know to fear any color cloud, and even invisible ones, except for normal boring clouds (excepting thunderstorms, and things that can spawn tornados.)

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Not fear, merely respect.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I hate having to shave to wear a respirator. Things I do to not die of exposure.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

DemeaninDemon posted:

I hate having to shave to wear a respirator. Things I do to not die of exposure.

Oh don't worry. If you make sure you work with the right chemicals, just take the respirator off for a moment and it'll burn your hairs right off.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Not strictly dangerous, but one of the best chemistry papers I've read for a while: A Simple and Convenient Synthesis of Pseudoephedrine From N-Methylamphetamine

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

DigitalRaven posted:

Not strictly dangerous, but one of the best chemistry papers I've read for a while: A Simple and Convenient Synthesis of Pseudoephedrine From N-Methylamphetamine
This is now my second favorite scientific paper, the first being a paper on how we can eventually save ourselves from solar expansion by moving earth's orbit away from the sun over the next few billion years.

chickie nugs for brekkie
May 17, 2010

Welcome to you're "Doom!"

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Both of those are great- let me contribute another one: The Hipster Effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

DigitalRaven posted:

Those made-up author names. :lol: